fin.

if you let me, here’s what i’ll do (i’ll take care of you)

A broken heart, a broken jaw and a broken wrist is all Yoongi has as a reminder. 

 

He wishes he could turn back time, just late enough to warn himself not to approach Seokjin when she’s accompanied by a drunk Namjoon. Just late enough to warm himself to back away when she’s with her boyfriend. Just late enough to warn himself, ‘Don’t fall for Seokjin.’ 

 

At the same time, he wishes to turn back time, just late enough to meet Seokjin first, earlier than Namjoon. Just late enough to have Seokjin fall for him, earlier than Namjoon. Just late enough to give all of him to Seokjin, earlier than Namjoon.

 

Yoongi knows he can. He just chooses not to.

 

Yoongi doesn’t want to intrude on his best friends’ relationship, like he did before. He doesn’t want to make them despise him, all because he couldn’t keep his hands away from the tempting candy. He doesn’t want to ruin their happily ever after, just because he couldn’t have his with Seokjin.

 

But then there’s Jimin, always waiting for him. Always tending to his needs, his wants, his wounds. He sees the looks she gives him when she thinks he doesn’t know; loving, brimmed with sadness, and broken.

 

 

* * *

 

Yoongi thinks back to a time when Jimin wasn’t there. He struggles to find it. Even in his thoughts, she manages to crawl in. Her ubiquitous presence confuses Yoongi.

 

He looks at her as she nurses Yoongi’s wounds, all but the broken heart. She’s trying to heal that too, Yoongi can tell but it isn’t a quick fix that he’s after. She looks so fragile; she looks more depressed than Yoongi. 

 

Those deep frowns should never belong on Jimin’s face. Never. She looks her best when she’s smiling, carefree and bubbly. 

 

He knows what he needs to do in order to see her like that again.

 

But he’s not yet ready for it.

 

* * *

 

Yoongi awakes to a high-pitched wail in the middle of the night; it scares him how casual and comfortable he is when he automatically turns his attention out the door, sitting up. He sees Jimin, with her jet black hair, flowing down to the top of her hips, padding her feet quietly, as to not wake Yoongi, to the door. She turns around and he’s met with the most mature and beautiful face he’s ever seen.

 

“It’s alright, Yoongi. Go back to sleep. I’ll take care of her tonight.” She says, finger skirting over the wall before she leaves, walking with grace. 

 

Yoongi cannot bring himself to go to sleep. He figures he’s years in the future, but not if it’s an alternate universe or his present world, if he’s settled down with a small family. He reminds himself to ask Jimin what year it is when they wake up. 

 

As much as he is surprised, he doesn’t find it strange nor peculiar. Jimin looks the happiest he’s seen her in a long while so at least this Yoongi takes good care of her; she deserves the best, only the best. He doesn’t realise the crying had stopped and Jimin had returned until she places her hand on his shoulder.

 

“What are you thinking about?” She speaks, just soft and quiet enough for the two of them. Her gentle voice hadn’t changed, either.

 

“Everything. Us. Our lives.” Yoongi says, in the same gentle manner. “What year is it now, Jiminnie?”

 

“It’s 2021. Our anniversary’s coming up in a few weeks.” Jimin looks at him in the most loving manner and smiles. “Did you just time-travel?”

 

“Yeah.” Yoongi guesses Jimin is used to this. 

 

“I’m guessing you have no idea about us? Our baby?” Jimin asks and Yoongi nods. “Alright, I’ll tell you but promise me something. Promise me that you’ll never, ever, change the events that happened. I know you’ve always wanted the best for me but you don’t know how great you make me feel. So please, don’t ruin our future by making a rash decision.”

 

She takes a deep breath as she leans her head on his shoulder and begins talking.

 

 

* * *

 

Yoongi is scared for his sanity.

 

Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays - they all merge into one and Yoongi is scared. Truly and utterly scared. 

 

He doesn’t know what time it is, he doesn’t know what day it is, he doesn’t know what year it is. All he knows is that both him and Jimin are both on the worn-out couch, in their apartment, with Jimin still sleeping on his lap. She shuffles a bit but once settled down, she sighs. 

 

Yoongi looks at the clock hanging above the television still and playing, in front of him, on the pale beige wall. He’s glad the TV’s on as the dark night wouldn’t allow him to decipher the time, otherwise. It’s currently three thirty - no, three forty. He reaches for the remote resting on his left and presses the power button. The colours on the screen fade away as Yoongi follows the flow of Jimin’s silky, red hair, his fingers trailing. 

 

His memories of a future with Jimin presented him with options he had to choose, ones that would result in their happily-ever-after. Looking at Jimin’s and his clothes in the dark blue light, filtered in through the windows,  they must have been out on a date. So technically, it should have been either a few days or a few weeks since the incident with Seokjin and Namjoon occurred. 

