Mommy, I want to dance

It takes Three to Tango

 

“Mommy I want to dance!” A little girl shouted as she ran from the living room to the kitchen.

“You do it every day.” Her mother, a brunette woman replied, continuing to prepare dinner for her and her daughter.

“No I want to dance for real! Like a ballerina! I want to do ballet!” The little girl explained further, waving her arms around to show how serious she was. A smile appeared on Hani’s face when she saw how her daughter’s eyes shone in excitement.

“For real huh? Well, how about we go check out a dance studio tomorrow?”

And Hani felt her heart clench in happiness when she saw how her daughter jumped in the air and yelled ‘yes’.” She continued her little victory dance until Hani interrupted her.

“Now, help me set up the table Hyuna, will you? Dinner will be ready soon.”  The little girl nodded and took two plates then put them on the table.

The two girls were eating in a comfortable silence, Hani thinking about when she’d take Hyuna to the dance studio and Hyuna thinking how awesome it would be if she could become a real ballerina.

“Mommy, do you think I’ll be good enough to become a real ballerina?” Hyuna suddenly asked, looking at Hani with teary eyes, which had Hani panicking.

“Of course darling and even if you’re not the best it doesn’t matter. All that matters is that you have fun.” Hyuna sighed softly then showed a cheeky grin, before finally returning her attention to the pasta her mother had cooked.

Hani smiled at the sight in front of her. It had been 4 years now since her ex-fiancé, Hyuna’s father, had died due to cancer. The first year had been very hard on Hani, sometimes she had just wanted to give everything up, but then she’d look at Hyuna and remember that she had a little angel worth fighting for. The death of her father had also taken a toll on Hyuna, even though she could barely remember him, but her grandparents were always there to support her and Hani. They made it possible for Hani to work more shifts in order to gain more money when she needed it the most. Now she was working half shifts as a teacher and if she needed someone to take care of Hyuna for a few hours, her cousin LE would usually take her.

“Little angel, why do you want to start ballet all of the sudden?”

Hyuna looked up surprised, her mouthful of spaghettis. It looked like she was thinking for a moment, before she swallowed and spoke up.

“Well, I like to dance and I saw some dance competition on TV. They were dancing Hip Hop then I want to do learn it too.”

“Then why are you choosing ballet?”

“I thought I had to start with ballet. And Jongin said that Hip Hop is only for boys.”

Hani frowned and shook her head. Really, kids these days… But she had been right about her suspicion. Hyuna had never shown any particular interest in ballet, she was way more into the ‘badass’ dances.

“Well Jongin is wrong, girls can do Hip Hop as well.”

“Really?” Hani nodded. “Then can I do Hip Hop instead?”

“Of course angel, now eat your dessert and then go brush your teeth, it’s already late in the evening. You have school tomorrow.”

 

-

 

Hani was sitting at the kitchen table, browsing through all the dance schools that Seoul had to offer and frankly, there were a lot. Some were cheaper, some were more expensive and Hani didn’t know a thing about dancing. Well maybe she did a little. She considered herself a fairly okay dancer, but she still didn’t know which dance school would be perfect for her little angel. The only thing she knew was that she wasn’t going to take the cheapest and she wasn’t going to take the most expensive one either. She wanted Hyuna to learn dancing, not be with some snobs who were in the school because of its reputation, no Hyuna would go to the best dancing school she’d find.

After hours of research, Hani had narrowed it down to three dance schools. EXID dance school, where they called their students L.E.G.Os, she had no idea what it was supposed to mean and therefore chose to ignore it. The second was Exotic Planet dance school, the students were called EXO-Ls and weirdly, she had not seen a single girl in the pictures they had on their websites. The last was Girls’ Generation dance school, where the students were named Sones and it seemed there was a strong connection to the color pink, which wasn’t really Hyuna’s favorite color. In other words, she hated it.

Well, it looked like her three dance schools had been reduced to one dance school. Exotic Planet was out because they only taught boys, and Girls’ Generation was out because they had a mandatory pink uniform for practice lessons and Hyuna was never gonna wear this outfit. EXID had pretty good recommendations on their site and on various others Hani had checked, but she could never be too sure, so she decided to call her cousin, Hyojin, or how everyone called her, LE, and ask for her opinion.

“Ahn Heeyeon, do you know what time it is? You better have a very good reason why you’re calling me at midnight.” Her cousin growled when she picked up the phone, after being probably waken from her slumber.

“It’s about Hyuna. She-”

“Is something wrong? Is she okay? Do I need to come over? I’ll come over!”

LE immediately started rambling, thinking that there was something wrong with Hyuna. She had grown very protective of the little girl while taking care of her, and she wouldn’t hesitate to come over in the middle of the night if something was wrong.

“No she’s fine,-“, and before she could continue, LE cut her off again.

“Then why did you call?!”

A sigh escaped Hani’s lips. Sometimes she really wondered how Solji could handle that bundle of overflowing energy that was Ahn Hyojin…

“As I was going to say, she wants to learn dancing. Hip Hop to be exact, ergo I looked up a few schools and there is this one, EXID dance school. Since you’re a music producer and you kinda have connections with everyone in the business I figured that maybe you knew about them.”

“Yeah, first of all it’s pronounced E.X.I.D and not EXID as in exit with a d. Second, yes I know them. They’re really good, the training is hard, but the results are impeccable. Are you going to check it out?”

Hani nodded, before she remembered that LE couldn’t see her. “Yes, tomorrow.”

“When you’re there, ask for a Park Junghwa. She’s one of the best teachers they have, if not the best.”

“Noted. Thanks for your input.”

“Anything for you guys, now I’m going to sleep, see ya!”

 

-

 

The dance school did look impressive. The building was huge and the front facade was covered in multiple windows which showed what looked like dancing rooms.

“Woah this looks great!” Hyuna exclaimed, her eyes sparkling at the sight in front of her, which only made Hani chuckle.

“Come on let’s go inside. I talked to auntie LE yesterday, she said we had to ask for a Park Junghwa.”

Hyuna nodded, grabbed her mother’s hand and started running towards the entrance, dragging chuckling Hani with her.

The interior was just as impressive as the exterior. It looked prestige, without having the usual show-off effect. To their right was the reception desk, a girl with blonde hair sat behind it reading a magazine.

“Excuse me?” Hani called out for the woman, who looked up and smiled as soon as she saw the pair.

“Yes? How can I help you?”

“Ah, you see, my daughter here would like to start dancing Hip Hop.”

The blonde woman nodded and mustered Hyuna for a short time.

“How old are you little one?”

Hyuna shot her mother a unsure look and only answered once Hani had nodded, telling her that it was okay to reveal her age to this stranger.

“Six.”

“I see. Have you ever danced Hip Hop?” And a huge smile broke out on the woman’s lips when she saw Hyuna shake her head. “Would you like to try it out? If that’s okay with your mother of course.”

When Hani looked down, she was met with a pair of puppy eyes, begging her to say yes. And who could resist those?

“Of course you can.”

“Good. We actually have lesson starting in a few minutes, she can attend it if you have the time. My name is Hyerin by the way.”

“That’s not a problem. I'm Ahn Hani. Oh, and I was told to ask for a Park Junghwa.” Hani suddenly remembered what LE had told her to do.

Hyerin nodded. “Well you’re in luck then, the lesson that’s about to start is hers.”

 

-

 

When Hani first saw Junghwa, she would have described her as angel. The girl was beautiful, having an innocent baby-like face and yet she emitted something mature, experienced, maybe even y, Hani didn’t know. All she knew was that ever since she laid her eyes on that woman, she felt like she was swept off her feet. The way Junghwa was talking to the little students, who couldn’t be older than five or seven, really, they were so adorable. But was even more adorable than them was the way Junghwa was talking to them, crouching down to be at an eye-level with them and not hesitating to hug and comfort them if needed. In other words, Hani could have stayed here forever, just watching that angel interact with little children. It was such a pleasing sight, really.

