143

143

"RING!" the pesky alarm clock let out an ear piercing ring and I jolted awake, groaning as I sit up on my bed. I got my off the matress and let my feet drag me into the bathroom.

 

In the bathroom, a mirror can be seen and I saw a girl, a rather sleepy looking girl staring back at me with half-lidded eyes and drool dripping from the corner of her lips. The girl had chocolate brown locks but the tips of her hair are dipped dyed with the color blue. She looked pretty drowsy and I know well that she wants to curl up on her bed and sleep. She's kind of pretty.

 

Meh. Who am I kidding? We're talking about myself here. Of course I'm pretty!

 

Another mind-numbing day at school. Great, just great. I really can't wait to see my blockhead schoolmates and the old geezers who like to be called, teachers. Can you feel the love?

 

You should probably sense by now how I totally despise school, unless you're one of those airheads who can't decipher the difference between real talk and sarcastic talk. Go figure.

 

Little do I know that a few minutes from now, I would meet someone who would actually make me want to go to school every day just to see her beautiful face. 

 

The only one making school less miserable is my friend. Yes, friend. Singular. Single. Only one. You see, I'm not a total loner like what you're probably judging me with right now. My socializing skills are totally not rusty at all. It's just that the oafs I call classmates doesn't deserve my attention. I'm too fab for that.

 

Who this lucky person who got to befriend me -Wendy Son the most fabulous chic in town- is you ask? Heh. She's kind of a doofus too but she's at least a percent better than most of my schoolmates. Her name's Kang Seulgi. She's this dumb bear who stares at nothing until you actually snap her out of it. Most of the time, if she's not spacing out she'd be burying her head under piles of art materials, drawing something. That's pretty much how she is but she's awesome that way.

 

We've been friends since 6th grade. Fortunately, we're put in the same class during 7th grade but heavens forbid they actually split us up in 8th grade to 11th grade until now, 12th grade and that made my school year a little darker than it usually is.

 

I finished showering and wore my blue bathrobe before going out. I found my uniform placed on my messy bed - a white button down blouse topped with a navy blue blazer and pleated khaki brown skirt. I lazily wore my uniform, a piece of clothing after another. My school usually requires a navy blue necktie to go with it but I don't wear those and I even left a button of my blouse open and kept my blazer completely ed. I like wearing it that way. It's one of the little ways I could show that I despise the school and its administration.

 

A knock resonated from my door just as I finished putting on my blazer.

 

"Seungwan, dear?" my mom's muffled voice from outside called out "Hurry. Breakfast is ready"

 

"I'm coming, mom"

 

Seungwan. I hate that name. Believe it or not I actually spent my childhood grumbling about how my parents are such mean parents for giving me such a name. It sounds like a boy's name and people tease me about it and did I mention that I really hate that name?

 

I shot a glance to the clock on my nightstand and almost cursed. It's already 7:30 and because of the thirty minute distance of our house to our school, I'm technically about to be late.

 

I don't really care but my class has this kind of rule or something that you get some kind of a punishment when you're late. I don't know what punishment but punishments sound pretty bad and I don't want to be involved in those. 

 

I hastily grabbed my blue knapsack and padded downstairs. Clatters of spoon and chopsticks against plates and bowls and the delicious aroma of pancakes greeted me as I descended. I entered the dining room and saw my mom sitting down, patiently waiting for me and my dad reading his good 'ole newspaper with a cup of coffee on hand.

 

"Morning mom, dad" I greeted, landing a peck on their cheek while I'm at it.

 

"Late again?" Mom asked as I try to stuff a whole pancake in my mouth.

 

"Yeap" I managed to say, crumbs flying out of my mouth in the process.

 

"Don't talk when your mouth is full, Seungwan. How many times--"

 

"Do you have to tell me? Honestly? I don't know but I'm running late so..." I gulped down a glass of milk after I somehow managed to swallow the pancake "...I'll go now. Bye mom! Bye dad!" and before they could even respond, I clambered out of the house.

 

Trust my cursed luck to make me wait for almost fifteen minutes at the bus stop and damn! Where is that freaking bus?

 

I paced around impatiently. Out of boredom, I dug my phone out of my pocket and started playing a random game just to let time pass by. I was about to pass through a hard level in Candy Crush but I ran out of moves.

 

"This damned game is not sweet at all" I grumbled to myself, stuffing my phone angrily into my pocket. Since when did I get stuck on that particular level? Why did they even put those jellies on the candies anyway? And those onions got no relevance at all--

 

My thoughts went blank as soon as I lifted my head. Oh divine sugar crush this chick is the real sweet I'm talking about. I barely prevented my jaw from falling as I gape at the girl jogging towards me. Ah, no. Towards the bus stop rather.

 

This heavenly deity had chocolaty brown locks bouncing up and down her shoulders as she jogged. She had milky white skin and a small build. Her facial features were perfect. Rosy cheeks, bright eyes, pointed nose and plump reddish lips. She looks like a model for uniforms the way she wore her pink pinstripe blazer and she brought tons of books that I got the feeling that she's probably some kind of a braniac who literally look like she fell straight from heaven.

 

I can stare at this beauty forever if not for the loud hiss of the bus skidding into a stop beside me so I had no choice but to climb aboard and sit on my favorite spot, the last seat at the very back. I watched as people filled the vehicle and my heart did a mini somersault at the sight of the walking art climbing aboard.

 

"Sit beside me, sit beside me" I chanted under my breath repeatedly, discreetly watching where she would sit.

 

She's walking towards my direction! She's walking to my seat! She's--

 

She stopped at the seat just right in front of me and I broke down as she sat. Now, I have a clear view of the top of her head. Great. Just everything I could ask for.

 

The bus took off and the fresh breeze of wind blew through the windows. I casually leaned forward and tried to get a whiff of her scent or shampoo or whatever scent there is. It's creepy but admit it, you would do the same.

 

Her hair smelled like full bloomed flowers in spring. Her shampoo must've been some kind of floral flavored or rosy or jasminey just something flowery.

 

But my paradise ride did not last long. A few stops after, her highness stood up and hopped off the bus leaving me dazed and intoxicated by her scent that made me want more to the extent that I almost thought that I turned into a butterfly or a bee. One does not simply become attracted with floral scents.

 

==

 

"So you saw this girl in the bus stop and your mind just went haywire?" Seulgi asked as I finished my story. We're sitting at the cafeteria, munching down our lunch.

 

"Correction, I saw a goddess. Not a girl" I said, chewing on my kimbap.

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes "Duh Seungwan--"

 

"Don't call me that" I threatened her with my chopsticks.

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes again "Duh Wendy. You're such a goner. You don't even know her name and you go around proclaiming that she's a goddess"

 

I bit the tips of my chopsticks as I pondered about it "You're right. But I think I'll call her Irene" I blurted out.

 

"Irene?" Seulgi raised a brow "Why Irene?"

 

I shrugged and continued to gobble down my food "I don't know. Irene is a beautiful name. And she’s more than beautiful."

 

"You're hopeless, Wendy." Seulgi muttered and brought her focus back to her lunch.

 

"Hey Seul" I said "Which school wears pink pinstripe blazers?"

 

Seulgi looked up and thought for a while before shrugging "Dunno"

 

Yup. A typical dumb answer from our typical dump bear.

 

I shoved a piece of kimchi into my mouth "I'm gonna need to find out"

 

==

 

Days went by and with this cursed luck of mine; it was quite a miracle that I always rode the same bus with my muse that I actually discovered where she studies. Dongguk University. However, today is an ultra lucky day.

 

I sat on my usual seat with earphones plugged in my ears that didn't really play any music and kept an eye for her glorious figure to climb aboard.

 

There she comes.

 

I nonchalantly leaned on the window and closed my eyes, trying to act asleep but I still put on my prettiest sleeping face. But that's before the cushion dipped beside me and my nose caught a whiff of a familiar floral scent.

 

I tensed. She's sitting beside me. She's sitting beside me!

 

An elbow nudged me as she fixed her things. I slowly opened my eyes and stirred, acting like she woke me up from my nap. Gathering my courage, I turned to her wearing what I hope is an annoyed face and not a love struck face.

 

But it seem like I'm wearing the right expression since she smiled at me apologetically and muttered a quick "Sorry"

 

Naturally, I smiled back and said something very clever like "Uh..." and I probably looked dumb because she giggled softly at my response.

 

I cleared my throat awkwardly and shifted on my seat, trying hard not to smile. Her voice was soft and fragile and I never heard of anything as melodic as her laugh that I got the urge to make her laugh more.

 

The ride was blissful. Our shoulders brushing against each other, her sort of leaning on me when we turn to a corner and me purposely leaning against her when we swerved to her side. It was nice until she needed to get off the stop leaving me alone with a random ahjumma by my side.

 

==

 

"Wendy!" Seulgi called out, running towards me.

 

"I see you, Seul" I said "I wanna have something junk food-ish for lunch. Pizza perhaps?"

 

"Yeah you do that but Wan-ah, I have news to break to you" Seulgi chirped excitedly as we took our seat on the cafeteria.

 

I raised a brow.

 

"Did you sign up for that mathematics tutorial stuff?" Seulgi asked.

 

I rolled my eyes "Seulgi, you know I don't do that stuff. I'm too good in math for my own sake"

 

What? It's true!

 

"Yeah but that's not the point here" Seulgi said "The thing is, this workshop thingy is going to be held in..."

 

"In what?"

 

"Dongguk University" Seulgi said, proud of herself.

 

I almost fell off my chair.

 

"Eh?! Why did you tell me only now?!" I banged the table with my palms, turning a few heads over to our table but I don't care.

 

"Relax, Wendy!" Seulgi hissed after apoligizing to the students around us.

 

"Relax? How can I relax? Seul--"

 

"You can still sign up if you really want to, you know"

 

"Cool" I let out a sigh of relief "Are you going too?"

 

"Yup." Seulgi nodded "I'm going to accompany you. You can't let a hamster on heat get loose, can you?"

 

I'm going to strangle this girl.

 

==

 

My wicked luck just went all the way. Fortunately, there's still a slot on the workshop left for me. Ha. That's right. Make way for Wendy the great.

 

And today is the D-day. We're supposed to go to Dongguk University at 12 pm but I'm all ready to go by 9 am and no, I'm not desperate.

 

Well, maybe a little.

