Final

Only You

Biting down on her lip as to not whimper out in pain Eun Byul could feel a tear slip down her cheek without her consent. She didn’t want to cry, but she couldn’t hold in the pain she was feeling.

“So?” she heard him say, “What do you say?”

Eun Byul stood still, her eyes still watery. She couldn’t see clearly, but she surely could hear.

“I…” she heard the girl say before she replied with a small yes.

It was then that Eun Byul’s whole world went crashing down. Next thing she knew she was on the ground, watching as Taehyung, her best friend and the love of her life, lifted up the girl in his arms. He was smiling like an idiot, that smile he only showed to a few people; it was sincere and maybe that’s why Eun Byul felt more devastated.

“Yah!” the girl screamed in a happy way, “Taehyung! Put me down!”

Taehyung quickly put her down, “Sorry, I’m just so happy you accepted to be my girlfriend.” He ruffled his hair, looking down at the ground in a shy manner. “You do not know how much confidence I had to gather to ask you… Yejinnie.”

“Yejinnie?” the girl smiled, “Is that my new nickname?”

Taehyung laughed, “What? Do you have a problem? Oh?”

Eun Byul, who was still on the ground hiding behind a bush, not able to take the pain any longer, quickly stood up and ran back in the school and to the bathroom to freshen up before the two recent couple could see her. As she was running, her eyes still a little watery, she ran into someone, sending her stumbling back.

“Oh, Eun Byul, are you okay?” she heard the person ask.

She’d recognize that voice anywhere. It was one of Taehyung’s friends; none other than Jungkook.

“Hey, Eun Byul,” he asked, his voice sounding a little more calm. “Were you crying? Are you sick? Did something happ-”

“I-I’m fine, Jungkook.” Eun Byul quickly cut him off, “I’m just exhausted from studying. That’s all.”

Jungkook looked at her and just nodded, but didn’t buy her excuse; yet he just agreed with her because he didn’t want to bug her anymore.

“I’m going to the bathroom…” she whispered out, looking down at the tiles on the floor.

Jungkook nodded, “See you later after school.”

Eun Byul just hummed a small yes before walking past the boy, heading towards the bathroom.

 

 

    Once she was in the bathroom she quickly ran into a stall, closing the door behind her as she sat down. She wanted to cry so hard, but she knew better. The school bathrooms are never a private place; there’s always people lurking around, ready to gossip about anyone.

“Why did it have to be her?” Eun Byul thought to herself. “Why couldn’t it be me?” She let a salty tear slip down her cheek once again. “I only see you…” she whispered, “Ever since we met... it's always been you.”

 


 

    It was the summer before her sophomore year and Eun Byul was visiting some of her mom’s side of the family in the large hill city of Daegu. She had only been to Daegu two times--once when she was around two or three years old and the other time when she was around eight, therefore she couldn’t recall too much of her former visits; all she could remember was her favorite cousin, Min Yoongi.

“Yah!” Eun Byul groaned, “Are you going to sleep all day or what?”

She was talking to her cousin, Yoongi, trying to wake him up. It was already 12 in the afternoon and he hadn’t woken up since.

“Yoongi,” she whined once again, “You promised you’d take me around the city!”

The named boy just stirred in bed, mumbling something incoherent before falling back into a deep slumber.

“Yoong-”

“Alright, okay!” Yoongi shot up from former position and groaned. “You know how much I hate being woken up, but since it’s you and I did promise I might as well keep it.”

Eun Byul smiled cheekily, “Thanks Yoongi.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” he swished his left hand, shooing her out of his room; “Now get out to I can get ready.”

“Mmh,” she nodded as she stepped out of his room and walked down to  the kitchen where her mom and aunt were having lunch. “He’s up, finally.”

Mrs. Min looked up at her niece and smiled. “That’s a first! He usually wakes up around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.”

“But that takes away half of his day away!” Eun Byul said, amazed at how much her cousin slept.

Yoongi, who was already heading towards the kitchen after getting up, gasped. “I came here to have fun and, honestly, I’m feeling so attacked.”

Eun Byul’s mom laughed.

“Are you guys already having lunch?” he asked, rubbing his morning hair as he yawned.

Eun Byul rolled her eyes. “Obviously, I mean it is lunch time, you know.”

Mrs. Min and Eun Byul’s mom laughed.

 

    And so, after Yoongi finished his brunch and got ready to go out, the two cousins set out on their journey to sightsee around the city. First off, as part of Yoongi’s top 10 swaggiest places to visit, was the Daegu Arboretum which is a botanical garden that’s home to more than 1,000 species of different plants.

“You’ll love this place. I know it!” Yoongi said as him and Eun Byul walked to the nearest public bus stop.

Eun Byul just nodded and smiled. She wasn’t much of a nature person, for she’s lived in a huge city full of skyscrapers, street markets, high-tech inventions, that was Seoul; therefore she hardly had an amazing experience with nature itself.

“So,” Yoongi looked over at her, “How have you been? I didn’t really have time to ask yesterday, since you guys got here so late.”

Eun Byul just shrugged; “Good, I guess.”

Yoongi sighed. “I heard from Auntie that you’ve had a hard time at schoo-”

“I-It’s not that bad. My mom just exaggerated everything,” Eun Byul quickly cut him off.

She didn’t really like to talk about that subject, especially when she was on vacation.

“C-Can we not talk about that?”

Yoongi just nodded. He was about to say something else, but a figure popped right in front of him, surprising him and Eun Byul at the same time.

“Hyung!”

Yoongi’s eyes rounded, “T-Taehyung?”

“Hey Hyung!” the said boy smiled very brightly. “What are you doing up so early?”

Eun Byul just looked from her cousin to the younger boy and back. She guessed that he must be an acquaintance of her cousin.

“Yah,” Yoongi said in a monotone, “Why does everyone attack me for sleeping when everyone sleeps as well?”

Eun Byul shook her head, “Well, maybe because everyone sleeps at least 9 hours while you sleep for like 3 entire days.”

“Yah-”

Taehyung laughed, nodding his head as he put an arm on Eun Byul’s shoulder; “That’s true! Good one girl I don’t know.”

Eun Byul simply looked over at him and then over at his hand that was on her shoulder and he slowly retracted it, smiling sheepishly.

“Sorry,” he said. “I didn’t mean to. It’s just that what you said is so true!”

Eun Byul was about to tell Taehyung that it was fine, but the oncoming bus stopped her from speaking.

“The bus is coming,” Yoongi said, looking over at the huge vehicle that was heading their way. “We better get going, Eun Byul.” He put an arm over Taehyung and patted him; “It was nice seeing you, Taehyung.”

Eun Byul just smiled at him, bowing a bit as she scooted closer to her cousin.

“Wait, Hyung, where are you going?” Taehyung asked. He looked over at Yoongi and then at Eun Byul. “Are you going on a date?”

“Date!??” Eun Byul screamed, shaking her head furiously. “I wouldn’t date him even if he was the last guy on Earth! Not only because he’s my family, but just look at him!”

Yoongi gasped, “I am so hurt.” He touched his chest, faking a heartbreak.

“Family?” Taehyung asked.

“Mmm, remember I told you my cousin was going to come for summer vacation?” Yoongi looked at his younger friend. “Well, this is her; Lee Eun Byul.”

Taehyung smiled. “Nice to meet you, Eun Byul-ah.”

“Y-Yeah,” Eun Byul suddenly stuttered. She was somewhat flustered by his sincere and charming smile. “N-Nice to meet you too.”

“I’m Kim Taehyung,” he said, still smiling. “So where are you guys going?”

“Well, since she doesn’t really know Daegu I was going to show her around.” Yoongi said.

Taehyung’s eyes brightened, “Really? Can I come along, Hyung?”

“It’s whatever with me, but what about you, Eun Byul?” Yoongi asked, looking over at his cousin.

“Uhh…” Eun Byul was confused. She hated having the spotlight. “Uhhh,” she looked over at Taehyung, weakening at his puppy-like eyes; “Sure, he can come.”

“Yes!” Taehyung jumped up. “Come on, let’s go!” He quickly wrapped his arms around the two and grinned happily as the bus stopped right in front of them.

Eun Byul just looked at the outgoing boy, her stomach churning from how close he was.

 

However, no matter how weird she thought he was, there was something so soothing about his smile and voice. And little by little, before she knew it, she started to fall in love with him the more time they spent together throughout her whole vacation. She fell for his sweet, charming smile, the way he laughed at her funny remarks, they way he smelled of pure vanilla, the way he looked at her, and how he made her feel. That’s how Eun Byul came to know, and fall in love, with her best friend.

 


 

 

School was over and it was time to go home. Eun Byul was walking out of the school campus, ready to go home and lock herself in her room and watch Disney movies until her mom came home and made dinner.

“Eun Byul!”

She stopped in her tracks. She felt her heart beat accelerate and her palms start to get sweaty.

“Eun Byul,” the voice called again, this time it sounded much closer than before. “Yah, wait up for me!”

She turned around, looking over at the figure that came closer to her with every steps he took. “T-Taehyung…” she mumbled.

The said boy jogged up towards her, raising a brow as he looked over her face. “Are you not feeling well?”

“H-Huh?”

“You didn’t talk much in class… Did something happen during lunch?” Taehyung asked.

He was really worried and Eun Byul could tell he was sincere, but she really didn’t want to talk about it. Besides, it’s not like she could just blurt out what caused her to get so upset. She couldn’t just be like ‘Oh yeah, well, I saw you ask out Yejin and it hurt a lot because I love you… more than a friend.’

“I…”

“Jungkook also asked me if something was wrong with you. He said he saw you heading to the bathroom and you didn’t look so good.” he said.

Eun Byul forced a smile, “I’m fine.”

“You sure?”

She nodded. “Yes, Tae, I’m fine.”

“Well, you know you can tell me anything, right? We’re best friends after all.”

“Right…” Eun Byul nodded. “Best friends.”

Taehyung smiled, linking his arm with hers. “Okay, now, changing subjects I have something very important I need to tell you.” He pouted his lips, “I was going to tell you earlier, but better late than never, right?”

“Tae…” Eun Byul managed to mutter out. She knew what words were going to escape his mouth and she didn’t want to stick around and hear them. “I-”

“Yejin and I are going out!” He smiled so brightly, cutting Eun Byul before she could make up some ridiculous excuse to leave. “I finally asked her during lunch today.”

Eun Byul looked up, swallowing the lump in and trying to act as if she didn’t know.

“Really?”

Taehyung looked at her and grinned so happily it almost made Eun Byul cry.

“I’m so happy she said yes. Do you know how long I’ve been wanting to muster some courage and ask her out? Oh my God.” he was looking up at the sky, his smile still shining bright.

Eun Byul quickly looked away, as for him to not see her face that was on the verge of tears.

“I-I’m…” she gulped, “That’s good for you, Tae. You deserve to be happy and have someone who loves you… but Yejin-”

Taehyung sighed, “Eun Byul, seriously, don’t start again.”

“But Tae I’m serious!” Eun Byul’s voice was starting to waver, “I’m-”

“I know you’re my best friend and all, but I can’t let you talk like that about my girlfriend anymore. It’s so annoying, really.”

Taehyung’s voice was  getting deeper. He was getting annoyed and Eun Byul could tell, but she couldn’t stop herself. If this was the only way of making Taehyung go away then she would take the chance; maybe they needed some time away from one another anyway. Maybe then Eun Byul’s feelings would go away and she’d let him live happily.

“I don’t want to have to choose between you and Yejin, but if you keep this up then that’s exactly what I’m going to have to do.” the girl’s best friend said.

Eun Byul, eyes widened over the words that just came out of his mouth, stood still. She looked over at the guy before her as if he was some kind of weird creature.

“Eun Byul, I-”

“D-Did you really just say that?” Eun Byul asked, still astonished. “Are you really going to stop talking to me when I’m just trying to watch out for you? I’m sorry I don’t like her, but I have my reasons!”

Taehyung scoffed, “What reasons? Tell me!”

He was starting to get furious. Eun Byul would always say that she had specific reasons as to why she disliked Yejin, but she’d never tell him and that always made him mad.

“Aren’t we best friends? Why can’t you tell me?!” he was now yelling, attracting the attention of other students who were, also, leaving school.

Eun Byul scooted away from him, but Taehyung took ahold of her arm before she could retract from him.

“Why can’t you tell me? Do you not trust me?” he asked, this time in a whisper.

“I…” Eun Byul avoided his eyes. “I’m sorry, Tae…”

“Can you just trust me?”

