Yongseohae Juseyo. (Please Forgive Me.)

SINCE 1765
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 26 – Yongseohae Juseyo. (Please Forgive Me.)

 

*

 

#since1765

 

*

 

Kim Village Residence

City of Jeonju, Gyeonggi Province

 

Knelt down on the ground of the Kim study, Kwon Jiyong patiently waited for Kim Taeyeon's grandfather. After about ten minutes of waiting in silence, the elder man arrived, followed by his wife and Taeyeon's parents and siblings. Jiyong bowed in respect, and the Kim family sat in front of him, a table separating them.

 

“What are you doing here? You are not obligated to visit the province of North Jeolla anymore. You and Taeyeon are not allowed to show yourselves in our presence, until you have reflected upon yourselves. By being here, you are in complete disregard of your punishment.”

 

With head bowed and eyes on the ground, Jiyong politely answered, “Grandfather Kim, please hear me out. Kindly tell me what I have to do so you can spare us the punishment. Please grandfather, I would do anything else. But please stop forbidding us from seeing each other's family, or from seeing each other.”

 

“Why are you hurrying up the period of your punishment? It could take us years before we can forgive you for betraying us!” the elder angrily shouted.

 

“It hurts me to know that Taeyeon's crying about missing my parents, my sister, gramps and most especially, my gran. She longs for them. She lives for the happiness our families share when we spend time together. Most especially...”

 

Kwon Jiyong found the courage to look up from the ground, and he stared at each of the faces of Taeyeon's family.

 

“...I don't want to be away from Taeyeon any longer. I can't bear the thought of us not being in each other's life.”

 

Jiyong saw how the Kim women smiled at him gently, and this motivated him, even if he still felt guilty about lying to them too. It made him feel better to learn that the ladies were more forgiving.

 

“Why do you cry the loss of a stranger?” wondered Taeyeon's father, his forehead crooked in confusion. “You and Taeyeon didn't even know each other until four months ago.”

 

“Your daughter is not a stranger to me, Father Kim,” Jiyong promptly answered. “We promised we'd still be each other's friend, even after we renounce the engagement. But because she wants to obey the elders, she bade goodbye to me. Taeyeon can't be friends with me while knowing that you are still angry at us.”

 

With that, Jiyong kissed the ground again, bowing multiple times out of respect and desperation. He muttered, “I don't want to lose her, Grandfather Kim. I would do anything so you can forgive us.”

 

“Why don't you want to lose Kim Taeyeon? You made it very clear to us that you have no romantic feelings for one another. Why else would you lie to us and make a mockery out of the gods and the pact?!” the elder Kim investigated, almost yelling at the young man.

 

Carefully choosing his words, Kwon Jiyong didn't answer right away. His eyes on the table, he felt his emotions making way out of his eyes. He controlled the tears.

 

“Because... she's... my best friend...” he begun, his voice shaking. “Kim Taeyeon is very important to me. Yes, we've only known each other for a few months. But no one has penetrated my life more than she has in such a short time.”

 

He looked up and bravely faced the Kim family again. With a sincere heart, he continued, “Grandfather Kim, I have fallen in love with your granddaughter, and I would do anything to take away her pains.”

 

Jiyong could have sworn he saw the elder man's eyes flicker. He watched as Hayeon exclaimed to herself, smiling at him giddily. Kim Jiwoong winked at him playfully. Mama Kim and Grandma also beamed kindly at Jiyong. Even Father Kim, who was once stern, now wore a soft expression.

 

No one said anything after Jiyong's profession. Then, Grandfather Kim cleared his throat.

 

“Then the pain of losing someone you love shall be your punishment.”

 

“Father...” cried Daddy Kim, shocked that the old man remained firm.

 

Grandmother Kim also cried, “Honey, don't be stone-hearted.”

 

To everyone's surprise, the 92-year old man's eyes glistened with tears. With a shaking voice that he fought, he declared, “We loved you and your family very, very, very much Kwon Jiyong.”

