Ipomaca and Nutmeg Geraniums

Flowers for the Fox Prince [hiatus]

Baekhyun walked into the dining hall with a triumphant smile, Sehun in tow. Maybe because it was his birthday or maybe because his younger brother had found sentimental drawings his father had thrown away not so long ago. Either way, he couldn’t wipe the smile that had crept its way on his face. Nor could he get rid of the great feeling welling inside when he saw the look of confusion on his father’s face. Baekhyun walked around the table to the head — past the dukes, past the duchesses, past the kings and queens, past the servants — where a grand platter was set out in front of him. Sehun sat in the high chair next to him. Three entrees were hidden under a dome of silver. In front of him, the men and women of royal waited patiently, hands in their laps, for Baekhyun’s next move. He felt on top of the world. It was a wonderful feeling. The only one who couldn’t wait was his father, as usual.

 

“Why don’t you pick a platter to start the meal?” his father asked. Baekhyun’s ears flattened against his head, and his tail went rigid. He narrowed his eyes and just crossed his arms. It was his birthday, and he would be taking orders from no one. But he felt multiple pairs of eyes on him, and his tail swished back and forth, his ears perked up. He pointed to the middle dome. A servant bowed low and lifted up the lid to reveal a roasted pig. Baekhyun’s mouth watered, and he waited anxiously for the servant to start passing it around after cutting. Of course, when the servant did finish, it came to him first, and he could hardly contain his urges to devour the piece of meat, but as royalty, and as all of his birthdays in the past, he folded his hands in his lap and watched as the meat was served to everyone. Once it was, Baekhyun held himself back no longer and attacked the meat, as did the other members at the table.

 

When the other two dishes had been revealed and eaten, dinner was over and the guests — along with a others that weren’t at dinner — were ushered into a ballroom with a piano and a grand chandelier hanging from the center. The room shimmered gold. Baekhyun held Sehun’s hand as they pushed through the crowd to the front of the room where the instruments and their players were. Their father stood next to them, chest puffed up, as though he were proud of Baekhyun. Bull, he thought and gripped Sehun’s hand tighter. Their father cleared his throat, and stopped the background music. The noise stopped, and everyone turned their attention to where the family of three stood.

 

“Welcome,” their father’s voice rang loud and clear. “guests from kingdoms, near and far. I have invited you today for a very special occasion that deserves to be celebrated. As you all know, we foxes become immortal once we hit sixteen. That is why I look so good for my age.” He paused, and a small laugh rippled through the crowd. “Anyhow, it is every fox’s favorite day, no doubt. And on this day, May sixth, a special red fox was born sixteen years ago.” The room erupted in polite claps. “My dearest son,”

 

“Bull.” Baekhyun muttered under his breath.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, the oldest, and closest to my heart,”

 

Sehun buried his face into Baekhyun’s hanbok. Bakehyun grit his teeth, and pulled his younger brother close.

 

“— is turning sixteen today!” Applause came from every corner of the room. Cheers, shouts of joy, and whistling could be heard. Baekhyun bowed and smiled back at the crowd, feigning joy. It was stuffy and poised. He pulled at his collar and wanted to rip the clothes from his body. Eventually it became too much. Baekhyun took his brother by the hand and pushed through the mass. Everyone stopped their noise and watched the brothers walk towards the door.

 

“Where do you think you’re going, Baekhyun?” his father called.

 

“Out.” Baekhyun replied. No other words were exchanged and the doors slammed shut behind the two. The guards watched Sehun and Baekhyun make their way to the front door. They exchanged glances, but did nothing to stop them. As Baekhyun pulled the front door open, the guard there called for him.

 

“Master,” he said. Baekhyun’s foot paused halfway out the door and he turned to the guard. “Something has been left for you on the steps.” Baekhyun nodded and left. The guard shut the door behind him. The night was humid and crickets chirped around them. Above, the moon was obscured by clouds. Sehun walked ahead and down the steps to a dark lump. He picked it up and rushed back to his brother and presented the lump. It was a bouquet of ipomaca. Baekhyun frowned and took them from Sehun’s hands. There wasn’t anything special about them, but he had a fascination with them that made his stomach fill with butterflies. It was the same feeling he had with the carnations.

 

“Baekkie…” Sehun tugged on the edge of Baekhyun’s hanbok. “Baekkie, someone is coming.” He hid behind his brother and pointed to the figure walking up the stairs. The way the figure limped made Baekhyun’s heart race and panic filled him. Baekhyun backed up and stepped closer to the palace. His back hit the door. He knocked on it and it swung open. Two guards were by his side in an instant. Their swords were drawn. Baekhyun and Sehun stood behind them and watched the figure become illuminated by the lights. When he was in full view, the guards put their swords down. It was a man who looked as dangerous as a flower. He had round eyes and a baby-like face. For a moment, he a Baekhyun exchanged looks. Then he smiled. Baekhyun's fear disappeared, but there was still a bit of unease.

 

“Hi,” the man said as he got closer.

 

“Peasants are not allowed in the palace unless invited.” the guard said.

 

The man bowed low. “My apologies. I was hoping to get the job of a servant, or a butler of sorts.”

 

“Name.”

 

“Kim Minseok.”

 

The guard looked at Baekhyun. “Master,”

 

“It's not my decision.” Baekhyun muttered. “This is not particularly the best of times, but you want to talk to my father. Coming back tomorrow would be in your best interest.” Minseok nodded and bowed again. He didn't leave, though. He stood there and studied Baekhyun for a while longer. Baekhyun shifted under his gaze. It was starting to get creepy. He took Sehun by the hand and led him back into the palace, bouquet of flowers in hand.