Eun Byul shook her head, pulling away from his touch. She wanted to run away and never see him again, but she knew that wasn’t possible. They knew too much about each other to just go on and not see each other ever again; they had too much memories together.

“Eun Byul-”

“Look, Taehyung, I’m tired. Really, if you don’t want to have to choose then I’ll do it for you. We’re through being friends, okay? Is that what you wanted, oh? Now you don’t have to hear me bringing up any conversations over Yejin. Happy?”

Taehyung shook his head, “No, Eun Byul, that’s not what I meant. You know I wasn’t serious about that!”

“But you said it, Taehyung.” Eun Byul said. She held on tightly to her bag, backing further away from Taehyung. “I think we each need some time to ourselves. You go ahead and go with your girlfriend and I’ll go my way.”

Taehyung watched as his so-called best friend turned away from him, tears threatening to fall, and start to walk away from him. He wanted to tell her not to go; that he was sorry, but all that came out of his mouth was the opposite of what he wanted.

“Fine! Be like that!”

Eun Byul trembled at the words, but acted as she was unfazd. She continued her path, whimpers escaping her lips as she sped up. She didn’t want to crumble in front of him; no, not like this--not now.

 

    The next day Eun Byul woke up with an immense headache, for she’d cried throughout the whole night and didn’t even eat dinner. She got up from her bed, being awakened by her alarm, and proceeded to freshen up for the day.

    Once she was ready she headed downstairs where her mom had just finished making breakfast. It was Friday, which meant pancakes and fresh fruit for breakfast.

“Good morning, honey,” her mom said, sensing that her daughter was coming into the kitchen. “Sorry I didn’t come home in time for dinner. I had a last minute dinner with the company and forgot to text you beforehand.”

Eun Byul simply smiled, “It’s fine, mom. I understand.”

“Did you at least eat dinner last night?” her mother asked. She knew how lazy Eun Byul was and that she wouldn’t go out of her way to cook anything to eat, so she was concerned on whether she even ate or not. “I didn’t see any dirty dishes or signs that you cooked so-”

“I ate with Taehyung, mom.”

“Okay, good!” her mom smiled, “You know I hate when you skip meals, right?”

Eun Byul simply nodded. She was glad her mom couldn’t see through her lies. But why did she feel so bad? She didn’t want to lie to her mom, but she couldn’t help it.

“So, eat up so I can drop you off at school on my way to work. Hurry!”

“Okay,” Eun Byul mouthed, taking a seat at the table.

She could feel her mother’s eyes on her, but she ignored them and started to pick at her food.

 

    After saying her farewells to her mother before getting out the car Eun Byul caught sight of Yejin and Taehyung. The two were walking, hands intertwined, without a care in the world (or so, that’s how it looked).

“How do you feel?”

Eun Byul looked back, her eyes widening as she saw Jungkook. “Huh?”

“You two got into an argument yesterday, right?” he was looking down at her, causing her to look up at him.

“How do you know…?”

Jungkook sighed, putting a hand on her shoulder and forcing her to walk. “He didn’t tell me, if you’re wondering. I actually saw the whole thing.”

“You did?” Eun Byul asked, slightly embarrassed. She felt him let go of her shoulder, but they both continued to walk and talk.

“I tried to get ahold of him after I saw you leave, but he blew me off and didn’t even answer my calls or reply to my texts.”

Eun Byul looked over at the recent couple, noticing that they were looking her way as well. She then quickly looked away.

“He didn’t really mean to say what he said…” Jungkook was careful of his words. “You know he cares a lot about you, right?”

Eun Byul simply nodded. She wasn’t really in the mood to argue with him; she also knew he was somewhat right.

“He-”

“I know, I know,” Eun Byul reassured Jungkook that she understood. She gave him a small and simple smile, “Let’s get to class.”

Jungkook nodded, his eyesight fixing on the couple near them and he, without a second thought, wrapped his arm around Eun Byul’s shoulder, pulling her closer to him as they continued to walk into the school.

 

    Class started and went on like usual. The studious students were paying attention to the lesson the teacher was giving, the class clowns were making jokes and laughing, the students who didn’t care were sleeping and so on. Eun Byul, who usually paid attention in class and talked a little here and there, had her head down on her desk while someone’s gaze was fixed on her the entire lecture, until lunch time came around.

 

“Where’s Eun Byul?” Jungkook asked at the cafeteria. He, Taehyung, and Jimin were sitting together at a table, like usual, but the said girl was missing.

Jimin looked up, food still in his mouth. “Did something happen between you two?” He was looking straight at Taehyung. “I never see one without the other. You two are like peanut butter and jelly! It makes me worried.”

“Eun Byul and I-”

Honey,” Yejin whined in a baby-like way, cutting Taehyung off as she placed her tray beside him. “I was looking for you! Why didn’t you wait for me?”

Jimin’s eyes rounded, “H-Honey?” He glanced over at Yejin, Taehyung and lastly at Jungkook. “Did I just hear her call Taehyung honey?”

“We’re going out, did Tae not tell you?” Yejin answered. She hooked arms with Taehyung, resting her head on his shoulder.

Jungkook just rolled his eyes, but stayed quiet.

“Since when? What?” Jimin was confused. “Did you know?” he was looking over at Jungkook, who just shrugged and continued eating. “Is this why Eun-”

Jungkook stood up, not even bothering to finish his food. As if it wasn’t enough to see Eun Byul sad, now he had to see Yejin’s annoying face at all times.

“Yah!” Jimin called. “Kookie, where are you going? You didn’t even finish your lunch!”

“Suddenly,” Jungkook said, looking straight at Yejin with disgust, “I lost my appetite.”

Yejin scowled. She knew the said boy was talking about her, but she could care less.

“Well isn’t that bad,” she said.

“I’m going,” Jungkook simply said as he took off.

 

    After putting his tray away and buying a bag of pepero sticks at the school vending machine so he could give to Eun Byul, Jungkook walked around the campus, looking for any sight of the said girll. He walked for a while, hence lunch was almost over, before he concluded she could only be at one place: her classroom. With only one thought, which was to see if Eun Byul was okay, he hurried to the classroom as fast as he could, yet he came across a horrid sight.

 

    As he was headed to Eun Byul’s classroom he came across the figure of a female student who was a few steps ahead of him and was heading to the same place. He saw as the girl opened the door, entering the classroom. He slowly eavesdropped, his eyes enlarging at what he saw.

 

“Yah,” the girl from before said in a menacing voice. “Are you trying to act like the victim right now? Are you serious?”

