A Little Back Pain

A Little Back Pain

Taehyung’s back felt like a big, burning bruise. It was an odd pain that he’d never felt before and he had no idea how to relieve the pain besides ibuprofen and ice. He’s pretty positive he’d gotten it from dance practice last night but he hadn’t felt it until this morning and now their manager was banging around in their dorm, waking them up and rushing them to the van for their early morning scheduled radio. He hadn’t even been able to ice it last night, he had been so tired.

The manager knocked on their door one solid time before bursting in and slapping Jimin on the back to wake him and then heading over to Taehyung.

Not wanting the same treatment Taehyung was quick to hop out of bed only to bend over in pain with a groan. The manager rushed him, helping him to stand properly and asking him what’s wrong. Taehyung waved it off as a wrong position in his sleep but Jimin had looked at him a little funnily when he’d walked a little more slow than usual to the bathroom.

God, it hurt when he breathed. Taehyung showered slowly, hissing quietly every time he had to raise his arms to wash his hair. He decided to just do shampoo and still was only able to get out after twelve minutes, five of them with Jin banging on the door telling him to hurry.

He hadn’t had enough time to eat anything because by the time he’d rushed back into his room and took twenty minutes getting his clothes on, the rest of the members were already piling into the car. The only empty seat was next to Jimin and Taehyung sighed a little.

The rest of the members were blissfully tactless while Jimin was basically an empath. Taehyung’s acting skills were going to have to come in handy.

“Why’d it take you forever to get dressed? Did you even eat anything?” Jimin looked over at him, eyebrows lowered in concern.

“Style like this does not happen in five minutes, Jiminnie.” Taehyung expressed with wide eyes, ignoring the last question.

Jimin pursed his lips but said nothing, head resting back on the seat and closing his eyes.

Oh good, he’s going to sleep. That’ll make this ride a lot easier.

Taehyung considered leaning against the window and doing the same but any sudden movements made his breath rush out of him and sharp pains to burn across his upper back. Staying still was probably the best option.

The ride was thirty minutes of Taehyung sitting up straight and saying and doing nothing and while this was usual of the rest of them for an early morning car ride, Taehyung was never this quiet and obedient, no matter the time or where they were going. He didn’t even have headphones in. Jimin was sleeping but Taehyung was avoiding side glances Jin was throwing at him and Rapmon had already poked his cheek, asking if he was okay. They’d seemed to be subdued with Taehyung’s reply of, “Yeah, just tired, hyung,” but the manager was still looking at him funny. Probably remembering this morning, but knowing him he most likely won’t say anything until after the schedule is over.

And that’s okay. Taehyung understood the importance of radio shows and why it was essential to the progression of their band by promoting and getting people to like them through charms and silly questions but Taehyung really wasn’t sure if he’d even be able to lift his arms steadily enough to do a bit of aegyo.

They’d arrived at the radio station and sat down and began streaming live and Taehyung was immediately transformed into his “natural” self. He may have been a little more quiet than usual but he tried to smile as much as he could and put in his remarks whenever he normally would have. Namjoon was sitting next to him and seemed to understand that Taehyung wasn’t much for talking today and bud in whenever Taehyung was in the middle of a sentence and stopped, losing his train of thought because of the pain coursing through his shoulders and neck and spine.

It was getting pretty bad, probably even worse than it had been in the morning and truthfully, Taehyung was holding back tears when he’d had to lift his arm near the end for their signature goodbye. He angled his head down for the rest of the broadcast, trying to hide the pain most likely shining in his eyes.

Jeongguk’s on his other side and he’d been spacing out during the whole broadcast like he normally does but when the cameras had left them to focus on the other members to film their goodbye and last statements, Taehyung felt the younger’s eyes cut to him and linger, probably watching Taehyung’s stiff way of sitting, right on the edge of his seat, spine straight and staring down at his lap, breathing slow and lip curled in the slightest.

Taehyung saw Jeongguk make to lean over from the corner of his eye and he flicked his head up to look over at Jeongguk with a little smile and wide, innocent, pain-free eyes. Well, the best that he could, at least.

“Hyung, you alright?” Jeongguk spoke softly, mouth angled away from both his and Taehyung’s microphone but big brown eyes looking at Taehyung searchingly, mouth turned in a slight frown. Taehyung looked around and saw Jimin looking at them, scratching his ear curiously.

Taehyung looked back at Jeongguk’s open concerned face and was almost convinced to tell the truth because of how rare and genuine concern from Jeongguk was, but the broadcast still wasn’t over.

Taehyung raised his eyebrows in mock surprise and tilted his head confusedly, “I’m fine, Jeonggukie.” Jeongguk was still looking at him, though, so he added in a “Don’t worry, I’m just tired.”

He’d expected the statement to be enough to quell the boy’s concerns and for him to just nod in understanding and then go on with his normal business like the rest of them had, but Jeongguk just kept staring at him, eyes running up and down Taehyung’s form, trying to figure it out.

Jeongguk was an open book when he was like this and Taehyung would’ve kicked him for giving him that look on broadcast but the movement would probably hurt too much, and by now it took all that he could in order to just control his facial expressions and to not groan out loud every time that he took a breath.

The broadcast was already over, though, and now all of the members were getting up and moving into the corner of the room to take selfies with the hosts and each other. Taehyung waited for all of the members to get up and angle all of their backs to him before he moved to get up. It wasn’t going to be pretty.

He tried his best to avoid using his arms and attempted to stand from the chair without scooting it back and somehow succeeded with only a little groan and a nasty twist of his face that he carefully angled at the ground. His first step, though, had probably been the most painful thing Taehyung had ever experienced in his whole life and by the time he’d made his way over, he was swaying on his feet and his eyes were bleary and unfocused.

He heard a woman counting to three and doggedly turned his face in that direction with a stretch of his lips that most certainly looked like a grimace instead of the bright smiles the other members were wearing.

Everything was happening in a blur around him and Taehyung’s heart stuttered a little in fear. Suddenly, the realization that he might pass out from how bad this pain was was ringing through his head and he focused his eyes on a spot in front of him instead of closing them like he wanted to.

That spot happened to be Jeongguk’s shoulder, as the boy had been steadily making his way towards Taehyung, same concerned look etched softly into his face. He approached Taehyung and his eyes were so soft and worried that Taehyung didn’t bother to hold back the urge to fall against him, feigning tiredness. The movement surprisingly didn’t hurt so bad as before and he had a single fleeting thought that, maybe his back was getting better but then he felt Jeongguk’s hand there, massaging into the skin and muscle.

Taehyung gasped loudly and sprung his head up from where it was resting on Jeongguk’s shoulder to arch is back away from the touch. All across the top of his back and down his spine was burning and his lungs weren’t working enough to breath but somehow they allowed a loud shout of excruciating pain before Taehyung collapsed to the floor, legs going limp.
He was so tired and his back hurt so much and his stomach was roiling when it should’ve been grumbling with hunger. He wanted to throw up with the amount of discomfort that was coursing through his body but then, as s and the radio DJ’s crowded around him worriedly he felt panic throb in his heart. He didn’t want to do anything bad, Namjoon-hyung always said to try not to cause trouble for others and that’s exactly what Taehyung was doing. They were all going to be so mad.

But then Jeongguk was there, kneeling beside him with his eyes wide and wet, his hands gripping Taehyung’s shirt. “Hyung! Hyung, what’s wrong?” Jeongguk’s lips quivered and he looked like might cry. “I’m sorry, hyung, I didn’t mean to.”

Taehyung forgot all his worries and pain and focused on the fact that Jeonggukie was about to cry and it goddamn better not be because of him. He raised a hand to meet Jeongguk’s, still fisted in his shirt front, and at it comfortingly. “It’s okay, Jeonggukie. It’s just a little back pain.”

And that might have been believable but the whole sentence sounded wheezy and breathless and Jimin was right behind Jeongguk, yelling at the managers to go get help and Jin was at his head, worrying his lip and muttering something about him looking pale and why didn’t you tell us sooner? Rapmon and Hoseok-hyung were kneeling at his left, expressing similar questions and Taehyung’s head swam at the unexpected concern. It was almost worse.

