D.O.A

Hell To Pay

It was hard getting used to 'living' as an immortal and Moonbyul was trying her hardest not to be annoyed at the simple things she could no longer do or feel. How did Hwasa do it?, although she seemed to be breaking her own rules, especially where contact with mortals was concerned. Punching the code into the keypad next to her new apartment door, she let the door swing open slowly and stood open-mouthed at the fully furnished room in front of her, white carpet spred out for what seemed like miles, the walls a tasteful deep red and every counter top and household item mirrored the clinical white of the floor. She was almost afraid to enter, as if even a foot on the carpet would make a huge mess.

The list in her pocket, like the business card, felt heavy and almost like it was itching to escape, she took out the first and unfolde it to skim read as though she would have a hope of retaining even one of the rules she hadn't already experienced first hand. Folding it up again, she threw it casually onto the table as she crossed the room and heard the door lock click into it's housing. Turning the business card over in her fingers, she was careful not to feel along it but merely let it turn between her fingers as though she was about to do an elaborate magic trick with it.

Another poor soul made their way down the corridor and Hwasa sighed as she finished the new paperwork and sent it to the filing office where the other millions of files on each damned individual was sorted into the appropriate pile and place, they really should have used digital filing like in heaven but this was hell after all so it added to the annoyance of the place immensely. Standing up and clearing loudly, she vanished into thin air and was transported to the surface once more, it was always fun to try and work out exactly where you had arrived as it was always random. This time, rather than an elevator in a fancy building, she seemed to be standing behind a curtain in the changing room of a department store and she hoped it was the women's one or else there would be a lot of tedious explanations.

Opening the curtain and exiting, she almost bumped into a shopper and didn't bat an eye as she was esorted out by the sound of profanity from the woman. Every head turned as she passed and she revelled in it as she had changed with the click of her fingers whilst in the changing room, to a skin tight black dress which rose a long way above her knee. Walking out of the doors to the department store's main entrance, she was about to make her way to her new conquest's apartment when a taxi cab was going much too fast and hit her as she was crossing the street, sighing, she let it hit her and relaxed her body upon impact.

It wasn't the fact that her day had been inconvenienced by the accident or the fuss from the driver and passers by, but the fact that she had to figure out a way to escape before she was taken to hospital, she really didn't want to have to kill anybody but it was becoming increasingly hard with the growing crowd around her. Taking the time to think, she felt herself roll off the hood of the car and hit the asphalt hard, there was obviously no blood and not a single scratch on her which was going to be hard to explain. As the lights flashed and the sirens blared, she was hoisted onto a gurney and did her best to stay absolutely still, eyes wide open as if she had died upon impact instead of already being dead for centuries before.

"There's no pulse, she's gone. Is there any ID on her?, she looks like a cadaver already, not so freshly gone. What do you think?. Kinda reminds me of that time we were called out and somebody had thrown a body from the local college in front of traffic for a movie. Dumb kids!", Hwasa had to hold in her laughter as she listened to the paramedics through the white linen sheet they had just drawn over her face. Thankfully all her business cards and anything that could identify her was back home and so she enjoyed the chatter over her and teh free ride to the morgue. Once there, they took her down and her body was put on the slab for the mortician to examine, surely this was where she was discovered, as the paramedics left him to it, Hwasa could have cursed very loudly, if she'd had time and space, she could have taken care of the one detail the mortician now puzzled over.

"Hmm, may I say Miss Doe, you do make a beautiful corpse as i'm sure you were just as stunning when you were alive. Now let's see, there's no ID, aaaand apparently no Y-incision either?, Oh maybe you died naturally, no need for an autopsy huh?, lucky you!. Alright, let's write you a toe tag just in case you decide to go walkabout again, although now you are one of several 'Jane Doe' in this city alone.". Hwasa had to admit she liked this guy for his sense of humour and she allowed him to half push her into her private little box, until the phone rang, giving her the perfect excuse to get up and make a hasty getaway. Admittedly she hadn't banked on being and trying to navigate around a hospital like this, so the night was going to be adventurous if nothing else.