Jungkook watched as the girl walked towards the seat Eun Byul usually sat at, seeing that the said girl was there, her head on her desk as if she was asleep.

“I’m talking to you,” the girl, whom Jungkook could still not see clearly, reached out and pushed Eun Byul who didn’t budge an inch. “Are you going to act like you don’t hear me? Like I’m not here, confronting you?” The girl tsk-ed, “You’re doing this for attention. Wow, you are so low.”

Jungkook felt his fist tighten. He wanted to bust in there, but at the same time he wanted to keep listening until he knew what they were talking about.

“You thought he’d actually choose you?” the girl laughed. Her laughter sounded stale and sour; it wasn’t the most attractive sound. “Taehyung sees you as a friend; only as a friend and nothing more.”

"Taehyun- Wait, is that… Yejin?" Jungkook thought, his eyes widening.

“Did you think that just because you two are friends that he’d like you? A loser, a nobody?” She reached down for Eun Byul’s hair, pulling on it. “What would happen if he knew what a loser you were at your old school, oh? Do you think he’d still be your friend?”

Jungkook’s hand reached for the classroom door but stopped.

“You’re pitiful, really,” Eun Byul, who pulled away from the bully’s reach, said. “If you think that Taehyung would look down on someone for being bullied… you don’t know him. You don’t deserve him.”

“H-Huh?”

Eun Byul smirked, “Who do you think he would stop talking to if the truth came out?” She pushed the girl, sending her stumbling back. “What? Is our great Yejinnie scared? Is it because you know who he’d really hate?”

“Shut up!” Yejin almost yelled. “He already chose me, so you’re wrong.”

Eun Byul scoffed. “Do you really believe that?”

“I don’t need to believe that because I know,” Yejin replied.

“Oh, really? Do you really think he would stay with someone so pitiful as you? Someone who’s only true happiness is to make others hate themselves? Someone who has never learned to love and care for othe-”

“I told you to shut up!” Yejin screamed, raising her hand and slapping Eun Byul across the face. “He loves me and that’s it. I don’t know why you even try… He doesn’t even see you as a woman.”

Eun Byul held her hurt cheek, “You don’t even believe that. You’re just saying that because you know that what I’m saying is true. The truth hurts, but we both know who he’d choose if he knew the truth! We both know he’d hate you!”

“Shut up!” Yejin yelled, pushing Eun Byul back that she stumbled back, hitting her elbow on the desk behind her. “Why don’t you just shut up already?!”

Eun Byul quickly recovered. “I don’t want to. I’m tired of you always treating me like sh*t. I’m tired of being so dumb and naive. Do you know how long it took me to recover from everything you did to me??!”

Yejin was in shock that she stood still as Eun Byul continued to let her anger out.

“Do you know all the damage you caused!?” Eun Byul was furious. “I tried to kill myself. There was a time I wanted to die. I thought that if I wasn’t alive that I wouldn’t have to deal with the pain you caused me?”

Tears were threatening to fall, but she held them in. Eun Byul was finally letting everything out. It was time to confront her enemy, her life-time bully; her reason to feel like immense sh*t.

“If it wasn’t for Taehyung… I… I wouldn’t have kept going,” Eun Byul said, her tears finally shedding down her face; “I tried to kill myself back when I Had first met him, but the thought of not ever seeing him again stopped me. I finally had a reason to stay… to fight. I had never met someone so cheerful, someone so caring and outgoing.”

Jungkook was astonished. He never knew anything about Eun Byul’s past.

“The feelings I started to feel for him made me come back to my senses…” Eun Byul’s voice was getting scratchy, “Of course, you wouldn’t know that. You’re so cold-hearted and cruel, you wouldn’t know what feelings are.”

Yejin swallowed hard. She was being beaten by the girl she used to push around and she hated it; she wasn’t going to allow this.

“Ever since we were younger I was scared of you. I followed your every command, but since I met Taehyung everything changed. I not only stood up to you, but I also moved away from you. Why did you follow me? Why do you keep appearing? What is it that you want?” Eun Byul was shaking as she spoke. “Was scarring my childhood not enough? Do you have to haunt me everywhere I go? Do you have to take the one thing that gives me the strength to live….”

Yejin had it. “Oh, shut up and take your sob story somewhere else.” She straightened her posture again, this time gaining more confidence. “You know, you almost had me.”

“...”

“It was a nice story, Eun Byul,” Yejin smiled evilly. “But you know that I simply don’t care. Actually, I’m very glad that you’re suffering. I,” she paused, “won’t stop until everyone you know and care about, has you… one by one.”

Eun Byul’s gaze fell on the shadow she saw on the wall outside of the classroom, but she still listened to what Yejin was saying.

“I won’t stop until you’re alone. I want to see you crumble. I want you to return to being the class toy,” Yejin said. She sounded so sure of herself, so full of hatred, that it scared Eun Byul a bit. “And I will start with the one person you adore the most…”

Eun Byul’s eyes widened, searching Yejin’s cold ones, but the elder one just smirked.

“Your dear and precious little Taehyung.”

“You wouldn’t,” Eun Byul replied, shaking her head.

Yejin laughed, “Try me.” She then proceeded to walk away, but Eun Byul held onto her arm in a hurting manner.

“If you hurt Taehyung,” Eun Byul muttered out, her voice was strict and not even a bit shaky. “I, personally, will take you down. Do not, you hear, do not, even dare do anything to him. Or else you’ll have to deal with me.”

“Oh, yeah? Woah, don’t scare me like that!” Yejin sarcastically replied; “What are you going to do, oh?”

Eun Byul let go of Yejin, pushing her as she did; “Don’t try me, Yejin. I have the upper-hand in this situation and we both know it.”

 

    And with that, Eun Byul walked out of the classroom, leaving a vengeful Yejin inside, but only to bump into Jungkook who had heard the whole thing.

“You…”

“Rooftop,” Jungkook spit out, “Now.”

Eun Byul watched as he turned away, heading towards the stairs that lead to the school rooftop. She sighed and ruffled her hair but followed him nonetheless. It’s the least she could do; she had a lot of explaining to do. Thankfully it was Jungkook who had saw the confrontation and not anyone else.

 

    After opening the door to the rooftop, the wind hitting her face and sending her hair flying back, Eun Byul saw Jungkook looking out at the campus.

