Faith for a Stranger

Perks of an Unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been days since Chaeyoung last saw the upperclassman in the music room. She hoped dearly that she’d get to hear that wonderful voice up onstage during the auditions – or even better, during the musical play that Chaeyoung was planning on joining.

Even as she sat in her favourite spot at the courtyard, under the humongous tree that always gave her comfort, she couldn’t quite shake off the feeling she had when she first heard Mina sing. Just thinking about it made her involuntarily shiver.

She took her sketchpad out and started sketching a few rough lines, alternating between soft and hard in order to create what she hopes to be a masterpiece. After all, she has found the girl she’s been drawing ever since she started going to school here.

Chaeyoung remembered how it began. Being a freshman wasn’t really all that good, most especially if you’re a short girl like Son Chaeyoung. She got shoved around a lot during rush hours and break time, but she quickly got used to it and tried to manoeuvre herself around the huge crowds. She remembered bumping into a girl, smiling as if it didn’t really bother her.

When she looked up to see a glimpse, however, all she could catch was a thick-framed glasses perched on top of the girl’s nose. Before she could even look at the other girl’s face properly, she was shoved once again and she never found out who she was.

Chaeyoung remembered ranting to her friend Tzuyu about it. She remembers clearly, how she talked the other girl’s ear off – talking about having to look for this girl because she was giving her nightmares.

It’s not like they’re bad, she just kept having dreams of the same blurred out person over and over again that Chaeyoung felt like she had to look for her.

And so this girl became the centre of all of her art pieces. Chaeyoung tried and tried to draw, paint, and embody the beauty that seemed to gravitate towards the mystery girl but she couldn’t.

It came to a point where her friends and family started to wonder if she was ever going to get over this ‘slump’. Even Chaeyoung started to doubt herself at this point.

“Hey.” A girl sat next to Chaeyoung, breaking her train of thought. When Chaeyoung looked up, she saw her childhood friend Tzuyu. “You seem like you’re busy,” Tzuyu starts, her eyes drifting towards the sketchpad on top of Chaeyoung’s lap – evidently surprised that the girl actually managed to draw a face.

“Tzuyu! I found her!” Chaeyoung enthusiastically replies, fingers spinning the pencil around like it was the easiest thing to do. Tzuyu raises her eyebrow skeptically, looking at the portrait being created in front of them. She stared at the details Chaeyoung put in the drawing, how she spotted a mole near the bridge of the nose even when the glasses should have blocked the mark on the skin.

“Beautiful, right?” Chaeyoung asks with a small smile on her face, quite unaware what the feelings she felt meant. Tzuyu nods. It’s not like she liked the girl on the sketchpad as much as her friend did, but she had to admit that she looked breath-taking. Maybe it’s because Chaeyoung poured her heart and soul into creating that portrait, or maybe the girl really is just pretty – she didn’t know. All she knew was that she was starting to grow curious about who this girl could be.

The girl Chaeyoung couldn’t stop dreaming about.

Tzuyu only wants to make sure her best friend gets what she deserves, knowing well how much time and effort she always invested in her art and music right from the start.

She knew how Chaeyoung’s parents are completely against her doing something like this, for they believed that only “science and math” will take you far in this kind of world. She knew that even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter