One True Pair [part 2]

Kay's Random Oneshot Collection

Kyungsoo swung open the front door to his home, revealing his friend standing before him with a bottle and a bouquet. I could see that he was utterly dumbfounded.

"Jongin?" he sputtered, almost tripping on the step as he inched towards me. There was a sudden hard lump in my throat, restricting me from speaking properly.

"Um, I," my stuttering only made things worse, causing Kyungsoo to roll his eyes. I looked down at the items in my hands, instantly regretting my decision

"Please explain this," he said coldly, sending a shiver down my spine and urging me to speak up.

"I really like you Kyungsoo," I blurted out, my cheeks growing warm. "And I think we belong together." 

Kyungsoo's round eyes stared at me in shock. His mouth was slightly open, as though words were meant to escape but they never did.

"And Chanyeol said that you were a sap for these so I grabbed some on the way here," I held up the flowers, offering them to him. "So, will you give me a chance?"

"Kim Jongin," a smile tugged at his lips, "the student is too good for anyone or anything, wants to date ME?"

I grinned at him, expecting a positive response, but I was only met with teasing laughter.

"How can you expect me to believe that that's true?" he scoffed me, and my heart shattered.

"But-"

"Listen, it'll take a lot to win me, but I'm willing to play along," he gave me a slanted smile, making my hopes soar through the roof.

"Great," gesturing towards the door, I began my plan for our big date. "This wine is for later, store it inside in your fridge."

"In my fridge?" he refused to grab the bottle. "Are you insane?! If my parents find that, they'll kill us both!"

With a sigh, I held tightly onto the bottle, assuming it'd be fine in my car. With my free hand, I grabbed Kyungsoo and led the way to my red Nissan parked at the end of his driveway. As we walked, Kyungsoo changed from being cold to being positively glowing. He leaned down and inhaled the sweet scent wafting off of the roses.

A short drive led us to the local park at the edge of town. The beautiful weather made it a perfect place for a date, and despite the setting, not many other peole had the same idea as I had, so luckily it wasn't very crowded. I grinned at the sight and slid my sunglasses over my eyes, before grabbing Kyungsoo's hand. I looked over at him with a smirk before gently kissing his hand, causing him to giggle and shake his head before yanking his hand away and exiting the vehicle. I reached to the back seat and grabbed a plush blanket and a cloth bag filled with snacks before exiting my car, locking it up behind me.

As we walked, I handed Kyungsoo the blanket to carry to our date spot. As he had it resting in his arm, my empty hand grasped the hand resting at his side. He turned to me and gasped in shock before cracking a gentle smile and squeezing my hand tightly. Our arms swung back and forth in sync with each step.

The date passed peacefully with the two of us simply sitting under a shady tree, nibbling on crackers and small peanut butter sandwiches. We talked about life and our personal beliefs, as well as the rumors at school and our own feelings to eachother. Surprisingly, he had developed minor feelings towards me, but they were only slight attractions. Therefore, it was my job to develop them further.

As the sun grew hotter, we decided to walk to a nearby ice cream shop, each ordering a single cup of ice cream to cool ourselves off before returning to my car.

"Since we can't hang out at your house because of your parents, let's go to my home, okay?" I suggested as I unlocked my car and slid into the driver's seat. Kyungsoo plopped down into the seat beside me and quietly clicked on his seat belt before turning towards me and giving me a quick nod. After getting that response, I quickly pulled out of the parking space by the park and drove off towards my apartment. I was one of the few students at the high school who had already moved out of my parents house. The apartment that I had rented out was small and cheap, but it was home nevertheless.

Once at my apartment, we sat together in my living room, huddling up on the sofa with a glass of warm wine each. Just the fact that my stupid decision had led to heated wine caused Kyungsoo to go into a fit of giggles without even taking a sip. After a few glasses, the mood had completly changed. While I was still as relaxed as ever, Kyungsoo never stopped smiling. 

"Jongin," he said before letting out a cute hiccup, "you're really really really hot. Like the sun."

I had to hold out my arm to catch him as he leaned sideways in a drunken state. This wasn't entirely my plan, but I did like where it was going. For the first time ever, Kyungsoo was treating me like more than an acquaintance. However, I did not want to take advantage of his current weakness. My decision was instead to lead him to my bedroom and lay him on my disorderly bed.

"Ooooh, Jongin," he slurred, giggling like a teenage girl. Then he began trying to remove his t-shirt.

"No no no, Kyungsoo stop," I freaked out and yanked his shirt back over his head. "We're not doing anything. You're too drunk. Just rest, okay?"