“Jungkook, I-”

“Why haven’t you told him?” Jungkook was mad. “Why don’t you tell Taehyung? Why are you hurting yourself like this, Eun Byul?”

Eun Byul stood still in her spot. “You don’t understand…”

“What is it that I don’t understand?” He walked towards her. “She bullied you in the past! She’s going out with Taehyung just to torture you and you’re letting her! What else is there to understand?”

“Jungkook-”

“If you don’t tell him, I will.”

Eun Byul shook her head, “Don’t. Please, don’t. You have no right!”

“But Eun Byul,” Jungkook countered, only to be brushed off by the said girl.

“Look, Jungkook, I’m glad you care, really, but please don’t tell Taehyung. I have my reasons, okay?” She turned around, avoiding Jungkook’s glare. “Forget you ever heard anything… I’ll deal with this. I’ll tell him when it’s time.”

Jungkook was going to speak, but the lunch bell rang, indicating that class was going to start, stopping him.

“I know what I’m doing, Jungkook. Please, just don’t say anything.”

Jungkook sighed, giving in to her.
“Fine,” he said, “but don’t expect me to let you be around her alone. I’m here for you. I know your past now and I will protect you.” He put a hand on her shoulder. “I won’t turn my back on you, even if everyone else does. You’ll always have me.”

Eun Byul’s eyes watered but she just nodded and smiled.

“Jeon Jungkook,” she said, “thank you… so much.”

 

    When class was over and everyone was packing to go home, talking about that night’s homework and about where they should hang out and so on, Taehyung was walking towards Eun Byul’s desk when he noticed someone had beaten him to his task.

“Ready to go home?” the person, Jungkook, asked as he walked over to Eun Byul’s desk.

“Oh,” Eun Byul was surprised, “Jungkook?”

The said boy just smiled at her, “I’m going to walk home with you from now on, hope you don’t mind because, no matter what you say, I’m still going to do it.”

“I-”

“Yah, Jungkook,” Taehyung spoke up, causing the named boy and Eun Byul to both turn their heads in his direction. “What do you think you’re doing?”

Jungkook raised a brow, “Uh… about what?”

“About walking Eun Byul home…” Taehyung said, “You don’t live anywhere near her, how are you going to walk her home? Besides, I’m the one who goes home with her.”

“Well,” Eun Byul stood up, “actually, I was thinking that we shouldn’t go home together, Taehyung.” She looked at him, her eyes softening.

“Look if it’s about yesterday I’m sorry I-”

Yejin frolicked into the conversation, wrapping her arms around Taehyung’s waist.

“What about yesterday, honey?” she asked cutely, so cute that it was actually disturbing for a girl her age.

Eun Byul looked at Yejin and then back at Taehyung.

“We should get going, Jungkook. I think the couple would prefer that, am I not right?” she said.

“Of course you’re right,” Yejin smiled in a fake manner. “We-”

“But we have to talk about yesterday,” Taehyung said, not letting his girlfriend finish her sentence. “Eun Byul…”

Jungkook put a hand on Eun Byul’s shoulder.
“I think he’s right,” the boy whispered so only Eun Byul could hear him. “You two need to talk.”

Eun Byul looked over at Taehyung. She wanted to give in, but much to her disadvantage Yejin quickly spoke up and somehow forced Taehyung to stop begging her.

“You’re being so childish, you know that? We’ve been friends for quite a while and often got into an argument and it was always me who compromised with you. If you’re going to be mad over something so stupid then I guess we aren’t real friends,” he said before dashing out of the room with a smirking Yejin following after him.

Eun Byul let out a defeated breath.

"Did that really just happen?" she thought. "He’d never spoken to me like that before… Taehyung, I’m sorry. I just want you to be happy.

“Come on, Eun Byul,” Jungkook said, bringing her out of her thoughts. “He’s just upset. He didn’t mean it.”

 

    Days passed by and there was still no agreement between Eun Byul and Taehyung. Time seemed to go by so slow without them hanging out together, laughing at dumb things, telling each other jokes, and eating out together. Both of them were sad, but too hard-headed to apologize to the other. They avoided each other as much as possible, but they were bound to cross words one day or another; the school was only so small.

 

“For the last assignment before your breakl I will put you in pairs and assign you each to do research over a city in Korea,” Mr. Im, the history teacher, said. “And I do not, and will not, accept the whole ‘you do the whole thing and I’ll just write my name on it’ type of projects. Both, as in you and the person who you’re paired with, will put in your part.”

The whole class started muttering things; some whined, some were happy, and some were praying to be paired with someone they liked.

“Now, you all know the drill,” he said. “Starting with the first row come up and get a stick.”

 

    Once everyone had gotten their sticks, which had a symbol on it, they had to find the match and whoever had it would be their partner.

Eun Byul stood there, looking down at her stick which had a cloud drawn on it. She walked around, asking people their symbol, hoping she’d get anyone but Taehyung. However, with her great amount of luck she finally reached Taehyung who, also, happened to have a cloud on his stick.

“Are you kidding me?” she asked out loud. “Teacher!”

Mr. Im looked over at Eun Byul, “What is it? Don’t like your partner?” He smiled, “But you already know the rules: you get who you get and you don’t throw a fit.”

“But teacher!” Eun Byul remarked.

“Oh, come on, you and Taehyung are best friends,” he said. “I know you’ll both do good. Take this time to reconcile, oh?”

 

    And with that, he wrote down the partners in his book and left after telling them to think of a city to do research on.

“Uhm…” Taehyung hummed.

He didn’t know what to say or how to start the conversation. All though he tried to act like Eun Byul wanting to change partners didn’t bother him, in reality, it did and it hurt.

“Do you know what city we shoul-”

“Daegu,” Eun Byul spoke up. “I want to do Daegu.”

Taehyung nodded, “Me too.”

“Good,” she said. “Since we only have like three days to do this project before it’s due we need to decide whose house we’ll be working at.”

“... Yours?”

Eun Byul nodded, “Good. That way you don’t get distracted from the project by your girlfriend visiting and stuff, since she doesn’t know where I live.”

“Eun Byul, do you really have to bring her up all the time?” Taehyung asked, getting kind of annoyed. “Why do you hate her so much?”

“Taehyung,” she paused. “We’ve known each other for quite a while, ever since Yoongi presented us. But, things have changed since then…” She just wanted to say everything, but it wasn’t the time nor place to reveal everything. “There are things I don’t want to tell you; things I just can’t tell you.”

