Regrets

The Star of My Life

The next day, their date started as usual the moment Jihyo goes to Joong Ki’s house to look for him. Ji Hyo was as usual cheerful and looking around. However, Joong Ki found it hard to have fun and kept staring at her. His heart kept debating on whether he should go ahead with his plan and would she get angry with him.

It was near evening and they were at outside of Joong Ki’s house looking at the nice scenery.

“It is going to be dark soon. I have to get going.” Jihyo was about to turn and go when Joong Ki spoke out.

“Can you don’t go? I wish to have dinner with you.” Jihyo was surprised with his request and looked at Joong Ki. However, Joong Ki was looking out at the view, waiting for her answer.

“But Joong Ki, remember what I told you? I am a star, if I had dinner with you, you might not be able to see me again. Is that alright with you?” Jihyo looked at Joong Ki with hope that he will change his mind.

“I am alright with it” Joong Ki replied immediately.

“Alright, when, where and what time to meet you?”

“Let’s meet tomorrow 7pm at Star restaurant” Joong Ki was excited in which he failed to notice Jihyo change of tone and expression. Jihyo walked away without saying goodbye.

Joong Ki POV

Today will be the happiest day of my life. Jihyo finally agreed to have dinner with me. I put on my best clothes and went to e restaurant 30 minutes early as I was not able to sit at home to wait.

I chose a window seat so that I will be able to see when Jihyo comes. I started to look at the menu for food that Jihyo will like.

“On your first date, sir?” asked the waiter who was serving me water.

“Erm…nope. But it is our first dinner date.” Guess he noticed it since I was smiling like an idiot.

“Oh I see. Enjoy your date. And sir, you look very handsome today.” The waiter bow and walked away.

As the time gets closer to our meeting time, I could feel myself getting breathless from the nervousness feeling. I tried to calm down by thinking about how will she dress for our first dinner date, what does she think about the food and how to end the date in a perfect way.

Times passes by and Jihyo did not turned up. I kept staring at the window hoping to find her walking pass. I could feel the different emotion that is inside. I am angry and disappointed that she did not turn for our date. At the same time, I am worried that she might have gotten lost or gotten in an accident but there is no way for me to contact her at all. All I felt now was only depress and helpless.

I waited till the restaurant have closed and still she did not turn up. Tears started to fall as I am sure she actually broke our promise. It started to rain as if the sky is crying for this pitiful person who waited like a fool. I walked back home under the heavy rain.

I lay down on the sofa still unable to recover from the sadness from my heart. Out of nowhere, Jihyo walked towards me and place her head above mine.

“Sorry, Joong Ki. Actually I had decided not to turn up as I wanted to spend more time with you. I do not wish to disappear yet.  However, I could not stand to break your heart. Please forgive me.” She held onto my hand and kept crying. The last words I remembered before falling asleep was her telling me“I love you.”

The next day, I woke up when the sun shone on my face. Jihyo was no longer beside me. All I saw was the star necklace that she always wore on our every date. Since that day, she never turned up again neither did the star which represents my mother appear in the sky again. My life was back to the usual routine however the hole in my heart could never be filled up. Whenever it’s my break, I would take out the necklace and stare at it. Cursing and swearing at my own selfishness. All I cared about was myself and not her feeling. How much pain she must have felt when I made that request. If time could turn back again, I would rather choose to not know the truth and carry on the dreams which only happen in the daytime.

All the question I ask everyday…. is she really gone forever…..