一 [ il ]

Sick


------------------------
Blending In
-----------------------


Another face in the crowd. Jung Krystal used to think she'd do anything to be like everyone else, a regular girl, a generic burden on society. But instead she was born into luxury, a high achiever in school and thought to be immaculate with her manners and mannerisms. To the outside world, Krystal's life was akin to that in fairytales; she lived in a big fancy apartment she owned herself, she had a personal chauffeur, designer clothes, expensive jewelry, friends amongst the rich and famous and most importantly... She was beautiful. 

Perfect.

"All that glitters is not gold." That became her motto. What seems like the ideal life to others was to her her worst nightmare. Krystal despised her fancy apartment. She disliked being courted around by drivers and servants. She sneered at the pretty, expensive clothes and jewelry, couldn't stand her rich and famous friends and absolutely loathed her beauty. What good was her pretty face when she already had so much? Men saw her sizeable bank account and not much else, so what did it matter if she was beautiful? 

Her Mother used to smile when Krystal would voice her opinions during her youth and pat her head whilst telling her she just didn't get it... Not yet. Her mother would tell her that beauty mattered most, that Ugly things weren't liked and that Krystal would always be liked, because she was beautiful. But the older she became, the more she began to hate her mothers logic. Krystal was surrounded by such immeasurable beauty on a daily basis and she began to dislike them all terribly. She hated her mother for her vapid and air-head attitude. She hated her Father for his greed and parental neglect. She hated her sister for being the doll her parents expected. But mostly, she hated herself; she hated her beauty more than anything else. 

"Why are we here?" Krystal's best friend, Song Victoria, asked with an air of disdain. 

"For fun."

Victoria sneered. "What kind of fun could be had in a place like this?" 

Krystal peered around at the run down bar, at the neon lights that were only partially working, the chewing gum covered pavement and the filthy fake velvet ropes that were supposed to give this -hole a "VIP" edge. It was low class and grimey and exactly the kind of place Krystal wanted to be. 

"I like it." She told Victoria bluntly. "I'm going inside and I'm going to order myself a drink."

Without waiting for her friends response, she walked towards the bouncers at the front doors, who eyed her up and down with mixed expressions, though never the less held open the ropes for her to enter. She knew Victoria was following her without even checking. Though the two had been born with similar silver spoons in their mouths, Victoria was the closest thing to an actual friend Krystal had. Or, at the very least, Krystal knew Victoria wouldn't go gossiping about this to the other girls in their "friend" circle. 

"This place is sordid." Victoria hissed in her ear as they began to walk through the bar towards the bar. "We could catch something just breathing the air in here."

"Don't be absurd." Krystal muttered back. "You had all your shots, didn't you? You're perfectly safe."

Victoria didn't look convinced, but Krystal hardly cared. The place was filthy, the music was too loud and the people were, seemingly, even louder and filthier. Maybe it was the smell of B.O mixed with alcohol, but something about the place made it seem worst than it probably was. This was known as a hot spot for the Seoul clubbing scene, so logically it couldn't be all that bad, but through Victoria's sheltered eyes it must have appeared truly revolting. That just made Krystal even more determined to stay. 

Sliding up to the bar Krystal pulled out a note and waved it towards the interested looking bar tender.

"What you having?" He asked skeptically, like he knew they two of them didn't belong.

Krystal wanted more than anything else to prove him wrong.

"A beer." She told him firmly. "Your cheapest beer."

He eyed the note in her hand. "With that?" 

She eyed the 50,000 won bill in her hand and frowned. 

"We don't have anything smaller." She addmited, turning to confirm with Victoria, who shrugged. "Is it a problem?"

"That depends..."

"On...?" She prompted impatiently. 

"How much you're going to tip." He winked, attempting to be cute and cheeky.

He was neither. Rolling her eyes she motioned for him to take the note impatiently.

"Make that two beers." She stressed. "And keep the change."

"Seriously?" He blinked, accepting the note and staring across at her. 

"Yeah." She sighed, waving away what she assumed would be his refusal. 

It wasn't like she'd miss the change. Tapping her nails against the sticky bar she gazed around at the other patrons, wondering how she must look to them. Did she blend in? Did she stand out? Turning to look at Victoria she knew her friend would never fit in a place like this, even if she had been giving an effort to do so. With her designer dress, heels and diamond clad jewels adorning her ears, wrist and neck, Victoria was the epitome of sophistication and glamour, especially with her well crafted up-do and artfully made up face. Men were giving her more than second glances, their eyes sparking with won signs as they took in her appearance and came to the correct deduction that she was from wealth. 

Peeking down at herself Krystal smiled. Victoria had seen stunned when they'd met to see Krystal wearing just skinny jeans, a vest top and leather jacket. She still wore heels, but hers were in the form of leather ankle boots that fitted well over her jeans. Hair left down and wavy, makeup minimal Krystal was sure she looked average... And the look had taken Victoria back, who had come out expecting to hit clubs in their usual, upper class scene. 

"Here you go." The bar tender spoke, drawing Krystal's attention back to him. "Two cheap beers for two very beautiful ladies."

"Spare me the sugar." Krystal muttered as she snatched the beers from him and handed one towards Victoria, who accepted it with just her finger and thumb like she was afraid it would bite.

Taking a quick sip, Krystal tried not to wince at the bland, luke-warm taste and walked away from the bar towards the dance floor, dodging bodies as she swayed her hips in time to the rapid beat of the music. Victoria stood next to her looking uncomfortable as Krystal began to dance in a way she wouldn't have been caught dead doing anywhere else. Rising her arms above her head she closed her eyes and pushed away everything she was supposed to think, supposed to feel and tried to let loose. 

Victoria's voice snapped her out of her temporary reverie. "Can we go yet?" 

Opening her eyes Krystal took in her friends form, the way Victoria stood hugging herself looking ready to bolt from the room at any second. Feeling a moment of guilt, Krystal lowered her arms and opened her lips to agree when a pair of arms s around her waist and tugged her back against a solid form. From Victoria's expression, Krystal knew it was a guy - and a hot one at that. 

Turning her neck Krystal peered up - and up - at the guy and blinked, stunned. He was hot and incredibly tall... And he was also touching her inappropriately. 

"Hey baby." He grinned, flashing his perfect teeth. "What's your name?"

"Get your hands off me." She snapped, wrenching his hands from around her waist and stepping away from him with a put-upon huff.

"Woah, chill." He laughed, holding his hands up in a surrender gesture. "I'm only being friendly."

He had dark, mushroom like hair, a wide almost contagious smile, wide bright eyes and an expression that showed how amused he found Krystal's rejection and she knew when somebody was joking around with her. And Jung Krystal was no-ones joke. 

"Well I'm only telling you I'm not interested." She told him straight, turning her back to him and flicking her dark hair over her shoulder for good measure. 

"Give it up, Chanyeol, she's too stuck up." Came an unimpressed drawl. 

Turning around she found another boy had joined Mr touchy-feely and raised her eyebrow at him. Bleached white hair, sharp, straight features and skin so pale it almost blended with his hair. But it was the cold indifference in his expression as his eyes roamed over her that ticked her off the most. 

"Who are you calling stuck up?" She demanded as he came to stand in front of her next to his friend. 

"Don't." Victoria muttered and grabbed at Krystal's arm, attempting to tug her away. "Just leave it, let's go-"

"You should listen to your friend and leave." Blondie agreed. "You don't belong in a place like this, Princess."

Krystal narrowed her eyes, the name affecting her more than he probably knew. Crossing her arms across her chest she jutted her hip out and scanned her eyes over him in an obvious manner, making sure to keep her expression unimpressed as she reached his cold eyes. Let her lips curl up in the corners slightly she raised an eyebrow mockingly.

"You're right, this place has clearly gone downhill letting you in." 

His friend burst into laughter at her comment, whilst Blondie simple tilted his head to the side and appraised her more intently. 

"That's funny, I don't recall ever seeing you in here before." He noted. "This the first time daddy's let you out, Princess?"

"We come here all the time. Right Vic?" Krystal nudged her friend.

Victoria remained silent, her eyes darting between the two boys with trepidation. 

"Now I know you're lying." He gestured towards Victoria. "Otherwise your friend here would know not to wear what she's got on. She stands out like a beacon here dressed like that."

Finally Victoria seemed to stir from her silence and Krystal knew it was only because the Blond jerk had dared to call her outfit into question.

"Your one to talk about fashion." Victoria snapped, pointing a manicured finger down at Blondie's clothes. "That top with those jeans? Let me guess, they're knock-offs, right?"

"Yep." He agreed proudly, smoothing his shirt out. "This whole outfit probably cost less than one of your shoes."

Krystal frowned, not sure where he was going with this. His friend seemed amused by the whole thing, laughing at everything they said and practically sniggering every time the blond jerk responded. It was like he was in on some kind of joke that both Victoria and Krystal weren't apart of and it annoyed her.

