Chapter 1

The Missing Year

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the happy union between Yoo Chang Soo and Lee Ji Yi…"

A woman mused while she read the sign. She was dressed in a simple baby blue dress, a white jacket resting on her shoulders, and black stiletto heels. Her brown hair was tied in a ponytail and she wore natural makeup. She wanted to remain simple as to not overpower the bride. She was the bride's best friend, Jang Yoon Ha.

"The sign seems very positive, but the guests do not." Yoon Ha observed the fake grins of Changsoo's family and scowls of the other daughter-in-laws.

"Why do you say that like you're worried about them?" Her boyfriend asked. He was Choi Joon Ki, best friend of the groom and the groom's trusty partner.

"I know…but I can't help it." Yoon Ha turned to him, but her mind was somewhere else. "I know how these kind of marriages work. Lee Ji Yi is from a lower class while Yoo Chang Soo is a chaebol. Our world is quite rough for those who don’t belong."

"I will tell you to not worry, but she is your best friend so you can't help it. I'll just to tell you this: I can confidently say that Chang Soo will protect her."

Yoon Ha scoffed at that remark. "That spineless bastard couldn't even keep his mother in check. Did you know she nearly got Ji Yi kicked out of her rooftop apartment?"

"Now. Now. Do you know what Chang Soo told me? Apparently, he singlehandedly fixed the problem between Lee Ji Yi and his mother. I know Chang Soo. He's a guy who doesn't like to work for what he wants, yet he was persistent with Ji Yi." Joon Ki replied back. "It's like I said: Chang Soo gave so much of his heart to Ji Yi, he has no room for anyone else."

Through that, Yoon Ha managed to crack a small smile. "It's amazing how you'll back him up no matter what. Didn't he use to command you around like a dog?"

"Yes, that bastard did…I don't know, I guess he has some charming qualities to him."

"He must since you like him so much." Yoon Ha replied back with a smirk. "Tell me. Who are you dating again?"

Joon Ki wrapped his arm around Yoon Ha's shoulder and directed them to the photo booth. "Come on. If we stand out here for too long, we'll miss our picture with the bride and groom and Chang Soo will never let me hear the end of it."

"Seriously, who are you dating?" She remarked again with a playful giggle.

The photo booth was set in a private room away from the paparazzi. Since Chang Soo came from a prominent family and Ji Yi was essentially Cinderella, they attracted quite an amount of press and influential people. Yoon Ha was the youngest of the Jang family, therefore the least interesting, and even she was swarmed with reporters.

Finally, Yoon Ha and Joon Ki made it to the photo booth and they were immediately taken back by their friends. Through the bright lights and soft backdrop, they looked like a power Hallyu couple. Chang Soo decided to maintain his usually unkempt hair and instead of his flashy blazers, he wore a simple black and white tux. Ji Yi transformed into a blushing bride while wearing a beautiful, white dress. She shone with an adorable nature, which made it quite obvious why Chang Soo was lucky to marry her.

"Omo! They're finally here! Jagiya, I told you they wouldn't miss it!" Ji Yi excitedly exclaimed once she saw her best friend.

"Wow! Ji Yi! You look beautiful!" Yoon Ha said as she sat down next to the bride. "I wish I was there to help dress you! I would have ordered in the best wedding dress for you. But I've been so busy lately and-"

"Ah! Ah!" Ji Yi hushed her. "Save your breath. It's okay. Chang Soo's mother took care of everything. She wanted to make sure everything went perfectly."

"Well she got one thing right! You became a bride even I'm envious about!" Yoon Ha hugged her best friend but shot a look at the groom. "I can't exactly say the same about your husband-to-be."

"I know. It took all morning to convince him to gel his hair a little." Ji Yi chirped and also shot a look at him.

Chang Soo merely stared back in disbelief. "Even on my wedding day, these two still gang up on me!? Joon Ki! Aren't you going to do anything about this?"

"Sorry, I can't help you there. I'm too afraid of her." Joon Ki lightheartedly refused. "Congratulations on your marriage. Who would have known that the group playboy will be the first to get hitched? All our college buddies are excited to meet Ji Yi."

