First Day Nerves

Hell To Pay

The elevator arrived abruptly and the doors opened into a well furnished foyer. It seemed the express elevator to hell was in the usual office space anyone would assume it was, maybe not. With caution Moonbyul stepped out and was glad she had because several executives pushed past her in a hurry to make it on time to some important meeting or other, she turned to admonish them a little too late and she was them check their watches as the polished steel of the doors closed.

Cautious so as not to arouse suspicion, she looked for anything that would point her to where she was or indeed where to begin her reaping. Looking around, she didn't notice the young woman she had bumped into until she looked down and stooped to help her up off of the floor, her coffee spilled in an ever increasing pool around her cup as she grimaced a little at the mess. Moonbyul apologised profusely as she searched for and found a mop leaning against a nearby wall. She quickly cleaned up the mess and bade the woman goodbye as she continued looking around meandering towards what looked like the reception area. A long desk stood proud in welcome and two well dressed employees stood behind it to attention almost, the male employee smiled as she approached and asked if he could be of assistance, to whichshe greeted him and denied any help before exiting the building through the automatic doors which opened inwards.

Stepping out into the bright sunlight, she sighed, even though she could feel the rays hit her retinas, there was no sensation of warmth as there should be. Demons and the dead in general maintained a steady core temperature which hovered somewhere barely above cold but it felt neutral to them. They could feel no heat nor cold and they similarly couldn't feel pain, however they could get injured and so should excercise caution as they made odd patients and offered got quarantined until such time as they could be collected by either a minion of hell or heaven as per thier destiny.

She had been daydreaming about the girl she had almost knocked out when a car horn blared to alert her to the fact she had stepped inadvertently into the road and so she backed onto the kerb again and looked around a little more alert. Someone cleared thier throat next to her and she jumped a little, startled by the proximity. Turning around to look, she smiled as she saw the familiar woman from before, she held her hand out in welcome and tried to introduce herself but she found no words coming out, all the while, the woman stood a little confuse but patient to learn Moonbyul's name.

No ssoner had she started to say her name again than she felt a familiar pull at her navel and she was dragged once again through the earth and landed rather abruptly in an uncomfortable chair in front of Hwasa who was filing her long nails and looking extremely put out that she had to bring Moonbyul back down. Moonbyul looked at her and scowled, she had started to make headway with a very promising girl and now she was stuck here destined never to find her again.

"Miss Moon, I forgot to give you a key piece of advice before you went on your merry way. Oh here is my secratary now with the paperwork of things you can and cannot do whilst on the surface.", a small mouse-like woman handed a small piece of paper over and lingered until she was dismissed in an unnecessarily harsh tone by Hwasa. Moonbyul scanned the paper quickly and stood up before she was forced to sit back down by Hwasa's almost claw like hand as she watched the rustic red tinged skin tessellate to a usual skin tone for a slightly tanned human being.

Lost for words, Moonbyul remained silent until the dead air was pierced by Hwasa's deep drawl as her arm wound around Moonbyul's back and they walked back to the elevator and entered together. "This time, I think I should accompany you to the surface and as they say show you the ropes.". Moonbyul suddenly thought of the pair of impressively ornate wings that adorned Hwasa's back and was about to mention them when she saw them dissolve to a pile of ash on the floor and disappear completely just in time for the bell to chime and signal their arrival in an unfamiliar building much different to the one Moonbyul had first arrived in.

As they walked side-by-side through the entrance, a young woman bowed politely to them and stood open mouthed as she saw Hwasa slink past in a dress barely covering her modesty. A blush appeared on the woman's cheeks and Moonbyul was immediately jealous, Hwasa looked at the woman and smiled as she a finger along her jawline and left with Moonbyul in tow.

"Rule number one, read it aloud please Miss Moon.", Hwasa sounded like the authirty figure she had been down below but to everyone staring at her she just looked haughty and she clearly revelled in her mortal image. Moonbyul clutched the paper to her face and quickly read the first rule so she wouldn't make a fool of herself when she read it aloud.

"Rule one: Never engage in a relationship with a mortal, a mere touch will bring pain to you both.", this rule made Moonbyul a little sad and confused, if they weren't allowed to even touch a mortal, how would she do her job and reap souls?. Another thought occured to her and she voiced it without thinking. "If we can't touch mortals without hurting them then how did you touch that girl and leave her unmarked?", the question illicited a chuckle from Hwasa as she answered.

"Simple Miss Moon, devil's prerogative. I make the rules you see so I hurt whomever I like and save others I really like.".