"That's nothing to be proud about." Victoria carried on, seeming to get more riled up by the second. "That's just cheap. Let me guess, your unemployed?"  He didn't answer. "I'll take your silence as a yes, so why don't you do something productive like go out and get a job instead of wasting our time?"

"You know what? I think that's what we'll do." He gave both Krystal and Victoria a mocking ninety-degree bow which drew attention from a few of the others on the dance floor. "It was an honour to meet you, Priss, in all your designer glory." He told Victoria with mock seriousness, before his eyes flickered back to Krystal. "And you too, Princess. It's truly great to see your upright upbringing hasn't left you incapable of slumming it with the rest of us unemployed slobs. Maybe next time ditch the stuck up , eh?" 

Krystal moved before she registered properly her actions. Her hand collided with his cheek hard, the ringing slap echoing around them. Stunned silence came from Victoria and touch-feely, everyone staring at Blondie to see what he'd do. His hand rose to his slightly pink cheek, his eyes turning cold and his jaw locking, almost like he was gritting his teeth. Krystal took a quick step back, her breathing rapid as she realised what she'd just done.

"Don't act like you know us." She told him quietly, her voice barely heard above the music. 

His lips curled into a smile that was more like a sneer. 

"I know you're kind just fine." He told her, before walking off through the crowd.

Krystal stared after him, completely stunned. How dare he call her Princess... And twice! Scowling she turned and grabbed Victoria's arm, both of them dumping their ty beers on the first table they found. Storming out of the club Krystal paced the sidewalk, shaking with anger.

"Thanks for defending me." Victoria told her friend a little awkwardly. "Those low-lives are so not worth the floor we step on. People like them should learn their place."

That was their place, Krystal thought bitterly. Turning away from Victoria she questioned why she'd bothered to bring her friend at all. It had been obvious Victoria stood out, why hadn't she thought things through properly and told her to change? Digging into her pocket she pulled out her smart phone and dialed the number for her driver. 

"Pick me up." She ordered him as soon as he answered. "I'm at Club X and make it quick. I don't want to be here a second longer."

"Thank God." Victoria muttered in relief as Krystal hung up. "I told you that place was disgusting. Places like that only reflect the scum that attend them." 

Scowling Krystal looked down at the trod in chewing gum and felt her eyes sting with tears she'd never shed. Why didn't Victoria understand that Krystal liked the look of this place? Did she enjoy always speaking formally with correct, proper Korean or at times, in English? Never eating whatever you wanted in fear of gaining weight, never going anywhere without escorts or drivers, forever dressed in the finest and looking your best...

Krystal just couldn't understand.

Why wasn't Victoria sick of it, too? 


 


 


"You look... Acceptable." Jessica, Krystal's sister sniffed that next evening as Krystal climbed into the limo Jessica was in.

Dressed in an elegant ball gown, Krystal knew she couldn't even compare to Jessica no matter what she wore. Where Krystal was beautiful, Jessica was stunning. Golden brown hair, a skilled fake smile and a perfectly proportioned body... Jessica wasn't jut rich, she was also successful, designing her own clothing and selling them in a store she created and managed herself. But where Jessica was naturally talented in fashion and design, Krystal had always accelerate academically, especially in music. The two sisters were as different as day and night and that suited Krystal just fine.

Looking out at the passing scenery, Krystal found her eyes drawn to Club X as they passed it, the memories of the previous night still fresh in her mind as she spotted the bouncers by the door. Victoria just wanted to forget last night completely, but Krystal couldn't help but re-hash the entire evening, becoming even more agitated and annoyed each time. It wasn't even about what that jerk had said - though the Princess comment had pissed her off for sure - it was more how he'd immediately known Krystal hadn't belonged. Victoria she could understand, but why her?

What had made her not fit in? 

The limo pulled up outside the art gallery and Krystal allowed the driver to help her out, her eyes taking in the photographers and red carpet laid out before her. Here nobody questioned if she belonged, if anything, here everyone expected Krystal to be walking the red carpet, posing for the cameras, sipping out of champagne flutes and mingling with Seoul's upper crust. This was the world she was born into. This was the world she loathed

"Smile, will you?" Jessica hissed next to as they both posed for the magazine photographers. 

"I am." Krystal whispered back, moving her lips as little as possible.

"Show some teeth!"

With her lips pulled into a tight closed-mouthed smile, Krystal refused to open and smile properly, like Jessica was. It was, in her own little way, her private act of rebellion. Barbie always smiled like Jessica did, but Krystal didn't want to be Barbie. She wanted to be the knock off Cindy Doll. Holding her dress as she walked, Jessica waved to the press like royalty, working the crowd like the icon she was whilst Krystal hung back, not wanting to be the center of attention. After posting for a few more pictures she retreated inside the Gallery, where she was immediately offered a wine flute after the doorman had taken her light jacket and handbag. 