 

I didn't even get a wink of sleep last night. Who could even sleep when your stomach is fluttering and adrenaline runs through your veins? Not me. I was too excited and jumpy that I already got ready by 9.

 

After taking a very thorough bath that could've eradicated 99.9% of the bacteria and dirt on my body and bathed myself with perfume, I got dressed.

 

I wore a pastel pink button down shirt and rolled the sleeves up, black denim high waist shorts, and matte black wedge sneakers. It's good for me. Not too extravagant but decent. In short, I'm good to go out there and can 100% guarantee that I'll have everyone's heart by then. Wendy fashion is religion.

 

Finally, the clock ticked 11:30 just as I finished my lunch. I quickly swung my black leather bag over my shoulder and basically dashed out of the house, stumbling over my own feet in the process.

 

I reached the bus stop just in time that the bus arrived. But I didn't hop aboard without scanning the surroundings, looking for a certain goddess.

 

But it's Saturday, I reminded myself.

 

Reluctantly, I boarded the bus and sat on my usual seat. Thoughts of doubt and worry suddenly crossed my mind. What if Irene's not there? Well, yeah it's her school but that doesn't mean that she's going to be there even during weekends. Who goes to school during weekends?

 

I was about to stand up and get off the bus when she came and everything seemed to go in slow-motion.

 

Irene freaking Irene climbed aboard and my heart raced in anticipation. She carried tons of books and I fought the urge to act like a greasy douche bag and carry the books for her.

 

She looks gorgeous-er than ever. She wore white denim shorts, flaunting her milky white legs, a pair of white loafers and a pastel pink button-down shirt completely identical to mine. Coincidence? I think not.

 

Destiny?

 

Destiny.

 

She didn't seat next to me this time though since the seat beside me is occupied by a random stranger who smells like a cockroach. Irene sat on the vacant seat up front and I could barely see the crown of her head.

 

I bore holes at the back of her seat the whole ride. The pessimistic side of me acted up. Yeah sure she suddenly appeared but it could be that she's not going to her school. With those books, I could bet that she's probably going to her classmate's house for a group study or something. Those thoughts swirled around my mind until Irene suddenly stood up.

 

I jumped on my seat and frantically looked outside the window. Oh. This is the stop I'm supposed to get down to. Scrambling to my feet, I stumbled my way out of the bus before it could even leave.

 

I looked around, trying to take in the unfamiliar surroundings since I don't have much of those wanderlust and I tried to remember the directions Seulgi told me.

 

"Walk to your left then turn to the first corner" I remembered. I jogged to the left direction, looking up to the sky and admiring the view hardly looking forward to where I'm going. And what happens to people who don't watch where they're going? Slam onto someone of course.

 

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there--I mean, I was not watching where I'm going. I'm really really deeply sincerely from the bottom of my heart sorry." I rambled on without even looking at her as I help her pick up her books that's scattered on the sidewalk.

 

I heard her chuckle and it sounded nice "It's okay" she softly said and her voice sounded like velvety soft.

 

"Here" we stood up and I handed the books to her and I almost dropped them again but fortunately, the only thing I dropped is my jaw.

 

Standing in front of me with all her divine gorgeous glory is my goddess, angel, muse and a walking art. Irene.

 

"Thank you" Irene said, smiling at me as she took the books from my hand and our fingers brushed against each other making my system go crazy with just a mere contact.

 

"Irene!" expect me to blurt out the dumbest craps.

 

She tilted her head to the side, looking like a confused little bunny "Irene?"

 

"Oh... um... uh..." I stuttered, looking at everywhere except her questioning eyes "Nothing. It's just... um... a friend..? Uh... nah, not really... but um..."

 

I heard her giggle and I instinctively looked at her. Looking at her is probably the best thing my instincts did because her smile can literally grow flowers and cure cancer.

 

"It's fine, relax." Irene said "Are you headed to Dongguk University?"

 

It took me several blinks before I could say something like "Uh... yeah"

 

"Cool! I'm headed there too. Maybe we can go there together" Irene suggested.

 

My mind was blank but I tried my best to come up with a coherent answer "Sure"

 

"Great!" Irene chirped and patted my shoulder, signaling me to stop standing there like a statue and walk beside her.

 

"Let me carry your books" I blurted out but I can't blame myself. I really wanted to say that the moment I saw her boarding the bus.

 

"Oh, no it's fine. I can manage" Irene replied.

 

"I insist" I said, taking off a pile from the mountain of books she's carrying "Just this much, yes?"

 

"Alright. Thank you... uh..?"

 

"Wendy. I'm Wendy Son"

 

Irene smiled "Thank you Wendy-ssi" she said and suddenly my name sounded a thousand times better than it usually does.

 

"Um... It may be too soon but you can drop the formalities"

 

"Ok then, Wendy" She smiled and I swear she can replace the sun any day "My name is Joohyun. Bae Joohyun"

 

Bae Joohyun. Yep. Done engraving the name on my heart and on my mind.

 

"Your surname fits you well" I said before I could stop myself.

 

Irene--Joohyun laughed and I swear it sounded better than any music I've ever heard "It's the first time someone told me that. Why do you say so?"

 

Okay. So this deity is either acting dumb or she's just not into social media and technology.

 

"You look like a Bae" I said, going all out.

 

"Do I?" She said and the twinkle in her eyes made me nervous and suspicious that she actually understood what I was talking about. But before I could think about that, we reached the campus gates.

 

We entered and I looked around. The school's nice. In front of us is a road leading to the building and beside us is a stretch of lush and green grass and plants. Beside the sidewalks, bushes and trees are planted. Further in front, the flagpole stood high and mighty carrying the South Korean flag and beyond that, the entrance to the school building can be seen. The building was made with light pink painted bricks.

 

"Sweet" I whistled.

 

"You must not be a student here, right?" Joohyun asked and I nodded "What's your purpose for stopping by?"

 

I'm here for you, I wanted to answer but I knew better than to continue blurting out embarrassing stuff "I'm here for that mathematics whatever-ness" Yup. That is totally not one of the embarrassing stuff.

 

Her eyes shone dangerously bright. Okay it's official. She's totally intimidating "Mathematics whatever-ness?" she repeated and I figured that she was amused.

 

"Uh... It's kind of--"

 

"Wendy!" a familiar voice called out and I turned. Great. A dumb bear came to save the day. Seulgi skidded to a halt right in front of me and shot glances from me to Joohyun "Oh. Uh... I didn't--"

 

“Um, Joohyun, this is Seulgi, a friend of mine. Seulgi, this is Joohyun.” I tried to introduce them to each other.

 

"Hi." Joohyun smiled at her then looked back to me, taking back her books from my arms "I should go now, Wendy. I'll see you in that mathematics whatever-ness of yours. Nice meeting you, Seulgi-ssi." she grinned and waved before walking away.

 

I watched as Joohyun's figure became smaller and smaller as she walked off. By the time I can't see her anymore, I turned to Seulgi.

 

"Hey" I nudged her, snapping her out of her trance.

 

"Was that..."

 

"Yup. Irene" I grinned victoriously "Turns out her name is actually Bae Joohyun"

 

"No way" Seulgi said in disbelief.

 

"Yes way" I replied and we walked towards the entrance.

 

I told her what happened as we went inside the building. The lobby was neat. Mosaic tiles made the floor, the walls painted with pale pink and white. Up ahead, a two way staircase can be seen, to the right is the corridor leading to somewhere and further into the left, there's an array of pale pink lockers. That's it. This school is a total pink-aholic.

 

"You don't say" Seulgi said in disbelief after I recounted my story "I request a piece of evidence"

 

I shrugged "You saw how we walked here together right? With the formalities dropped and all that. I hope that's enough evidence for you, Sherlock. Where are we going anyway?"

 

"This way" Seulgi grabbed my arm and dragged me to the right corridor. We entered the first room.

 

The room looked like a regular classroom filled with a bunch of teenage kids except they were geeky teenage kids. It seemed so different seeing almost everyone with thick glasses and some even had braces. The room was quiet and they were all absorbed in a book they're reading or a problem they're solving. When someone did talk, it's about them arguing about what the right answer is and the method use and blah blah numbers blah blah equations blah blah blah.

 

No one seemed to mind our presence so we did the obvious thing. Take a seat at the very back of the room.

 

"When does--"

 

"Shhh!"

 

"Oh great. Why am I here again?" Seulgi sighed.

 

"To watch over a hamster on heat" I reminded her.

 

"Right. Since when did I become your chaperone?"

 

I was about to answer when the door swung open and in line with that, my jaw fell open for the nth time today.

 

Entering the room is Bae freaking Joohyun carrying a book and wearing round specs. The wind seemed to add some special effects which did nothing to help her look real.

 

Seulgi looked at me then at Joohyun and vice-versa "Why are you wearing the same shirt?" she asked; only realizing it now.

 

I smirked "Do you believe in fate?"

 

"Oh I don't. But I do believe in coincidences" She deadpanned.

 

Before I could strangle the bear, Joohyun cleared and everyone's attention was on her.

 

"Good Morning everyone, my name is Bae Joohyun. 3rd year BSEd student major in mathematics." She said, looking around and there it is. She met my eyes and locked our gaze "I'll be the one to handle this group and teach you about this... let's say... mathematics whatever-ness" she smiled at me -at least I hope it was meant for me- before breaking eye contact and talk about the objectives and stuff.

 

"Did she just smile at you?" Seulgi asked.

 

"How I wish" I replied.

 

Other than being the main source of distraction, she's a great teacher. Nothing really sank into my mind but I could tell that she did well. That's not a biased opinion.

 

Time passed by quickly and before I knew it, the sun's already setting down in the west and the clock ticked 4:00 pm. Joohyun wrapped up her lesson and we bid goodbye. But of course I ain’t going home without achieving something.

 

Joohyun was fixing her things on the table while students poured out of the room.

 

"You go ahead" I told Seulgi.

 

"You sure?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Wendy, any business--any funny business at all..." she pointed her forefinger to my face.

 

"I got it, okay?" I swatted her hand away "Gosh you sound worse than my mother"

 

"Control your hormones, hamster on heat"

 

"So much hate, dumb bear"

 

Seulgi stuck out her tongue and with that, she went out of the room leaving me and Irene alone.

 

Sighing, I swung my bag on my shoulder and stood up, walking casually to Joohyun's desk. Here goes nothing.

