Welcome to The Team

Chasing Dreams

          Truthfully Yijeong didn’t know if he was ready to take this to the next step. He had received a phone call from Loen Entertainment only a week after he had been kicked off of the singing program he had auditioned for. Excitement took over and a meeting between a company representative, his parents and himself had been held, ending with Yijeong ultimately signing a contract. The contract stated that he was to be part of a five member boy group that was set to debut sometime in April 2013, giving Yijeong a whole year training to look forward to, they even said he didn’t have to dance.

          Yijeong now stood outside the company dressed in a grey tracksuit, he clutched at his stomach, begging the butterflies dancing about to calm themselves. Yijeong felt is backpack begin to slip from his shoulder, so he shifted it up higher not wanting it to fall. The bag was filled to the brim with some of his personal belongings, mostly clothes. He had been told that he would be moving into the dorm room were the other members already reside today, the same day he was to meet them for the first time. His parents were going to be delivering some more of his things at a later date, and he was already looking forward to their visit.

“Are you just going to stand there?” A voice called out. Yijeong looked up not having realised that someone had exited the building. The first things that Yijeong noted about the man was about how large he was and that his face looked rather squishable. “I’m the manager of the group you are now part of. Follow me, I’ll take you to the practice room so you can meet the others.” The manager said, not sparing a second thought he turned to go back inside. Yijeong followed closely at his heels.

          To Yijeong the inside of the building was just as magnificent as the outside, beams of light coming in from the large front windows, setting the place aglow. Yijeong’s mouth hung open in amazement small gasps escaping his lips. A wave of nervous excitement settled over him. He was pretty sure that some people were pointing and snickering at his behaviour but, he could care less.

          Yijeong came to a quick stop when he bumped into the back of the manager, who he had been following. “Sorry.” Yijeong stammered out, taking a look at the door they now stood in front of. The manager completely ignored him, instead he swung the door wide open.

“These are the Hyungs that will be taking care of you from here on out. All of you please try to get along.”

          Yijeong felt his pulse quicken, feeling intimidated at the sudden appearance of his fellow members. They stood closely huddled together, almost as if they had just been discussing something before Yijeong and the manager had interrupted. Three of the boys were a lot taller than Yijeong, one of which was also covered in huge muscles. He has muscles in places that Yijeong didn’t even know muscles could form. Yijeong’s eyes then went to the boy who was of similar height to himself, he mustered up some courage and gave a smile in his direction. All he got in return was a blank stare. In fact all of them stared at Yijeong with rather stoned face expressions, making Yijeong’s smile falter. He could only imagine the contempt that they must be feeling towards him. How hard they would have had to work, competing against friends they had been training with for years all for a chance to debut. Then there’s me. Yijeong thought, hand-picked by the company to be part of the group.

The manager sighed. “Well introduce yourselves.” He then continued to clap his hands together, almost as if he was hoping it would speed up the whole progress.

          The tall and extremely muscular man stepped forward slightly. “I’m the leader Song Kyungil, I was born in ’87.” Kyungil said gruffly before send Yijeong a nod of acknowledgement. The introduction, Yijeong felt, was not helping to lessen the strong aura of intimidation that the four men gave off. In fact Yijeong only felt it increase as the next member stepped forward.

“I’m Na Dokyun. I was born in ’91. Let’s get along well.” Dokyun said, smiling brightly. Yijeong blinked in surprise at how genuine Dokyun sounded in his introduction. Doubt however quickly flooded his mind. There is no way they would be genuinely glad to meet you. You won’t be welcomed in that easily Yijeong, focus. An extremely deep voice dragged Yijeong out of his thoughts, curtly saying:

“Kim Sihyoung, ’92.” Yijeong looked to the man that just spoke, only to find him starring directly at him. Yijeong shifted uncomfortably under the stare. The then moved his gaze over to the boy whose height was similar to his own. The boy sighed as if he had somewhere else he rather be. He didn’t even bother to look at Yijeong as he introduced himself.

“Kim Jaeho. Same age as this guy.” Said Jaeho, gesturing in the direction of Sihyoung.

          Yijeong didn’t really know how to feel about the evident disinterest that he received from all the members. It’s not like Yijeong had been expecting himself to just be able to waltz right in and have everyone instantly love him but, the way he felt right now was not something he had been expecting. He shook with fear, more fear than he had when he had auditioned for the singing program. He was sure his face was flushed from nervousness.

“I’m Jang Yijeong.” He managed to choke out, “I was born in ’93. I look forward to working with you all.” Yijeong finished with a deep bow. As he raised himself back up it dawned on him. He was the maknae, the youngest member of the group, the “yes” man, the scapegoat if things go wrong. Yijeong stood there allowing the horror to sink in, as he looked up at his group members.

“We know who you are Yijeong.” Jaeho said with a smirk, “Welcome to the team.”