1/1

Let's Not (Fall in Love)

cross posted to AO3

 

 

"Jiminnie,"

"Yes, hyung?"

Yoongi paused, he stared to the younger who blinked at him cutely.

"No, nothing."

 

 

After dinner, Jimin runs to his room quickly. He makes a loud sound on the wooden floor. His mom glares at him, wrinkles her eyebrows. Jimin is an energetic teens, but his mom thinks he is all too noisy. He will laughs too loud on TV shows, or closes the door not so silently. She wonders if Jimin is like that too in the school; how can his friends are not complaining to him?

Jimin slams the door, with a loud sound, of course. He grins to his bed. There’s someone waiting at him in there, he is sure at that, even though his room’s lamp is not yet.

“Good evening, Jiminnie,” A voice is heard. Jimin is widening his smile.

“Hello, hyung,” Jimin turns on the lamp.

A boy is sitting lazily on Jimin’s bed. He has bronze hair with bangs. Jimin always thinks that the color suits his pale skin very well.

“Why you are always banged your door like that,” Yoongi wrinkles his nose. “In two years or less, the door will broke, I swear.”

“Don’t be like that, hyung,” Jimin slumps beside him. “I’m sure the wood is very strong.”

Yoongi laughs. He runs his fingers to Jimin’s black hair. “How’s your day today?”

“It ,” Jimin huffs. He pulls up the blanket up to his chin. They both lay together under the comfy blanket, legs tangle together. Then Jimin tells Yoongi about his annoying friend, his countless homework, his teacher, his grades, and they talk about a lot of things until Jimin falls asleep.

Jimin is always a fast sleeper, but he's easily awake. Yoongi looks at the younger's calm face. He removes the hair from Jimin's forehead softly, tries to not wake Jimin up. Instead, Jimin snuggles more into Yoongi's side, makes himself more comfortable.

Yoongi caresses the latter's soft cheeks. It's already lost its baby fat. Yoongi remembers, three years ago the cheeks were still chubby, it was hiding both of Jimin's eyes when he smiled. Now the cheeks are slimmer; there's a persistent line on his chin. Everyone can tell that Jimin is growing up.

"Two weeks to go, Jiminnie," Yoongi whispers. He kisses Jimin's palm and pulls him closer.

And with that, Yoongi falls asleep too.

 

 

"Can I meet that friend of yours?" Taehyung glares at Jimin. "I never saw you walk with another person but us! I'm curious!"

Jimin hisses, but Jungkook hisses him back. "Yeah, I'm agree with Tae. Can we meet him? Is he nice? Is he cute? Or is it a she?"

"Ssh, guys, calm down! It's a library!"

"The hell with library," Taehyung snorts, but he lowers his voice though. "All I need to know is your new friend! If he doesn't nice to you, I will kick him in the !"

"Uhm, excuse me, but he's not new."

"Wow, so you two is what, childhood friend?" Jungkook beams.

"Uh... sort of..."

Jungkook turns to Taehyung. "Don't be too worry. Jimin is sticking to him since childhood, I'm sure he's nice."

"What make you think like that, Kookie?"

“Well, because Jimin is sticking to us now and we know we’re kind and nice person,” Jungkook grins. Taehyung high fives him, while Jimin playfully hit them with his book.

“Seriously, guys, I don’t even know why I make friend with you two.”

Jimin accidentally tells his best friends in the school, Jungkook and Taehyung, about Yoongi. He says that he can’t follow them to the bubble tea shop this noon because Yoongi is waiting for him.

“Please, just for today. He said that he needed to talk to me,” Jimin begs. “And I swear I will introduce him to both of you. He’s even nicer than you two,”

“Well, okay, then.” Taehyung stands from his chair abruptly. “See you tomorrow! Come on, Kookie,”

Jungkook waves to Jimin and they both disappear behind the library’s door.

Jimin turns to his homework. He needs to finish this chemistry essay before Tuesday. He wonders if Yoongi can helps him with homework. All this time, he never asks the older to help him with stuffs like that. All they do are talking about the day, mostly Jimin’s day, and Yoongi will listen to him, sometimes gives him some advice or just smiles and lulls Jimin to sleep.

