Within the old books

Black Dog

 

Twelve days have gone by since his encounter with the black dog. He hadn't seen him again and that's one of the reasons he likes to tell himslelf that maybe he was just dreaming, it was probably just a nightmare he shouldn't be worried about but even so he finds himself re-reading for the third time in a row all those books that has something about black dogs, even if it's just a paragraph. There's something he must be missing out, becasue in none of his books theres the mention of black dogs acting out as protectors neither guardians even less guides.
 
 
 
That's why he's walking to the library just to see if there's something worth of reading over there even when he knows people will start looking weirdly at him once again.
 
-Pardon me, do you still have the old paranormal, witchcraft and mythology section open?-
 
He asked quietly to the girl with glasses on the counter watching her eyes go from thin lines to round circles in a second showing the shock for having someone actually inquiring for that specific section.
 
-Well sir, that section was banned by the governor a few months ago... but we still have the books up on the storage room. You're lucky though as they were set to be burn out next week-
 
He was being lead by the thin librarian up stairs when someone came up to here to let her know that someone was requesting her assistance.
 
-Sir, just go straight down the hall and up the stairs on the right, here's the key to the storage room. I'll be around if you need me.-
 
He waited a few seconds and after she bowed down and went away he walked thru the hallway glancing at the few people reading this and that.
 
 
 
Hundreds of shelves and thousands of books covered with an old white thick layer of dust, few spiderwebs on the corners of the aged wood and the sound of numerous leaks dripping the echoing through the whole storage room. He let settled down his yellowish messanger bag on the small table at the end of the room and walked cautiously as he started looking thoroughly around the books.
 
Taking the few he found substantial to the table with him gently tapping the flickering light bulb. After what seemed like three hours there but were really thirthy mere minutes he sighed loudly. He wont be able to read here.
 
-It's imposible-
 
He pulled backwards from his chair just enough to look out the hall to see if anyone was around as he slided four of the books he thought would hold the best information onto his messenger bag. It definitly was obvious... just looking at the bulge they formed he knew he would get caught. But if he didn't take them with him now next time they would be in flames. Such a waste of knowledge.
 
He spent two more hours reading those books he couldn't take with him, those that were or too big, too heavy or too extensive. He just found some details he already knew due to his conclusions along the way but that werent one the books he had at home. Like the fact that black dogs does not limit themselve to an specific economic or social class but they're more like just find the perfect chance to hunt someone down. Man, woman, old folks, it didn't mattered for the black dogs as long as there is something your guilty about. It won't stop till it achived what they believe to be justice.
 
The librarian showed up only once to ask if he was in need of help and left right after he refused kindly the assistance offered. Going back to his re-search right away.
 
It is believed by many that black dogs starts their hunting doing mental harm the feeling of despair, fear, despondency being the firsts reactions from those who had been able to make reports about them, followed in after some time with physical harm caussing accidents of some sort. Death being the third and final step.
 
Once they set their fiery eyes on you, it's over.
 
Hyukjae noted down on his thin notebook with his tangled hand writting few more details before getting back up to store the books back on place ready to leave.
 
On his way out he handed the keys to the assitant at the library asking him to give his thanks to the librarian who has been of great help knowing how people here hated those who looked beyond what the rules allow. Night was falling and being his free day he was able to head home early stoping only once at the market to buy some fresh fruits making his way home not long after.
 
 
 
He was getting restless. Who was Kyuhyun really? Why would he ever need the protection of anyone more over a black dog? Who sent Kyuhyun? All those inquiries floated around his mind as he fell into a deep slumber on his couch facing the fired up fireplace and book in hand.
 
He was rudely woken up from his peaceful sleep with aloud howl of pain sitting automatically and feeling his arm numbed as he looked around only to find the black dog already on his human shape all breathing rapidly on the floor backing up against the door as he let another loud howl while holding onto the left side of his torso.
 
There was another pain filled growl before Hyukjae finally snapped out his dazed running towards the kitchen to get a clean rag kneeling besides Kyuhyun once he was back in front of the black dog. Pulling up the clothe covering the man's torso feeling his hands tremble a little as they got near the wound pressing the rag lightly on it closing his eyes tightly at the sound of another roar.
 
-You better keep it low or everyone in the neighborhood will know you're here-
 
-...It hurts like hell you know?-
 
Hyukjae opened his eyes quickly as he felt a strong hand on his. Eyes wandering around the other's face covered in a thin layer of sweat before landing on his eyes. Slowly drowning himself in them. How can he be so flawless? 'Stop it already! He's a black dog, he might kill you in any second...'
 
-You better than anyone know I cant-
 
-What?-
 
-Kill you, I have orders. I'm here to guard you, protect you. If anything happens to you I'll loose my head-
 
He took slipped his hands out the black dog's hold as he walked back to the kitchen to fetch a new rag and few gauze pads to bandage the wounded beast. Or should he address him as a human? 'I don't know anymore' He tought pausing for a second in the middle of the living room watching as
Kyuhyun made himself comfortable on the couch.
 
-Why are you here?-
 
-I told you earlier I'm your guardian, I need to be where you are-
 
He chuckled softly before taking the blood covered rag out the way to clean it up a little bit more around the deep scrapes so he could bandage the wound securely.
 
-You were gone for almost two weeks..-
 
-I need to settle some things before coming back-
 
-What happened to you?-
 
-Nah, not much just occupational hazards... nothing out of the ordinary-
 
He asked taking with him the bloody rag throwing it on the trash can, to begin washing his hands hands thoroughly. Felling his body freeze at the mention of Kyuhyun's job. How many innocent lives has he ended? He may not be here to kill him but how many have died on his hands?
 
The boy jumped a little, his whole body tensed completely at the feeling of Kyuhyun's breath against his cheek as the latter shut off the water tap.
 
-Hyukjae, there are so many things you don't know... so many things you won't be able to learn from books. You have the hability, the skill to see things not many see... You just need to open your eyes, your soul, so you can feel. Not all of us black dogs are intended to kill. There are those that yes, are the indubitable purveyor of death and evilness but there are those like me, who serve more like a protector, a guardian, a helper, a guide to those who deserve it. Only those special enough are able to experience this...-
 
He gulped in the first place nodding soon after feeling a little faint by the proximity of Kyuhyun's body. Never in his life has he been this close to anyone, well except that guy at work what's his name again? Siwon? but Siwon was more like a brother than anything so he didn't really count. Wondering as well how does Kyuhyun knows his name?
 
-You look pretty when you're flustered-
 
And he felt like an idiot when he heard the low chuckle Kyuhyun let out before walking back to the couch.