Believe

Bonds and Trust

Hongbin stared at the cell he was currently in. The walls a dying grey, brown stains marring the concrete floor. Jagged stones jutting out from the walls creating an illusion of the cell closing in on you. Perfect pre torture material. After spending a few days in the almost crypt like cell you’d practically be begging for death. The slits at the top end of the wall did nothing but let musty air through, no sunlight.

He hadn’t had proper food in days. Throat parched dry, not even enough saliva to moisten his lips. Resting against the walls of the cell was impossible, unless he wanted to lose his kidneys to the sharp, knifelike rocks.

Uncomfortable wasn’t even the right word for what Hongbin was feeling. He just wanted to get out. The air around him was slowly strangling him, the thirst unbearable. Even if his hands and feet were unshackled and the cell’s doors were left open, Hongbin wouldn’t be able to move a strand of hair muchless his body.

He was as mentally exhausted as he was physically so when the doors were opened and food was pushed in Hongbin barely had time to recollect himself. “Wow you look a mess” the person who brought the food said. How long had it been since Hongbin had heard a human voice…any voice. He welcomed the sound. Savouring it.

Hongbin’s eyes devoured the food but he was too famished to eat. He heard the owner of the voice sigh and then someone was raising a spoon of soup to his lips. “I’m not supposed to be doing this so hurry up.” Hongbin robotically opened his mouth and when the hot liquid cascaded down his throat he gasped for air. The one feeding him, a boy, fed him some water while patting his back. He then wordlessly fed Hongbin again. When the food was done the boy left the cell and smiled a bit when he saw the once parched lips of the prisoner moistened and slightly pink.

Later in the night or day (Hongbin didn’t know) unknown strength coursed through his body and when the boy came again he could properly see who he was. The boy was beautiful. He had blood red lips and gentle eyes. “Here, I snuck you a bread roll from the kitchens.”

“Why are you helping me?” Hongbin asked, his voice raspy and weak. The boy smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

“Everyone needs a friend.”

Hongbin grabbed the bread roll from him and then said “you don’t even know what I’m in here for.” The boy left and Hongbin immediately felt sick to his stomach. He had chased away the one person that may have cared.

The boy didn’t come back after what Hongbin counted to be five days. However he was receiving food regularly as though the mad king finally remembered he had imprisoned a young boy. The people bringing the food gave him wary looks. They seemed almost scared of him and Hongbin had no idea why.

“You came!” he exclaimed loudly when the boy came. “I thought…” Hongbin stopped when he saw the boy’s face. It was covered in bruises and he was limping. “What happened to you?”

“I’m here. I was…busy. What happened is none of your concern. Now, I see you’ve been eating, you look better. Healthier.”

Just like before the boy entered the cell and just sat there. Hongbin didn’t need him to feed him. “You’re staying?”

“Hmm yeah just for a while. But tell me, why are you here?”

Hongbin looked down. He bit his lip. Hongbin didn’t feel like talking about it. He wasn’t sure but he did have a faint idea as to why the king suddenly had his home raided, why his mother started screaming but he didn’t know if his sisters were alive. He didn’t know if anyone took care of his ailing father who was sleeping upstairs at the time. Hongbin choked at the thought. “I’m not sure.” The boy looked at him almost pitifully.

“I thought you’d say that. Ok well I have to go but I’ll try to come back because like I said, everyone needs a friend.”

“You’re silly. What’s your name?”

“Well I guess since I know yours it’s only fair you know mine right. I’m Sanghyuk.” Sanghyuk quickly exited the cell leaving Hongbin to eat his food alone. All the while after Hongbin had a small smile gracing his features.

Sanghyuk came by daily after that. The two shared many secrets. Hongbin learned that Sanghyuk was a kitchen boy, his mother was decapitated by the Queen who accused her of stealing, his sister was sold to a merchant for money by his father and his brother ran away. Hongbin in turn told Sanghyuk about the night he was taken and about the confusion he felt at being treated this way. “We were just normal civilians, before my father’s accident he was a simple stone mason. I just don’t understand.”