 

“Did you and Taeyeon ever think about what we would feel once we find out about your betrayal? The Kims lost a beloved son-in-law, a son we treated as our own. We also lost a whole family we've come to love as our own. We lost you and the Kwons, and our pain and grief is just as unbearable as you losing Kim Taeyeon.”

 

The Kim women finally lost it, and they all sniffed and cried. Jiyong couldn't bear to hear the grandfather's sad voice, and so he cried to himself too.

 

Shaking his head and bowing, Jiyong explained, “I'm so sorry Grandpa. I love you and the Kim family too, and I never wanted to hurt you like this. My family loves you very much as well. Please...”

 

“...allow me to do anything and everything to bring us back to where we used to be.”

 

*

 

Kwon Village Residence

City of Songdo, Gyeonggi Province

 

On the same day, at the same time, Kim Taeyeon set foot on the Kwon village house with a heavy heart. It had been days since she was banished from the place. However, the pain and difficulty she felt overpowered her desire to be an obedient child. She couldn't bear the thought of Grandmother Kim ailing, or Jiyong's parents waiting to hear for her explanation.

 

She was just glad that the family entertained her visit. That evening, she was kneeling on the ground, before the whole Kwon family.

 

“Grandfather Kwon, thank you for seeing me,” she began. Beside the old man was his wife, and Taeyeon's heart lightened up when she saw the health and vigor back in her face. “Grandma Kwon, I'm so happy that you're finally well. I missed you.”

 

“I missed you too, my dear. Thank you for the fruits and flowers you sent.”

 

“Kim Taeyeon, you can't be in the presence of our family. Why are you disobeying your elders a second time?” asked Grandfather Kwon angrily.

 

“I'm so sorry Gramps,” she cried, kissing the ground before her elders. “Please forgive me and Jiyong. I will do anything for you to forgive us.”

 

“Why is it so important to you gain my forgiveness? We are not going to be your family-in-law anymore. You are not obligated to gain our forgiveness!”

 

“Because I love you and Granny Kwon, I love Mama and Daddy Kwon, I love Dami, I love you all,” she cried out, face wet with tears as she looked up to the Kwons. “Even if I am not obligated by any tradition, please know that I truly love you with all my heart. I may have lied in the beginning, but I never lied about loving you.”

 

Grandfather Kwon remained firm, and said, “If you truly love us, you wouldn't mind suffering our punishment for a long time. Don't hurry the length of your reflection. You can't force us to forgive you quicker after you betrayed all of us.”

 

“Then please tell me what else I can do, and I'd do it to gain your forgiveness, even if it'll come just a day faster,” she begged.

 

“Stop lying to yourself, to me, and to the Gods. Look me in the eye,” Jiyong's grandpa demanded.

 

She finally found the courage to face the elders. When she did, she saw that Jiyong's mother and grandmother were crying, and she sobbed at the sight of their sadness. She then looked at Grandfather Kwon.

 

“Why are you truly here, Kim Taeyeon?”

 

Hesitant, she didn't answer yet. Then, she confessed, “Because I don't want to say goodbye to Kwon Jiyong. If I can do something to have him in my life again, I would.”

 

“Why is it important to you to have my grandson in your life? I was positive you didn't want him, seeing us you went to all this length just to betray us and The Great Pact.”

 

“Because Jiyong is my...” she stopped, suddenly feeling a bit shy about opening up to the family. She looked down and played with her hands. “He's my best friend...”

 

“He's very important to me, gramps. I can't bear the thought of not having him in my life. We may not be bound by The Great Pact anymore, but I can't lose him. I don't want to lose him. I just don't want to. It hurts more than anything in the world... because...”

 

Her voice broke as her shoulders shook. She heard the Kwon women sniffing too. She cried for a few seconds, wiping her face. She chose to look at the ground.

 

“I'm in love with him, gramps. I love him very much...”

 

Nobody said a word next. All that could be heard were the silent cries of the women in the room. When the silence prevailed, Taeyeon braved to look up. She saw that Jiyong's grandpa was still looking at her sternly.

