Blood

Feud

VmSCSJC.png

It was a regular day and the best part of school arrived promptly at 12:30 PM. Two girls walked side by side carrying their trays in the cafeteria.

“Where are you going?”

“To that empty table… to eat?”

“No you're not. I told you this morning that I promised we’d eat with Seolhyun today. Her table’s over there.”

Hyejeong groaned. “You were being serious? C’mon, doesn’t she have enough friends already? Why does she want to steal mine?”

Mina rolled her eyes. “You're so dramatic. Are you ever going to tell me why you hate her so much?”

The taller girl sat down on the table with a pout. “I told you it wasn’t like that. Anyway, whatever. It’s fine. I can just eat by myself.”

The image was too sad. Mina found her pitiful. She sighed and occupied the opposite seat from her. She didn’t have it in her to ditch the selfish cheerleader; she was her best friend after all, she had the obligation to stick by her side through whatever childish or absurd situation. At first she thought she’d get over whatever it was that she had with the new transfer student once she saw how kind she was but it didn’t seem like that was the case. She wanted to know what her problem was but she also knew Hyejeong wouldn’t tell her anything unless she wanted to. She glanced over a couple tables to where Seolhyun was sitting with a group of people. Their eyes met and Mina gave her an apologetic smile before texting her about their absence – making sure to omit the fact that one of them didn’t want to sit with her and instead saying that particular person was feeling antisocial that evening.

She received an understanding reply in return.

Hyejeong was happy getting her way, not seeming to notice the girl she wanted to avoid staring at her quizzically. An amazing skill she had obtained from the moment she met Kim Seolhyun was the ability to tune her out. This was impressive for two reasons: 1) They had only met last week and 2) Seolhyun was really damn hot. Like lethal, she could kill you if she wanted to, hot. Many people would say firsthand that it was near impossible to ignore such a pretty face and yes, Hyejeong would admit she struggled when she first saw those bright eyes, cute nose, and alluring lips. But Hyejeong knew it was best not to associate herself with the new girl and so she didn’t.

This wasn’t very difficult to do as Seolhyun’s popularity was evident from her very first day at FNC High. Everywhere she went, hoards of students both male and female surrounded her. Crazy rumors had spread that she was signed under a famous entertainment agency, previously modeled overseas, and had a powerful chaebol dad. Hyejeong only knew 1 of the 3 to be false but she didn’t care to debunk them. The student body believed whatever they wanted to believe and since the moment they were graced by her beauty, Seolhyun was God – or at least Wonbin status.

This was good.

Because if Seolhyun had many people in her life, then she didn’t have to feel too guilty for keeping 1 person away. She wanted to tell Mina the reason why she couldn't go along with her in making friends but she probably wouldn’t get it.

“Couldn’t keep away from me could you?” Hyejeong winked.

“Tsk, I felt sorry for you... You’re such a loner.” Mina scoffed. "You'll tell me sometime in the future right? Whatever it is."

She started to dig into her bibimbap, ignoring the insult and nodding noncommittally at her words but she glanced ever so often at her friend as she chewed. She felt relieved when they moved on to talk about some dumb thing that happened in one of their classes. 

No, Mina wouldn't probably get it. 

How could she when she didn't get it herself?

+

Cram school was cancelled that day. She left after cheerleading practice at 6:30.

“I’m home.”

“Welcome back!” A voice belonging to her mother called out to her from what she guessed to be the kitchen.

Hyejeong took off her shoes and tossed her backpack on the couch. She smelled something good, something delicious. She could tell instantly it was beef. Her nose never failed to identify the tasty delicacy.

Sure enough, she could see meat when she entered. Her mom must’ve been in a good mood or something incredible had happened.

She decided to ask. “What’s the occasion?”

“Your appa got promoted at work. Isn’t that great! That idiot finally getting something right.” The older but still gracious woman joked with a laugh.

“That’s great news.” She was truly happy for her dad but she couldn’t keep her eyes away from the food. was basically watering.

“After what happened last week with those b*stard neighbors of ours, it sure is nice that we’re being rewarded.”

Hyejeong tore her gaze away and stared at her mother.

“Those Kims… snobby bunch.” The disdain on her face every time she talked about them still vexed Hyejeong. “Their daughter’s pretty but I bet she’s just like them. She’s in your class right?”

The familiar feeling of discomfort flowed through her but she ignored it. She nodded to answer her question.

“How is she?”

“Dunno. She’s already really popular and stuff but we haven't talked. I’m not too interested in her.”

“That’s great Hyejeong-ah.” She wiped her hands on her apron and put her right palm on her daughter’s cheek. “It’s best you do that. Are you hungry? Do you want a plate?”

Hyejeong shook her head. “I’m okay. I have to finish some homework anyway.”

She left, grabbing her backpack on her way upstairs to her room.

She let herself relax, noticing her window open wide showing the house of the Kim family.

Hyejeong let her mind wander, her eyes unfocused as she stared at the house next to hers. After a few minutes, she shook whatever thoughts she had away.

She got up to close the window.

It doesn’t matter.