“Junghwa, come over for a moment, a little nugget would like to try out.” Hyerin called for the black-haired dance teacher.

Junghwa said something to her students, who all went into the back of the room where they sat down, before she walked over to the trio, a soft smile on her face when she spotted Hyuna, who was gazing at her in, was it amazement?

“Hello there, little one. What’s your name?” She asked, crouching to be at the same height as Hyuna.

“Hyuna. Who are you?”

“I’m Junghwa. I teach Hip Hop here. I heard you wanted to try out, is that true?” Junghwa asked.

“Yes!” Came the overexcited reply, while Hani could only smile at the sight in front of her.

Junghwa nodded and stood up to face Hani, however when she saw the woman in front of her, she froze for a few seconds, similar to what happened to Hani when she first entered the room.

“I’m Park Junghwa. Nice to meet you.” The woman smiled, holding her hand in front of Hani to shake, once she had recovered.

“Ahn Hani, Hyuna’s mother. Nice to meet you as well.” She grabbed Junghwa’s hand, flinching lightly at the jolt that ran through her hand when their skin came in contact.

Junghwa told her that the lesson would be sixty minutes long and that she could come pick Hyuna up once it was over. Hani then bid goodbye to her daughter and went to her cousin’s house, which was about five minutes away from the dance school, until she had to pick Hyuna up again.

 

-

 

“What was it you wanted to talk to me about?” Hani asked curious when she sat down in front of Jughwa in the woman’s office.

 Hani tried not to look too much at Junghwa, but she was so beautiful, it was hard to tear her gaze away.

“It’s about Hyuna.”

“Is something wrong with her?” The brunette instantly asked, all of her attention now on their topic. It was about Hyuna after all.

“No, no, she’s fine. I just called you here to talk about her progress. You see it’s only been a month since she started, but she’s already one the same level as the other kids and she is even better than some.” Junghwa explained.

“Well that’s good, but what about it?”

“Ah, if you want and if she wants you could consider letting her dance on a competitive level.”

The mother stayed quiet for a short time, she wasn’t sure about the ‘offer’. Of course it would be a good experience and all, but Hyuna was only six. She wondered if it was really necessary. But she could still ask her.

“I’m not sure, I mean, technically it’s her decision if she wants to or not. But let’s assume she was going to say yes, what would happen then?”

Junghwa fidgeted a little. “Then she would have to take extra lessons. The competition is tough, even at such young age.” And when Hani frowned at her, Junghwa quickly added: “it wouldn’t jeopardize her health though.”

“Okay, then I will talk to Hyuna about this and when I’ll have her answer I’ll tell you.”

And when Hani stood up and bid the dance teacher goodbye, she could have sworn that she saw a look of disappointment on the woman’s face.

 

-

 

It had been two months since Hyuna started taking extra lessons. Most of the times they would dance at the dance school, but sometimes it also happened that they danced at LE’s place, with Solji watching over them, just like now.

They had been practicing for one and a half hour and now both of them were lying on the floor, resting, when Hani walked into the room.

“My, my, I see you were dancing hard.” She laughed at the sight of the two dancers glued to the ground.

Hyuna shouted a weak ‘mommy’, but stayed where she was. It took them about five minutes to stand up and properly greet the brunette. Hyuna jumped into her mother’s arms, hugging her tightly and Junghwa just smiled, while her eyes roamed Hani’s attire, which consisted of a pair of heels, a black at mid-thigh ending skirt and a white blouse, which showed the black bra underneath. Or maybe her eyes just roamed Hani’s body.

“How was training?” Hani asked the dance teacher, Hyuna still in her arms.