 

“Please understand that the Kwon family is also grieving the same kind of loss. We thought we welcomed a wonderful daughter, a loving family, in the person of you and the Kims. Only to find out that we never had any of you at all. We lost a family that we loved.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head in defense, crying, “You didn't lose me Gramps. I'm still here. I'm still your pretty Taeyeon!” Then, she addressed the entire family. “Gran, Mama Kwon, Daddy Kwon, Dami... this is still me, and I'm just here. Please... give me a chance to prove that...”

 

*

 

Kim Village Residence

City of Jeonju, North Jeolla Province

 

After he declared his desire to bring back what they had, the Kim's study was then filled in silence. Jiyong patiently waited for a response. Finally, the elder Kim asked him to look up and listen.

 

“Very well. How much can you prove that you are sorry?”

 

“Very much,” Jiyong answered earnestly, suddenly hopeful. “I will do anything and everything.”

 

“Then start by sending coals and woods to all the homes in our village, in time for the Chuseok holidays,” the grandfather declared, surprising not just Jiyong, but also the other members of the Kim family.

 

“Wh-what?”

 

“If you can complete such difficult task, then I would consider it the gods' blessing to your apology.”

 

Jiyong was energized, and he nodded enthusiastically. “Of course Grandpa Kim. Can I... strategize?”

 

“Just as long as all the families in our village will be warmed up for the holidays, I don't care how you do it. If you succeed, I will reconsider lightening your punishment.”

 

*

 

Kwon Village Residence

City of Songdo, Gyeonggi Province

 

Taeyeon tried her best to cry quietly, but she couldn't. She was having difficulty talking, breathing, that Grandmother Kwon approached her with a glass of water. Upon feeling the old woman's touch and presence, she broke down in harder cries, crashing in her arms. She missed Jiyong's grandmother so much. Grandma Kwon shushed her, and embraced her like she was her own grandchild.

 

“If you really mean your apology, then provide the families in our village with rice cakes for the Chuseok weekend,” announced Grandfather Kwon.

 

“R-rice cake?” it was Mama Kwon who clarified what was just declared. “But Father, that is a huge responsibility.

 

Grandfather Kwon just eyed Taeyeon with utmost attention. “If you are able to feed the families in our village, then I would take that as the gods' signs proving your sincerity.”

 

Taeyeon broke free from Grandmother Kwon, feeling invigorated. She smiled a little bit, feeling a sudden surge of hope.

 

“Can I bring reinforcements?” she asked, sounding positive.

 

“I don't care about your strategies. If you succeed, I'd rethink about lifting yours and Jiyong's punishment.”

 

*

 

Kim Village Residence

City of Jeonju, Gyeonggi Province

 

The morning immediately following Jiyong's visit to the Kims, he was back in the same town, this time with seven of his closest friends.

 

The eight young men were all wearing plain pants, plain shirts, and rubber boots. They were all sweating, and panting, because some were axing woods, carrying them in groups, while the others sorted coals. Since five in the morning, their bodies had been toiling to prepare for the deliveries they would be making all day, by foot.

 

Choi Seunghyun, Dong Youngbae, Kang Daesung, Lee Seungri, Lee Soohyuk, Yang Seungho, and Hong Jonghyun shed their pretty and swag images to help their friend with the manual labor for the provincial locals.

 

“I can't believe we're doing this,” complained the handsome model Soohyuk, carrying logs of woods on his shoulders.

 

“We're supposed to be resting from the world tour,” protested Seungri, carrying an entire bag of coal that weighed more than fifty pounds. “This is not resting.”

 

While sorting the wood branches, Jonghyun also cried, “I did not sign up for this physical work. I better get paid by the hour.”

 

“Yah, shut up, okay?” called off the matured Youngbae. He was about to axe a large tree trunk. “This is called a good deed for Thanksgiving. Give thanks and count your blessings.”

 

“Is SNSD even here?” wondered Daesung. He was already shirtless after carrying tons of branches and trunks.

 

“You said they were going to cook for us!”

 

“You just lied to lure us here!”

 

“Man, now I really require hourly wage.”

 

“I did this for free for SNSD.”

 

“The only way you'd ever hang out with SN

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter