After all these years

Reunited

Taemin’s POV

It was a tiring day from work. Being an engineer is hard but this is the path that I took so I don't mind it. Ever since I was young, I was fascinated with buildings. I always like being seated near the window when we’re riding in the car so I can see all the tall buildings. So when I graduated high school, I know that I’m going to take up engineering in college.

I tossed my keys on the table and sat on the couch. We have a project due in a couple of weeks and we’re working our butts off because our client is a big company in Korea and also because of one thing, the president of the firm I’m working in told me that if this project will be done nicely and will exceed his expectations, he’ll make me the next project manager.

When I was about to close my eyes to take a quick nap, I heard my phone rang so I picked it up.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Taemin!!! How’s it been?” As soon as I heard it, I know who it was.

“Minho hyung!! I’m good. How’s US?” I asked. Minho hyung was one of my best friends when I was in college. He’s in the US as of the moment because his company sent him there for a project.

“Pretty good. So, have you heard about the reunion?”

“Reunion? What reunion?” I asked him.

“Our college reunion. It’s in two weeks. You don’t know anything about it?”

“No. I’m so busy with work so I have no time checking my e-mails or social media.”

“Okay. Well, now you know that’s its happening and you should go. All of our blockmates will be there.”

“All of them?” When I heard that, there’s only one person that popped in my head. Her. “You sure all of our blockmates are going?” I asked again.

“Yes. Including you know who. When was the last time you saw each other?”

“I don’t know, 4 or 5 years?” Yep, it was really a long, long while since I last saw her.

“Wow. So, are you coming or not?”

“Hmmmm. I don’t know. I’m busy with work.”

“Pfftt. Work my . Maybe you just don’t want to see her. Dude, it’s been what? 5 years since we graduated? Atleast come for me and Jongin, okay? See you in two weeks and check your emails. Peace!” Hyung dropped the call even before I could say anything.

I leaned my back on the couch and thought about the reunion. Well, I miss the gang but I miss her more. I thought that not seeing her for a long time will make me forget but no, I can’t. Minho hyung’s right, part of me doesn’t want to go because of her.

Son Naeun.

My one and only college crush.

But if I have a crush on her for years, it’s not a crush anymore. It’s love. Yep, I’m still in love with her after all these years.

Flashback 9 years ago

It was the first day of school and I’m so excited. This is the first step of me being a successful engineer in the future. I looked around the campus and I felt that I belong here. I immediately went to the room where I’m having my first class. I saw two guys talking and immediately introduced myself.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Taemin imnida” I bowed to them.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Choi Minho imnida”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Jongin imnida”

I sat beside them and we talked. Minho’s two years older than me and Jongin so we called him hyung. We became like best friends that fast and it felt so good. Minutes have passed and the classroom is starting to fill up. I was checking my bag when a girl entered the room and the next thing I know, I was staring at her. She was so beautiful, like an angel. I felt my heart stammer in my chest. Never have I seen a girl as pretty as she was. She sat in the front and I couldn’t stop looking at her, even just at her back.

Minho hyung and Jongin noticed me then started the teasing. After a while I learned that her name was Son Naeun. Wow, what a lovely name for a lovely girl.

Weeks have passed and I haven’t talked to her once. My two friends kept on insisting me to talk to her but I was shy. I’m the friendly type of guy but when it comes to her, I’m really shy. We first talked when we were groupmates for a project in one of our subjects. Since we are in a group, we’re always together, well not just the two of us of course there are others. While working on the project I knew that she was smart and artistic. She can also get along with us well. She helps me with the things that I’m having a difficult time to do. And her smile, it’s the reason I have energy every day. I just kept admiring her more and more.

After a few months I mustered up all the confidence I can get because I want to tell her about my feelings and if I can, I’ll court her. With the help of my two best friends, I was ready.

I bought some flowers and a teddy bear in my hand to give her. I was looking for her in the park in the campus but she’s not there. I went outside and saw her sitting in a bench, doodling on a sketchpad. Gosh, can’t she be so cute? I was about to walk to her but then a car stopped in front of her. A guy went out and hugged her. She hugged him back. The guy then grabbed her bag and helped her in sitting in the car. Seeing that made my heart sank. She already has someone else. I just turned around and walked away with a heavy heart.

I told my two best friends what happened and said to me that it’s okay, that I’ll find someone else. I can only just nod but inside of me, I’m broken. Every time I’m on my way home, I always saw the same car with the same guy picking her up. I just stood behind the tree, looking from a far with tears in my eyes.