 

The guards shut the door, but before it closed completely, Minseok called out, “Happy birthday, Prince Baekhyun.” His tone was low and every word was drawn out. Shivers raced up and down Baekhyun's spine.

 

The next day when Baekhyun walked into the dining hall, he saw his father talking to the man he had encountered less than ten hours before. Everything the man wore seemed normal. The way he nodded and smiled at the King was just as anyone else would -- polite. But when he saw Baekhyun, his eyes glinted with malice. Baekhyun stopped in his tracks. Then he shook the thought away. Maybe he was just being paranoid. He gripped the hem of his shirt and walked over to the table. Fruit was already set out along with croissants and bread. Baekhyun grabbed a croissant and an apple and walked out of the dining hall. As he was about to ascend the steps back to his room, his father called him. He groaned and met his father in the hall with Minseok standing next to him.

 

“Baekhyun,” his father said. “This is Kim Minseok.”

 

“I know. I met him last night.” Baekhyun said, not meeting Minseok's eyes.

 

“Ah, well that's good. He'll be your personal servant.”

 

Baekhyun blinked. “He's going to be my personal servant? Did I hear you right?”

 

“Would you rather him be Sehun's?”

 

“If you touch a hair on his head, I will kick you out faster than you can even make an excuse.” Baekhyun spat. Minseok put his hands up and shook his head.

 

“Baekhyun, don't be rude.” His father said. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and left the two standing there and returned to his room. Sehun was already wrapped up in Baekhyun's large comforter. He giggled when Baekhyun shifted into a fox and curled up next to him. Sehun reached out a small hand and began to pull his brother's tale. Baekhyun hissed in response, but didn't do anything. He couldn't take away the smile that had made its way onto his brother's face. After more smiles and laughs, there was a knock at the door. Baekhyun shifted to a human and answered it. Minseok stood there and bowed when he saw Baekhyun.

 

“Hello, Prince Baekhyun.” he said, but he looked past the fox prince and to Sehun who was now hiding under the covers, only his ice blue eyes showing. “And hello, Prince Sehun.” Baekhyun glared at him, but let it happen. “I noticed you were holding flowers last night.” Minseok said out of the blue. Baekhyun nodded, not sure where this conversation would go.”Ipomaca, right?” Nod. “Did you know, that in the Victorian flower language, ipomaca means 'I attach myself to you.’?”

 

“How do you know that these have anything to do with the Victorian flower language?” Baekhyun asked, narrowing his eyes.

 

“I don’t.”

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Then what do carnations mean?”

 

“What color?”

 

“Red.”

 

“It means ‘My heart aches for you.’”

 

Who would send Baekhyun such a thing? He hadn’t interacted long enough with people out of the palace for their heart to ache for him. He thought back to the drawings. Maybe… No, they were too young. The one he drew them with probably didn’t even know he was the prince. He had been wearing generic child’s clothes back then. But deep inside, Baekhyun hoped that maybe it was. If he could trace the sender, they could have a wonderful reunion. It was impossible, though. If the sender is anonymous, it could be anyone – even a guard.

 

Baekhyun lay awake that night, Sehun snoring next to him, staring at the ceiling. Sometimes he would glance over at the ipomaca and carnations he had put in a vase. Hopefully he would get another batch of flowers that Minseok could translate for him. Did they actually mean what Minseok was saying? Or were they just presents with no meaning? Most likely the latter, but it was more exciting when there was some meaning behind it. Baekhyun’s mind raced.

 

Sehun woke his brother by bouncing on his stomach. “Flowers! More Flowers!” he cheered, sitting on Baekhyun’s chest. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Sehun and sat up. Minseok was already in the room holding a bouquet of nutmeg geraniums. He had a smile on his face, nodding with Sehun.

 

“Last night when checking things in the palace I found these geraniums that seemed to have been thrown through an open window. And they mean ‘I expect a meeting.’” He said, beating Baekhyun. “On the tag it says ‘midday at the square.’”

 

“Today? Midday today?” Baekhyun couldn’t keep a smile from his face. His tail swished with excitement.

 

“Midday, midday!” Sehun echoed.

 

“Get up quickly then! It’s almost time!” Minseok said. Baekhyun nodded and jumped from the bed. He slipped into a hwangp’o. With Sehun and Minseok in tow, he grabbed breakfast and headed out. The road to the village wasn’t too long on foot, so they reached the square and sat on the fountain in the center. The square, though, wasn’t very square-like. It was round and shops lined the sides. The village folk walk in and out carrying bags of food or trinkets. Many regarded Baekhyun with a bow, and others didn’t even blink. Baekhyun looked around, butterflies filling his stomach. Sehun splashed in the fountain behind him and getting Minseok drenched. He even managed to get Minseok partially in. How could they be so carefree at a time like this? They weren’t the ones meeting some secret admirer, Baekhyun reminded himself. Everyone who passed by was potentially the sender of the flowers, and Baekhyun regarded them with wide eyes, but they just hurried away, faces flushed. Baekhyun watched the sun move in the sky. It had to be past midday. He was feeling less excited now as the sky turned a brilliant orange. Minseok and Sehun lay on the edge of the fountain in an attempt to dry themselves, giggling. Baehkyun’s ears fell and his tail dipped into the water. He was getting ahead of himself. Or Minseok was lying to him. Anger bubbled inside and he Minseok. As he did so, someone called out to him from behind.

 

“Prince Baekhyun?”


A/N: I'm so sorry for the lack of updates. School has really taken all of my time. Also sorry for a crappy chapter. I didn't know what to do to fill the gaps, but I know where this is going, I promise. Thank you for being so patient. Don't forget to give me some TLC in the comments <3