Happy days

When words mean nothing at all

"Sooyoung, your phone is ringing!" Irene unnie calls from her bedroom. I stand up from the dining table and rush to my room.

I hear the familiar tune I assigned especially for him as his name continuously flashes on the screen, 'Choi Junhong' and I immediately pick it up.

"Annyeong~" I greet cutely.

"Annyeong--" His deep voice replies.

"What's up?" I close the door behind me.

"Nothing, just wondering how you are." He stutters a bit.

"I'm okay~" I giggle, using more aegyo than I'm used to. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. A bit tired from Japanese promotions and touring, but I'm good." He laughs on the other line. I can sense how tired he is. "Congratulations on your debut, Joy-ah." He teases.

"Don't call me that!" I laugh.

"Arasseo, Sooyoungie." 

"Thanks for remembering to call."

He chuckles. "How can I forget when you put it as an alarm on my phone?" He pauses. "So, how was your first stage?"

"It was good. I was so nervous!!! But I think it was good." I say in disappointment.

"I'm glad your hard work paid off." I know he's smiling on the other line. "Don't tire yourself out too much."

"I'm not~" I smile. "We're lipsyching though." I admit.

"That's okay, you'll have plenty of chances to sing live."

"Like you?" I tease. I know he's proud of his group for being able to perform live while dancing their rigorous dances-- I'm proud of him too.

"Like me?" He tries to be modest.

I ignore him and continue, "I'm sad I can't promote the same time as you."

"That's okay. We can see each other in other shows."

"And school!" I exclaim excitedly.

"Yes, and school!" He agrees. I like how he always tries to match my energy even though he's just a pretty relaxed guy himself. "Hey," He starts again.

"Hmm?"

"Are you free next Friday, after class?"

"Next Friday?"

"Yeah, I'll be going to Korea for a few days after our music video filming ends."

"Yes! Yes, I'll be free." I exclaim. "It's been a month since I've last seen you."

"You see me in video calls."

"That's not the same~" I complain.

"Alright then, I'll see you after school. I'll pick you up!"

"You're going to use your company car?!" I gasp.

He laughs. "No, we do it the old fashion way-- masks on our faces, taking a taxi~" He rambles.

I sense a bit of disappointment well in me. Nobody knows about us. Nobody but us. Nobody probably will.

"Joy?" He calls out.

"Hmm?"

"You spaced out." He chuckles.

"Sorry!" I laugh. I hear loud noises in his background.

"Ah, yes." He replies to someone else.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I have to go."

"Okay." My voice lacks its usual energy and I think he notices.

"Hey~" He coos out. "I miss you, Sooyoung." If this were a normal face to face conversation, I know he would awkwardly try to hold my hands and swing them.

"I miss you too, Junhong."

"I know." He chuckles.

"I wish you can see me on stage, see how pretty I am~" He laughs.

"I already know how pretty you are. No need to prove it." I blush and I'm thankful it's a call. "I'll see you next Friday, yeah?"

"Yeah." I smile. "Junhong,"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too." He says automatically and I can't help but giggle.

"What's so funny?" He asks.

"I really love you~" He laughs at my profession.

"Me too~"

"Okay! Bye~"

"Bye, Joy-ah." And he hangs up the phone before I even reply.

"Aish!!! That Choi Junhong!" I chuckle as I check his previous messages and miss him even more.