two

Changing Tides: Spoiled Innocence

 

C h a n g i n g  T i d e s:

s p o i l e d  i n n o c e n c e

 

t . w . o

 

 

Hae was just three when he was being entrusted to Hyukjae.

 

His grandpa was on his deathbed grabbing tightly onto Hyuk's arm. Only when the sixteen year old Hyuk nodded solemnly, giving him his promise then did the old man pass on peacefully. 

 

It was then that Hyuk and Hae began their life together.

 

A life of constant hunger and coldness. 

 

What they had would always be given to Hae first. Be it shoes, clothes, food, or even shelter. 

 

Hyuk had to wait for five more years before inheriting his family's fortune when he reached the age of twenty-one. Until then, he was to remain invisible. Nobody even knew about his existence. Of course, except for his parents who were being killed and his grandmother who had to pretend that Hyuk had died alongside with them. 

 

Ironically, Hyuk was the one who was being taken care by Hae's family since he was a baby. 

 

And when Hae 's parents finally got found and killed, it became just the both of them. 

 

Their first winter together, Hae had nearly died of hunger. 

 

Hyuk had been on his knees begging the hospital to save Hae but he had no money at all. He had never felt so weak and helpless before as he begged the staffs on the cold hard floor with a limp Hae in his arms, his little body lacked of any warmth it should naturally have.

 

Finally, in exchange, he started to do jobs that none would do. He carried and disposed dead bodies from the hospital to pay for Hae 's bills. And even after that, he continued doing so to earn some income. 

 

When there was only two socks at home, he would wear both on Hae's little feet and he would go without. 

 

When there was only a bowl of porridge to share, he would let Hae drink it. 

 

Though just a child, Hae had seen deaths. He even seemed to understand the misfortunes surrounding him and Hyuk.

 

But there was Hyuk for him. Hae wanted to take care of the older, wanted to protect him too. 

 

So when Hyuk pulled both sets of socks onto his feet he would cry for Hyuk to wear a pair himself. 

 

And he would make sure to save half or more of the porridge for Hyuk. 

 

Every night when they slept together in a dark corner of the hosiptal's storeroom, Hae would count the number of bones that were protruding from Hyuk's upper body and sighed.

 

After Hae slept, Hyuk would sneak out and started his night shift at the hospital. He wasn't afraid of the dead bodies.

 

He knew the scariest thing wasn't these dead bodies. They were already dead afterall. It's the living who were the worst.

 

-

 

The first time Hyuk met Siwon was in the hospital, between numerous dead bodies. 

 

He saw a devastated blood covered Siwon kneeling on the ground grabbing onto his dead friend's hands. Words of revenge spat forthed in dark rage. 

 

That was how Hyuk began getting involved with the underworld. 

 

For Siwon was determined to be his father 's successor. Too many people had died for him, he had to have his revenge and he could only do so if he was at the top. He had to be the crimelord that everyone feared.

 

But he couldn't do so without someone strong and loyal enough by his side. 

 

He needed help. He needed to survive in this dark and cruel world. 

 

He noticed a difference in Hyuk. He knew Hyuk could be that person. 

 

That night, Hyuk struck a deal with Siwon. 

 

They got out of the hospital and moved to the Choi's dormitory. The place where killers were trained. And within a short time, Hyuk became the best of them all.

 

-

 

This fateful day, after an entire afternoon of apologizing to a certain officer's family, Siwon felt like he was being played out by Hyuk. Again. 

 

Unable to take this lying down, he flung opened Hyuk's room door. 

 

And woke up a soundly sleeping Hae. 

 

Hyuk frowned and tried to pat Hae's head, lulling him back to sleep.

 

'Wonnie...' Hae began softly. 

 

For the very first time that day, Siwon smiled. It ws only during such moments that Hae seemed to be tamed. The usually fierce protective Hae who love getting into fights because of Hyuk or because his food was snatched was now being the baby boy he really was. 

 

Hyuk sighed heavily. 

 

Somewhere in a corner, Kyu's head snapped up at the sudden intrusion and seeing that Hae had woken, he ran towards him.

 

'Hae Hae. I'm hungry.' Kyu begged.

 

'Aish!' Hae slapped his face away and buried his face onto Hyuk's chest, trying to get back to his nap.

 

Hyuk continued patting Hae's back, soothing him. He signalled Siwon to sit at the side. 

 

'That boy, Cho Kyuhyun. His parents died, his aunty took and gambled away all of their money and his only grandfather is in the hospital now. Can you settle this kid somewhere in the dorms.' Hyuk said.

 

The future crimelord's brows shoot up. How dare Lee Hyukjae ordered him around. Again?

 

Sensing new food source, Kyu began softly, his little body turning towards Siwon, 'I'm hungry...'

 

Siwon ignored him and directed his rage at his same aged friend, 'Since when did I drop to the bottom of the food chain Hyuk?'

 

'Shhh.' Hyuk raised his hand up for Siwon to cease talking as Hae began stirring in his arms.

 

'My goodness.' Siwon couldn't believe this.

 

Of course, Hae was at the top of this food chain. 

 

'Hyung...?' Kyu walked forward.

 

'Damn! Come over. I will find you some food.' Siwon stood, 'We're not finished. Hyuk.'

 

Hyuk signaled him to leave with a wave of his hand, his sole attention on the boy sleeping in his arms.

 

As Kyu followed Siwon out the door, Siwon realised darkly that he had just followed another one of Hyuk's order.

 

Now, who exactly was going to the future crimelord. Hyuk seemed too overpowering. 

 

He shook his head and dismissed the thought. No way, Hyuk and him were friends. 

 


 

A/N:

For those asking about my other fics, I guess I may be updating Beautiful Chokehold. Maybe.

I'm so sleepy. Do continue to comment and guess on! 

Goodnight guys! <3