 

"Um, excuse me, Bae seonsaengnim?" I formally approached and she looked up.

 

"Oh. Hey Wendy. Please, enough with the 'seonsaengnim'. The session's over." Joohyun said though she looks a bit pleased

 

"Uh... Joohyun-ssi..?"

 

She laughed "And yet you're the one who suggested dropping the formalities. You can call me unnie, you know"

 

"Um... U-unnie... I..." I rummaged my bag and searched for Seulgi's notebook which I borrowed since she actually took notes "I got a little confused about this one..." I pointed out a random problem.

 

"Need help?"

 

"Yes, please"

 

"Okay then. Drag a chair over here" She gestured to the space beside her and I gladly complied.

 

Sitting next to her, I could smell the fragrance of spring and flowers and all the good stuff in the world. She began explaining about the equation and stuff but I can't concentrate. No. Not when her scent makes my mind go hazy. Not when we're such in a close proximity.

 

"So you'll have to determine the coordinates of the points of intersection of the function and its inverse." I heard Joohyun say "Do you get it now?"

 

I flinched, coming out of my thoughts "Uh..."

 

"Well?"

 

I wanted to say no just for the sake of her explaining it again which means that I could get to hear her soothing wonderful voice all over again but I didn't want to look more stupid than I already am in her eyes so I nodded my head.

 

"Good. Want to try?" She said with a challenging smile.

 

"What do I get if I answer it correctly?" I blurted out. Jeez, what's wrong with my mouth spitting out random stuff today?

 

Joohyun raised a brow "Know how to solve the problem, I guess?"

 

"Oh," I deflated "Okay."

 

To my surprise, Joohyun laughed lightly "I'm just kidding. How about ice cream? My treat"

 

My ears perked. She's treating me ice cream? Is she asking me out on a date? "Bring it on."

 

Joohyun grinned, scribbled a problem and passed the notebook to me "Go on then."

 

Given the function g(x) =12x2 for x≥0.

 

I looked at the given problem and I inwardly smirked. My hand grabbed the ball pen and went autopilot, writing on the paper with ease. My brain worked on its own, doing math like a calculator. I really wasn't lying when I said that I'm too good in math for my own good, you know. Within minutes, I was already done.

 

"Finished" I said.

 

Joohyun looked at me as if to say 'no way' but she took the notebook anyway. Her brows shot up as she scanned my solution. Few moments later, she put down the notebook and studied me for a moment before saying "You're a fast learner"

 

"I know" I smirked "So, about that ice cream..."

 

==

 

Door chimes rang as I entered the coffee shop and the smell of caffeine went inside my system filling me with extra adrenaline.

 

"Irene!" I squealed as I spot God's perfect creation sitting on our usual table. She's just wearing a black tee and ripped jeans but she never fails to make me swoon.

 

She turned and frowned, watching me as I take a seat across her "I still don't get why you call me Irene."

 

"And I still don't get why you're always greeting me with that sentence but nice to meet you too." I said.

 

Yes, you read it right. How things escalated quickly you ask? Well, let's just say we've been hitting it off quite well since the ice cream treat. We rode the same bus together every weekdays and went to each other's house during weeknights to 'study' (but really, we always end up watching movies or just lazily lying around). We also go to Dongguk University together every Saturdays, I stay back after the session to wait for her then we go eat some ice cream after. During Sundays like today, we just hung out. Go outside and play. Just the two of us. In short, we basically see each other every day in a month now and I'm more than fine with it.

 

But what's nagging me is, what are we?

 

"What's the plan for today?" Irene asked. I prefer calling her Irene. Reminds me of the old times. And I don't call her 'unnie' too. I don't know but it doesn't feel right.

 

"I prepared something" I said, sipping on my frappe.

 

"You always do" Irene smiled and I've never felt so proud of myself.

 

"Come on. Let's take the drinks out." I grinned and grabbed her wrist, leading her out of the coffee shop.

 

"Where are we going?" Irene asked as we got into my car--hey I can drive you know. I'm 18!

 

"It's a secret" I said, buckling myself and starting the engine.

 

"It always is" She mumbled but I heard "Drive away then, Driver Son"

 

I drove along the street and switched the radio on, breaking the silence as we soon started to sing along off tune. This, my friends, is our idea of fun.

 

"C.R.A.Z.Y TTARA HAE! TTARA HAE!" Okay I guess I went a little bit too far with that.

 

Irene laughed and shoved my shoulder "Hey get a grip! Drive safely will you?"

 

I glanced at her and shot her a wild grin "I'll try."

 

I tried.

 

Soon, I found myself jumping on my seat excitedly as Red Velvet's 'Happiness' came on.

 

"SHINE ON ME LET IT SHINE ON ME YEAH! NAE DU PARE LET IT SHI--" I was in the middle of screaming out my favorite lines from my favorite member when Irene turned the radio off "Hey!"

 

She giggled "You were cute but I need to stay alive at least until we reach wherever you're taking me to."

 

I felt blood rushing to my face. She told me I'm cute and I didn't hear anything else after that. She called me cute! She thinks I'm cute! I think so too! I am cute!

 

"Can't you at least leave the radio on? I want to listen to some songs. I'll behave" I requested and did my big pleading eyes thing. Trust me; it always works on my mom.

