Rough Start

The Brightest Star

As Seulgi looked up at the night sky, she realized that the weather perfectly described her mind - cloudy. Earlier today, the dorm director told her that she had to share her room with another girl and that she's coming first thing tomorrow morning. Although she had nothing against having a roommate, she couldn't help but feel uneasy having to share her room for the first time in years.

Flashback

"You're so unwanted, even your own parents decided to abandon you."

"You have no parents? That explains why you're so stupid... no one is there to teach you."

"Nobody wants to be seen with an outcast like you."

"It must be sad to be a loner your whole life."

Ënd of flashback

She let out a sigh as memories from the past came to mind. She really didn't want to go through the pain of having others insult her over a fact that she couldn't change again. This was the exact reason why she started avoiding others. Ever since Seulgi started her high school years, she hadn't made contact with another person. She always thought that things were better that way, but thinking about it now, was that really the case? As she realized that she would be in a lonely state whether she got picked on or stayed alone, she decided to do something she hadn't done in so long - befriend someone.

-----

The Next Day...

Seulgi woke up extra early today to make sure that she wouldn't be late to meet her new roommate. "First impressions leave the most impact," she mumbled. As she was getting herself ready, she started thinking of ways she should greet her new roommate. Facing the mirror, she started to practice:

"Hi, I'm Seulgi, what's your name?"yociexpress08.gif - Nope, this was too cheesy.

"Hey, I'm your roommate. Let's get along well."  yociexp100.gif- This was plain awkward.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Seul..." Seulgi was cut off by the sudden sound of the doorbell. Knowing that the moment has finally arrived, she took a deep breath before walking towards the door with heavy footsteps. "Here goes nothing," she sighed. Taking one more breath before opening the door, she realized that she didn't take those breaths for no reason. In front of her stood a girl, but she wasn't the ordinary type of girl that would come to mind. She was pretty... is an understatement. The girl was breath takingly beautiful - quite literally. A chic aura surrounded her and judging by her looks, she was the type of woman any man would ask for. When Seulgi finally got a hold of herself, all she could say was one word - "Hi."

The coldness of the girl was justified when all she did was bow slightly as if to say hi and walked past Seulgi and into the dorm. Seulgi could just watch as the girl walked around, observed the living area and exited the dorm in an atmosphere filled with silence. Wondering why the girl was such in a rush, Seulgi looked at the time and was glad that she did as she realized that she was running late for class. She quickly grabbed her backpack and most importantly, her breakfast sandwich. Seulgi has been through tough times in life being an orphan, but one thing that keeps her going is her life motto - Eat no matter how late you are.

In Class...

"Hello, my name is Irene," Irene bowed, introducing herself to the class. As she looked around, she saw that the boys were completely enthusiastic about her arrival while the girls all had jealousy written all over their faces... except for Seulgi that is.

Seulgi, totally blanking out, was staring Irene down, without even realizing it. She could only think about Irene and her eagerness to learn more about her. Maybe this was the aftermath of not interacting with others for god knows how long. After all, she was different. Everyone Seulgi has met had either wanted to become friends with her out of pity, while others just straightforwardly insulted her life. Never had she met a person who was just as reserved as her, if not more. As Irene went to her desk, Seulgi's eyes followed, not missing any of Irene's actions. She did this for the next three hours, until the bell signalling lunch brought her back to reality. Seulgi grabbed her lunch and started eating, but yet again, her attention was on her new roommate.

Boys swarmed Irene, clearly infatuated by her beauty. All of them were trying to talk to her, attempting to make her interested in them. They were unsuccessful though, as Irene completely ignored them, knowing that they were all just trying to hit on her for the wrong reasons. Seulgi saw how Irene turned a blind eye to all the boys, and as she saw this, she suddenly didn't feel so bad about being neglected earlier in the morning. "So she treats everyone like this..." Seulgi thought.

After lunch ended, Seulgi decided to observe Irene some more. Irene, who was aware of this the whole time, was starting to think about what Seulgi wanted from her. For the past few hours, she had been trying to ignore Seulgi by constantly trying to absorb the class materials, but she was starting to get fed up. At last, Irene shot her a glare overflowing with annoyance and quickly looked back to the teacher.

