The Project

The Project

[CONTENTID1]The Project[/CONTENTID1] [CONTENTID2]by EeteuksAngel[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]Grace hurried through the crowded building, purse strapped on one shoulder and a small, black briefcase in the opposite hand. “Hold the elevator, please!” she called out in rather a soft, low voice as her white heels clopped against the shiny, tiled floor. She quickened her pace as everyone in the elevator seemed too preoccupied with their cell phones to give heed to her request. Her body came to an abrupt halt as the elevators doors slid to a shut.

A chuckle echoed behind her. “Is someone running late this morning?”

She turned to look back and saw her best friend and fellow colleague, Kyuhyun, standing there. He was a rather tall man, who always seemed to have a mischievous look about his eyes or mouth if he wasn’t secretly plotting something in that mind of his. His suit was ed and his hands were shoved casually in his trouser pockets as he stood there with a smirk on his face.

“Good morning, Kyuhyun,” she replied sweetly with a smile as she quickly switched to the other elevator, pressing the button to ascend. “And no, I still have time.” She pressed the button several times in a hurry.

“Oh?” Kyuhyun sidled up next to her as he lifted his left arm to look at the watch around his wrist. “You sure you want to be twenty minutes early for this?” He chuckled.

The elevator let out a bing! and the doors slid open. Grace entered the elevator with Kyuhyun at her heels. “I have some things to take care of beforehand.” She pressed the button to the floor of her office as the doors began to slide to a close.

“Oh?” Kyuhyun leaned forward pressing the button of a certain office three floors above hers. He pulled away and tilted his head with a smirk. “I think someone’s just nervous.”

Grace adjusted her silver- coloured chiffon blouse. “I’m fine,” she replied in a quiet voice. “It’s just a new project. That’s all.”

“Just a new project?” Kyuhyun scoffed and raised an eyebrow.

“Mmhmm,” she hummed shyly as the doors opened up. “See you in a little bit!” She waved good-bye as she left the elevator and turned down the corridor to head to her office.

“Don’t get too dolled up,” he teased with a smirk. “Ryeowook likes natural beauty.”

Grace stopped in her tracks and turned to look at Kyuhyun with widened eyes. “No, I don’t li—”

Before she could continue, Kyuhyun winked as the elevator doors slid to a close, leaving her standing there with agape.

She let out a sigh and continued down the hall toward her office. She entered and shut the door quickly.

****

Kyuhyun opened the door to Ryeowook’s office without ceremony and found Ryeowook shuffling through the papers on his desk nervously. Kyuhyun smirked. “Nervous?”

Ryeowook looked up from his papers with widened eyes, shuffling the papers quickly into a folder. “Huh? What makes you think I’m nervous?”

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes knowingly. “It couldn’t be more obvious.”

“Maybe I am a little nervous,” Ryeowook replied quietly. His eyes widened a little bit more. “I mean, uh, it’s a big project. There’s a lot riding on this and we have to make this work.”

“Mmhmm.” Kyuhyun hummed, keeping a smirk from appearing across his face. He knew that his friend had been secretly taking an interest in Grace lately, but had yet to make a move. (And small chats in the break room or a ‘hello’ in passing could hardly even be considered ‘talking’.) Kyuhyun knew that Grace liked Ryeowook back, but doubted his quiet friend would ever confess her feelings. He, being the mischievous person that he was, figured it would be great fun to try to set them up, and maybe throw them into some awkward positions. Kyuhyun kept from chuckling and continued, “Yeah, but I don’t think you need to worry about that. You have me to help you on this project.” Kyuhyun smiled smugly as he sat down across from Ryeowook in one of the empty chairs at the desk.

“I think I should be worried then,” Ryeowook replied jokingly in a soft voice as he pulled out another file from his desk drawer and set it in front of Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun picked up the folder and opened it. “Well, I’m glad Grace is working on this project.” His eyes darted up surreptitiously to see how his friend would react. 

Ryeowook kept his eyes on the paper in front of him. “Hmm? Oh, yeah. I heard she’s a good worker.”

“And cute too.” Kyuhyun glanced up again to find a slight tinge of colour on his friend’s face. He smirked. “Don’t you think so?”

Ryeowook started scribbling some notes quickly on one of the papers. 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips, knowing that Ryeowook was purposely ignoring his question. Still, he was undeterred. As he started looking through the papers one-by-one in the folder, he decided to try out a new tactic. “I heard Yesung saying the other day that he thinks her green eyes are pretty.”

“Green? They’re like a blue-gray, aren’t they?” 

“Yeah, but I think Yesung is just crushing on her too much to notice.” Kyuhyun smirked as he saw Ryeowook’s confused face. 

“Crushing?”

“Yeah. I think he might ask her out soon. I think he's liked her for a while.”

Kyuhyun could feel the atmosphere in the room change a bit as Ryeowook shifted uncomfortably. “Oh?” 

“Yeah,” continued Kyuhyun disguising a look of mischief behind his complacent expression. “He was rambling on and on to me about her and how cute she looks when she tucks her brown hair behind her ear.”

“Brown?” Ryeowook lifted up his head. “It’s black and under certain lighting it looks like there’s these little glints of gold.”

Kyuhyun hid a smirk as he tilted his eyes up from the page to meet Ryeowook’s face. “Really? Are you sure?” 

“Yeah,” replied Ryeowook quietly. “I’m positive.”

Kyuhyun shrugged. “Yesung’s probably just blinded with love.”

“Yeah...” Ryeowook’s voice trailed off with both a hint of sadness and thoughtfulness in it. 

Kyuhyun looked back down at the paper in front of him, feeling quite satisfied with himself. 

The room soon fell into a relative quiet, save the faint rustling of pages, as the two men began to focus on the task at hand, though one was obviously distracted by something by the look on his face. 

Two soft knocks on the door interrupted the silence.

Ryeowook’s eyes widened and he gulped once discreetly before lifting his head up just slightly. “Come in.” His voice sounded slightly off, but he covered it up by clearing his throat. 

****

The project was going remarkably well according to everyone’s standards... except Kyuhyun’s. He watched his two friends with an arched eyebrow.

“What do you think about this idea?” asked Grace, pointing to something in one of the folders. 

Ryeowook turned from his computer and leaned closer to where Grace was sitting. He glanced at what she was pointing at. “It looks perfect,” he said quietly while looking at Grace. He looked away quickly.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. Grace wasn’t even looking! Perfect opportunity missed. 

He glanced back at Ryeowook. There was a sad look in his eyes. He probably thought that Grace might like Yesung too. He glanced over at Grace. 

“Thanks,” she replied. “I’ll enter it on my end and then send it to you.” She started typing something into her laptop, her eyes not shifting at all. 

Kyuhyun could see that she was trying to avoid eye contact with Ryeowook. 

Eeesh! This was just getting worse by the minute! At this rate they would never ever get together! 

He looked between the two. Yeah. There was no hope for either of them unless... A smirk creeped across his lips.

He set aside his laptop and stood up, stretching his arms. “Aren’t either of you getting tired of sitting?” He sauntered over to Grace’s chair. “How about you, Miss Grace? Are you getting tired of sitting?”

She chuckled. “Just a little bit.” She stood up as well, stretching a bit. 

Kyuhyun looked over at Ryeowook, who was biting his lip nervously. Ryeowook cleared his throat and stood up slowly and tilted his head this way and that and then started on his arms. 

Kyuhyun smirked and then looked at Grace, scoffing aloud. “You call that stretching?” He walked behind his friend and placed his hands on her shoulders making her start in surprise.

Her eyes widened. “What are you—”

“You gotta loosen up,” Kyuhyun continued, smirking as he pulled Grace to the right and then to the left hastily, throwing her off balance. 

“Whoa!” Grace cried involuntarily as Kyuhyun pulled her either way. “Kyuhy—ah!” Kyuhyun pushed her forward.
Now off balance, Grace tripped on her high heels and fell forward with an incomprehensible shriek. “Ahh—” 

She stopped falling, as someone caught her. Both stumbled a moment and then paused, frozen in that position. Grace gulped discreetly and then looked up slowly to find that Ryeowook’s wide eyes mirrored her own. 

They stared at each other, neither one moving.

As close as they were, Grace could feel her heart beating wildly beneath her chest and was sure that he could feel hers.

Ryeowook could feel his heart quicken and knew that she could hear it. 

Both pulled away hastily and spoke at the same time. 

“Oh, I’m so—”

“Are you al—”

“—sorry.”

“—alright?”

Grace looked down blushing. “I’m fine.” She looked up through her long eyelashes, a sincere smile on her face. “Thank you.”

Ryeowook could not help but smile. “It was nothing. I’m just glad you are alright.”

There was a pause, which neither seemed to want to disturb.

A throat cleared behind them.

Both started, eyes widening as they whipped around, remembering that Kyuhyun was right there.

Kyuhyun smirked.

Ryeowook cleared his throat, looking down, face flushed.

Grace blushed, turning away quickly. “We should be getting back to work...” She let out a breath and sat back down in her seat. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Ryeowook sat down as well, tugging at his collar. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. 
Kyuhyun hid a smirk. Things were going quite well now. 

****

As they were finishing the last touches of the project, there was a peculiar feeling in the air. 

Everyone was silent. 

Ryeowook gulped quietly, glancing at Grace and then turning back to his task. 

Grace kept her gaze on her work, as if forcing her mind to be focused on just the project.

They worked for forty minutes overtime and then sent the final copy of the project to the chairman. 

Kyuhyun sat back in his seat with a sigh of relief. “Glad that’s over,” he said.