Sanghyuk stared at his newfound friend. Later when he had left Hongbin’s cell he snuck into the steward chambers. There was a Byun Baekhyun who was the king’s fool. If anyone knew anything it was Baekhyun. He soaked up gossip like a sponge and was willing to speak…but at a price. Always at a price.

“Sanghyuk m’man!”

“Hey Jongin, do you know where Baekhyun is?”

“He’s probably doing the dirty with Chanyeol” Jongin said, wrinkling his nose. “Last I saw, he was heading up the west tower. You know, the abandoned one.”

“Thank Jongin I owe you!” Sanghyuk called. He was already running towards the direction Jongin said.

“Pay me back in gold!”

Panting hard, Sanghyuk looked up at the tower. Legend had it that the princess that stayed here died and sealed her soul in the Wisteria tree growing beside her window. The tree surely did look haunted but Sanghyuk needed to find Baekhyun. As he ascended the stairs he wished he brought a light.

“Baekhyun!” he whispered loudly. Sanghyuk heard footsteps and he quickened his pace. “Baekhyun!” he yelled when he opened a door. “Oh! Nasty guys!” Sanghyuk screeched in embarrassment. He had walked in on Baekhyun and Chanyeol and it was horrible.

“Sanghyuk, gosh what do you want?” Baekhyun said five minutes later, coming out fully dressed.

“First of all, eww, and second of all I need to know something.”

“Yeah?”

“The young prisoner. Hongbin. What did he do? Why is he here?”

“Lee Hongbin? Oh apparently his family is notorious for black magic. The knights said that they do sacrifices and blood rituals on full moons. You heard those rumours of children going missing right? They found the bodies the other night, drained of blood and the creepiest part is that each child had looks of horror etched upon their faces. Even after death, the faces still look the same.”

Sanghyuk was shivering. Black magic was banned from the kingdom centuries ago. “But what proof does the kingdom have against his family?”

“Now now Sanghyuk I told you all that for free but your next question is going to cost you!” Baekhyun said with a sinister glint in his eyes. Sanghyuk gulped.

“W..what is it that you desire from me? Gold? I can try to get for you.”

“No no I want something else from you. Something I’ve been wanting from you since I first saw you. I want a vial of your blood.”

Sanghyuk backed away. “Blood? That’s forbidden, you’re not allowed to ask for blood from someone. It leads to black magic Baekhyun.”

“Oh come on Hyukkie pie I just want a vial.”

“No. Ask for something else. There are rumours about you Byun Baekhyun, the king’s royal Fool. They say you do voodoo and that you shouldn’t be trusted.” Baekhyun smiled.

“Hmmm ok since you’re a believer of the lies I’ll simply ask for a lock of hair.” Sanghyuk thought for a moment. It was said that blood is the crucial component needed for Voodoo but locks of hair can do the trick as well albeit not as efficient as blood but a rewarding alternative.

“No!” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and bared his teeth. All mischief and warmth left his eyes.

“No? How badly do you need this information?”

“I don’t need it that badly so as to be willing to give you a lock of my hair or a vial of my blood. Goodnight Baekhyun. I hope to never seek your presence again. Sanghyuk ran with all his might and locked himself in the kitchen servant’s chambers. Hongbin was either a very good liar or he was innocent and his family had been wrongly accused.

When Sanghyuk visited Hongbin the next day he could only look at him. Every time he opened his mouth to say something he closed it. “Ok. You’ve been looking at me and not saying anything though I can tell you want to say something Sanghyuk. So tell me.”

Sanghyuk sighed. “Hongbin do you believe in black magic?” he searched Hongbin’s face for any telltale signs that he knew what he was getting at.

“I believe it existed once but in this day and age it can’t be. Why do you ask?” Hongbin replied. Sanghyuk wanted to hit him. Hongbin was lying.

“Liar” he whispered in a low voice. Hongbin heard nonetheless.

“Excuse me?”

“You’re lying. I can tell. I heard some very exciting news about you Lee Hongbin.” Hongbin’s eyes narrowed and his heart felt heavier in his chest.

“Those rumours aren’t true. You can’t believe them.”

“So you did know about them? You’re such a liar. I thought you were innocent” Sanghyuk accused.