That’s right, Jimin thinks. They never done something like he always do with Jungkook and Taehyung, like go to bubble tea cafe, window shopping to the bookstore, stuffs like that. Yoongi and Jimin will just simply sit on Jimin’s bed and talking.

Jimin tries to concentrate on his homework, but the words is swimming in front of his eyes. He closes his book and decides to working on it tomorrow.

 

 

“Yoongi-hyung,”

“Hmm?”

“Do you like me?”

Yoongi glances to his side, eyes opens wide. They are on the backyard, enjoying the star on the night sky. Jimin’s parents are gone, somewhere Jimin doesn’t need to know, and neither has he cared. The important thing is he has the whole house for him and Yoongi. They finished the Transformer marathon since after school, and Jimin said star gazing sounds fun.

“Of course I like you, Jiminnie. I’m your friend, remember? How come a friend doesn’t like each other?”

“That’s not what I mean,”

Yoongi intertwines his fingers with Jimin’s. “Then tell me,”

Jimin gulps. The feelings when Yoongi plays with his fingers is always calming him down. This time it is no different, but this time he can feels butterflies as well. He wonders why.

“You know Taehyung and Jungkook? They said that they go steady this noon, because they like each other, they care for each other, and they want to be together as long as they can.”

Yoongi grins. “People doesn’t have to get steady with each other to care, Jiminnie. And I think you deserve someone better than me.”

“I know, but,” Jimin paused. He closes his eyes. “But it sounds, special. And you are special, hyung.”

“Don’t fall in love with me, Jiminnie.” Yoongi laughs.

Jimin opens his eyes. His eyes meet with Yoongi’s bleary face instead of happy face.

“What’s wrong, hyung?”

Yoongi squeezes their hands together. “Nothing, sweetie. I just realized that you’re growing up so fast and I’m getting old,”

Jimin laughs. “But you just two years older than me!”

“Yeah, but I’m still old.” Yoongi snorts.

They let the topic falls down easily. Jimin leans on to Yoongi’s shoulder. The air is calm, they don’t feel like disturbing it with serious talk. Their hand still linked, none of them realize that. It’s very usual to them to do that; they used to sleep like that anyway.

It’s been a long time, Jimin realized, since Yoongi and him meet and make friends. Jimin is still ten years old when Yoongi suddenly popped from nowhere on Jimin’s window. The pale skin caught Jimin’s heart easily, and the hair color too. Yoongi’s hair was blonde at that time.

Yoongi was -is- like coming out straight from Jimin’s drawing book. On winter, Jimin drew a young boy like him, with yellow color for his hair, and pink for his skin. Then a few days later Jimin met Yoongi. These days Jimin wonders if Yoongi meets him is a fate.

Then Taehyung came along, and Jungkook followed. They were Jimin’s first friend in secondary school. Sometimes Jimin asks himself how he become friend with Taehyung. He is weird, very talk-active, and everything that Jimin’s not. Taehyung ever invites him to his house, and Jimin is amazed by the amount of Taehyung’s drawings on his wall.

“I like them to accompany me,” Taehyung says. “I like the beauty of those pencil line, every drawing is made with different emotions, you know?”

No, Jimin doesn’t understand it. To be honest, Jimin is not completely sure about Taehyung’s random talk. Mostly Jimin just agreed to whatever Taehyung says. But he’s a very sweet and caring friend, so he was glad he met Taehyung.

And Jungkook. Jungkook came when Jimin and Taehyung skipped the math class. They were heading to the rooftop, but caught by a soft voice singing in the music room. Taehyung insisted that they must check on that voice, in case there’s no one singing in the music room. That means, Taehyung thought it was the ghost which was singing.

Jimin remembers when Jungkook jumped because Taehyung slammed the door open. And Taehyung was surprised too because of Jungkook.

“Oh, God,” Taehyung said. “I thought you were a ghost!”

Jungkook blinked, and, Jimin doesn’t know how, they start to meet each other frequently and they became best friend.

Jimin smiles at the memories.

“What are you thinking, Jimin?” Yoongi suddenly says.

