Chapter 3

The Flower of Death 2.0

Bora's heart stopped at the sight of the new arrivals. As they all started to surround her, the air in the alleyway grew thick with tension. The girl noticed that there was a certain aura around the group and she knew right away that she would be killed if she took one wrong move.

"Didn't think a weak girl like her would be able to hinder the almighty Kai," a tall brunet off to the right teased, a mocking smile on his face.

"Shut the up, Sehun," Kai, the man standing behind her, growled.

The blonde man in the center took a step forward and looked down at her. Bora gulped and stuttered, "P-Please, all I want is some answers. And maybe my life spared?"

He snorted and held up a hand. Another tall man wordlessly pulled a .45 pistol from a holster on his side and placed it in his hand along with a silencer. "Answers I can give you. But sparing your life? I'm afraid that's something I can't do," the blonde said as he attached the black cylinder to the gun.

Bora's eyes widened as she watched the man nonchalantly toy around with the gun. He even whistled a tune while putting the finishing touches on the weapon. He took the safety off and cocked the gun. He lifted it up and started to move it up and down, pointing at her forehead and heart. "I wonder where you would like to be shot. After all, I want this to be over quickly and painlessly. Oh, for you as well."

She gulped and held up her hands. "Before you do anything, I just want to know one thing. Why am I your next target? I'm not rich, I'm not beautiful, I don't have any influence in the business or political world; why me?"

The blonde man looked her in the eye, sending shivers down her spine. "Yong Bora, a third-year student in Seoul University's nursing program. Your parents gifted you a small apartment when you were accepted into the prestigious university and have been helping you pay the rent the entire time. You occasionally work part time in a convenience store nearby to scrape up some extra cash and is seen constantly studying in the library or at home. So yes, you raise a valid point of how you don't fit the criteria of any of our past victims. However, we don't care about status or power when choosing our next target. We choose those who have wronged us in any way."

"B-But I haven't done anything," Bora said, voice getting smaller and smaller with every word.

There was suddenly a dangerous glint in the man's eyes and he smirked. "Oh but your dear brother Dongho has."

The mention of her past brother made her heart pound so loud she could hear it.

"What do you mean my brother has? He's been gone for almost ten years. How could he have been involved with The White Lily?" She asked in disbelief.

A chuckle escaped the blonde man's lips and he shook his head. "Oh dear, you really don't know anything. Your beloved brother was once a part of us; more specifically, he was a drug smuggler for us. He was making a ton of money with us and was soon blinded by greed. One day, he stole nearly half of our inventory and ran off to start his own little business just so that he could keep 100% of the profits. He even had the guts to act as if he never knew who we were when we ran into him during one of his dealings. We couldn't just stand by and decided to have a little fun while trying to get him to fold his little business. And then one day, he hung himself because he couldn't handle things anymore. Since we couldn't have our way with him, we thought it would be just as satisfying if we killed you like we were supposed to with him."

Bora soaked in the information and soon her mind went blank. There was just too much to process. Her brother, who was the kindest, sweetest, and most caring person, was involved in the illegal distribution of drugs with The White Lily. It just didn't make sense at all.

The blonde leaned closer and sneered, "Now do you understand why you are our next target? Or better yet, should we go after your parents as well? Wipe out your entire family for you foolish brother's actions? Is that what you want?"

The girl was trembling, fear and anger coursing through her body. On one hand, she feared for her life but on the other, she was bubbling with rage knowing that her brother was the reason she was in this mess. 

"What? Cat got your tongue?" The blonde man teased with a smirk. "It actually makes things easier for me so I guess it's time to say goodbye." He lifted the gun and aimed it towards the left side of her chest, right where her heart was. Before he could pull the trigger, Bora dropped down to her knees. The men looked at her curiously, wondering what she was trying to do.

With her head bowed and hair draping her face, she let out a faint whisper, "Please."

"What did you say?"

She looked up at the man, hot tears burning her eyes and threatening to fall. "Please spare my life. I have done nothing wrong. It was all my brother's fault and I sincerely apologize for what he did," she said, voice trembling with every word.

The blonde stared at her for a moment and then breathlessly laughed. "Did you think I was going to accept your apology? Your brother stole millions of dollars worth of drugs and doubled it in profits when he worked alone. He took the easy way out and it took all the fun out of our plan so looks like you'll have to die instead."

"Please! I will do anything to make up for what he did! Just please, don't kill me. My parents have suffered enough when he died and I'm all they have left. Please, I will do anything to stay alive. I'll pay off what he stole from you if that's what you want," Bora begged hysterically, her tears messily running down her face.

The man barked out a laugh that echoed through the alleyway. "Pay for it? That's rich! You would be working until the day you die if you tried to pay off his debt. Why don't you just quietly accept your death and let us move on with it? Seriously, you'd be doing us all a favor."

Despite his discouraging remarks, Bora continued to bargain for her life. "I know," she said, voice trembling, "I know you prefer me dead so that your grudge against my brother will finally be over. But will you really be satisfied with my death or would you rather earn back the money that he stole from you? If you let me live, I swear I'll pay back the money. I'll sign a contract, a blood oath or whatever you're into. Hell, I'll even work for you if you. So please, let me live."

There was a pregnant pause as if the blonde was actually considering her proposal. A shorter brunet to his right nudged his side and whispered something under his breath that caused the taller's eyebrow to quirk. He stared at Bora, the girl still kneeling on the rough gravel, hands clasped together and tears silently rolling down her cheeks, and he let out a breath.

