Final

The hours in between
are you up? 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
yeah, fine, i get that its midnight right now. but i know you're still awake, kim taehyung. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
hey. you saw that message. why aren't you replying? :( 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
alright, i'm coming over. don't say i didn't warn you. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Seokjin hastily puts on a sweater and some pants before sliding out through his room's window. He doesn't bother to close his eyes as he jumps, and unfortunately his knees collide with the moist grass of his garden. Seokjin stays on the ground for a second; just to make sure his parents don't wake up and think there's a burglar. 
 
Then, quietly, he stands and makes his way out of his porch. The air is chilly and silent, and Seokjin was glad that he chose to wear a sweater. The neighborhood was dead and void of any life, only the streetlights keeping Seokjin company. He crosses the road dividing his and Taehyung's house. 
 
Seokjin looks up and his suspicions are proven right. The lights in Taehyung's room were still on. That meant that the latter was still up and hence he has literally committed a crime for not replying to Seokjin's texts. He picks up a few pebbles and starts to flick them at Taehyung's window, hoping the boy would get the hint and let him in. 
 
Still, no reply. It was strange. Taehyung usually would - welcoming or not - open his window, eyes groggy, and stare back down at Seokjin, flipping his hyung off for disturbing his peace. Then Taehyung would still let Seokjin enter though, as long as his parents don't wake up. 
 
Something was wrong. This has happened, once, Seokjin thinks. When Min Yoongi in high school bullied him and Taehyung didn't reply to Seokjin's texts nor pebble throwing that night. This was the exact same thing; and worry started to sink in for him. 
 
Seokjin was actually considering climbing the pillars up to Taehyung's balcony when the balcony doors creaked open and Taehyung's head popped through slightly. Seokjin resists the urge to smile at how stupidly cherubic Taehyung seemed; his orange hair sticking out in odd cowlicks and that innocent, dazed look. 
 
It was dark, and so Seokjin couldn't really see very well, but with slight squinting, Taehyung's eyes looked a whole lot of red and swollen. Like he cried
 
"Hyung," Taehyung's hushed voice called out," what are you doing here?" 
 
"To see my Taehyung," Seokjin gives broad grin, returning the gaze the younger was giving him," he didn't reply to my texts, and I was getting a little worried next door." 
 
Seokjin could see Taehyung's eyes crinkle into crescents, and a warm emotion hugs him inside. 
 
"Go back to sleep, hyung," Taehyung replies and attempts to smile, but its a rueful one and Seokjin knows that he's trying to fake it. 
 
"Let me in, Taehyung." 
 
He could see the younger protesting, but in the end he relented and disappears back into the house. The front door unlocks quietly and Taehyung emerges, head low and toes wriggling awkwardly. 
 
"You're cute," Seokjin whispers, and Taehyung looks up in surprise. 
 
"Shut up," he socks Seokjin in the arm, his lips forming a small, defiant pout. Cuter. 
 
Seokjin grabs the younger's cold hand and they walk back to Taehyung's room, careful not to arouse his parents. After a stealthy route, Seokjin leaps onto Taehyung's bed as if it was his own. 
 
"What's wrong?" Seokjin asks nonchalantly, scooting over to leave space for Taehyung to sit. 
 
"Nothing...just doing some homework." 
 
Seokjin barks out a laugh. 
 
"I've known you since we were milk from our moms' s," Seokjin jokes and Taehyung scoffs amusedly,"I know when you're lying. Spill it, V." 
 
"Oh, alright," Taehyung sighs loudly and flops on his back next to Seokjin. The both of them face the ceiling, staring at particularly nothing, just hanging onto each other's words. 
 
"You know that guy..Jungkook," Taehyung starts," he's a real good friend, and I don't hate him or anything...but something happened." 
 
"And....?" Seokjin impatiently coaxes and Taehyung rolls his eyes playfully, he then puffs his cheeks with air and sighs. 
 
"And I didn't get in," he says in a small voice, like he had stage-fright and there was a whole audience in front of him, but in reality there was just Seokjin," the university, I mean. I didn't get in. And Jungkook did."
 
Seokjin lets out a held breath in response, staying silent and waiting for Taehyung to continue. 
 
"You know how Jungkook is; he parties like crazy with Hoseok and Jimin. He doesn't work as hard as me. But yet...he's better. At everything we do. I..I don't understand it sometimes," Taehyung begrudgingly says and subconsciously plays with his own fingers. 
 
"Aw, come here," Seokjin pulls the younger into his arms and starts to tickle him. Taehyung shrieks and jumps off the bed, a funny insulted expression on his face. He storms off to the balcony and leaves Seokjin laughing silently, holding the sides of his stomach. 
 
"Its not funny!" Taehyung whines. 
 
"But that cheered you up, didn't it?" Seokjin shoots back, smug because he knows he's right. 
 
"And you're great at comforting, Kim Seokjin!" Taehyung sarcastically remarks, an embarrassed blush painting his cheeks. 
 
Seokjin gets up and walks to the balcony, standing beside Taehyung. Its cold, and he doesn't get why Taehyung liked the cold so much. They're different, the both of them. Seokjin wouldn't really care so much about grades but more of the experience, while Taehyung, well, he's the opposite. 
 
"Sorry, V," Seokjin chuckles a little at the night sky,"don't worry. This isn't the end. Its just that you've got to know that life doesn't give you the best all the time, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather colour my life with the chaos of trouble." 
 
"Now you're just quoting a song," Taehyung mutters, leaning stubbornly against the railing. 
 
"Hey, be thankful," Seokjin retorts and gently his hand finds his way to Taehyung's which was hanging freely outside the railing,"I could be watching smtm4 right now." 
 
Taehyung doesn't answer but he knows that his silence was acknowledged from Seokjin as a note of gratitude. 
 
Because with the cold wind tousling their hair and the stars smiling down on them; it's far from perfect, but with Seokjin by his side right now, Taehyung knows it can't get any better than this.