Seulgi, who was quietly eyeing Irene, made eye contact with her without realizing the intention of Irene. Thinking that Irene wanted to say hi to her, Seulgi raised her hand to wave, but was cut off as Irene quickly looked away. Seulgi brushed this off as nothing and continued watching her.

After School...

As much as Seulgi wanted to walk with Irene back to the dorm, she coudn't because Irene had to stay behind and ask the teacher about the work that she had missed. Once Seulgi got home, she stuck to her regular routine - she started off eating ramyun before she went on and did her homework. She got so immersed in her work that she quickly lost track of time. Realizing that it was already 8, she looked around the dorm, only to see no other person. "Is she still at school?" Seulgi wondered. All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. "She must be here!" Seulgi thought. As Seulgi opened the door, however, her excitement went away as a moving person stood in front of her.

"Excuse me, but does a person named Irene Bae live here? We have her belongings delivered to this address." the delivery man said.

"Yes, she does live here. You can just put her belongings in the living room," Seulgi replied, as the delivery man carried Irene's boxes to the designated place. After the man left, Seulgi spent a good few minutes thinking about Irene's stuff. "Should I transfer them into our room or should I not..." she muttered. Deciding to try and be helpful, she started carrying the first box but as she was proceeding to the bedroom, Irene suddenly arrived and entered the dorm. Seeing the confused look on her face, Seulgi explained what she was doing to Irene. "Hey, I was just helping to move your stuff t-" Seulgi said before being cut off.

"It's ok, I can do it myself," Irene said, not showing any thankfulness for Seulgi's intentions. After all, Seulgi was a stranger. For all she knows, Seulgi might only be interested in her belongings as she is from a rich family. She had been through this situation too many times to be fooled again.

Thinking that Irene just didn't want to bother her, Seulgi assured her, "I have nothing else to do, so it's totally ok for me to help."

Irene wasn't believing anything that Seulgi was saying. "I'll do it myself," Irene stated in a stern voice. She was starting to get annoyed with Seulgi's persistence.

Seulgi failed to comprehend what Irene meant and continued moving Irene's boxes. This pissed Irene off even more, so she barged into the bedroom where Seulgi was, took her box out of her hands and recklessly shoved it on the floor.

"Can you hear me or not? I told you I'll do this myself but you keep trying to interfere. Are you that desperate for money?" Irene shouted.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about..." Seulgi said, surprised, "I-I was only t-trying to help."

Irene has heard these excuses before. "Look, I'm not stupid and I'm aware of what you're trying to do. If you really want to help, then the best way you can do that is to mind your own business and have nothing to do with me and my life." Irene watched Seulgi walk out of the room. Despite all the harsh things that she said, she had no empathy. "I don't want to be betrayed again..."

 

Seulgi walked out into the balcony. She did this whenever she had to sort her thoughts and feelings out. Clearly, she was upset about what Irene said. "Does being nice result into fights?" she wondered. Seulgi swore that there were much less conflicts when she was the one ignoring everyone. As she gazed at the stars, she thought about what Irene meant when she said that she was rich and when she referred to her as a person desperate for money. It was only Day 1 with her new roommate and she was already thinking of giving up her plan of befriending Irene. But since she already decided on changing herself, she couldn't go back on her word. Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang and showed "private number"on the screen. Seulgi answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Good evening, miss. Is this Kang Seulgi?" the man on the other end of the line asked.

"Yes sir, how may I help you?"

"I'm Bae Soo Man, president of SM Group. Have you heard of it before?"

"Yes, of course, sir," Seulgi replied. SM Group was the company that owned all the hospitals in Korea. Everybody knew this.

"I'd like you to keep this information private, but I'm Irene's father... and if I'm right then you must be her new roommate."

"That would be correct," Seulgi said, beginning to understand Irene's behavior earlier.

"I'm sorry for already asking you this before we even met but can you please do me a favor and watch over Irene?

Seulgi was unsure about what she should say. However, she didn't have the guts to turn down his request, so she said, "no problem."

"Great! I'm sure you girls will get along well."

Seulgi let out an awkward, nervous laugh. Their first day was already filled with problems. How can she explain all this to a person as powerful as Irene's dad?

"Well, I have to go now. You two should get along well and we should meet up soon."

"Yes sir, I'll see you then," Seulgi said before hanging up the phone. She let out a heavy sigh and looked back at the sky.

 

 

"Will this work out...?"