Eighteen

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Changwook just arrived in front of his apartment building when his phone rang. He looked at the screen and stopped. “Hallo?” he said as he put his phone on his ear. He walked toward the elevator and pressed the button. “Changwook,” Hwang Jungmin’s voice indicating he’s panicked. “Changwook, are you with Miyoung right now?” Changwook was indecisive for a bit. “No,” he answered. “Did you see her earlier?” Hwang Jungmin pushed him. Changwook winced. What is it? Is this man upset? Angry? Should he tell the truth or lie? “I met her briefly,” Changwook spilled. There was a jolted breath sounded on the other end. “So, you have told her?” “Told her what?” “That thing,” Hwang Jungmin said frantically. “Have you told her about that thing?” Changwook was silent then said, “Not yet…” “But she already knew!” Changwook froze immediately. “She knew?” he repeated, as if not hearing clearly. “She just called me crying!” Hwang Jungmin almost shouted because he was so nervous. “She’s crying?” Changwook started to act like a fool. All he did was repeating other’s words. “I never heard her crying like that,” said Hwang Jungmin quickly. “It sounded like she’s almost hysterical.” Changwook was choked. When he was with Tiffany, that girl seemed normal, albeit she’s a little quiet. He just thought Tiffany had problem at work and her mood would get better eventually. But, now he tried to remember, lately Tiffany was avoiding him, became more silent, and her demeanor was strange. Did she really already know? “I can’t get a hold of her, Changwook,” Hwang Jungmin’s voice sounded again. “She wasn’t in her apartment and her phone is inactive. Please find her, Changwook. Please…” Changwook hung up and stayed on his ground. Slowly anxiety ran through him. Where’s Tiffany now? Didn’t he already walk her to the apartment? As if just snapped out of it, Changwook turned and got out of the door. He didn’t even know where to go but he had to go find her. Suddenly, his phone rang again, without looking he picked the phone. “Stephanie?” There’s a laughter sounded across. “Shame, it’s not, Rudy,” It’s Siwon. “It’s me, sorry to let you down.” “Siwon hyung?” “Rudy, I’m really bored tonight. Get out and let’s have some fun,” said Siwon. “Hyung, you called just in time,” Changwook uttered with harsh breath. “Why? Why are you panicking like that?” “Are you with Stephanie?” “No. I haven’t met her today. The last time I spoke to her was when you discharged from hospital.” Changwook clenched his fist frustratingly. “Appa, eh I mean her father called me, he was very worried about Stephanie and asked me to find her.” “What’s wrong? What happened?” Siwon asked. He’s now serious. “I’ll explain later, hyung. For now please look for her in the places where she used to be. You know it better than me.” “You’re making me nervous, Rudy,” Siwon said. He clearly still perplexed, but decided to not asking questions anymore. “Okay, I’ll look for her. I’ll call you as soon as I find her.”

 

Tiffany Hwang disappeared? Siwon was really confused. For years he knew Tiffany, he never heard Tiffany just gone without letting anyone knew where she was. Now, she’s gone that her father also looking for her. That sounded like serious problem. He drove his car carefully. His eyes looked ahead but his brain started to think of where could Tiffany be. He reached his phone and called Yeondoo Ahjumma. “He-llo, I’m sorry ahjumma to call you so suddenly, but is Miyoung there?...No? Ah, she came earlier with a guy?..Mm, okay. Thank you ahjumma…Oh no it’s nothing, it’s just I’m looking for her. There’s something I need to ask her…Could you please call me if she happened to go there again?...Okay, ahjumma, thank you.” Siwon pondered. Where did the girl possibly go? It’s almost midnight. Siwon drove his car down to Han River, when suddenly his eyes caught the figure of someone he knew standing on the edge of the bridge alone. “Tiff?” he muttered to himself then winced. “What are you doing there?”

 

Tiffany stared blankly down to the river. The surface of the river looked dim just like a big black mirror that reflected light from the street lamps roadside. The water must be very cold. She would have died because of hypothermia if he jumped to it. Frozen. Just a slight push. Just one push. But her body remained still. Glued in place. Unmoved. The painful feeling on her chest became sharper. It’s almost unbearable. She couldn’t take it anymore. God, please take this pain from me… Once again, she leaned forward, took a clearer view of the river. Before she could jump, someone abruptly grabbed her arms and pulled her roughly away from the edge. Tiffany was surprised and almost lost her balance. She turned her head quickly and instantly facing Siwon. He was not content. “Oppa?” she muttered with hoarse voice. Her eyes popped out. She didn’t expect to meet Siwon at all in this time. “What are you doing here, Hwang Miyoung?!” asked Siwon loudly. He still grabbed Tiffany’s arms. Slowly, she regained her senses then she blinked. “Oppa,” Tiffany tried to escape Siwon’s grip. “It hurt.” Siwon loosened his grip, but he didn’t let go of her. “Were you crying?” asked Siwon softly. He stared right into Tiffany’s eyes. Tiffany forced a smile and evaded Siwon’s eyes. “Just a little bit, only for a moment. Am I not allowed to cry?” Siwon sighed. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Tiffany didn’t answer. “Do you want to talk about it?” Tiffany’s sight started to get foggy again. “Oppa, Siwon, Oppa,” she mumbled unconsciously. “What…what are you doing here?” “Me? What are you thinking?!” “Do you want to know what I was thinking?” Tiffany cackled, only to make Siwon worried even more. “I was going to jump.” “What? What did you just say?” Siwon was in disbelief. “Try say it on my face one more time.” Tiffany still evaded Siwon's eyes. "I was going to jump." “Ha?” Siwon stammered and shook Tiffany’s body, hoping she would come back to her senses. “Why? What is wrong with you?” Tiffany put her hand to her chest. “Because it hurt, it hurt like hell. In here, it hurt, Oppa.” Siwon didn’t respond. He didn’t understand. He was still in shock hearing Tiffany was about to hurt herself. “But luckily you came,” said Tiffany. She looked at Siwon and smiled bitterly. Her eyes were teary. “Because of you, now I know what I should do.” “What are you talking about?” Tiffany put both of her hands on Siwon’s shoulder. “Let’s drink, oppa. Let’s drink until wasted. Let’s drink until we’re numb. Let’s drink to death.” “Stop talking nonsense,” Siwon grumbled. His eyes bugged when he saw rose tattoo on Tiffany’s left ring finger. “You got a tattoo?!” “Ah, yes. I almost forgot. Ain’t that beautiful?” Tiffany chuckled. “I don’t really need the shape really, I just need the pain.” It’s the first time Siwon saw Tiffany behaving like this. And he didn’t like what he sees. His guts telling him that something’s wrong. “Alright, alright,” Siwon gave up. He really worried about Tiffany’s condition. “You want to drink? I’ll accompany you. Let’s go.” Siwon had no idea what might cause Tiffany to act like this, although he really wanted to ask to that girl, he decided to just keep her company and ask about it later. God knows what could that girl does if she’s on her own.

 

“Aigoo, Miyoung-ah, isn’t it enough already?” Yeondoo Ahjumma said worryingly as she brought the ninth and tenth bottle of soju to Tiffany. She already drank seven bottles of soju while Siwon still had a third of his bottle left. “Ahjumma, don’t worry too much and just give that drink, I can handle it,” T
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter