Chapter One

For The First Time

The ray of sunlight emanates throughout the whole room, illuminating small spaces and holes, bringing warmth in the studio apartment. A lady with dark brown hair is dressing herself in a black pencil skirt with a white button down shirt, her fingers slowly donning each button and stops halfway when her phone rings. In a swift movement, she picks it up, "Jung Soojung speaking," a small smile on her lips despite knowing the caller would not see. She continues, "I'll be sure to set up the meeting room in time, ma'am. Before noon, coffee or tea?" 

She nods, lips escaping a soft hum, "Yes, ma'am, I will. Is there anything else?" Soojung puts down the phone as the line disconnects, she continues buttoning her shirt and takes her rubber band, tying her hair in a messy bun updo. Stashing all her items in her bag, she grabs her sheer stockings and walks out of her bedroom which really had no divider with her living room, Her house isn't fancy but it isn't rundown either, just nice and fits with her salary as she describes it.

She wears her stockings and takes her black pumps, checking herself in the mirror one last time before heading out. It is half past seven, she needs to catch up with either the bus or subway today and hopes that she wouldn't be sandwiched in between because the last time she was, she swore the man had d her and said where else could he put his hand in a tightly packed space.

Soojung shakes her head at the thought, she walks down the flight of stairs and greets the doorman, which he returns with a warm smile and says, "Lovely morning, isn't it, Miss Jung?" She chuckles softly, agreeing with the elder, "Indeed it is, you have a good day, Mr. Han," she replies before disappearing in the crowd of people. This is her daily routine, squeezing in between people, catching up with the schedules of public transports and missing breakfast. People would think she is a workaholic when in all honesty, she just wants to get herself a promotion and a stable paycheck.

Arriving at the subway station, Soojung manages to get herself a seat and she thanks God for it. No groping for today, mister, she thought. She stands up when she reaches at her stop, passing by a figure whom she deems familiar but considering that she has a lot to tend to this morning, Soojung pays no heed and dismisses it. She arrives at the office's building entrance, greeting the guard on duty with a subtle wave before heading off to the receptionist, "Morning, Luna," she beams.

The elder looks up, grinning as she says, "Jung Soojung." The lassie gives her a small wave, asking, "Did you get it for me?" Luna pulls on the handle of her side drawer and holds out a plastic bag with a small box in it, she says, "A slice of  Toblerone cheesecake for the one and only, Jjung." The younger claps her hand excitedly, smiling from ear to ear as she takes the plastic bag in hand, "Thank you," she says, "I  owe you."

Soojung heads to the elevator, happy at the thought of finally getting the delectable dessert she has been bugging Luna for. The elevator bell dings when she reaches the eleventh floor, she takes her seat at her secretary desk and places the cake in her drawer before greeting her partner, Joonmyun with a broad smile. The latter asks, "Someone's happy, what's gotten into your ?"

The lassie rolls her eyes at the elder's remark, "God," she sighs, "So much for thinking you'd be the least dirty minded person." Joonmyun emits a small laugh, he retorts, "Funny coming from a girl who still hasn't lost her v-card." She glares at him while slapping his bicep, "Shut up," she says with gritted teeth. Joonmyun only flashes a smile before he reminds, "Whatever, kitty cat. You have two meeting rooms to set up; first meeting is at lunch hour and second meeting is at five so chop chop."

She queries, "What about you? What's your duty?" The latter exhales a sigh, "Check through the slides and fix it up if there's any mistakes." She chuckles at his reply, patting him on the shoulder as she says, "Have fun with that!" in a sarcastic manner before she tends to her side of work, switching on the computer to sign in for work. Joonmyun dismisses it with a wave of his hand, tending back to the slides and checking each single one for any errors.

Once Soojung finishes her online errand, she gets up and heads for the elevator to prepare the meeting room for the board of directors. This is basically what she does everyday, almost. It's only different when the board of directors choose to have meeting elsewhere instead of the conference room that it gets a handful because she would have to search for a proper restaurant and place reservation, ask for the rate as the company are very thrifty when it comes to spending their money for celebrations whatsoever.

She arrives at the fifteenth floor, the highest floor of the building and walks toward her right, facing a large wooden door that leads to a large conference room. She inspects the room from each corner, making sure there is no rubbish or dust before she sets it up with coasters and placing a glass with a bottle of mineral water. Soojung takes out her phone and rings for Joonmyun, "Hey, ," she says, "Don't forget to print out the slides in twelve sets as well once you finish correcting the errors, alright?"

She hangs up and inspects the room again, she makes another call to the office's cafe to prepare a few pastries for the executives to munch on alongside a pitcher of coffee and tea. The door suddenly creaks, startling the lassie only to be greeted with Chanyeol, head of human resource, she flashes a curt smile before bowing in return. He asks, "Are you doing the preparation for the meeting at 12, Miss Jung?"

Soojung nods her head, "Yes, sir. . . Is there any problem?" The latter shakes his head, "No," he replies, "I was just making sure and one more thing, make sure the projector actually works this time," closing the door behind him and as he disappears, Soojung mimicks him, sighing shortly after. It was so long ago and yet, he still keeps on teasing her about it. Nevertheless, the lassie checks it just in case and it is working fine, nothing whirring, buzzing or any odd sound for that matter, thus she leaves the room after her final inspection.

• • • • •

Jongdae looks at the younger, he asks, "Hey, Jongin-ah, are you alright?" The latter looks at the elder, nodding his head and breaking into a smile, "Yeah," he replies, "I'm just a little sleepy." Kyungsoo retorts, "You're always sleepy, get up and go drink some coffee or something." Jongin waves his hand, dismissing the offer as he continues on checking his slides.

Jongdae watches him by his shoulder and asks, "Did you spend the whole night doing this?" He turns his head to the elder and nods, answering, "Yes, I want our proposal to get the spot no matter what. Do you know that we have about eleven other competitors for this project? I need to mke sure that ours have a greater impact than the rest." Intrigued, Kyungsoo walks toward the two and looks at the contents the younger had prepared, he pats on the latter's shoulder, giving him a reassuring nod with a smile as he says, "You did good, you did good."

Jongin looks at the two and asks, "What time is it? The meeting is at noon, we can't be late. The last time we were, Mr. Jo was so furious and I swear, we were just late for 0.5 seconds!" The two laughs at the younger and replies, "That was because the meeting was at our building and this time it's at Oh's building so, we can spare that 0.5 seconds." Jongin shakes his head no, he says, "No, we need to be there early to prove that we're trustworthy, reliable and anything along that line. Capiche?"

Jongin is younger than the two, however, he is the one in charge due to his experience and exposure in business considering that he has a degree from Cambridge and has a better judgement when it comes to receiving and giving business proposals. Jongdae and Kyungsoo surrenders seeing the younger being firm on his standpoint, which is another quality of him as he is very determined when he has a goal set in mind.

Kyungsoo grabs the keys as he twists it around his finger, he says, "Alright, captain. Let's set sail then?" Jongin saves all his work and nods his head, Jongdae pumps his fist in the air and says, "Fighting! Go get 'em, sport." Anybody who looked straight into Jongin's eyes could tell that he is intent in earning the deal, there is so much determination, hope and dream in just a set of eyes.

• • • • •

Soojung places each set of slides on the respectve spot according to the name plates arranged by the management team shortly after she inspected the room, Joonmyun helps her and says, "I'm betting you a box of chicken that the Jo Corporation is winning this deal – I heard a rumor saying that they sent someone with a Cambridge degree." The lassie furrows her brows, Cambridge? We planned to go there, hm. 

She questions, "How do you know? I heard one of the companies representative was a friend of Mr and Mrs Oh." Joonmyun nods his head, replying, "Yeah, that representative is from Jo Corporation! He's the one with the Cambridge degree, there were rumors that Mr Oh and him used to. . . you know. . .," stopping halfway before he leans in close to the younger, whispering, "Dating."

Soojung backs away, glaring Joonmyun to death, she says, "Don't you dare talk about Sehun like that, he's richer and a much more better man than you'll ever be." The elder only retorts, "At least I'm straight, after all. . . Why else is Mrs Oh still," She cuts him by hushing and placing a forefinger on his pair of lips, "No," she says, "Don't say it, we're not allowed to talk about it. Remember? Work etiquette and well, I'm sure they're just not ready plus, they've only been married for two years. There's still a long way to go."

Joonmyun looks at the arrangement before his lips escape a brief laugh, "Oh, Soojung. . . You're still young, what would you know?" She rolls her eyes and bites back, "I'm twenty-five for God's sake—" The latter cuts her, "And still a , so tell me again – what do you know?" The younger looks at him, she breathes, " you." Joonmyun flashes an impish smile before he leans in, teasing the younger, "Do you want me to do you front or back?"

Soojung only shoots a glare and heads for the door, bumping into a figure, in a swift, she backs away and bowing countlessly for apology. Joonmyun looks at her, biting back a laugh as he stands beside her, stopping her actions. The younger turns her head towards him, she is about to say something until the figure asks, "Soojung?" Taken aback, she faces the figure and a mortified look paints her features, she barely breathes and finally whispers, "Jongin. . ."

The latter asks, "Is it. . . really you?" Joonmyun intervenes, seeing the lassie being tongue-tied, he says, "The meeting will not be starting in another hour, sir. You may spend your time at the cafe located on the ground floor." Jongin nods his head, but dismissing it anyway as he looks at Soojung, "Wow," he says, "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

Soojung averts her gaze, rubbing her nape and agrees, "Yeah, the last time we met. . . I mean, yeah – it's, it's nice to see you again." Jongin flashes a warm smile, the lassie feels her heart hammering through her chest and swears that everyone else could her heartbeat thumping. He teases, "Do you really mean it?" Soojung looks up at him, "Huh?" she asks, "What do you mean?"

Joonmyun clears his throat, signalling that there are still others and not just the pair, Soojung continues, "I got work to do, all the best for the, um. . . meeting or proposal, whatever," walking past Jongin with Joonmyun tagging behind her. As the two disappears, Joonmyun asks, "Is that why you kept your ity? For that piece of human?" Soojung exhales a low sigh, she mutters, "Shut up."

Joonmyun is amused by this fact, although he can be very annoying, he takes care of Soojung like a little sister and Soojung acknowledges it. She looks at him as the two are back at their work cubicle, pouting and whining. The elder only laughs, pulling her in a brief embrace and patting her back, he says, "Hey, it's alright. You're only seeing him today so there's nothing to whine about." I sure hope so, Soojung thought.