“I am. Believe me. Those rumours are false. My family and I would never. Never! I swear. Sanghyuk you need to believe me. I’m sorry I lied and told you I didn’t know why I was here but you need to believe me. I know they’re going to burn me and I don’t want to die. I don’t…. Sanghyuk please. Just believe me.” Hongbin begged with tears in his eyes. He seemed so broken.

“How can I believe you Hongbin. You haven’t proven to me that you’re innocent.”

“Then have I proven that I am not? Did you see me performing the dark arts? Tell me Sanghyuk why do you believe I’m evil?” Sanghyuk didn’t know how to answer. “You only believe that because I’m the one locked in a cell. Do you think that if I had an ounce of evil magic in me I’d still be here? Almost dead?” Hongbin raised his voice and Sanghyuk flinched. “I’m sorry Sanghyuk. I’m only scaring you aren’t I?”

Sanghyuk ignored his apology, “well then tell me, Lee Hongbin, why is it that the king accused your family of black magic? What proof did he find? Surely you must know that.” Hongbin’s eyes went downcast and he began fidgeting. He looked up at Sanghyuk then looked back down as though contemplating. “You’re just going to lie again aren’t you? I should’ve known. Liars can’t be trusted.” Sanghyuk got up and started to walk away.

“Sanghyuk. Do you believe everything has a balance?”

“What?”

“Hear me out. Everything has a balance. Where there is good then inevitably there is also evil right? Now similarly if there is black magic don’t you think there would be white magic? Good magic?” Hongbin spoke, his eyes pleading for Sanghyuk to listen to him.

“There is no such thing!”

“Why not? Just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Remember when everyone thought the dragon race was a myth? Now look at those cities that have been melted away by dragon fire. Look at the race that roams the skies. Tell me Sanghyuk do you really think that the lore books in the library speak of everything?”

“Ok let’s say I understand where you’re coming from, you mean to tell me your family is involved in white magic?”

“I…we’re not strong. The magic in our blood…it’s faint. Like fading sunlight after twilight. I suppose we were strong once, you know, our ancestors maybe but my family and I, we…well you’d think we had no magic in our blood at all.” Sanghyuk raised his eyebrows, silently demanding more. “Well there’s a book. It’s passed down generation after generation to the first born females in our family. It traveled through my great grandmother, then my grandmother, then my mother and it was supposed to go to my sister. I don’t really understand why it goes to the females but after my grandmother, the spells stopped working. My mother couldn’t perform simple house cleaning spells. White magic is purely nature based you know. While black magic thrives off of the shadows and the dead and the underworld, white magic is more used for healing and growing. Anyway, like I said Mother couldn’t do any spells and when my sisters tried, they barely made a mop fall down, when I tried to make the garden flourish nothing happened. It’s like the magic in our blood got thinner and thinner in every generation.” Hongbin sighed and got quiet. “Sanghyuk, are you angry with me?”

“N…no. I’m just…wow. This is a lot to take in and I’m still not sure if I believe you. I mean you sound like you’re telling the truth, really you do, but I think it’s just natural for me to doubt you and wait…did the king’s guards find the book? How did they even know to seek out your family? Was this common knowledge?”

“No actually. It wasn’t. I don’t know how they knew to search our house because we never pranced through the streets exclaiming what we were and about the book…no I don’t think they found it and even if they did find it I don’t think they’d have known what it was.”

“White magic or black magic Hongbin, I’m pretty sure a child would be able to tell a spell book apart from a regular one.”

“No, my great grandmother’s aunt had put a spell on the book and only a person from our bloodline would be able to read it.”

“Magic is quite efficient isn’t it?”

The two boys got very silent. The air around them shifted and Sanghyuk cleared his throat. “Hongbin, your execution is…”

“Scheduled for next week I know” Hongbin interrupted with a heavy sigh. “Sanghyuk I don’t want to die. I did nothing wrong. I want to be able to see the rolling hills again. I want to sleep under the moon and I want to wake up to the hot sun blazing down on my face. Sanghyuk I...” he couldn’t go on, voice thick with emotion.

