My fault I Lie

Mea Maxima Culpa

 

A/N - Chapter 10!!!

Chapter 10 – My fault I Lie

Dara POV

I heard the door creak open, the familiar footsteps on the floorboards.

“Sanghyun!” I cried, leaping up from the bed I had borrowed at the mblaq dorms and rushing out into the hallway. True enough, there he stood looking over his shoulder, increasingly guilty. I bundled him into a hug despite the fact he was taller and more muscular than I was. “Sanghyun!” I sobbed into the back of his shirt.

He turned around and pulled me into a stiff hug. “Sorry for worrying you noona.” He said softly.

“Worried me!?” I drew back indignantly. “You worried everyone!”  I smacked him hard on his chest, wincing as all it did was bounce off the hard muscle.

“Mianhe.” He said earnestly. But his smile was strange. I noticed his hand was bandaged and his clothes fresh, as if he had gone on a holiday rather than run away.

“Where have you been?” I demanded. But suddenly the hallway was flooded with the other mblaq members.

“Cheondoong!” Mir cried and latched himself onto Cheondoong. I couldn’t help but grin as Joon and G.O pulled the two into one large family hug.

“Urrrghh!” Cheondoong groaned. “Choking here!”

Chuckling, they untangled themselves and Seungho stepped forwards. Dear, Seungho whose dark circles had worsened overnight.

He stared at Cheondoong for a long moment and then pulled him in for a large hug. When he released my little brother, his eyes were teary. I knew he had blamed himself all night long and would have blamed himself even more if Cheondoong hadn’t come home.

“I’m…sorry…so sorry…” he whispered, looking Cheondoong in the eye. We all held our breaths as we awaited his reaction. We expected tears, shared blames and hugs.

We did not expect his cheerful slap on the back to Seungho. “It’s fine hyung!” he said merrily. “I just needed some time to sort out my feelings. I’m sure you’ll take good care of Dara-noona, right!”

Then he grinned widely. “And don’t worry!” he joked. “I’ll be watching Seungho-hyung like a hawk!” he smiled. “Just joking. Ah, but I’m really sleepy. I’m gonna go get some rest.” He smiled. “Stay over as long as you like noona.” He gave me one last glance and in that moment, I saw his façade slip, his eyes soften with sorrow and his mouth loose its firm set. Then he quickly slipped into his room and closed the door behind him.

I looked at the four mblaq members in front of me and took Seungho’s shaking hand in mine. “What happened?” I whispered, fearful of the answer.

But no one could answer me.

 

Cheondoong POV

Inside the dark haven of my bedroom I leaned against the doorframe and let my façade slip. I had to make sure they didn’t worry about me. I couldn’t let that continue.

No. Dara-noona had picked Seungho. I had my doubts, but I couldn’t interfere any further. And I was certain this time that Seungho would be a better man for her. He wasn’t blinded by the bright lights of media or the inane greed of lust that I had seen in so many men. This time I knew who Yang Seungho was, and so I could trust him, right?

Right. It would make Seungho-hyung happy. It would make Dara-noona happy.  I just had to make sure everyone was happy.

Even if I wasn’t.

 

Seungho POV

Cheondoong had a quick schedule meeting today and we took the chance to plan our own meeting. Everyone was stuffed in our tiny living room: the remainder of mblaq and all of 2ne1.

Chae-rin had her arms around Dara, comforting her when I couldn’t. Minzy casted a strange gaze at the two of them which I couldn’t figure out, but at this point of time I deemed it unimportant. I had long stopped analyzing what conversations went on between women in the flash of an eye. 

“Why is Cheondoong hiding his feelings?” Dara whispered, echoing the thoughts of everyone in the room.

“Why is he hiding,” Mir sobbed out. “Period.” Joon pulled the maknae down into his lap and hugged him tight, silently promising better things.

“One better day~” Joon sung softly into Mir’s ear. I smiled at his poetic attempt to make things better.

“Evidently he feels he interrupted your relationship.” Bom said suddenly, filling the room with her voice as she pointed to Dara and me. “And now he doesn’t want to get in the way, that’s why he’s acting so cheerful, isn’t it?”

It made sense. But somehow it felt too…simple…

“What more can we do now?” G.O voiced his feelings. “We can ask him all we want, but he’s just going to continue pretending everything’s alright.”

“It’s true.” Minzy nodded. “I think the best thing to do is just watch over him.”

Chae-rin looked up from where she cuddled Dara. “I agree Dara.” She said softly. “There’s not much we can do, sweetie.”

“But!” Dara cried out, her eyes red from crying. “I can’t just leave my baby brother alone like that.” She turned to me, eyes wide that begged for support.

“Dara, darling.” I began, clearing my throat. “We won’t be leaving him alone. I agree with everyone. We can only watch over him for now.”

I crawled over to her and knelt in front of her, ignoring how everyone else stared at me. “But I promise,” I said firmly as I took her hand in mine. “I will make sure Cheondoong is all right. After all he’s family to us all as well.”

In the corner of my eye, I saw Chae-rin nod as if satisfied with my answer.

Dara nodded, wiping away her remaining tears. “I suppose that will have to do for now.” She whispered.

“Let’s go back home.” Chae-rin said encouragingly as she pulled Dara to her feet and out to the car. She took one glance back at me and mouthed, I’ll watch over her. Don’t worry.

I nodded gratefully. I would have to text Dara frequently to soothe her mind.

But as I glanced back at the other three members, I knew they shared my doubt. We all loved Cheondoong like a brother, but right now he was a complete stranger to us.

“Cheondoong.” I whispered, leaning my forehead against the wall and banging my fist in frustration. Mir came over and hugged me, lending me his warmth. Then it was Joon who clasped us both. And finally G.O gave in and buried his face in my shoulder.

We were all worried about Cheondoong, all frightened for him.

And yet all we could do was watch. And wait.