Patrolling the room, she made small talk with a few people she recognised before going over to join her circle of friends, who were admiring a large painting of a meadow. Admiring the painting she sipped her champagne as her friends spoke, all of them seemingly awed by the painting.

"It's pretty, right?" Choi Sulli asked her. "Son NaEun painted it."

"And I've just bought it." Park Luna announced proudly. "I'm going to hang it in my summer house." 

"It's nice." Krystal agreed.

Walking towards the next painting she admired the bold lines and colour, her eyes scanning over the picture appreciatively as she considered purchasing one for her own summer house over on JuJu. Victoria came over to join her, away from the other girls and smiled as she caught Krystal's eye.

"You going to buy this one?" She asked approvingly. 

"No." Krystal realised, her eyes running over the picture. "I don't think I will."

"Are you okay?" Victoria asked suddenly, lowering her voice. "Look, I don't know what was going on in your mind last night, going to that kind of place, but if there's anything bothering you, you can talk to me about it, you know that, right?"

Turning away from the picture Krystal looked at her friend, wondering just how far her friends offer extended. What would Victoria think if Krystal really did tell her what was on her mind, that she was growing tired with the act she put on in the world, that she couldn't stand to be in this place much longer. Would she sympathise? Would she judge?

"I'm fine." Krystal assured her. "Just tired."

"If you're sure..."

"I am." Holding up her glass she clinked it against Victoria's. "Shall we make a round of the room?"

Hooking arms, the two girls began walking together, making small-talk and smiling for the occasional picture. Stopping in front of a print made up of four pictures, Krystal found herself awe-struck by the photograph, which seemed strangely out of place amongst the beautiful paintings. It was a picture of a simple grey wall with a beautiful women stood in the foreground smoking a cigarette. In some she had her eyes closed, others she was looking at the camera, but in one in particular she was stood upright, pulling at her T-shirt and exposing her toned midriff. 

"I wonder who she is." Krystal mused aloud.

"It doesn't fit in with the other stuff." Victoria frowned, looking around at the small corner they'd drifted into and the white walls around them. "Maybe they were left here by mistake?"

Just as she spoke an attendant rushed over, his expression scandalised.

"My apologies!" He gushed. "This must have been left here from the amateur art show this morning. As you can see, it's one of the losing pieces, so I'll remove it immediately and take it to the trash-"

"Don't." Krystal frowned, somewhat disturbed at the thought of it being put in the rubbish. "I'll buy it."

"Wh-what?" He frowned, looking completely taken back. "Bu-but this piece isn't part of the show, Miss-"

"Then contact the artist." She frowned. "I want this piece." 

"Very well." He murmured. "I'll find out who it is, now."

As he rushed away, Krystal turned to see Victoria watching her, a strange expression on her pretty face.

"What?" Krystal demanded. "I like it. It's... Different. Edgy."

"It's trashy." Victoria muttered, eying the picture with obvious dislike. "It's nothing at all like the actual art in here. Don't waste your money on this junk, Krystal."

Sighing Krystal hooked her arm back through Victoria's. 

"Don't lecture me on this, Vic. I'm buying it and that's final."

Though Victoria didn't look exactly pleased with it, Krystal knew she wouldn't argue with her and looking back at the picture she felt a swell of jealousy for the girl in the picture. She was beautiful,there was no doubt about it, but her beauty wasn't the focus of the photos. It was the girls care-free attitude, the rebellious way she smoked and exposed her body as if she was sticking her middle finger up at those who only viewed her as a pretty face.

She was everything Krystal wanted to be, and yet everything she'd never have. This type of girl could walk into Club X, dance with abandon and not worry about some random guy telling her she didn't belong. She was mysterious, alluring in all the right ways... Nobody would ever profess to knowing her type. Krystal wondered what Blondie would say if he had met this girl last night, rather than Krystal. Would he have been so rude and stand-offish, or would be have smiled at her easily and made friendly, perhaps even flirty small talk?

Did it even matter? For some reason, it really did. His imagined opinion of her suddenly made Krystal uneasy and determined to prove him wrong about herself, however ridiculous that may have sounded to anyone else. He would have easily accepted this girl as one of his own, which meant if Krystal wanted to be accepted by him she had to be like this girl.

That's why she just had to own her picture.