 

"I want to listen to some songs too" Irene said "But I want to hear them from you"

 

I almost drove the car straight off the cliff but there were no cliffs in the city so I considered driving off the bridge instead. The pain should be the same right? "Excuse me? Are you low key asking me to sing?"

 

"Maybe" Irene shrugged and I could tell that she's trying hard not to laugh.

 

"Well I'm sorry princess but right now you're just asking for a death wish." I said "You would not want to witness the ground opening and swallowing us both because my voice could do that. It's a talent."

 

Irene raised a brow "Then show me."

 

"You really wanna die young?"

 

"Bring it on, Jigglypuff"

 

"Hey! My voice doesn't put people to sleep! It opens the ground and swallows you whole. I'm much cooler than Jigglypuff"

 

"I don't see the difference since the both of you just knocks people down but hurry up and get to it will you"

 

I sighed. This girl is impossible "You'll regret this" I muttered.

 

"Sing a sappy love song" Irene said

 

I choked "Seriously?" she nodded and I sighed in despair "Let's just get this over and done with" Why do I like this girl again? And why am I so whipped?

 

I cleared my throat "Don't laugh at me" my voice came out as a tiny timid squeak and I kept my eyes on the road.

 

"Go on" she said softly.

 

Aah~ aah~ mic test one two.

 

L is for the way you look at me

O is for the only one I see

 

I sang and a cold sweat ran down my back. Finally, I could see the entrance to our destination and I accelerated.

 

V is very very extraordinary

E is even more than anyone that you adore can love

 

I stopped singing as soon as I parked the car. Finally. Saved by the parking lot.

 

I unbuckled my seatbelt "We're here"

 

"Eh? Wait no, keep on singing" Irene said.

 

"My talent fee is a bit high. Maybe later." I went out of the car and opened the door for her. Cliche "But for now, it's party time!" I grinned and dragged her out.

 

"Hey!" She protested but it all fell short when she realized where we are and she paled.

 

"You're afraid of heights. That's why this is the best place for you." I grabbed her wrist and dragged her towards the entrance.

 

"No no no no Seungwan don't you dare!" She thrashed under my hold.

 

"Why not? It's gonna be fun!"

 

"You're such a sadistic hamster!"

 

"And you're a coward bunny. Man up Irene. We're not riding those extreme rides" I said and she calmed down.

 

"Really?" she asked and I nodded "If only I knew we're going to an amusement park then I shouldn't have gone with you" she grumbled as I dragged her in.

 

Yes, we're in an amusement park. The kind that has ultra mega rollercoaster rides. My date—I mean, companion hates these rides but I brought her here. Real smooth Wendy. Real smooth.

 

But I've been planning a little event today.

 

Time passed by as we rode different types of rides. Irene sure is experiencing hell and I can tell. One does not simply cling unto me as if her life depended on it. But I'm experiencing heaven. Who wouldn't when your crush holds your hand tight the whole day?

 

"Before I forget," I said after we bought cotton candies "let's ride the Ferris wheel before we go" the piece of paper in my pocket weighed a thousand tons.

 

"Why?" Irene looked up to the enormous wheel "It's... It's too high."

 

"It's not scary." I tugged at her hand "Just admire the view. The sunset is pretty today"

 

We queued up and soon enough we got onto our gondola, sitting in front of each other. My heart's rapidly beating now and my palms are getting clammy. I seldom get nervous but I'm a shaking mess now that I have to confess.

 

Yes, I'm going to confess.

 

"Whoa. The view is superb" I heard Irene mutter and I watched as she stared outside in amazement.

 

"Yeah. The view is amazing" I said, though I was referring to the view sitting in front of me.

 

Irene turned and caught me staring. Her smile melted and she looked at me worriedly "Wendy? Are you alright?"

 

"H-huh? Yeah... Yeah of course! Why would I be not? Ah-he-he-he," I chuckled nervously.

 

Irene frowned "You're really pale. Are you sure you're okay?" she narrowed her eyes "Don't tell me you're scared?"

 

"Eh? I-I'm..." I trailed off because my mind went blank as she placed her hand on top of mine.

 

"Don't worry. I'm here" Irene smiled.

 

In any situations I must've laughed because her telling me that in a 20 ft ride is ridiculous but right now all I could do is nod my head.

 

I looked outside and saw that we're really high up now. It's time, I thought.

 

"Joohyun," I said, breaking the silence "I have a mathematics problem I want you to solve." I reached for my pocket and took out a piece of paper.

 

"Huh? Why so sudden?" She asked, looking at the paper.

 

"You should give me an answer before the ride ends. It's a challenge" I tried to smile casually but it must've looked strained because she looked worriedly at me as I hand her the paper.

 

"X^2 + 286x + 20449 = 0" She read.

 

"Solve for the X" I said "It's real easy so go on and solve it before the ride ends."

 

She shot me a look but she solved the problem anyway. I watched as she furrowed her brows and scribble the numbers. This is it. Now no matter what her answer is, you would still be her friend, right? You'll accept whatever the verdict is, right? You have to Wendy. Because staying by her side should be enough.

 

"Wendy..." Irene said, her voice slightly breaking and she looked at me with glassy eyes.

 

I put on a nonchalant smile "Finished?"

