I'll kick my shoes off in a fit of joy.

I'll kick my shoes off in a fit of joy.
The best time for rollerblading is the middle of the afternoon, when the sun is leaving the sky. The air cools, but the pavement retains the warmth of the day. It's perfect weather for shorts and cotton long sleeves.

Lu Han pushes off the concrete sidewalk in an easy rhythm, unconsciously matching the beat of his music on his way home. He pulls his phone from his hip pocket to change the song as he skates across the walk of a driveway.

He hears a loud squeak, a thump, a shout, and then he just feels. He rolls onto his back and aches. Everything hurts, and he's surrounded by brilliant white light.

Another thud, and a boy--a cute boy, wow, with soulful brown eyes and totally kissable lips--kneels beside him and blocks the blinding sun, his hands fluttering nervously over Lu Han like butterflies. "I am so sorry!" Even his voice is nice, deeper than Lu Han would expect from an angel, but he's not about to complain. "I promise I didn't see you! I just got my license. Oh my God. My mom's going to kill me. Are you hurt? Should I call the hospital? I could drive you, but I probably shouldn't. Maybe I should call the police." He's fumbling with his cell phone, mumbling nonsense Lu Han can't really follow.
Lu Han lifts his arm and drops it onto the stranger's lap. He was aiming for the kid's shoulder, but depth has changed. "Hey. I'm Lu Han." Smooth.

The introduction cuts through his babbling, at least, and Jongin chews on his lips instead, looking dejected and worried like a puppy caught digging in the potted flowers. It's truly adorable, and if Lu Han hadn't just been struck by a vehicle, he might have believed Cupid had shot him with a speargun.

"You gonna tell me your name in case I want to file a suit?" His hand slides down worn denim. The kid's got muscles.

"K-Kim Jongin, and I'm really really sorry!"
The pain's still there, but he can feel it, which is a good sign. He experimentally wiggles his fingers and toes and even lifts his head, because one foot has more movement than the other. One of his skates is missing. His knees are also skinned but look more scraped than bloody. Doctor Lu recommends bandages and ice. He carefully lowers his head to the pavement again. "Help me find my feet, and I'll let you buy me coffee as an apology."

"Of course!" The poor kid scrambles after the skate that was knocked off Lu Han's foot.

"...And then let me buy you dinner."

"Sure! Anything." Jongin figures out the buckles on Lu Han's skate, socked foot on his thighs, when his conscious catches up. "What?" His eyes are wide and his face is slack, as if the muscles in his cheeks and around his eyes gave up trying to keep up with his emotions.

Lu Han sits up, leaning back on his hands, and offers a smile. "He just hit me with your car. You at least owe me a date."

Jongin blushes and ducks his head. "Now?" he asks in a small voice.

Lu Han swallows the urge to coo at him and shrugs. "No time like the present." Keep it cool. Walk off the pain.

They're interrupted by a delivery truck's horn. Throughout the whole ordeal, they had not left the middle of the driveway, and a bakery truck had an urgent delivery of cinnamon buns and croissants. "Let me move the car first!" Jongin helps Lu Han to his feet, cheeks red like the sunset, and helps him hobble to the low wall beside the sidewalk.
Once the little compact car is moved, the van driver ignores them. Lu Han can see him mumbling to himself and almost feels bad for being in the way. Almost.

He was struck by an angel, though. Kind of a special circumstance.

Jongin returns. His face is much less pink. He takes Lu Han's arm and stands him up so it drapes across his shoulders, tucking his own arm around Lu Han's waist. "You don't have to worry," Lu Han comments cheerily, "I'm not going far!"

"I just don't want you to fall."

"Kind of late for that," Lu Han mutters. He smiles at Jongin.

Jongin blushes again and smiles back.