 

He leans back against the couch, cursing. He’s infuriated that he doesn’t have any control over his ability to time-travel. It comes and goes, depending entirely on Yoongi’s feelings. If he wishes or if he was feeling depressed, it was instant, he would find himself either in the past or the future, with an abundance of choices. Fix up the past so that he wouldn’t make a certain mistake which could lead to many different problems in Yoongi’s current age and his future, or live a while in the future to see what eventually happens and what he needs to do to get there. 

 

One thing has never changed. No matter if it is the past, present or future, Jimin is always there. Jimin is always at Yoongi’s side, telling him what and what not to do. She has seen the best and worst of Yoongi yet she never judges. She never fails to please him. She never fails to make him forget the bad incidents and be proud of where he is today.

 

And as he looks down at Jimin with the smallest smile on his face, he realises he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but with her. 

 

* * *

 

“Hey.” Jimin pokes Yoongi’s pale cheek as he rests on her lap. 

 

He gains enough consciousness to feel the stabbing pain running up and down his body. Where is he? What day is it? What year is it? They are all appropriate questions and viewing Yoongi’s confused expression, Jimin explains. 

 

“Yoongi, it’s the current day in our universe. If that doesn’t make sense, it’s been exactly a day and a half since Namjoon hurt you. Look around. You’re home, Yoongi.” 

 

And look around, Yoongi does. A sheer sense of glee finds him as he sits up and embraces Jimin in a warm hug. “I’m sorry for bothering you and taking your time, Jiminnie. Thank you for looking after me.” 

 

Jimin wraps her arms around Yoongi’s relaxed back and entwines her fingers together, creating a strong grip. “No, don’t be sorry. I don’t mind the least helping you. In fact, it’s the least I could do for you.”

 

“Jimin. Look at me.” Yoongi says, relaxing his arms as he places them on Jimin’s shoulders, their eyes connected. “I know what you feel about me. I know. I’ve been to the future enough times to know what’s waiting for you and me. For us. And all I want to do is bring you with me to see it together but sadly, I can’t.” 

 

He sees her hopeful yet scared eyes, ones that were anticipating Yoongi’s next words. He continues, “I know I’m not the best person to fall in love with. Hell, I was so cooped up in the illusion that Seokjin would be with me that I didn’t realise the gem, who had been waiting long enough for me. The pearl that was patient, caring, understanding. I don’t understand why you would still love me.”

 

Jimin lets out a small whimper as her tears fall hard and fast, she did not know what Yoongi was getting to.

 

“I’m sorry I put you in second-place when you deserve the best and more. Forgive me, Jiminnie.” He pauses, catching his breath and wiping away the sole tear coming out of his right eye. He needs to stay strong for Jimin. “I want to be a part of your future; I want to make the future I saw and lived a reality for the both of us. Will you let me?”

 

He moves his arms back around Jimin and leans his head on her shoulder as she whispers. “Yes. Yes. A hundred times yes. Yoongi, you don’t need to be sorry. You’ve done so much for me and I,” Jimin hiccups, “don’t deserve this. I feel as though I’m being too greedy. Is that right?”

 

“No, it isn’t. You can never be too greedy when it comes to me. I’ll do my best to fulfil each and every single one of my Jiminnie’s wishes. Thank you for waiting for me.” 

 

“I’ll wait for you for a thousand more years if it means I can be with you.” 

 

Their breathing shallows out as they both relax and stay in each other’s arms for a while. 

 

Yoongi cannot believe what had happened but he makes sure to vow to himself that he would make Jimin the happiest girl in the world as she deserves nothing less.

 

* * *

 

A healed heart, a loving wife and a wonderful day is what Yoongi has as he looks to his beautiful bride on his right. 

 

He’s glad he never turned back time, just late enough to warn himself not to approach Seokjin when she’s accompanied by a drunk Namjoon. Just late enough to warm himself to back away when she’s with her boyfriend. Just late enough to warn himself, ‘Don’t fall for Seokjin.’ 

 

He’s glad he noticed Jimin’s feelings, just in time. He’s glad he told her about his feelings, just in time. He’s glad they decided to spend the rest of their lifetime together, just in time. 

 

Yoongi knows he could have chosen a different path for himself. He just chooses not to.

 

He doesn’t want to ruin the happiness lying ahead for them. He doesn’t want to ruin the happy family he will have waiting for him in the future. He doesn’t want to break Jimin’s promise and vows to him, both in the past, present and future. 

 

(“I may not be your first love, first kiss, first sight or first date. I just want to be your last everything.”)