 

"Wendy... this is..." She choked and I knew it's over.

 

I smiled a little too sincerely now as I blinked back tears "Yes? The answer?"

 

"I... I..." She looked down.

 

"The answer, dear?" I said, gulping down the lump in my throat "What's the value of x?" I asked, my voice just above a whisper.

 

"X is equal to 143" She said quietly "Wendy... do you... do you love--no, like? I mean--"

 

"Like or love. Whichever you prefer" I shrugged.

 

"Wendy..." Irene looked at me apologetically, her eyes watery.

 

I forced out a smile "Hey, hey now. Don't cry." I reached out and gently wiped her tears.

 

"I'm sorry" She sobbed.

 

There it is. Wendy Son is officially dumped. Bravo!

 

I pulled her into my arms and ran my hand soothingly across her back "Hey, calm down" I chuckled "People will think otherwise when we get off. Don't make me look bad"

 

"Wendy..."

 

"Shh. How many times have you uttered my name?" I said jokingly "I just want to let you know. You don't need to answer me you know. I understand"

 

"I... I'm sorry" She said and she suddenly reached out and wiped something wet off my face.

 

Oh. I'm crying.

 

"Stop apologizing" I said, hastily wiping tears off my cheek "The ride's almost over." I dabbed her tears away and fixed her hair.

 

"Seungwan-ah" She suddenly said.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Can we still be friends?"

 

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. A few moments ago I was so sure of myself that I'd still be her friend. I wanted to say yes but my voice won't come out. I found myself saying two words, my voice calm and cold as steel.

 

"We'll see"

 

*******************

 

“We’ll see”

 

Her voice rang through my head and I thrashed around my bed, trying to get those words out of my mind. It’s been replaying over and over again for the past few days. Three days? Four days? Seven days? I’ve lost count. Which is, very strange since I never lose count of things.

 

Never.

 

Until I met Wendy Son, the human manifestation of Aphrodite.

 

Ever since I met her, I started to lose count of things. I started to lose count of my heartbeat whenever I’m with her, I started to lost count of how many times in a day I thought of her, I lost count of how many times I denied to myself that I miss the girl and I lost count of how much I miss her.

 

I don’t know how long it has been since that fateful day but I didn’t see Wendy anymore since then.

 

“Joohyun unnie” I heard someone call my name.

 

“Hm?” I grunted, turning to see my juniors sitting on the edge of my bed “What are you doing here?”

 

“You called us here” Joy rolled her eyes. She’s a school junior, a tall girl with flowing black hair and a sassy personality.

 

“Seriously, unnie. You keep on calling us over but you do the same thing over and over again.” Yeri complained. She’s a school junior too. A thirteen year old girl with brown hair tied into pigtails.

 

“This is about Wendy again, isn’t it?” Joy asked, crossing her legs.

 

“Ugh,” I buried my face on the pillow “What’s happening to me? What am I supposed to do?”

 

“Why did you dump her in the first place anyway” Joy said.

 

Yeah. Why did I?

 

“I… I was confused, okay?” I said, flailing my arms and legs around in exasperation.

 

 “You shouldn’t have dumped her immediately if you were confused.” Yeri said “You should’ve asked for more time. She’ll understand that”

 

Sometimes, I wonder if this girl is really thirteen.

 

“You’re right” I huffed “But that’s what I should have done. What matters is what I should do.”

 

“Well duh, unnie. You should go out there and tell her how you really feel instead of beating yourself here in your room.” Joy said.

 

“But what if she doesn’t accept me?” I wailed, sitting up and hugging my knees.

 

“Then let her and move on. You can’t keep on watering a dead flower” Yeri said making Joy and I stare at her “What?”

 

I sighed and collapsed on my bed “Easy for you to say…”

 

“Jeez, Bae Joohyun. Stop chickening out” said Joy.

 

“You dropped your honorifics” I pointed my index finger to her face.

 

“Oh please. You don’t deserve to be called ‘unnie’ if you’re acting like that” Joy swatted my hand away “Even a thirteen year old can outrun you when it comes to romance. Such a woman from the past generation.”

 

I was about to smack her head when Yeri came up to me.

 

“Man up, unnie” Yeri said, patting me encouragingly on the back “You’ll never know unless you try.”

 

“What am I supposed to do?” I asked.

 

“Well I don’t know. Serenade her parents maybe?” Joy said sarcastically “Of course you talk to her, Bae Joohyun!”

 

“Red card, Park Sooyoung. One more informality…” I glared at the tall girl.

 

“She’s right though. You should talk to her properly, unnie.” Yeri intercepted.

 

Talk. Talk properly, yes. But I don’t think I could do that when I stand in front of her face to face.

 

“What—What am I going to say?” I asked.

 

Joy huffed and got up “Gosh I’m out of here. Grandma is so clueless” and there she goes, out of my room.

 

I looked at Yeri expectantly “Well unnie,” she started to say “Joy unnie’s right, you know. You’re so clueless and I’m actually fighting the urge to leave you alone right now”

 

Once a devil, always a devil.