“Nothing,” Jimin breaths in Yoongi’s scent from his neck. “I just remember things when I met Taehyung and Jungkook,”

“They still don’t know about me?”

Jimin shakes his head. “Umm, I accidentally told them last week.”

“I don’t understand, why you don’t tell them about me?”

“Because,” Jimin shivers. “I just don’t feel like it.”

Yoongi wrinkles his nose. He ruffles Jimin’s hair. “How are they?”

“They’re fine, of course,” Jimin laughs. “It will be so weird if one of them sick or something. They are perfectly fine with their tall and healthy body.”

“And I bet you’re the smallest one,”

“Hyung!”

Yoongi laughs. He pinches Jimin’s cheek softly. Yoongi’s hand feels cold on Jimin’s skin. When Jimin looks up to glares at him, Yoongi feels like glowing. His white pale skin is shimmering, no, it almost like he has fluorescent all around his skin. His eyes are sparkling, looks like it refracts the moonlight.

And, suddenly Jimin realized that Yoongi is never aging. His face is looks exactly the same when Jimin meets him years ago. No signs of chubbier cheeks, or taller height. Jimin lost some baby fat on his cheeks, he already work hard for it to disappear. But Yoongi; Yoongi is still the old Yoongi. Physically and mentally.

“Hyung,” Jimin can’t resist the urge to ask about his age. Heck, all this time he just realizes that he doesn’t know about Yoongi’s birth date. “When is your birthday?”

“Why, did you forget it?”

“Umm, yes, sorry, hyung,” he lies.

“Hahaha, it’s okay,” Yoongi taps his fingers on Jimin’s nose. “My birthday is on March. March the ninth.”

“Wah, we missed your birthday!” Jimin sits up. “Oh my God, sorry, hyung!”

“Nah, nah, it is okay,” Yoongi chuckles. “And, by the way, yours is up in a few days, right?”

Jimin flushes. “Yes,”

“What do you want for your birthday present?”

“No, hyung, you don’t have to buy me anything.”

“But it’s your eighteenth birthday!” Yoongi pokes Jimin’s head. “I need to buy you something!”

“Well, you can just come to my birthday party, hyung, and I will be happy.” Jimin smiles. “And you can meet Taehyung and Jungkook too!”

“Taehyung and Jungkook,” Yoongi whispers. “Okay, I will go,”

“Really?” Jimin squeals. “Yay! You’re the best, hyung!”

Jimin hugs him tightly, buries his face in to the warmth of Yoongi’s neck and hair. They stay like that for a few minutes.

It starts to rain so they decide to enter the house.

 

 

The room is decorated with colorful paper craft, there’s a big flower every one meter, and too many helium-filled balloons, bouncing all over the ceiling. A big table is settled in the middle of the room, empty, because the cake is not coming yet. It’s Taehyung and Jungkook who will take the cake from the bakery. It is Jimin birthday today, and the birthday boy can’t stand still.

“Oh, dear,” His mom sighs for the nth time. “Can’t you just sit down and calm for a second or two? You don’t even helping me with this dishes!”

Jimin grins. “Sorry, mum, but I’m excited!”

“Yes, I know, sweet heart,”

Jimin bounces himself in the sofa once again, and sprints to his room upstairs. This is a private birthday party. It just him, his mom and dad, and Taehyung with Jungkook. And Yoongi.

It’s the first time for Yoongi to meet Jimin’s friend and parents. Jimin is so excited to introduce him to Taehyung and Jungkook. Yoongi agreed that he will come to his birthday party, which is today.

The party starts at seven, but it’s only six, and Jimin starts to worry if Taehyung and Jungkook can’t come. The cake must be coming one hour before the party start isn’t it? Or Jungkook still has his dance class? Or Taehyung still stuck in the traffic jam? Or...‒

“Jimin,”

Yoongi is on Jimin’s room, sitting lazily as usual. Jimin runs to him immediately. If Taehyung and Jungkook can’t make it to his house, at least one of the guest already coming.

“Hyung! You come! Oh, I’m so glad!”

Yoongi smiles. He throws himself to hug Jimin before he closes the door.