Sanghyuk didn’t know what to say or do so he just sat there on the ground. The cell’s bars separating him and Hongbin. He began humming a tune and Hongbin fell asleep on the floor listening to him.

It was the thumping of hooves that woke Hongbin up. It sounded as though they were right above his cell which was ridiculous because his cell was so deep underground, it was as though he was he buried. The thumping didn’t stop and when the guards began to panic only then did Hongbin realise something big was happening. “Hey!” he called to a guard, “what’s going on? Excuse me!” The guards paid him or the other prisoners no attention. Hongbin was getting angry. He recognized the excitement that the guards were feeling. It wasn’t that of elation, but rather one of fear.

A big burly guard slumped against his cell’s bars and sighed. “We’re going to die. There’s no escape.”

“Sir, what’s going on?” he asked. The guard regarded him with semi lidded eyes and Hongbin felt his own eyes water at the stench the guard gave off. He reeked of ale and stale cheese and his beard was crusty dry with blood, probably from a bar fight.

“It’s best you don’t know what’s going on up there laddie. We’re all gonna die.”

“What? No! Tell me what’s happening please.” The guard got up and left Hongbin begging, his imagination was running wild and then all of a sudden his thoughts flashed to Sanghyuk. “I hope Sanghyuk gets somewhere safe with whatever is happening” he grimly thought to himself. Hongbin paced in his small cell, his heart was beating so fast, it felt as though he had just run ten leagues. “Maybe there’s a new King coming to visit, from the Dry lands and that’s why everyone is scared, or maybe the giants revolted…hmm I actually don’t mind if it’s the giants. They’re quite friendly to people with white magic…or no maybe there’s an attack from the East....” Hongbin’s thoughts were cut as he heard the horrific screech and suddenly everything clicked into place. Someone ran to his cell, panting and staring at Hongbin wide eyed and at the same time Hongbin and Sanghyuk whispered.

“Dragons!”

“Sanghyuk what are you doing here if it’s dragons you need to run!”

“Shut up I came back for you. Hold on I’ve got the keys.” He fumbled and cursed. When the lock to the cell’s door was opened Hongbin ran out and placed his hands on Sanghyuk’s cheeks. He stared into his eyes and whispered “idiot!”

“Yeah I know, come on! We’ve got to hurry. Three dragons came.” Sanghyuk filled Hongbin in as they ran up the steps that seemed to never end.

“Three? What the…why?”

“Does anyone ever know why they attack? Come on I know a path into the mountains. We can hide in them but we’ve to go outside first.” Hongbin pulled Sanghyuk to a halt and held in place by his shoulders.

“Sanghyuk will we even live to make it to the mountain? We’ll have to cross the market and the cobbler’s and…”

“Ssshhh Hongbin listen to me, I know what I’m doing. We won’t go outside as in the village square, we’re going to go into the courtyard and to the abandoned tower. You know the Wisteria Tree? We’ll climb it and then there’s a ledge of some sort on the rocks above and we’ll jump onto it. Trust me but come on we don’t have time to spare.” They resumed and Hongbin kept glancing at Sanghyuk. He seemed to know what he was doing and Hongbin felt better but then his heart dropped to his stomach. His family! He stared at Sanghyuk and said nothing as tears streamed down his eyes. Stinging and blinding him.

They finally made it to the outside and Hongbin welcomed the bright light but not for long. Sanghyuk was urging him forward when they both came to an abrupt stop. Overhead, two flying beasts were circling, smoke billowing out of their nostrils. Hongbin gasped, “Sanghyuk they’re not just dragons, wraiths are riding them.”

Hongbin’s blood went cold. Wraiths were probably the most evil things ever created. They were said to have disappeared with the dragon race long ago. The riders and their pets. Sanghyuk’s eyes widened as a funnel of fire descended onto the village and he grabbed Hongbin’s hand and ran. The Wisteria tree was a few meters ahead and Hongbin and Sanghyuk felt a bit of relief. Sanghyuk turned to smile at Hongbin when out of nowhere Baekhyun appeared. He had a mad look in his eyes and a horrid smile etched onto his face. “Little Hyukkie where do you think you’re going? And what is this? With our little prisoner too. My oh my Hyukkie bunnie you’ve outdone yourself!”

“Get out Baekhyun! Leave us alone. Find shelter for yourself.” Sanghyuk grabbed Hongbin’s hand again and made way for the tree but Baekhyun was having none of that.

“I want that blood Sanghyuk!”

Sanghyuk groaned. They were wasting time and Baekhyun was being ridiculous. “Look I don’t owe you anything. You told me the first set of information for free, you said so yourself, and I didn’t stick around to hear the rest when you said it’ll cost me so shut up and move you fool!” Baekhyun roared and leaped towards Sanghyuk but Hongbin had had enough. He pushed himself in front of Sanghyuk and delivered a solid punch to the Royal Fool.

“He said to leave him alone” Hongbin hissed and pushed Baekhyun away. Chanyeol came running towards them and picked Baekhyun up. He whispered something in Baekhyun’s ear and they took off. “Come on Sanghyuk we’ve wasted enough time.” Silently Sanghyuk started running again, he grabbed Hongbin’s hand once again, but this time it was to feel the other’s warmth. He squeezed a bit, trying to say thank you and Hongbin smiled.

“Well, there it is. The Wisteria tree. Let’s start climbing.” The tree felt cold, despite the heat from the three dragons that were currently roasting their home village. The two boys climbed and hid whenever they noticed the dragons and their riders. Hongbin couldn’t stop thinking about his poor father. He wanted nothing more than to go back to his house just to make sure he wasn’t there but that would’ve been suicide and Hongbin couldn’t let Sanghyuk down like that. He had newfound respect for the latter. Despite everything that was happening, Sanghyuk was brave. He came back for Hongbin, he led them to the tree, he hadn’t blinked an eye when he saw the wraiths. “Here it is Hongbin. The edge I was telling you about. We’ll have to jump. It’ll lead us to the mountain. On five ok?”

“Ok.”

“Do you trust me?”

“I trust you.”

“1…2…3…4…JUMP!” They jumped and Hongbin lost his footing. Sanghyuk reached out and pulled him in with all his strength. After he had steadied him, they began following the path.

“Sanghyuk, Hongbin gulped, wouldn’t this make it easier for the wraiths to spot? Two boys walking along a narrow strip of rock that winds up to the mountain?”

Sanghyuk’s face hardened “it’s…it’s a risk we have to take. Still trust me?”

“Yeah I still do.”

“Good.” The ledge was so narrow at times that there was no place to put their feet. Sanghyuk almost slipped. They were lucky however, the wraiths and the dragons were leaving the castle for last so the two boys had some time to escape. It felt like they were walking and slipping for hours but then Hongbin spotted a cave.

“Sanghyuk I found it. We don’t have that far more to go.” Both boys felt a sense of relief envelope their bodies. It was short lived however because out of nowhere gigantic claws came and with it, immense heat. “Oh no” Hongbin thought to himself. He felt out of focus—as though everything was happening in slow motion. He wordlessly watched as Sanghyuk was picked up in a claw, his fingers leaving the confines of Hongbin’s hand, his face shocked and scared. Then everything flooded back to Hongbin’s ears. Sound returned, and he heard Sanghyuk screaming as the claw he was held in squeezed him. “NO!” Hongbin screamed and leaped.

He was dimly aware of the voice in his head telling him he was an idiot but the only thing his eyes could see was the pain in Sanghyuk’s face, his red lips slowly turning blue. Hongbin managed to hang onto the feet of the flying monster. What was he thinking? Hongbin had no weapon but that wasn’t going to stop him. “What are you doing you moron?” he heard Sanghyuk rasp.

“I’m not letting you go anywhere without me Sanghyuk. We’re together till the end now ok?”

“That’s sweet and all but..” his words were cut off as a nail from the claw dug itself into his side. The dragon didn’t notice Hongbin hanging onto it. Hongbin flinched at Sanghyuk’s gasp of pain and looked up. The dragon was wraithless. A ridiculous idea was formed in Hongbin’s mind and he was sure he wasn’t going to live to see another sunrise. He started climbing up the dragon’s body. “What are you doing?”