"Bummer," he sighed and flopped back onto the matress, his breathing become slightly heavier and slower in pace. Could he had fallen asleep that quick? I moved to pull him up, closer to the head board, so his feet wouldn't dangle off of the edge, but he laughed right when I reached under his arms to lift him up. I immediately pulled away.

"Kyungsoo, come on, let's lay down together," I said to the drunk boy giggling in my bed. He made a erted comment under his breath and reluctantly rolled over, crawling to towards the pillows by the headboard. "Sit tight right there, okay? I'll go get some water and snacks so we won't feel so terrible later."

"Okay Jongin," he responded in a y tone, twirling his bangs with his finger before covering his face with a small pillow.

As I walked to the kitchen I found myself regretting the wine. I could tell he enjoyed it, but it released a completely different side of Kyungsoo. A side that I feel like I was not obliged to witness. Nevertheless, he was under my care now and his health and safety was hanging over my head. I knew that if I left him in that state, his parents would probably do severe harm to him, mental, emotional, and physical. My job was to take care of him.

I filled a platter with two glasses, a pitcher of ice water, two packets of crackers, and a fresh bunch of grapes. I thought he would appreciate the choices I made, if he was sober. I carefully carried the tray into my bedroom and set it on the bedside table.

Kyungsoo's heavy, peaceful breathing had returned, yet this time it seemed more genuine. I examined his resting body, watching his chest move up and down with each breath. Occasionaly he would begin snoring quietly, only for it to fade out into silence.

Without thinking, I crawled into the bed beside Kyungsoo. My movements were slow and quiet, in order to keep him sleeping peacefully. As I slid in beside him, he sensed movement and stirred slightly, turning his body more towards me and slinging an arm over my stomach. A jolt was sent up my spine as I had never experienced such a intimate moment with him. His arm was close to my beltline, causing my heart to pick up in speed.

However, I managed to fight the urge. I grabbed Kyungsoo's arm and lifted it before setting it further up my chest in a more comfortable spot. While there was still tension from simply being so close the man I had a huge crush on, I would much rather lay beside him in that innocent manner. It was peaceful to be beside his resting body as his chest moved up and down to the pace of his breathing. Soon enough, I had fallen asleep as well.

 

Hours had passed before we were stirred awake by the sound of Kyungsoo's phone ringing loudly from his back pocket. He bolt upright, violently patting himself to find his phone before yanking it out of his pocket and fumbling with the buttons.

"Hello?" his voice was tired and slightly slurred. "What, mom, stop shouting, gosh it's like 6 in the morning, people are trying to sleep." I glanced at my clock; it was 6pm. I knew I had to take control so I grabbed the phone from Kyungsoo, receiving a shout of protest in response.

"I'm sorry, is this Kyungsoo's mother?" I asked once I had the phone up to my ear.

"Yes, who is this?"

"My name is Kim Jongin, Kyungsoo's friend. I'm sorry ma'am, me and Kyungsoo went to spend a day at the park and he kind of got tired from all the sun so I let him take a nap in my car. I had no clue that we were out for so long."

"Oh.. it's fine. Make sure he's home by 8 so he won't miss dinner," she hung up as though she were in a hurry, forbidding me from even uttering another word.

"Come on Kyungsoo, let's take you home."

 

It took a while for me to carry a sleep Kyungsoo out to my car, but by 7 o' clock, we were outside of the Do house. The boy in the passenger seat had snoozed off during the drive, a carton of banana milk dangling precariously from his mouth by the straw. I removed the drink, causing him to open his eyes and look at me. The late afternoon shone on his face, causing him to cringe from the brightness.

"Jongin," his voice sounded almost like a moan, but then he cleared his throat and continued in his normal voice. "Thank you for today. I had fun."

"I had fun too, Kyungsoo," I grinned, and then remembered the whole purpose of this date. "So? What do you say?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you remember? I really like you, and I want you to give me a chance, so, will you?" Kyungsoo stared into space, examining the reflection in my rearview mirror.

"I think I will," he offered me a wide grin and I returned it kindly. "I like you a lot too." After a short moment of silence, he surprised me with a question. "Can I kiss you before I leave?"

I was dumbfounded, but he didn't give me a chance to answer, for he had gripped the sides of my head and tugged me towards him, planting his soft lips on mine. The kiss was sweeter than honey and more special than any gift in the world.

"Bye Jongin," Kyungsoo said teasingly after pulling away. He hopped out of the car and skipped to his front door, never looking back. I could tell that he was smiling the whole time.

Nevertheless, it had come true. We were certainly one true pair.