“Yeah,” mumbled Ryeowook, taking a deep breath.

“It turned out well,” Grace added with a smile.

“It did.” Ryeowook nodded. His eyes darted to Grace. “Thank you for the hard work.”

“It was my pleasure,” she replied rather formally, though her smile and eyes were full of warmth.

Kyuhyun pursed his lips as he stood up, thinking of one last attempt to get these two together. “Well, l gotta get going. I have a hot date tonight.” He winked as he took his jacket off the chair where he had left it and started to put it on. 

“Oh?” Ryeowook tilted his head questioningly. “You didn’t tell me you met anyone recently.”

"Well, that's because I met her on the way to the restroom today." Kyuhyun chuckled, covering up the lie. "I’ll call ya and give you the details tomorrow. Tell ya how it goes.” Kyuhyun shrugged on his jacket. “Anyway—” he looked at Grace. “—any plans tonight with Yesung?”

As Grace got up from her chair, she looked at Kyuhyun with confusion. “What? Why would—”

“Never mind.” Kyuhyun shook his head as he grabbed his stuff. “Well, gotta go! See ya!” He left, hoping that his plan would work. If it didn’t, then they better find a way to get themselves together. 

The room fell silent as the door closed behind Kyuhyun. Grace started packing up her things with a confused look on her face.

Ryeowook took a breath as he gathered his belongings. “So, are you and Yesung...?” He trailed off, feeling a lump in his throat.

“N-no!” Grace exclaimed a little too vehemently. She blushed. “Not at all. We’re just friends. Nothing more.” She looked away, gathering her things together as she hoped that he would not get the wrong idea.

Ryeowook let out a breath he did not know he was holding. “Good,” he whispered quietly under his breath. He cleared his throat. “Really?”

“Really. I don’t like him in that way,” she replied, feeling her heart quicken as she took a breath. 

“Oh.”

There was a brief silence as they finished gathering the things.

Ryeowook took a breath and shot a glance at Grace. It was now or never. “Hey...” His voice came out softer than he wanted. 

“Yeah?” she asked as they began to head to the door.

Ryeowook held it open for her. “You don’t have any plans tonight, right?” he asked softly.

She stopped outside the doorway. “No.” She felt her heart beat speed in rhythm. “Why?”

Ryeowook glanced down. “I was wondering...” He looked back up. “...if maybe you wanted to go out for dinner tonight? Or maybe a coffee?” 

Grace smiled softly. “Dinner would be nice.”

Ryeowook could feel his heart quicken and suddenly felt bolder as they walked to the elevator. “Great!” He grinned. “Would it be alright if I picked you up at your place in about an hour?” 

Grace nodded. “That would be great.” She smiled, a blush tinging her cheeks. 

“Great,” Ryeowook replied, letting out a sigh of relief as they both entered the elevator. 

When the elevator reached the first floor, the both of them left the building, hand-in-hand. 

****

Ryeowook walked Grace to her apartment door, his hand entwined with hers. 

“Well, here it is,” she said softly, her eyes clouding over now that she and him would have to part ways for the time being. 

“Oh...” Ryeowook tried to hide a sigh.

“Thank you for tonight by the way,” Grace said, looking up through her eyelashes at him. “I really enjoyed myself.”

“Really? Good,” he replied, sighing in relief. “I’m glad, because I did too.” He scratched the back of his neck nervously. “Actually, more than I have in a long time.” He cleared his throat quietly and looked at her with hopeful eyes. “If it is alright with you, maybe I could see you again some time?” He chuckled. “And I don’t mean for work or another ‘project’.”

Grace giggled as her cheeks tinged pink. “I would like that.” 

Ryeowook’s face and eyes lit up happily. “Great! Um, how... um...” He stumbled over his words nervously.

Grace smiled reassuring as she instinctively took a step closer to him. “Well, tomorrow’s Saturday. We could have a picnic in the park or something...” She trailed off, shrugging her shoulders. 

He nodded. “That sounds perfect.” He leaned forward a bit. “Would it be alright if I picked you up fifteen minutes ‘til noon?”

“Yeah. That would be good.”

Both broke off eye contact for a moment.

Grace looked back up at Ryeowook and he looked down at her with a smile. They instinctively drew closer and Ryeowook bent his head forward. They closed their eyes as his lips brushed gently against her forehead. 

“See ya tomorrow,” he said as he pulled away.

“See ya.” She waved as he started down the hall. She unlocked her door and stepped over the threshold, glancing over her shoulder.

Ryeowook turned around with a wide smile as he continued walking down the hall backwards, waving to her. 

After one last wave, Grace closed the door and leaned back against it, heaving a sigh of contentment. She closed her eyes, tilting her head back. She could not wait for the next day.

As the elevator doors slid closed, Ryeowook leaned his head back and closed his eyes, a wide smile on his lips. He could not wait for the next day.



...And every day that came after.[/CONTENTID3]