Photograph

Photograph
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“REIKO!” I heard someone yelled my name and I turned around. Turns out it was one of my classmates from our photography class, Nakajima Yuto.

*CLiCK*

“It’s the last shot…” he smirked at me, “that’s why I looked for you. Thanks!” as he quickly rushed off.

He does this everytime, he always… ALWAYS use the last shot of his film to take my picture. More often than not, they are candid shots, and he rarely gives me a chance to strike a pose or even smile. And of course, it annoyed the hell out of me.

I’ve known Yuto since middle school, since we went to the same institution–until we graduated from highschool. We were never really close, but we’ve always worked together since I was a writer in our school paper, and he was always the photographer.

Most people don’t understand him, since he was the silent and arrogant type. I just shook my head and laughed while I watch him run away. probably back to the dark room which no one uses.

Yuto is also my classmate in photography class this semester, and apparently he may be the only one who uses a film camera, since we all have the digital ones. I have no idea why, but I think he just loves photography that much.

“Hyun Ae!” I called out as soon as I saw one of my friends running around in circles again.

Hyun Ae is actually my bestfriend. She’s Korean by the way, but she was like raised in Japan. Her parents are both Koreans, but she swears that she’s Japanese. She was also one of my classmates back in middle school and high school and she used to date the school’s jock, I don’t even know what she saw in that guy.

Well anyway, she started her college in Korea, but when her mom died, she came back to Japan to be with her dad again…

“What’s up?” she quickly asked as soon as she saw me. She looked tense and all worked up.

“Nothing much…” I linked arms with her and we started walking towards the university’s park.

“Have you found a job yet?” she questioned.

And yeah, I forgot to mention, this term we have to look for companies that would hire us as part of our course, it’s like a training or something before we graduate from college.

“Of course I didn’t have to ask… silly me. You’d probably work in your company anyways…” she sighed.

“Why? I can talk to my dad if you also want to work there… I’m sure he’d say yes, he loves you like his second daughter.” I giggled.

“I actually have found myself a job…” she bit her lip, “but it’s back in Korea… Everything’s already fixed.” she grunted.

“Why is it that I feel that you’re not liking to go back there?”

She rolled her eyes at me, as if asking the most stupid question on Earth, “If you forgot, my ex boyfriend named Lee Donghae, right?”

“It’s not like… Oh wait, are you going to work for their company?”

“Seems like it…” she sighed, “plus add the fact that we’re neighbors, right?”

“Oh yeah… that could be a problem. But, you could still make his life a living hell since he broke up with you.”

+ + +

Technically, I didn’t have a class on Saturdays but I wanted to go back to the University just to unwind. The weird thing about this school is that it doesn’t feel toxic at all. I also love the feel of the place when it’s raining… Saturdays have always been my day with Hyun Ae but she couldn’t go out now since she still has to finish packing for her trip to Korea.

I sat on one of the sheds near the garden area, and I saw someone intently taking pictures of the ajisai. The person, rather the guy, was already drenched, the only thing that’s covered is his camera and the tripod. Nobody in the right mind would do such thing… if he’s in the photography club…. Shoot, it’s Yuto.

Observing him from afar, I was simply drawn–he was waiting for something before taking the right picture. It must be really hard to use a camera film since you wouldn’t know the outcome of the shot until you’ve already had everything printed in the dark room, plus I don’t think it’s really practical unless you’re not just a hobbyist.

I stood up from where I was seated, and approached him and covered him under my umbrella too. He must’ve thought that the rain just stopped pouring as he looked up.

“Oh, it’s you…” he gave me that sly grin of his.

“Yeah, you’re going to get sick.” I replied.

“The ice princess is suddenly concerned?” he teased.

“Hey, I’m not an ice princess!” I frowned.

“Yeah, you are… the prettiest if I may add.” he pinched my nose before going back to his camera.

Good thing that he came back to his camera again, if not he would’ve seen me turn red. I never told anyone this, including my bestfriend, but I’ve always like Yuto… I don’t know since when, but I just liked him.

He’s not exactly my type, but I really admired him at first as an artist. but then I got to know him and I just started thinking on why he was still single. I know for a fact that every girl would definitely be after him.

“Rei…” I must’ve been out of my thoughts, that when he called me, I was in a daze. “Click* “Last shot!”

And so I was able to hit him using my umbrella… and now we’re both soaked.

“Why do you keep doing that?” I asked, clearly annoyed.

“I just couldn’t find anything better to shoot… Come on, I just finished the roll and I have to get these printed.” he started picking up his things, careful that his camera wouldn’t get wet.

Seriously, I don’t get this guy. I’m actually a bit offended that it’s always that last shot, why couldn’t he take a picture of me using the first shot? It happens everytime, and yet he never gave me or at least showed me a single picture that he took.

We both went back to our department’s building, and he went directly to the dark room.

“You’re going to have those printed here? I thought the dark room was locked?” I asked.

“Yeah, it is.” but then he pulled out the key from his back pocket, “I’m the only one who uses it…”

“So I can go in too?”

“Nope, sorry! Maybe next time…”

I was pretty insistent that I wanted to go in too, but since he was a guy, he’s stronger than me and I lost.

“Fine, make sure that you’ll let me in next time…” I pouted and started to walk to the nearest bathroom to get cleaned up.

“Next time Rei… I swear.” he smiled at me before finally closing the doors behind him.

+ + +

This was our last seme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter