Silence

Okay

Why did we take him so much for granted?

It wasn't his fault he overdosed just like it wasn't the pills that almost killed him... We are to blame. It was Infinite. It was us.

 


Hoya’s figure was like a statue, frozen in the uncomfortable chair beside Sunggyu’s hospital bed. He had refused to let go of their leader after he found him there on the bathroom floor, bleeding and unconscious. Even when the ambulance arrived, Hoya clung desperately to him, following him in against the manager’s orders.

Pressing his lips together, Myungsoo turned away from the window and slumped down against the wall. He dug the heels of his palms into his eyes, trying to rub away the exhaustion that hung heavy over him. It had barely been two hours since Sunggyu was hospitalized, but it felt so much longer to him.

The doctor’s words lingered in his mind. He should be alright, he had said with a frown. But for some reason, he refuses to recover. It’s as if he doesn’t want to wake up. He had chuckled nervously here. But he does want to wake up, right? Then he had hurried away when only frigid, tense silence greeted his question.

A warm weight settled into his side. Sungyeol. He silently accepted the steaming coffee and took a sip, forcing down the thick, murky liquid. Turning into the man by his side, he hugged his knees close to his chest, laid his head on Sungyeol’s shoulder, and closed his eyes.

Hyung has to be okay. He can’t…

Myungsoo gritted his teeth and pressed his nails into the palms of his hand to stop his train of thought.

Of course he won’t die. Sunggyu-hyung is strong, and he wouldn’t leave us. He promised… he promised"He’ll be okay,” Myungsoo said out loud, as much a reassurance for Sungyeol, who was trembling beside him, as for himself. But his words fell flat in the room, empty of movement, empty of joy, empty of color.