Taehyung closed his eyes as another wave of pain plundered through him along with the embarrassment of his situation. “A little back pain my .” He heard Jeongguk mutter, more concern edging the statement than irritation.

Before he could retort, though, he felt a hand roughly grab at his shoulder, a shout, and then all there was was blinding pain, red bursting across the backs of his eyelids as his back muscles surely seem to light on fire, and then nothing.

~

Taehyung woke up on a floor, this one different from the one he passed out on. He recognized it as the carpeted floor of his, Jimin, and Hoseok’s bedroom and groaned a little as he shifted.

“Hyung! Don’t move yet!” A hand lightly but quickly settled onto his chest and Taehyung recognized the voice as Jeongguk’s, the boy leaning over him, black hair ruffled and skewed, carefully styled hair from before completely gone and replaced with the evidence of finger worried hair, his eyes strained and red.

“Jeongguk?” Taehyung said, voice bleary with newly regained consciousness but considerably less pain filled as his back was feeling a lot better.

“Hyung, you can’t move yet. The doctor said to lay you flat on the ground so your back can settle into a natural position or something.” Jeongguk flicked his eyes over Taehyung’s torso before returning to look at him earnestly. “So you can’t move, hyung.”

Taehyung took a deep breath and let it out slowly, relief flowing through him when he realized the movement only caused a fraction of the pain it had been before. “Okay, Kookie, I won’t.” He stretched a hand to rest comfortingly on the hand that was clutching at his shirt front like before and Jeongguk visibly settled, collapsing a little against Taehyung’s chest.

“We were really worried, Tae.” Jeongguk’s thumb that wasn’t captured in Taehyung’s hand was playing with a button on Taehyung’s shirt, forehead scrunching and eyes fixed on something not in front of him, a dark look passing over his facial features.

“Hey, Kookie, it’s okay. I’m fine, it hurts a lot less now.” Taehyung said sincerely, head tilting to catch Jeongguk’s eyes.

Jeongguk just nodded a little, taking a deep breath and smiling small at Taehyung. The look made Taehyung forget all about what happened at the radio station and the little irks of pain still pricking along his spine. The only time he’d gotten a look like this from Jeongguk was a few months ago when he’d waken up one morning on the floor of Jeongguk and Namjoon-hyung’s room. They’d spent the whole night up playing video games on the x-box they kept in their room while Namjoon stayed out all night with Yoongi at the studio. It was a hazy night filled with cans and cans of soda and yelling and laughing and mock-crying at the game, throwing remote controls at each other and giving celebratory hugs whenever they got past a checkpoint that had been giving them hell. It’d been around three in the morning when Taehyung started to get drowsy, scooting over in between Jeongguk’s open legs to lean back against his chest comfortably, nuzzling his head into the younger’s shoulder. He’d played a little like that, Jeongguk’s arms wrapped around his waist and chin resting on his hair as he watched their characters on the television screen become slower and slower before Taehyung’s stopped moving all together.

He’d gently plucked the controller from his hyungs hands before reaching for the remote to switch the TV off without rousing the boy. He’d been so lethargic himself by that point that he’d let the weight and warmth of the older in front of him lull him to sleep as he lent them to the side a little to spread Taehyung across his chest instead, side pressed against the perfectly vacant bed.

Taehyung had woken up that morning to a soft, encompassing warmth wrapped around him and Jeongguk’s warm gaze watching him, a small smile on his face akin to the one he was wearing right now. The look had sent blood rushing to his cheeks upon just waking up and his tongue to trip over empty words, not really knowing what to say in the face of such fondness.