 

“Yeri!” I whined and tugged her arm “Help me”

 

“You just need to say everything you want to say. Don’t leave anything and just pour it all out. That way you won’t regret after. That way you’re mind would be at ease because no matter what the response is, at least you got the weight off your heart, right?” Yeri said and she tucked my hair behind my ear before standing up “Think about it, unnie” and with that, I was alone in the room.

 

I straightened up and pondered. Yeri’s right. I should go out there and talk to her. I need closure. I’m usually a pretty analytical person but when it comes to Wendy, my mind can’t work the way it usually does.

 

I lost count of many things but I know that there’s an infinite urge for me to see Wendy. I could feel it. The need to feel her smooth skin against my palm, the need to lace our fingers together and the amusement it brings as it fits each other perfectly.

 

I need to see Wendy.

 

I got up, hit the showers and threw a raglan shirt and jeans on. I grabbed my things and stuffed them inside a white tote bag. My palm felt clammy and the tips of my fingers are icy cold. There’s no denying that I’m having a rollercoaster of emotions right now. I’m nervous but also looking forward and at the same time excited (and a little hopeful?)

 

I combed my hair carefully, sprayed some perfume and even put on a tad bit of makeup. Well if I’m gonna confess my feelings don’t I get to look at least presentable?

 

“Oh? Finally got the guts to confront Miss Blue Dip Dye?” Joy said as I stepped out of the room.

 

“Shut up, Sooyoung” I said, putting on a pair of white Keds.

 

“Fighting, unnie!” Yeri cheered.

 

“Yeah. Good luck, you’ll need it” I heard Joy say before I stumbled out of my apartment.

 

==

 

Ding Dong

 

I rang the doorbell and nervously bit my fingers. What if she’s not home? What if she refuses to see me? What if—

 

“Oh? Joohyun my dear is that you?” I heard Mrs. Son from the door monitor.

 

“Ah, yes Mrs. Son. It’s me”

 

And the door swung open revealing a middle aged woman, wearing an apron and oven mitts.

 

“Good Morning, Mrs. Son” I beamed at the smiling lady.

 

“Why, hello there, Joohyun. Long time no see. Wendy’s upstairs, locked up in her room” Mrs. Son opened the door wider, making way for me.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Son” I said before dashing upstairs towards the baby blue door with a hanging miniature Olaf.

 

I stopped just in front of the doorstep and took a deep breath, I can do this. I lifted a hand and carefully but loudly knocked on the door.

 

I heard shuffling noises inside and Wendy’s muffled voice saying “What is it, Mom?”

 

I swallowed. How long has it been since I’ve heard her voice?

 

I missed hearing her voice. The way she speaks, the way she spits out her words like a machine gun and also when she sang. How silly of her to think that her voice could make the ground swallow us whole when all it did was open up the heavens that I could almost see the angels rejoicing at the sound of her voice.

 

I knocked again. A little louder this time.

 

Shuffling feet neared the door and her irritated voice became muffled through the door. I could hear her grumbling about technology illiterate parents and I could imagine her frown. The way her brows scrunch up together and her lips forming into a mini pout.

 

The door flew open and I stood as still as a statue. In front of me stood a rather new looking Wendy.

 

First of all, her hair was no longer dip dyed with blue. It’s in the light shade of brown now and she cut her bangs. The ends of her hair curling up and a lock of hair braided down. She wore an oversized white sweater that covers her shorts—if she was wearing any. She looked gorgeous.

 

We stared at each other and no one moved for a while. But Wendy suddenly looked away and reached out for the doorknob but I beat her to it. I grabbed her hand and it was nice to have the familiar feeling back.

 

She stared at me blankly “You’re real.”

 

I smiled. I missed her dumb remarks too “Nice to meet you too. Can we talk?”

 

Wendy blinked and blinked “Talk? Aren’t we doing that now?”

 

“Well, yeah but can you at least let me in?” I pleaded.

 

“Let you in?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“In to my room?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Just the two of us?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“No.” She tried to close the door but again, I stopped her.

 

“Please, Seungwan.” I did my best bunny puppy eyes.

 

Wendy sighed before moving aside “Come on in”

 

I entered the familiar room and she closed the door behind me. I looked around and memories flood into my mind. Those times when we used to study together, watch movies together, chat with each other. Those memories are all in this room.

 

“So, what do you want to talk about?” Wendy asked, nonchalantly plumping down the blue bean bag but I could tell that she’s curious and anxious too. And is that hope I see in her eyes?

 

“Us.” I said, sitting on another bean bag in front of her.

 

Wendy raised her expressive eyebrows “Us? What about us?”

 

“I…” I trailed off but I immediately gathered my courage “I miss you, Wendy.”

 

She didn’t move and just continued to stare at my eyes as if they were windows to my soul and I swear I heard her mumble “I miss you too.”

 

“I’m sorry about what happened in the Ferris wheel.” I said carefully.

 

Wendy nodded “Well, I should be the one apologizing for avoiding you.”

 

“You should.” I agreed “It was hard you know. Like losing an important piece of my heart,”

 

“Did you take philosophy while I was gone?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“So, is that all?” She asked expectantly, searching for my eyes.

 

“One last thing, actually,” I took a deep breath before meeting her gaze and locking it with mine.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Is that math problem still available? Because I have an answer now.”

 

“And that is?” She asked and I could tell that she was holding her breath.

 

“143.” I said “I like you, Son Seungwan”