Break

The Strays

“Junhui,” I turned to him.

“Yea?” he replied staring at his phone.

I opened my mouth to speak before biting on my bottom lip, “Nevermind,” I mumbled.

He put his phone down and turned to me, “Really?”

“What? Don’t look at me like that,” I covered the left side of my face with my hand.

He wrapped his hand around my wrist and lightly tugged at my wrist, “Come on,” he kept tugging.

“Aw, you two are so cute together,” a voice behind us commented. We both turned to the source of the voice, a girl who I didn’t talk to much sat there with excited eyes, “You two should go out.”

Junhui scoffed and let go of my hand, he got up from his seat and stood next to my seat, “Me and her?” he slung his arm around my shoulder before he placed his head on top of mine, “As if I would with this tiny evil creature,” he my hair with his other hand.

“He’s already dating someone. Plus I like someone else already,” Junhui’s best friend’s face flashed across my mind before disappearing.

“Really? Who’s he dating?” she leaned forward.

“Songi,” I answered.

“Who’s that?” she asked.

“She’s in our grade, we did track and field together last year. By the way how come she didn’t join this year?” I looked up at Junhui.

He removed his head from mine and shrugged.

The bell rung before we could continue the conversation. Everyone stood up and noisily made their way to the door as summer break had just begun.

Junhui and I had made our way out the door and down the stairs in a comfortable silence.

“Are you walking home?” I asked once we got to the front of the school.

He shook his head as he looked around the sea of students, “Taking the bus.”

I looked up at his tall frame once more before he left my side and ran towards another girl with hair just to her shoulders.

I sighed and walked towards my friends with deflated shoulders.

“Where’s Junhui?” They asked me.

“With his girlfriend,” I pointed my head towards where the two were chasing each other around in small circles.

“Everyone let’s take a group picture!”

I was then pushed a few times before we all stood in two rows.

“One! Two! Three!” a shudder went off and we all dispersed.

I stole a glance over to Junhui, “I want to take a picture with him,” I mumbled to Eunkyung.

“You should,” she gave me a slight push towards his direction.

I planted my feet to the ground and shook my head, “I can’t he’s with Songi,” I looked back over to them where he held her phone above his head as she tried to get it back.

“It’s ok, you’ll still see him next year,” Eunkyung elbowed me.

“Right,” I sighed taking my eyes off them.

“Bus is here, you should get going,” Yurin gave me a hug.

I nodded and hugged her back, "Bye," I waved at everyone one last time before making my way to the bus. I slid my card and and took my usual seat near the back, I quietly sat and plugged my headphones in.

Giggling was heard as groups of students piled in, among them was Junhui and Songi hands entwined. They stood together still holding hands as their other hand held onto the bus handle. I turned the volume on my phone even louder to block them out, earning glances here and there from the others on the bus. I stared out at the window trying my best to not glance over at them or their reflections.

The bus came to a stop after awhile and I got off. Looking around Junhui and Songi had gotten off at the same stop walking together. I turned the other way and took a different route home.

Days, weeks passed and not a single call or text from Junhui.

I constantly checked his sns for any updates, but not a single one.

I dropped my phone onto my bed and rolled onto my back side staring at the ceiling.

This summer is going to be boring.

Two weeks passed until an update from Junhui came.

Single 3

I smiled before it quickly faded.

I shouldn’t be smiling about this. He loved her and she made him smile. He probably needs someone there for him.

I looked at phone again contemplating if I should be the first one to text him.

Don’t, he’s a guy he’ll get over it quick. But maybe he needs someone to talk to.

I threw my phone onto my bed and sighed.

A week passed.

My phone rang on my night stand and I rushed over. My shoulders deflated as I saw who it was.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Why do you sound so depressed? Anyway fireworks festival later, don’t be late! We’ll be waiting under the giant oak tree near the shrine. No excuses!” Eunkyung hung up before I could say another word.

A sigh escaped my lips as I got ready even though it wouldn’t start for another two hours. I smoothed down my white shirt and tucked some money into the pocket of my maroon skirt. Tightening my shoelaces I looked up at the time, one hour until it would start.

Leaving the already empty house I walked to the festival by myself.

I’d arrived at the park the festival was to be held at just twenty minutes early.

“Seolhee!” my name  was called. I turned in the direction it came from and Eunkyung and waved to me. I waved back and made my way to them.

“Tonight will be fun!” Eunkyung put her arms around us, “Let’s go!”

We walked around as last minute preparations were put into place. Soon the festival started and we went around each booth playing a few of the games. I stayed in the back and watched most of the times.

“Seolhee! Hurry!” The fireworks are about to start  turned back to me.

“Coming!” I shouted before running over to them.

Boom! Bang! Poof! The fireworks went off. I wonder if Junhui’s watching the same fireworks.