He’d regrettably shot out of Jeongguk’s arms, mumbling something about being hungry, and did Namjoon and Yoongi-hyung come home last night? He’d hurried to the kitchen to join Jimin in making some cereal while his heart raced and the image of Jeongguk’s shining brown eyes settling on him so - so - flashed in his head and Taehyung reflected on the moment over and over. Eyes unfocused and peering at nothing as he distractedly shoveled cereal into his mouth, most of it running down his chin than actually reaching his tongue. Jimin laughed at him but Taehyung was still stuck on the fluttering feeling roiling around in his stomach. It felt a lot like nervousness but his breath wouldn’t slow down either and the warmth from Jeongguk’s arms was still burning across his skin.

Jeongguk hadn’t acted any different, though, just stumbled out a few minutes later rubbing at his eyes tiredly and reaching for the box of cereal.

And now Jeongguk was giving him that look again and Taehyung wasn’t able to run away, didn’t want to, in fact. He enjoyed the warmth that blossomed within him. The feeling of comfort and adoration that spread throughout Taehyung in a moment that would otherwise be confusing and unsettling was nice.

Taehyung swiped his thumb over the back of Jeongguk’s soft knuckles and didn't have to try very hard to return the look ten-fold. Jeongguk’s smile only grew at Taehyung's look knowingly and he let out a soft laugh.

“Hyung, guess what?” His eyes and nose scrunched adorably in amusement and Taehyung bit his lip. He's so cute.

“What?” Taehyung asked, hand moving to rest against the smiling cheek lovingly.

“You threw out your back,” Jeongguk laughed, “You’re old, hyung.”

“Yah!” Taehyung yelled, mock-angrily tapping Jeongguk’s cheek punishingly. “I’m only two years older than you!” He pulled at Jeongguk’s ear as the boy fell against his chest in little giggles and he failed at keeping a façade and grinned at Jeongguk instead.

Once the boys giggles died down and Jeongguk rested against Taehyung’s chest, eyes fluttering tiredly, and small smile still in place, Taehyung asked what had been on his mind.

“Jeongguk, what happened at the radio station? Why did I pass out?”

He watched as Jeongguk’s brows furrowed at the memory and he kind of wanted to take back the question for making the happy little smile disappear but then Jeongguk said, “One of the managers grabbed your shoulder because he was trying to help you sit up. Namjoon-hyung got really angry at him.” Taehyung a hand through the younger’s hair.

“Oh.” Namjoon-hyung had always been a little over-protective when it came to Taehyung so it made sense. But he was still surprised that he hadn’t gotten mad at him when he’d collapsed in front of everyone and made such a loud noise. Taehyung always managed to make trouble somewhere and he’d been trying really hard lately to stay calm and not be inconvenient.

“I-Is Namjoon-hyung angry at me?”

Jeongguk’s chin tilted up to peer at Taehyung confusedly. “Why would he be angry at you?”

Taehyung blinked at him. It was obvious, Taehyung thought. He wouldn’t be surprised if Jeongguk was the only one who wasn’t mad at him for the scene he'd managed to pull.

Before he could reply, though, the door creaked open and Hoseok’s head poked through. “Jeongguk, are you - oh! He’s awake!” He pulled back and shouted behind him. “Guys! He’s awake!” And then the rest of the members were piling into the small room, folding their legs and sitting around Taehyung and Jeongguk, much like they’d been sitting around him at the radio station.

“You feeling okay, Taetae?” Jimin asked, eyes round and worried, not mad at all. Taehyung looked around. None of them looked annoyed or angry in even the slightest; all of their faces mirrored Jimin’s, earnestly expressing concern for his well-being. And of course they would be. He must have hit his head during his fall earlier because it started to become increasingly obvious to Taehyung that s may get annoyed at him sometimes when he acted out, but they would always be there for him in the end. Just like they were now.

“I-I’m fine. Honest.”

Jin narrowed his eyes at him, “Yeah, well that’s what you said earlier too.” He pointed out, no real spite in his words.

But Taehyung looked at all of his team members - his friends, his brothers - surrounding him, gazes concerned and not irked in the slightest and his heart swelled even more.

“No,” he smiled at them. He looked down at Jeongguk still resting against his chest, eyes still holding the soft adoration he was becoming really fond of and carded his hand through the younger’s hair again, watching as he leaned into it. “Really, I’m okay now.”