"I know. I can't wait to show off my adorable wife!" Chang Soo childishly grinned at Ji Yi, who blushed at his remark.

"Oh stop!"

Joon Ki then asked, "I see you invited Soo Ya to your wedding. Is she alright with everything?"

Ji Yi's eyes perked at the name. "Soo Ya?"

"Oh Ji Yi, she's an ex-girlfriend from college. We're good friends now so I see no problem inviting her too."

Babo… That was the thought running through Yoon Ha's brain. She could already feel Ji Yi's shoulders growing cold and her expression dropping at every second. So she did the next best thing and turned the bride towards the camera. "Smile!"

Flash!

After their photo session, Ji Yi immediately confronted her husband-to-be about the wedding guest debacle. "Jagiya, how come you never told me about your ex-girlfriends coming to our wedding? And exactly how many ex-girlfriends are coming?"

"Ji Yi." Chang Soo held his pouting bride's hands. "What are you mad about? What's bothering you?"

Even at happy times, they still argued a lot over simple matters.

"I'm a little bothered that you invited people that might make me uncomfortable without telling me first." Ji Yi crossly fired at him. "You never told me about your past girlfriends and I'm not talking about your flings. I'm talking about your serious relationships that made your heart waver."

"Ji Yi…I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Soo Ya. She was just a college girlfriend, nothing more. But I invited her because she is my good friend. She and I agreed that we're better off as friends and that's how it's been for a long time." Chang Soo explained, but he noticed that Ji Yi was adamant on staying mad at him.

"I'm just worried that she may do something…" She murmured with a small blush glowing on her cheeks.

Chang Soo finally broke into a smile. So that's what's been worrying her. Even though she was usually straightforward about her feelings, she sometimes grew a little bashful when her jealous nature erupts. So he did what a good boyfriend would do and pulled her close to his chest. "Ji Yi, forgive me please? For not telling you about Soo Ya, can you forgive me?"

Ji Yi sighed and wrapped her arms around him. "I forgive you." Whenever he begs like that, it always melted her defenses.

Chang Soo cheekily smiled and caressed his bride's cheeks. "Besides, why would I be looking at Soo Ya when the most beautiful woman of my world is right here."

Ji Yi blushed again and stifled a laugh. "Geez, those corny lines."

"They work very well on you. See! You're laughing!" Chang Soo excitedly replied back and embraced her again. "So I hope you won't be mad when I tell there's another ex-girlfriend here."

"Chang Soo!"

"Don't worry. She's married. Her husband's here too. You want to meet him?"

"You…Jerk Director….you're so mean." Ji Yi frowned and yanked her husband-to-be down by the collar and planted a firm kiss on his lips.

At the wedding, the MC headed up towards the stage. Everyone sat at there respective table and a meal of salad, fish, and fruits were served to the guests. Yoon Ha and Joon Ki sat at the very front, both excited to see their friends being married off. Finally, Chang Soo confidently walked out when the MC called for the groom.

"It seems they resolved their problems..." Yoon Ha observed how Chang Soo strode out with a happy smile and a small jump in his steps. "By they way  Joon Ki, why did you bring up his ex-girlfriend earlier?"

He smirked at the thought. "Well...how do I put it? That guy is going to be whipped by Ji Yi for the rest of his life. So this is probably the last time I get to mess with him like that."

"Yah Joon Ki! They could have cancelled the wedding because of your prank!"

"Relax. I know Chang Soo will probably drop dead if that were to happen. And besides..." Joon Ki glanced at Soo Ya, who was sitting with the college party. "Soo Ya would be more interested in Ji Yi if anything."

Yoon Ha was a little pissed, but she eventually laughed it off. Impressive. Her boyfriend sure knew how to troll his best friend.

Finally, Ji Yi walked the aisle with a cheerful smile gracing her face. Her large wedding gown floated around her legs as she took her steps. She looked like an angel. She took her spot next to Chang Soo and grinned at her husband-to-be, He, in turn, grinned back. He took her hands and brought her close, pressing his lips against hers for a sweet kiss.

And so, their married life begins.