Inside our classroom, I never showed her that I was hurt. She doesn’t have a single clue that I have feelings for her. All she can see is the Taemin that is friendly, the Taemin that she helps, the Taemin that wants to be a successful engineer but only if she knew that the Taemin she is seeing, is dying every time he sees her with someone else.

End of flashback

2 weeks passed – The Reunion

Here I am standing outside the clubhouse. I’m so nervous and I’m thinking of going back to my car and just ditch the reunion. But I don’t want Minho hyung get mad at me since I already said that I’m going. So I took a deep breath and entered.

Looking around I saw all of my friends and blockmates from college. I gave some of them a hug and shook some hands. It’s really good seeing all of them after a long time. I grabbed something to eat and chatted with them. Then someone sat beside me.

“I thought you’re going to ditch us”

“Well, I’m here”

“Good. I miss you bud” Minho gave me a brotherly hug and I hugged him back.

“I miss you too. Where’s Jongin?”

“He’s on his way.”

Jongin came then we grabbed some liquor and talked. It feels like college all over again. Reminiscing all the good times we had, the struggle in passing subjects, cramming when the deadline is nearing and of course joking around campus. I only drank 2 glasses since I’m driving. I went to the rest room and  when I was on my way back to my friends, I saw her.

Damn.

She became more beautiful. She’s now a goddess. I was just staring at her like the first time I saw her on the first day. I then held my chest because it was about to explode. She saw me and flashed that smile that melts my heart everytime. I smiled back at her and waved. She then walked to me and gave me a pat on the shoulder.

“Lee Taemin. How are you?” She said and flashed that smile again. Help, I’m gonna melt any second now.

“I..I’m good. How about you?” Gosh, why am I acting like a lovestruck teenager. Basically, I am.

“Good. I heard that you’re a project manager now?”

“Not yet.” I smiled and just continued the conversation. I learned that she works for a construction company and is planning on taking up a Master’s Degree which I told her that would be a piece of cake since she’s smart. We talked for a few minutes more and she went back to our other blockmates.

“It was really nice seeing you again Taemin. Good luck.”

“It was nice seeing you too Naeun. Good luck also on the Master's degree.”

I went back to Minho hyung and Jongin then bonded with the others. From the corner of my eye I saw Naeun went to the terrace. Minho hyung noticed and told me something.

“Dude, just go tell her that you have feelings for her when we’re in college.” Minho hyung said.

“Correction, feelings since college until now” Jongin added and made hyung chuckle.

“Atleast you can say to yourself that you told Naeun about your feelings. Just let it out. It will be good for you.”

Hyung was right. Even if she’s still together with that guy, I need to tell her about my feelings. It’s hard just keeping it inside. I need to let this go, to let her go even if she was not mine in the first place.

I went to the terrace and saw her just looking outside. I went beside her and also stared at the view.

“It’s a beautiful night” I said.

“It is”

My heart is jumping up and down like it wants to get out. I took a deep breath and said.

“How is your relationship with your boyfriend?” She didn’t answer but just looked at me confusingly.

“You know, if you don’t have a boyfriend when we’re in college, I’m going tell you about my feelings and try to court you” I said and she just looked at me and chuckled. Why? Is something funny with what I just said?

“You know, if you just told me about your feelings, we’d be together until now.” She said. Wait did I just heard it right? Me and Naeun together? Are my ears playing tricks on me?

“What? But you have a boyfriend. I saw you.”

“Boyfriend? Excuse me Engr. Lee but I don’t have a boyfriend when we’re in college”

“Then who’s the one I always see picking you up every day after school?” I’m really confused now.

“It was my brother silly. Appa always let oppa pick me up after school” She said while looking at me.

“! I should’ve asked it in the first place” I was out of my mind. It was her brother! I just went with what I saw but never asked her about it. But since it’s was years ago, maybe she has a boyfriend now.

“You can still do it. You know, court me” I heard her say. I looked at her and she smiled at me.

“You’re my one and only crush when we’re in college Taemin. Until now, I still have feelings for you”

To think that all this time, Son Naeun also has feelings for me. I don’t know what to feel. The next thing I know, I was crying. I don’t know why but I started to cry. Maybe because off all these roller coaster of emotions I’ve experienced.

I felt Naeun touch my face and wipe my tears with her thumbs. I looked at her and saw her also tearing up a bit. I smiled, pulled her in a hug and kissed her forehead. I felt her arms wrap around my body. After all these years, Naeun and I are really meant for each other.

There’s a lyric from a song that popped in my head that’s perfect for this moment.

Reunited and it feels so good…..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Just finished my first oneshot. What do you guys think?

About my other story, don't worry. I'll update it as soon as I can.

Hope you like this one. Happy Reading!!