“Sanghyuk…do you trust me?” Sanghyuk stared at Hongbin. He remembered how Hongbin lied about what he was, he remembered how he felt when he found out the truth. Sanghyuk didn’t know why he went back to free Hongbin from his cell but he felt glad he did.

“Yes Hongbin. I do.”

“Good. That makes one of us!”

“Wait what? Hongbin what are you going to do?” Hongbin didn’t respond and continued his journey up the dragon.

“Ok Hongbin. Focus! You can do this. Just create an empathy link. Dragons aren’t evil. They’re nature right? And what are you? A wizard…sort of. White magic is all about nature right. Focus Hongbin focus!” he chided to himself. As he sat on the back of the dragon Hongbin wanted to fall off. It was easy to put on a brave face for Sanghyuk and it was easy to fool himself but when push came to shove Hongbin wanted to vomit. “Empathy link, empathy link. How in the name of the good lord am I supposed to create an empathy link. What even is an empathy link?” Hongbin grasped the reins on the dragon. He reached out with his mind and tried to focus. He blocked out the sound of the wind, the screams of the people, the heat of the dragon and reached within himself. His grandmother had said that to access the magic inside you, you have to tap into a peacefulness within. Hongbin thought it was a load of hogwash but now that he was actually doing it he understood. His concentration was lost the minute the heard Sanghyuk cry out.

“HONGBIN WHATEVER YOU’RE DOING, HURRY IT UP!”

“SANGHYUK WHATEVER HAPPENS DON’T MAKE A SOUND OK!” When Hongbin was sure that Sanghyuk wasn’t going to make a sound he reached into himself again. There was energy. Somewhere within. He could feel it. Raw and pure. It was like swimming in the depths of your mind and finding a door that needed to be unlocked. He mentally tried to open that door but it wouldn’t budge. He pushed harder and harder. Hongbin was vaguely aware of the blood running down his nose. The harder he pushed, the faster the blood ran. Hongbin stopped. This wasn’t getting him anywhere and then he heard his grandmother’s voice in his head.

“Remember Hongbin to unlock the magic you’ve to be calm and everything must balance out or else nothing will open.”

Hongbin tried again but this time he relaxed, he understood that he was in danger and the longer he took, the closer Sanghyuk was to death, he understood that he was in control and that as urgent as the situation was the calmer he needed to be and when Hongbin pushed on the door again it opened.

Energy flowed through Hongbin. His skin was almost glowing. The tips of his hair were white and when he touched the dragon he mentally spoke to it.

Gently.

Calming. He soothed the dragon and asked it to loosen its hold on Sanghyuk. Hongbin’s senses were heightened with his newfound power and he heard Sanghyuk’s gasp of relief and surprise. “Sanghyuk! We’re going to be ok. I promise.”

Hongbin gently spoke to the creature and chided it away from the village. The dragon landed on a patch of grass beside a lake. Sanghyuk was released and he tumbled onto the ground, breathing hard and clutching his sides. He was in pain. Hongbin came down and Sanghyuk could barely open his eyes. He was almost unconscious and the last thing he saw was an angel.

It was evening when Sanghyuk woke up. His body was stiff but there was no pain. He was lying on the grass and he had been bandaged. He looked around and screamed when he saw the dragon sleeping next to the lake. “Hongbin!”

“Hey, I’m here.”

“What happened? What is going on? How am I ok? Oh my god. We’re dead aren’t we?”

“No we’re not. You’re ok. I used my shirt as a bandage. I hope you don’t mind. We’ll have to find a village because it’s getting cold and we need food and…oh are you ok?” Sanghyuk hadn’t noticed that Hongbin was shirtless and now that he did his stomach was flipping. Hongbin was ripped.

“Uhh…yeah ummm..what happened? Before I out I thought I..well…”

“”Yes?”

“Well I thought I saw an angel” Sanghyuk finished looking anywhere but Hongbin. Hongbin laughed and ruffled his hair.

“No…I had this crazy idea to control the dragon. Luckily it was without a wraith so I..well..didn’t know if it would work or not and I tried and oh my god, Sanghyuk I was praying so hard that whatever magic I had in my blood would come through for us and it did. I unlocked it…well for a while. After we landed I healed you and then the dragon said she’ll stay and then…I out and when I woke up the magic was gone.”