“But Eun Byul,” Taehyung countered. “What things? We’re still best friends, even if we fight. You know I still care about you, right?”

Eun Byul looked at him, then over at the other students who were starting to eavesdrop on the two.

“It’s not the place to talk about this, Taehyung-ah.”

“Then when is?” Taehyung shot up. “You’ve been mad for the longest over something so stupid and I can’t even get an explanation as to why?”

Eun Byul avoided his gaze, “Stop.”

“No,” he replied, pulling Eun Byul up from her seat. “Why can’t you just tell me? Why aren’t you happy for me? I finally asked Yejin out and she said yes and I thought you’d be happy for me, but you’re just being childish and making everything about you!”

Jimin, who was walking by the classroom happened to stumble upon the scenario that was happening inside.

“Are they fighting again?” he whispered to himself, quickly turning around to find help; to tell Jungkook.

Eun Byul tried to pull away from Taehyung, but it was no use. His hold on her was too tight; it was starting to hurt.

“Tae, let go, please,” she whispered. “Let’s talk about this later. The others are watching.”

“So what?” Taehyung asked. “I am sick and tired of us fighting. It seems like you don’t want me to be happy, is that it?”

Eun Byul shook her head, “Tae, I-”

“Then what is it?” he asked. “Why do you hate her? Why do you do this!?”

“Because I like you!”

Taehyung suddenly let go of his grip on Eun Byul, taken aback by her reply.

“I like you!” she cried out, “Are you happy now? Do you know why I was being so childish? Because I like you. I’ve liked you ever since we met… but you only see me as a friend--your best friend.”

“Eun Byul!” Jungkook yelled as he rushed into the room, but he was already too late for he could no longer protect her from all the pain she was feeling.

Taehyung looked over at Jungkook, but Eun Byul didn’t. She just continued to cry her feelings out.

“I only saw you, Taehyung,” she said, tears falling down her cheeks once again. “I only see you… but you get further away and there’s nothing I can do because, to you, I’m not anything but a friend.”

“Eun Byul…”

“I thought that having you near me would be enough, but it just hurt me more. I was close to you, hung out with you, laughed with you, lived with you…” she was fully crying now. “I lived for you!”

Jungkook stepped closer to Eun Byul.

“But you just lived beside me, not for me. And it hurt, a lot. I told myself to stop the feelings so many times, but I couldn’t because it was you.”

Eun Byul took a step back, realizing she opened her heart. She had opened it, not only to her love, but to the whole class as well. It felt good, though. Her heart felt lighter, even if it was only half of the darkness that lurked in her heart.

“I… Eun Byul I…” Taehyung muttered. He didn’t know how to reply to her confession. He was confused; his heart and mind was a mess.

Eun Byul just looked at him as she wiped her tears away.

“You don’t have to say anything, Taehyung.” she said. “I know you don’t feel the same way and it hurts, but if you fake to reciprocate the feelings then it would hurt more.”

Jungkook, who was standing behind Eun Byul, reached out to her as fast as possible. He swirled her around, pulling her out of the room. He had arrived too late to save her from the pain she had just gone through, but he could still do something about the pain she’d go through after hearing the comments her fellow classmates were soon to mutter about her.

 

Outside, on the rooftop, where  Jungkook had taken Eun Byul after her hectic confession, they both stood there. Eun Byul cried and Jungkook just stood beside her.

“I told you I’d be here,” he whispered. “You just cry. Let it all out.”

 

    The next day came by and Eun Byul didn’t go to school so Taehyung, as her partner, went to visit her at home after school was over.

He kept telling himself that he was just doing it because he didn’t want to get an F on his project, but he knew it was because he was worried about her. He thought back to what Jungkook told him at school earlier that day.


 

The two males were up at the rooftop. Jungkook had sent a text message to meet him up at the set place, for she has something to tell him.

“What?” Taehyung asked, breaking the ice. “Why’d you call me up here?”

Jungkook sighed.

“What is your reaction to Eun Byul’s confession?” he asked.

Taehyung raised a brow, “What?”

“What’s your reaction?” he asked once again, this time a tad bit more demanding.

“I don’t even know what you mean-”

Jungkook groaned.

“You’re so dumb, Taehyung,” he said.

Taehyung was taken aback. The younger one had never talked to him like that before, so it was a first.

“Yah,” he said. “Watch your words, Jungkook.”

“Oh, right,” Jungkook sarcastically agreed. “Just like you watched yours?”

Taehyung glared at the other, “What are you talking about?”

“You told Eun Byul that she was over-reacting, that she was being childish, that she was mad over something stupid, didn’t you?” Jungkook asked, but didn’t wait for an answer as he kept on going. “You didn’t even bother to think before you spoke. You didn’t even think about how much your words would hurt her.”

Taehyung scrunched his face.

“How was I supposed to know she liked me? Am I some type of mind-reader or what? What do you take me for, huh? What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to decide!” Jungkook raised his voice. “I want you to look into your heart and ask yourself who you really like. I know you like Yejin, but she isn’t the person you believe her to be, and I also know that you have feelings for Eun Byul. You just haven’t let them out. Why are you blocking them? Why don't you just let them out?”

Taehyung ruffled his hair. He was starting to get desperate. He wanted Jungkook to shut up, but he couldn’t tell him to be quiet because he wanted to keep on hearing; to open his heart.

“If you don’t, then I’ll just take Eun Byul away from you.”

“What?” Taehyung asked.

Jungkook looked him straight in the eye.

“I like Eun Byul,” he said confidently. “And I won’t stand to let her continue getting hurt. If you’re too stupid as to not pay attention to her, to finally tell her that you, also, like her, then you don’t deserve her.”

Taehyung glared at the younger fellow, but Jungkook wasn’t scared.

“That’s why I’m telling you, Taehyung.” he said. “I know she likes you… and if you don’t hurry and realize that you do too, then I will have no choice but to make her forget you. You know what they say, right? You never know what you have until it’s gone.”

Jungkook turned around, but not before saying something else.

“I hope that you’re not too late, Taehyung.”

 


 

    Knocking on the door, his heart on his sleeve, Taehyung awaited for the door to open. He’d been over Eun Byul’s house many times. He knew every inch--every crack--in her house, yet, somehow, this time it was different; he felt different.

 

“Who is it?” Eun Byul called from inside the house.

