Chapter 1

Ace of Spades

“Ughhh why does everyone fall in love with the wrong person. It is so pointless and causes inevitable heartbreak. Why is everyone so masochistic?” Jongin asks one day, his foot leisurely propped on Chanyeol’s lap as the two watch yet another k-drama involving a love triangle and a horribly predictable plotline.

“Well I think something more dangerous than love is hope. People hope for something better and they think that falling in love will help” Chanyeol replies as he crunches on the popcorn, his words carrying a note of seriousness that Jongin would not normally ever associate with the elder.

Jongin raises an eyebrow at Chanyeol but before he can sarcastically comment on Chanyeol’s in-depth insight on the human psyche, Chanyeol quickly grins and states, “Why the sudden hatred towards love? If it’s because you think the main girl is unworthy, you’re right. She definitely doesn’t deserve Lee Jong Suk”

“You don’t think anyone deserves Lee Jong suk” Jongin snorts and sits up to reach for some popcorn.

“Because I am not afraid to admit that he’s too beautiful for everyone. Anyways, did something happen?” Chanyeol asks, tearing his eyes from the screen.

“Ma is asking me why I’m not dating anyone” Jongin mutters, twisting the hem of Chanyeol’s shirt, a nervous habit

“Well did you tell her it’s because you’re a wuss?” Chanyeol says as he turns his head back to the tv, gently taking Jongin’s hand to stop him from stretching the shirt. Jongin immediately interlaces their fingers and lays his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Shut up. I told her there is no point in dating since soul mates exist,” Jongin says with a pout. Chanyeol scoffs and lets go of Jongin’s hand in favor of setting the finished bowl of popcorn on the table.

“And she believed you? Jongin, only 2% of the world population has the ability to see their red string and an even smaller percentage actually meet their soul mate. What makes you think you are the chosen one?” Chanyeol asks without turning away from the tv.

“The lightening scar on my forehead” Jongin deadpans

“Did you just make a Harry Potter reference?” Chanyeol asks incredulously as if Jongin had personally offended him. “You don’t have the privilege to make those references, asswipe. You didn’t even read the books.”

“I watched all the movies though” Jongin retorts. The multiple times goes unsaid because he always watched with Chanyeol.

“Doesn’t count. If you were a bit more cultured, you would realize reading the books make you a true fan. ” Chanyeol replies without delay.

“Who died and made you the judge of cultural integrity,” Jongin mutters as he slouches to make himself more comfortable against Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Self-anointment.  Anyways, I really think you should stop waiting for your soul mate.  I mean, if I had known your laziness carried to the extent of allowing silly string to decide your future, I would have staged an intervention ages ago” Chanyeol says while twisting his body to see Jongin.

“It’s not silly string.” Jongin mumbles, face flushing at the proximity of Chanyeol’s concerned face.

“Jongin--”

“Look, I just think it’s stupid to date someone if there is a possibility that I might see my red string. Furthermore, what’s the point of being with someone if they’re not your soulmate? The universe is definitely not rooting for you two.” Jongin interrupts, his voice seeming suddenly too loud in the tiny apartment. Jongin peeks through his bangs to look at Chanyeol when the elder doesn’t reply immediately.

“Ok” Chanyeol finally says with an unreadable expression on his face.

“Ok?” Jongin asks, unsure if Chanyeol was judging him.

“Yeah, you do you.” Chanyeol says easily with no hint of scorn and ruffles Jongin’s hair. Jongin leans into the touch and starts to say something more but Chanyeol screeches, “Oh hell no!!! did she just kiss Lee Jong Suk??!! I mean he could do so much better but I waited 12 ing episodes for that kiss.”

Jongin sighs but a smile tugs on his lips as he places his head on Chanyeol’s lap and prepares for a well-needed nap. Chanyeol cards through Jongin's hair absentmindedly, eventually lulling him to sleep.

“What if I told you we were soulmates. What would you say then?” Chanyeol whispers when he hears the soft snores emanating from the younger, looking at the red string that attaches his pinky to Jongin’s. 


A/N: Heyyyyyy guys. For some reason, I was inspired to write and this came out. Lol I am chankai trash and will probably always be. I may or may not continue this (lol it all depends if inspriration strikes again). Hope you guys enjoy ^^