“Good, Hyuna worked really hard and she’s having fun.”

“You’re having fun?” Hani repeated, this time addressing her daughter, who nodded and voiced out a barely coherent ‘yes’ against her shoulder.

“That’s good, now, go take a shower.”

Hyuna was placed back down and looked at the door with a sigh, before muttering ‘fine I’ll go’. It’s not that she didn’t want to shower, she just enjoyed being in the presence of her mom and Junghwa. It was somehow comforting.

“Yes mommy, bye mommy. Bye eomma.” She said before dashing out of the room.

Hani and Junghwa just both stared at the door, before staring at each other, both perplexed.

“Did she just?” They spoke at the same time, stopping mid-sentence, then turning back to the door, and then facing each other again.

“She called me eomma.” Junghwa whispered, feeling a sudden heat rise to her cheeks.

“She called you eomma.” Hani repeated. She was baffled. She didn’t know what to feel about this. Should she feel happy, jealous or even be mad? This made no sense, even though she had to admit it was kind of cute.

Their silence was broken by Junghwa, who fake coughed a little, before speaking. “I’ll be going now. See you around Hani.”

“Wait!” Hani shouted before Junghwa could leave the room, making the latter turn around perplexed.

“Yes?”

“Would you maybe like to grab coffee, like Friday or Saturday? If you have time of course.”

“Friday. Friday is good.”

“Really? Great!” The excitement in Hani’s voice was barely masked.

“It’s a date then.” Junghwa smirked, then her heels to leave the dance room.

 

-

 

LE stared at the two adults in front of her in disgust. But really, how could anyone this age act so cute and childish and god LE swore she was throw up any minute.

“You two, stop.” She hissed, holding one hand in front of her eyes.

“Stop what?” Hani replied confused, her arm around Junghwa’s shoulder, both cuddled up together.

“This.” LE was waving her arms at the two, showing what she meant. “Stop being so mushy. It’s disgusting.”

Junghwa rolled her eyes, LE always had a way to exaggerate. “You’re just jealous because Solji-eonnie isn’t here.” She then stuck out her tongue at the music producer, who growled back.

“No, but your daughter’s coming soon and I don’t want her to see this disgusting act.”

It was Hani’s turn to roll her eyes, before she took Junghwa’s chin between her index finger and thumb and turned her head in order to seal their lips in an innocent kiss. An innocent kiss that was interrupted by LE’s gagging noises and Hani would have killed her cousin right on the spot, if it wasn’t for the door opening and Solji and Hyuna walking into the living room.

“Mommy! Eomma!” The little girl shouted when she saw the two adults on the couch. After giving them a tight hug, she went over to LE and hugged her as well.

It had now been six months since Hyuna had started taking extra dance lessons and three months since Hani and Junghwa had started dating. Hyuna had quickly accepted Junghwa into the family, heck it was because of Hyuna that Junghwa and Hani had started dating. Somehting especially Solji and LE were happy to have happened, because no matter how much LE teased Hani for being so sweet with Junghwa, she was still her cousin and her happiness meant the world to her.

“Mommy, can I sleep at Gayoon’s tonight?” Hyuna asked with puppy eyes after having talked to LE and Solji.

Junghwa and Hani shared a look before nodding. “Sure. When do you want to go?” Hani asked.

“Now.”

With a soft grin Hani stood up, wiping the non-existent dust off her jeans. “Okay, get your stuff I’ll drive you there.”

Hyuna dashed out of the room, leaving a group of amused adults behind her.

“See you later honey.” Hani smiled as she leaned down to press her lips against Junghwa’s, only to have LE mockingly repeat ‘see you later honey’.

Hani shot her cousin more playful than anything glare, but LE still shut , while Solji and Jughwa just laughed.

“Now go, Hyuna’s waiting for you. Bye Love.” A smile appeared on Junghwa’s face when she felt Hani’s lips at her ear.

“I love you.”