Taehyung felt his palms getting sweaty and his mouth grow dry.

“Who is- T-Taehyung?”

“Eun Byul,” he called, holding onto the door so she wouldn’t slam it shut. “We need to talk.”

The said girl just stared at him, eyes wide.

“D-Do you have time?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Let’s walk, yeah?” he asked.

Eun Byul simply nodded, stepping out of her house and closing the door behind her.

 

    When the two (ex) best friends walked, stopping at a nearby park, and Taehyung finally spoke up.

“Listen… Eun Byul, I…” he drifted off, not able to end his sentence.

He knew what he wanted to say, but why wasn’t it coming out? Why didn’t he know how to word it?

“Damn it,” he cursed, ruffling his hair.

Eun Byul looked up at him. She knew this was hard for him. She could only imagine what it would be like to be in his shoes.

“What I want to say is that I’m sorry,” he said. “No wait, yes, no, wait…”

“Taehyung,”

“Hold up, listen to me, okay?” he asked. “I have thought about this all night and day; I knew what I was going to tell you, but now that I have you before me everything I had in my mind simply crumbled into tiny pieces and I don’t remember anything.”

Eun Byul stood still, but looked him straight in the eyes, unfazed.

“Okay,” Taehyung took a deep breath. “For hurting you, I’m sorry. For telling you those mean things without understanding your heart, I’m sorry.”

He held out his hand, reaching for Eun Byul’s shoulder.

“I should’ve known your heart. I should’ve been more careful. I,” he paused. “I should’ve heard you out.”

Eun Byul gulped.

“I can’t go back in time. I can’t make the pain in your heart go away…” he was whispering. “But, what I can do, is apologize. I know that you’d like to hear something else from me, but I don’t want to lie. I don’t want to go to you when I, myself, am not even sure of how I feel. I don’t want to be with you just because I feel bad; I don’t want to hurt you like that.”

“Tae-”

“What you can do, though, is wait.” Taehyung looked at Eun Byul with despair. “I know it’s a lot to ask, and you don’t have to do it.... but I need some time to understand my feelings.”

Eun Byul nodded. “Tae, I understand. I’ll wait.”

“I know I care for you, a lot, but I just need to make sure it’s more than as a friend…” he whispered.

“Tae,” she said, putting a hand over his hand that was on her shoulder. “I understand. Like I said, I’ll wait.”

Taehyung pulled her in for a hug, making Eun Byul’s eyes pop and her knees weaken to the familiar vanilla scent that surrounded her whole entire being.

“Thank you,” he said.

Eun Byul just smiled, painfully, but she smiled nonetheless.

 

    A couple days has passed and it was already time for vacation. All the students in the class were talkative, thrilled about not going to school for a while, even if it was for a little bit. The classroom teacher from Eun Byul’s and Taehyung’s class had just given them their last assignment before school was over, which was to just bid their farewells to everyone and chill.

“Wah,” Yuna, a girl in the classroom, aw-ed. “I wish I could get out of Seoul, too. I would love to go to the countryside, though.”

Eun Byul smiled.

“So do you go to Daegu often?” Yuna asked.

Eun Byul nodded.

“My mom’s side of the family lives there and we go very often.” she said.

“I’m jealous,” Yuna said. “All my family lives here so I’ve never been out of Seoul at all. Like, never.”

Eun Byul was surprised, “Really?”

Yuna pouted, “Yeah.”

“Eun Byul!” Jungkook called, busting through the open classroom door. “Eun Byul!”

The said girl looked over at him, “Is everything okay?”

“Eun Byul,” he said, again.

“Yah!” Eun Byul groaned, “I know that’s my name, but don’t wear it out.”

Yuna laughed.

“Well, I’ll leave you two alone. Have a safe trip, Eun Byul-ah.”

Eun Byul smiled and nodded at her, seeing her walk over to her other friends. After the girl had walked away she turned back to face Jungkook.

“Is everything okay? Why are you calling my name like there’s no tomorrow?” she asked.

Jungkook pulled her up, smiling from ear to ear.

“Guess what?” he asked, excitedly.

Eun Byul raised a brow, “What?”

“I passed my math exam, which means my mom will give me permission to go to that dance school I was telling you!”

“The one in New York?” Eun Byul asked.

Jungkook nodded his head furiously, “YES!”

“Woah,” Eun Byul smiled. “Good job, Kookie!”

She wrapped her arms around him and patted his back.

“I’m so happy for you.” she smiled.

Jungkook, too, smiled.

“Thanks, Eun Byul.” he said. “I couldn’t have done it without you forcing me to study like the world was going to end.”

Eun Byul laughed, “That’s true. You are kind of dumb.”

“Hey, I know I admitted it myself but you don’t have to make fun of me any further.”

“Okay,” Eun Byul smiled. “At least you admitted it yourself.”

She was smiling brightly that she didn’t even notice a pair of eyes fixed on her happy, radiant face, but Jungkook did and he smiled back at the person who only avoided his gaze.

“What are you laughing at?” Eun Byul asked.

Jungkook simply waved his hand, “You’ll see. Just wait.”

“You’re so weird, I swear.” Eun Byul gave him a queer look.

 

    Waking up on the first day of vacation felt so great to Eun Byul. She didn’t have to put an alarm, push the snooze button and then regret because she was running late. Then she’d have to get ready in less than six minutes. Now, however, she woke up a little later--granted, it wasn’t that much of a difference because she had to rise early for ride to Daegu, but at least she didn’t have to worry about being late.

 

“Good morning sunshine,” her mom smiled as Eun Byul walked into the kitchen. “Do you have everything packed?”

Eun Byul nodded.

“I packed last night.”

Smiling, her mother ushered her daughter to sit and eat.

“We don’t want to leave on an empty stomach, right?” she said, picking up her utensils to eat.

Eun Byul just nodded.

“I’m just glad they gave you the week off,” she said to her mom.

“Right,” the elder chimed. “I was scared that they wouldn’t give me a vacation and that I’d have to send you off alone on the bus or something.”

Eun Byul tsk-ed.

“The bus isn’t that bad. Taehyung goes on the bus often and he said it isn't that ba-”

Her mother stopped eating, “Huh?”

“Nothing,” the younger one said and continued to eat.

 

    When everything was set and packed in the car, making the sure that everything was turned off in the house, the mother and daughter hopped in the vehicle and headed off towards Daegu, leaving their bustling city of Seoul behind.

 

“Honey,” Eun Byul’s mom said. “I didn’t want to bother you before and all, but I was wondering…” she paused. “Why haven’t you hung out with Taehyunggie recently?”

Eun Byul looked down at her cell phone, taking a picture of her shoes for snapchat. She quickly tapped the screen, writing ‘kicks of the day’ and pushing the button as to make it public.

“Eun Byul,” her mother called her.

“It’s nothing mom. Don’t worry.” she smiled at her mom. “It’s nothing.”

The mother of the girl, all though not convinced, simply nodded and agreed with her daughter.

“If you say so…”

Eun Byul, wanting to change the subject, so she asked if Yoongi was out of school too.

“I miss him,” she said. “That dummy.”

“I called your aunt and she said he’s coming home for vacation as well, since, you know, he stays at the dorm at his college.” her mom said.

Eun Byul smiled. She really did miss her cousin. He was the only one--besides her mom and Jungkook, now--that knew about her being bullied by Yejin in the past and how weak she was; how close she was to end her life.

“I can’t wait to see him.”

 

    Once they arrived in Daegu and had made it to the usual house they stayed at: Yoongi’s house, Eun Byul rushed out of the car and flung the front door open.

“We’re here!” she yelled, startling her aunt and cousin who looked at her with widened eyes.

Eun Byul’s mom ran behind her, “Eun Byul! Calm down!”

“Dummy!” Yoongi called, running to the door, pulling Eun Byul into a huge hug. “Long time no see!”

Mrs. Min just grinned as she stepped over the hugging family members, “Oh, stop it, you two. Let’s first get settled down and you guys can call each other names later.”

“Is your husband still at work?” Eun Byul’s mother asked her sister as both women walked to get the things out of the car and continued talking.

Eun Byul, who was out of Yoongi’s hold, rapidly ruffled her cousin’s hair before running off to help as well.

“Yah!” her cousin yelled. “You know I hate when people ruffle my hair! Get back here, dummy!”

 

    After getting everything in and eating dinner all together, Eun Byul and Yoongi went out for a little walk around the neighborhood. They had a lot to walk about and it was best to talk outside of the house, since they wouldn’t have much privacy if they stayed home.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yoongi started off asking. He knew something was up ever since he saw her ignoring incoming calls, not replying to texts, and pouting every once in a while.

“How do you know something is wrong?” she asked, kicking a rock that was on the ground.

Yoongi lifted his hand, pushing her head back with his pointer finger.

“Dummy,” he teased. “I’m your confident, your cousin, your brother. I know when something is wrong.”

Eun Byul pouted.

“It’s Taehyung, right?” he asked, but didn’t need to be answered. “Did you confess?”

“W-What?”

Yoongi just smiled, “I guess you did.”

“Well…” Eun Byul sighed, “I did.”

“And you got rejected?” he asked.

Eun Byul shrugged.

“I wasn’t straight-up rejected, but he told me that he needed time.” she said. “He said he didn’t know his own feelings… and to wait…”

Yoongi looked at her, “But that’s good news, isn’t it?”

“But it’s already been more than two weeks… I don’t think he likes me.” she said, sadly.

“I wouldn’t be so sure of myself if I were you,” he smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder as he pushed her ahead of him.

Eun Byul gasped as she bumped into someone ahead of her.

“I-I’m sorry!” she bowed. “I didn’t mean to bump into you. My cousi-”

“It’s fine, Eun Byul,” the person, whom she had bumped into, said.

Eun Byul quickly looked up. She recognized that voice anywhere.

“Taehyung?”

The said boy just smiled at the sound of his name.

“What are you doing here? How?” she looked at him then back at Yoongi, confused. “Did you call him?”

Yoongi grinned.

“You two need to sort things out,” he said. “I’ll go on ahead.”

Eun Byul only watched as her cousin walked away, slowly fading out of her sight. She wanted to run after him, but Taehyung’s held onto her arm, pulling her away.

“Taehyung…” she said as she was being pulled. “What are you-”

“I have decided.” he said, cutting her off. “I know what my heart wants.”

Eun Byul gulped.

“But before that, I want to tell you that I am so sorry for not hearing you out.” he stopped walking and looked down at her. “I was blind. I thought Yejin was a wonderful person, but only recently did I find out that she is a bully.”

“Huh?”

“Yoongi told me…” he said. “I know that it was wrong of him, but he did it to open my eyes.”

Eun Byul looked down at the ground, but Taehyung, with his hand under her chin, lifted her head so that they could see eye to eye.

“I now know how she truly is,” he said. “But even before I found out that she was such a bad person I had already decided on who I had in my heart.”

 

With his hand still under Eun Byul’s chin he leaned in, closing the distance between their lips. Eun Byul felt her heart skip a beat. She couldn’t believe what was happening. It all felt so surreal. A tear fell down her eye without warning. Oh, how she longed to feel his lips against hers; they felt exactly how they looked: soft.

“It was you,” Taehyung said, breaking the kiss. “It was always you… I was just so blind.”

Eun Byul was still in the clouds.

“Can you…” the boy said, carefully. “trust me?”

“I…” Eun Byul didn’t know what to say.

Taehyung continued to look straight into her eyes. He hoped, with all his heart, that it wasn’t too late. He didn’t and couldn’t lose her.

“Please,” he begged her, caressing her tear-stained cheek. “trust me.”

Eun Byul’s throat felt dry.

“I know before I was stupid. I didn’t know my heart,” Taehyung said. “And you don’t know how much I beat myself up for hurting you. I knew I loved you because only your scent completes me. Now I can’t live a day without you.”

He was trying his best and Eun Byul knew that; she knew him too well.

“Can you trust me?” he asked. “Can you hold me in your heart once more?”

Eun Byul smiled as tears fell from her eyes once again, yet, this time they were from happiness.

“Taehyung,” she said, “for me it was always you. Only you.”

“I know,” Taehyung nodded. “And now it’s me who sees only you and you alone.”

Eun Byul was grinning like an idiot.

“Do you know how long I waited to hear those words come out of you mouth?” she asked.

Taehyung, infected by Eun Byul’s shiny smile, was smiling as well.

“No,” he said, leaning closer to her. “But that doesn’t matter because from now on you will hear me say that for as long as we’re alive. I only see you, Eun Byul; only you.”

The said girl just grinned, planting her lips right smack on his as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

    

    And in that moment, they both swore, it was only them.