Don't Trust Yourself When You're Half-Asleep

Perks of an Unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three knocks from the front door resonated throughout the whole house of the Myoui’s household. Kai froze in his position on the couch, his hands suddenly stopping the rhythm game he was playing on his phone. There goes my combo...

He stares at the game, and he thinks that if it could talk, it would have yelled at him by now. What time is it? Kai asked himself, wondering if the visitor who knocked on their door was the girl Mina was expecting. He glanced at the top of his phone to look at the time, only to find out that it was already around lunch time. Where’s Mina? He wonders as he got up to walk towards their front door.

When he opened it, he found quite a small girl wearing a smile. The girl wore shorts and an oversized graphic tee tucked in with the words “Stay Weird” written on it. Her hair was let loose and she carried a backpack that was slung over one of her shoulders. Kai couldn’t help but wonder where Mina ever found an adorable girl like her.

“Hi, I’m Son Chaeyoung…” Chaeyoung starts off a bit awkwardly, fully aware that the person before her is huge and definitely not Mina. Her voice successfully shook Kai from his thoughts as he nodded.

“Myoui Kai,” He replies, his husky voice obviously surprising Chaeyoung a bit. “Come in, come in.”

Chaeyoung smiles out of courtesy and made a little bow, taking her shoes off before she entered the household. Kai gave her a set of slippers to wear and she nodded as a form of gratefulness. She looked around curiously, taking in the fact that Mina’s house was way bigger than hers.

Family photos were framed and hung on the white walls of the house’s halls. Chaeyoung stopped and stared a few times to try and locate Mina, grinning hugely whenever she succeeds in doing so. She followed Kai closely, trying to get a feel of the place before Kai suddenly turned to see her.

“You can sit over there,” Kai gestures towards the couch he was occupying before Chaeyoung arrived. Chaeyoung nodded a bit timidly, trying her best to be respectful towards the older guy. Kai let a small smile graze his face before he turned towards the kitchen. “I’ll get you a drink.” He mutters, to which Chaeyoung replied with a hum of acknowledgement while she looked around the living room. “Oh, and Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung whipped her head towards Kai, watching as the man flashed a small smile. “Don’t be shy.”

Chaeyoung laughs for a bit before replying. “I’ll try…”

Kai watched as she made her way towards the living room, sitting down on the comfortable beige couch. Once he sees her settle down, he made his way towards the kitchen and brought out the pitcher of juice. He poured in a glass and hummed a tune, wondering why the hell Mina wasn’t up yet.

When he came back to Chaeyoung, the younger girl was staring at the Fender guitar standing at the corner of the room.

“You play?” Kai asks, deciding to start up a conversation. Chaeyoung nods, her eyes looking up to thank Kai as he hands her the glass of orange juice.

“It looks so cool,” Chaeyoung says, her eyes wandering back to the arctic white electric guitar. Kai smiles while he looks at the younger girl, clearly seeing a little bit of him when he was younger in her.

“You can play it if you want,” Kai offers, watching as Chaeyoung’s eyes suddenly started gleaming. “There’s a pick behind the head. It’s in the pick holder.” Chaeyoung nodded a bit enthusiastically, standing up and rushing towards the Squier.

She sat in front of Kai, her fingers gliding over the well-maintained rosewood fingerboard of the white guitar. She admired it dearly, seeing as it was her dream guitar when she was younger. She plucked each string with her fingers to check if it was in tune, satisfied when she couldn’t hear a single bad note coming from the strings.

She didn’t even need an amplifier, for she was satisfied with simply playing the guitar this way. She reached out to pull the pick from the holder and started to glide her fingers over the frets of the guitar, playing the intro to ‘Can’t Stop’ by Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

She suddenly stopped, whipping her head to see Kai’s satisfied expression. “If you don’t mind me asking, who owns this?” She asks, genuinely curious.

“It’s our dad’s.” Kai answers in a short manner. “He’s had it for twelve years now, and he treats it like a baby.” Kai shakes his head with a smile, laughing to himself.

Chaeyoung froze, suddenly realizing the worth of the guitar in her hands.

The two were silent for a while. Kai glanced at the wall clock above the television and decided that it was time for him to leave before he steals Chaeyoung away from Mina.

“I hate to break this conversation off, but I have to go somewhere.” Kai stands up and takes Chaeyoung’s empty glass. “And if you’re wondering, I’m Mina’s brother.”

Chaeyoung nods slowly, w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter