Drive

Drive

“Are we meeting tonight?” Seo Joohyun texted, wondering if she could meet her friend tonight.

*Beep* A text came in. “Yeah. Where are we going though?” the text said. She thought for a moment and realized that she, too, had no idea where to go or what to do. She just wanted to see him.

“I don’t know. Let’s just go for a drive and see where we end up.” she replied. She started thinking of places they could go to since it was quite late into the night already. She sat up on her bed stretching and then scratched her head listing the probable places they could hang out just the two of them.

*Beep* “Okay. Let me nap for a bit. I’ll pick you up later. Call me in an hour or two.” She sighed reading the text. She replied and plugged in her phone to charge. She got up and decided to spend that time watching some television.

--

*ring ring*

It’s been almost two hours when she decided that there was nothing to watch.

*ring ring*

“Wake uppp. Pick uppp.” she muttered under her breath.

*Click* “Hmm. Hello?” the voice said.

“Come on. Get up. We’re going out now. I’ll wait downstairs in 20 minutes.” I hung up and started to get ready.

--

I was looking at my watch when a car I recognised pulled up in front of me. I took in a deep breath calming myself then stood up and got in. I looked at him as he looked at me. Those eyes. He smiled at me. I watched his lips move. Those lips I miss.

“Joohyun? Hyun?” snapped me back to reality. “Where to?” he asked. I smiled back.

“Let’s go to our usual place” I said while looking forward. Ah, how I miss his voice. He gave a knowing smile and drove off. We have a sort of comfortable silence. It was comfortable being with him. I took his cigarette pack and lit a stick. He rolled down the windows for me while I smoked in silence enjoying the music from the radio. Naturally humming or singing if I knew the song.

“Hyun?” I nodded. “I heard you’re planning a trip end of this year. Japan was it? Who are you going with?”

“I don’t really know.” I pouted. “I wanted to go with Hyeoyeon initially, but she doesn’t know if she can save enough by then. You know work, school, and bills.” He nodded. “Why? Want to go with??” I asked hoping he would say yes.

“I don’t know. I don’t have the money too you know.” He stated. “Oh look, a drive-in. Want to grab something?” I nodded remembering how I was in need of a snack.

--

Wow. The place looks so much more beautiful tonight. I got out of the car and motioned him to sit at the back of the car with me. He muttered something which I did not quite catch and sat with me at the back. He took a handful of the fries that we bought and started munching.

“So someone’s turning a year older this Friday” I nudged him.

He chuckled. “So you remembered huh?”

“Of course I do. I even remember the exact moment when you told me when your birthday the day we first spoke.” I said in a matter of fact.

“Oh? That was your first memory of us talking?? I don’t think that was it.” He rebutted.

We started reminiscing about how we first met. How he thought I was cute and insisted that he wanted to have conversation with me because it was his birthday. I laughed thinking how funny it was. He told me about his opinions of me when we first got to know each other. While the cold wind blew, our memories from 6 years ago came with it. After all the laughter, we were back to that comfortable silence. I reached out to grab some fries when he grabbed my hand and held it. Oh my. What is he doing? He rubbed my hands together warming it up from the cold. I smiled at him.

“I’ve missed you, Hyun.” Those few words hit me so hard bringing me back to where I was 6 years ago. I missed you too. He looked at me with those soulful eyes, holding my face and then caressing my cheek. I looked into his eyes, trying to tell him how I really felt without any words. I could not bring myself to tell him that I missed him too. After all those years trying to let go of whatever feelings I had for him. I did not want to put myself back in that position. I pushed his hands away and stood up and turned away.

I put my hands in my pocket trying to calm myself down when I felt his arms around me. I tried to wriggle away but he held me tight. I gave up and turned to face him, hugging him back. What are you doing, Seo Joohyun. He looked at me and lightly placed his lips on mine. I was out of my mind. How I missed the softness of his lips on mine. Seo Joohyun, stop it. I pulled myself away from him and tried to compose myself.

He took a step forward, and I took a step back.

“I know you’ve missed me too, Hyun. I’ve held it in for too long. It was a mistake having you as a friend and nothing more. Let me make it right, Hyun.” He took another step forward holding out his hands, I turned away and took a few steps letting my tears fall.

“Let me make it right. Let me show you that this time it won’t be a mistake. Let’s start afresh.” He said while walking to me. He lifted my chin and wiped away my tears. “Let me be the one who makes you cry, but let me also be the one to wipe it away”.

I looked at him and let out a little smile. I’m crazy to be in love with this guy. He let out his toothy little grin that I feel in love with in the beginning. The wind blew a little stronger and I shivered slightly.

“Hyun, will you let me keep you warm on future windy days like tonight?”

I chuckled at his timely cheesiness.

I hugged him and said, “You need to work on your pick up lines, Yong.”

Yonghwa just laughed and held her tightly.

"I'll pick you over a fireplace anytime" I said smiling.