“Gone? Is magic like a come and go sort of thing?” Sanghyuk teased and got up. He wrapped his arms around Hongbin and whispered “you’re an idiot but thank you.” Hongbin chuckled and mirrored Sanghyuk’s actions but when he moved his arms, Sanghyuk felt his muscles ripple. “We need to get you a shirt.” Hongbin laughed. “But now that your magic is ‘gone’ or should I say temporarily sleeping?”

“Whatever Sanghyuk it doesn’t matter.  Go on.”

“Ok so yeah, how are you so sure the dragon is going to listen to you?”

“Trust?”

Sanghyuk rolled his eyes and scoffed, “trust? Really Hongbin? Trust!”

“Hey a little bit of hope goes a long way, I mean look at us, we’re both alive.” They were silent for a while, drinking in each other’s presence and then Hongbin raised his hands and ghosted his fingers across Sanghyuk’s face. “You had bruises here. The third time you ever came to my cell…why?”

Sanghyuk wanted to purr at Hongbin’s warm touch, “It’s not really a big deal. We castle boys usually have sparring sessions and I pissed off the burliest one of us and he decided to reconstruct my face,” he shrugged.

Hongbin hit him behind his head and whispered ‘idiot’ only to have Sanghyuk tackle him to the ground and pin him down.

“I may be an idiot Lee Hongbin but I’m still stronger than you.”

“I’m the one with the magic though.” Hongbin smirked up at him.

“Yeah the sleeping magic.”

“Shut up and let me go.”

Sanghyuk clicked his tongue and was about to make Hongbin beg for it but the flapping of wings distracted him. “Uhhhhh” he muttered and unknowingly moved behind Hongbin. Noticing this, Hongbin smirked and walked forward, towards the beautiful beast.

“You know, Sanghyuk” he began, “my grandmother once told me that when you create an empathy link with animals especially the ferocious ones, the animal is only going to listen and adhere to you, so, our little dragon friend here would probably burn you to a crisp if I’m not here.”

“Wow…that’s very uplifting. Thanks Hongbin, I can sleep better now.” Sanghyuk deadpanned. Hongbin chuckled and motioned for Hongbin to come closer to him. He grabbed his hands and placed them on the dragon’s back. Sanghyuk felt the dragon tense and he felt the muscles ripple under his touch and Sanghyuk felt the heat. “Hongbin whatever you do, please don’t move from next to me” Sanghyuk whispered almost whimpering. Hongbin chuckled again.

“I’m gonna try something.” He focused. Hongbin placed his hand on top of Sanghyuk’s and he tried to find that inner power he felt when he created the empathy link. Hongbin opened his eyes, “Sanghyuk.” When Sanghyuk turned around he was entranced. Hongbin’s eyes were glowing orbs of white and his skin seemed to glow along with them. “I’m going to ask you once more, do you trust me?”

Sanghyuk looked at him with so much admiration, so much respect, so much emotion and turned over his hand to intertwine their fingers, “yes!” and suddenly, as though that one word formed a bond that tied the two boys together in everlasting love…friendship…Sanghyuk’s hands and body emanated the same glow and when Hongbin let go of their hands and placed Sanghyuk’s back on the dragon’s back, the dragon looked at Sanghyuk, purred in content and bowed.

Minutes passed and the glow faded from both boys. As though coming out of a trance Sanghyuk gulped and turned towards Hongbin. “What just happened?”

Hongbin locked eyes with him. “I transferred some energy to you. We… I think we’re bonded now.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“Not necessarily.”

Sanghyuk hummed, “what do we do now?”

“Travel. Build memories, go places, learn, trade, Sanghyuk the possibilities are endless.”

“I always wanted to visit the snow caps.” Sanghyuk breathed. “Will you visit the snow caps with me?”

Hongbin turned to look at him and the twinkle in his eyes matched the sparkle in Sanghyuk’s, “I’d go to the underworld with you Han Sanghyuk.”

Their dragon hummed in his throat and warmed the two in a gentle heat as they laid under the cold night sky, wondering about the future ahead of them.