He lifted the gun once more and she sharply inhaled, tears escaping as she squeezed her eyes shut. She was expecting to hear a click and to drift into eternal slumber but instead, she heard a gruff, "Get up."

Bora's eyes opened and she looked up with wide eyes. "What?" She sniffled.

The blonde had a deep scowl on his face and he held up the gun once again. "Get up before I actually kill you this time."

She quickly scrambled up and stood up straight before the man. All of a sudden, he started to circle her, looking her up and down as he tapped his chin pensively with the black gun. The girl gulped, afraid that if she moved even an inch that he would shoot her right then and there. She kept her head down the entire time, watching his feet appear and reappear from her sight. They came to a halt soon after and she hesitantly looked up. When she looked into the man's eyes, she felt a chill overcome her. She had never seen anyone's eyes look as dark and lifeless as his.

"Looks like it's your lucky day," the man said out of nowhere as he handed the pistol back to the man who handed it to him.

Bora looked at him in shock. "What?"

The man lowered himself to her height, eyes boring into hers and noses just a few inches apart. "You only get once chance to prove yourself. You fail, you die. You succeed, you live and you get to work with us to pay back what your brother stole from us," he explained slowly in his baritone voice.

Bora swallowed thickly and she nodded. A corner of the man's lips twitched up into a smirk and he patted her head as if she was a dog. "Good girl. Oh, and if you tell anyone about what happened tonight, I will personally end your life. Got it?"

She nodded once more and the smirk fell from the man's face. He straightened up and spun on his heels, heading back towards the van with the other men trailing after him.

The forgotten man behind her, Kai, purposely bumped into her as he made his way to the vehicle. She stumbled forward and she looked up at him as if she was a deer caught in headlights. His mask was tugged down and his earpiece dangled limply on his shoulder. His eyes were cold and hard and he glowered at her. "You got lucky this time but next time, I won't hesitate to kill you," he whispered. His whisper, which was almost inaudible, made the hair on her arms stand. She took in a shaky breath and looked away. He smirked before joining the other men in the van. 

Right before he closed the door, the blonde man poked his head out and gave her a mysterious grin. "Happy birthday, Yong Bora. Hope it's one you'll never forget. We'll be in touch so until then."

The door closed with a slam and the van soon disappeared. Bora's knees gave out and she collapsed on the gravel once again. A sob racked her frame and she wrapped her arms around herself as she quietly cried to herself.

 

 

The drive back to The White Lily residence was quiet and uneventful. There was an awkward atmosphere in the vehicle, the men all occasionally sneaking a peek at the blonde. They had so many questions but they refrained from asking until they were away from public eye. After a long ride, the sleek van pulled up to a rustic looking house that could easily pass for a villa in the woods. One by one, the men got out and headed into the house, kicking their shoes off into a messy pile and struggling to find their slippers.

Once they were all settled in the living room, the blonde let out a breath. "I see the look on your faces so spit it out already," he said wearily.

"What the just happened?" A tall man with a mop of messy brown hair blurted. "Like seriously, I'm so confused. Why did Kris hyung let her live? What the hell did Suho hyung tell him?"

The blonde, Kris, sighed and he pinched the bridge of his nose as he gestured to the shorter man next to him. "I don't feel like explaining it so you do it, Suho."

Suho frowned but nonetheless explained the situation to the man. "Well, I'm sure you're all just as confused about this as Chanyeol is," he started as he looked around at the faces in the room, "but it's simple. You see, the original plan was to kill her but when she offered to work for us, our next target popped into my head."

He was met with even more confused expressions and he took in a breath. "Look, as much as it amuses me to make you guys dress up as women to lure in our targets, I think it'll be even more effective with an actual female. Don't get me wrong, I love forcing Luhan hyung to dress as a woman because it's great blackmail material but let's face it, he's not a woman. I think we actually need a girl working for us to make our lives a little easier."

"But what does she have to do with Shin Jongwon?" A man with slightly puffy cheeks and eyebrows scrunched together asked.

A smirk appeared on Kris' face and he looked at the man. "It's simple, Xiumin. She's going to be our bait."


Wow so like it's been over a year since I last update and tbh I was working on this chapter for a while before I just kinda stopped because I was busy with school and because I had no motivation to write. It's funny because I haven't really thought about my fics in a while except for the drabbles I occasionally write so I don't lose any ideas but suddenly, I just felt like I had to finish this chapter because I knew exactly what I wanted to write. It's still kinda crappy in my opinion but it gives a bit more insight as to how the story is going to play out.

It's pretty clear that I've made Kris into a different character compared to the original story. He's more sarcastic and snarky, which I personally love because it gives him more of a personality, and Kai is pretty rude too but obviously, things are bound to change. And before anyone goes, "But Kris, Luhan, and Tao aren't in EXO anymore," I don't care because they were a part of the original story so they're going to be in the edited version as well.

This update doesn't mean that I'm completely back since I have finals coming up (like I should be studying instead of doing this but whatever). The pharmacy program is pretty intense and it's gonna get even more intense as the years continue on but I'll try to update when I have time or ideas on what I want to write. So, hope you enjoyed this and thank you to those who waited patiently for a chapter even though I'm pretty sure you forgot about this a long time ago lol