“Happy birthday, Jiminnie,”

“Thank you, hyung!” The birthday boy hugs him again, this time it is tighter. “I am glad you can make it here.”

“Of course, Jimin. I am always here.”

Jimin releases him and smiles. It is still fifty minutes more to his party, but Jimin thinks he need to introduce Yoongi to his mom first. They surprisingly never met before, since Yoongi always lets himself in through Jimin’s window.

“Hyung, let’s meet my mom downstairs.”

Yoongi frowns. “For what?”

“Hyung, do you ever realize I never talk about you to anyone else? I don’t want my mom think about you as a creeper, and she doesn’t know you like she knows Jungkook and Taehyung.”

Yoongi laughs at ‘the creeper’. That makes Jimin flushes. “I am not a creeper, Jimin, please. I am your friend, and,” Yoongi brings down his face to Jimin’s level so their distance is dangerously close. “Have you ever feel uncomfortable beside me?”

Yoongi kisses Jimin’s lips softly. They never kissed before, this is their first time. Jimin’s heart is beating so fast, it could burst anytime soon. He opens his lips instinctively, let Yoongi explores his mouth.

Jimin grasps after a while, because the lacking of oxygen. His breath is heavy.

“What was that?” Jimin whispers.

“Your birthday gift,” Yoongi replied. “I always wanted to do that but I don’t want to scare you.”

Jimin smiles so wide, his eyes make a crescent-like shape. “Nonsense.” He laughs. “Come on, I want my mom to meet you. And Taehyung with Jungkook too. Let’s go downstairs.”

Jimin already pulls the older’s hand but Yoongi remains in his place. He hold Jimin’s hand firmly, so he can’t go any step further.

“No, Jimin. I am sorry but I can’t.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I can’t meet your mother. I can’t meet Taehyung and Jungkook.” Yoongi says. His voice barely heard. He glances to his side, not wanting to look Jimin.

“Why? You worried they will judge you? I am sure they won’t, hyung, I promise, I can kick Taehyung later if he insult you or just making you uncomfortable, and he better‒”

“No, Jimin, listen to me.” Yoongi sighs. “It’s not about how they will react about me. It just, I just can’t. That’s all.”

Yoongi can’t bear the disappointed look in Jimin’s eyes. His hand still in Jimin’s hand. He can feel Jimin tightening his hold.

“Is there ‒is there any proper explanation?”

Yoongi closes his eyes shut. Because I am not your real friend, I am your imaginary friend, I live in your imagination, and by the age of eighteen, you cannot see me anymore. Nor you can remember me. Yoongi makes sure his voice is calm and steady when he answers Jimin’s question.

“No, Jimin. Nothing can be explain.”

 

 

“Happy birthday Park Jimin!” Taehyung screams. He throws confetti on top of Jimin’s head like there’s no tomorrow. “Blow the candles! Quick!”

“Taehyung-ah, don’t worry you can eat the cake too after this,” Jimin’s mom laughs. She holds a cake-knife and by the time Jimin finishes, she lets Jimin cut the cake.

“So first piece is for my mom!” Jimin gives the piece of cake to his mom. “And second is for Dad,”

“Where’s mine, Jiminnie??”

“Shut up Tae. I just want to give this to you, but I think this goes for Jungkookie instead.”

“Oh, thank you so much, hyung. And happy eighteenth birthday!”

Taehyung pouts.

“And this is for you, Taehyung.” Jimin laughs. “Don’t worry I won’t leave you out.”

“Yay, thanks!”

“And one more piece for…”

Jimin stops. Everyone in the room look at him, confused. Jimin’s hand hanging in the air; he still holds the cake and stops on mid-air.

“What, hyung, isn’t that piece for you?” Jungkook asks.

“I don’t know,” Jimin says. “I feel like I missed someone, but I can’t remember who.”

“Well, honey, if you considered our cat as a human, maybe you want to give that cake to him?” Jimin’s mom laughs. Everyone in the room laugh with her.

Jimin still can’t shake the odd feelings, but he decides to ignore it. He eats the cake then, and laughs too.

“Maybe you are right, Mom.”