Page 25

Colors- A memoir of Layla Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I heard him as he inched his way to my locker located all of those three inches away from his. I already knew what he wanted.

"Was it you? Did you do that to the main wall in the west wing?" he whispered way too loud.

"Yeah. It was ugly anyway so I just..you know fixed it up." I shrugged trying to calm my jitters. I silently prayed that no one else had heard Kai stage whisper his realization.

"Fixed it by painting a huge flower on school property?" he semi snorted. " Since when have you been such a badass?"

"Shut up. It's pretty and no one is going to find out anyway. We live in New York, there are hundreds of graffiti artists around here." I really started to get nervous, but I mentally talked myself down. What was done, was done. 

"I'm so proud of you! You are finally learning something from me."

I stared down at my toes for a moment as I hesitated to close my locker. My toes wiggled in my old converse as I debated whether or not to ask.

"So..?" I  inquired while I kept my head down. 

Confused, Kai repeated my question. "So..?"

Slightly nervous I bit my lip and found his round dark eyes looking at me curiously. I let out a low sigh, "So.. what did you think about it?"

"Of course it was beautiful, Lay." He answered with such sincerity. 

The images of my or better yet Georgia O'keefe's creation on the wall filled flashed through my mind. The whimsical and subdued pink and purple petals.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter