12. Confessions From a Confused Girl to an Old Man.

Perks of an Unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn’t take long for Kai to arrive. He looked around the house only to see that it was exactly the same from when he left except for a pair of shoes that belonged to Chaeyoung.

It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Mina with Chaeyoung. Their whole family knows about Mina’s uality, and recalling the memory of when Mina came out to them brought a smile on Kai’s lips.

The event itself was pretty unexpected. It was their first family dinner after a really long time, since Kai had just graduated and was busy looking into universities while their parents were swept up with different paperwork that left their family to little and almost no time for each other.

Kai remembered how their table felt full that night. He saw how their parents were letting loose for the first time in forever in front of them and it made him want to go back to that night. Myoui Sachiko and Myoui Akira are naturally playful parents, for Kai remembers how much they for possibly never having a girlfriend in his life.

At that time, Mina was an open book to her parents. She smiled when it made her happy, frowned when things made her upset and even cried when it made her sad. Kai remembers how their parents shifted their attention from Kai to Mina, starting to about getting a boyfriend too.

“Mina, dear, are there any handsome boys around your school?” Sachiko asks, a playful glint in her eyes.

“I don’t want her to meet those ‘handsome’ boys. If they’re not as handsome as me, they don’t pass at all!” Akira jokes, taking a sip from his champagne flute.

“Ah, but mom, dad, I don’t find anyone handsome. I’m gay.”

Their dad doing a spit take was probably the funniest thing Kai has ever seen. The way the usually composed man did an incredibly embarrassing action would forever be burned in his mind. Kai looked at Mina who wore a shocked look on her face too; as if she couldn’t believe that she just came out to her whole family.

Their mom laughed, almost shoving a table napkin towards Akira. “I knew, Minari…” She winks towards Mina, who was starting to look too red. “Do you think all that ‘love’ you give to your anime wives would go unnoticed to me?” She flashed a faux look of offense through her face before continuing. “I’m your mother!” She gasps dramatically.

Mina chuckled nervously, her eyes shifting from her mom to her dad – who was still wiping stains of champagne off his dress shirt.

“I… I don’t mind this revelation.” Akira states, a small smile starting to play across his lips. “I just wish you didn’t tell me while I was drinking champagne… ah, my favourite shirt.”

Kai almost burst out laughing as he clutched his stomach out of amusement. The whole situation was too surreal to be true.

Kai knows that ever since that day, they stopped teasing Mina about getting a boyfriend. In fact, they started teasing her with every girl they see whenever the family goes out.

When Kai first heard Mina was having a friend other than Sana coming over, the whole family was ecstatic. Akira and Sachiko bombarded their poor daughter with questions, to which Mina could only avert her eyes and stay silent as an answer. She did not want anyone in her family knowing about her huge crush on Chaeyoung.

“Mina? I’m home.” Kai calls out, contemplating whether he should check on the two or let them be.

“Chaeyoung, stop eating! I’m not yet done cooking!” Kai heard his sister’s voice coming from the kitchen. He strode towards the source.

“But, it’s delicious…” Chaeyoung pouts, babying her hand that Mina swatted earlier.

“Delicious, sure, but it’s uncooked.” Mina scolds, wiping her hands on her apron. Kai walked in the kitchen, not knowing what he was expecting. He found Mina cooking dinner with Chaeyoung walking around her aimlessly, clearly seeing that Chaeyoung couldn’t stay still.

The rain was still raging outside, but it wasn’t as hard as earlier. Still, Kai knew that it was way too late for a young girl like Chaeyoung to travel in – which is why he was relieved when he found out that Chaeyoung was going to spend the night in their house.

Okay, maybe he wasn’t fully relieved. Since he knew about Mina’s uality, he couldn’t stop thinking that something might happen between her and Chaeyoung if they stay in the same room. He’s not being erted, no – as Mina’s older brother, he just couldn’t help but feel overprotective over his younger sister who’s still a baby in his eyes.

He wasn’t going to give Chaeyoung a hard time just for that, though. In fact, he feels like he might have to protect Chaeyoung from their parents later.

“Ah, Kai.” Mina says without a trace of shock on her voice. Chaeyoung froze in her track to turn towards Kai in a mechanical manner.

“G-Good evening.” She bowed in a formal way, still feeling a bit uneasy around the older guy. She gets back up just in time to see Kai nod towards her.

“What are you guys cooking?” He asks, making his way towards the wok over the high flames of the stove. “Are you sure it’ll be enough for five people?” He asks mostly Mina, his eyebrows rising in question.

“Yeah,” Mina replies, wiping the sweat that was forming on her forehead. “Just a simple stir-fried noodles.”

Kai hums in acknowledgement. “I’ll be in my room, then. You guys be careful.” He turns to leave, flashing both Mina and Chaeyoung a small smile. “Oh, Mina – message me if mom and dad’s home.”

Mina hums, letting Kai know that she heard. The whole time, Chaeyoung watched the exchange between the two – not sure whether the two have a close relationship or a bad one. The two chat about their thoughts on the musical play they were going to do, since they already received the scripts and the songs for it.

Since for the first time, a student wrote the play, the songs weren’t exactly originals. They were songs from known artists and musicals with a few words and notes changed in order to fit the mood and the events in the play.

They found out that the script and the concept was writ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter