The Subway Guy (Final)

The Subway Guy

It’s been three weeks now since I’ve actually been excited to go to work. Sadly, it is not my job that is making my life a better place, rather it is the commute. Who would be happy to spend thirty minutes stuck in a sweaty subway, you may ask. Me. I would.

I remember that one Tuesday morning when I first saw him. It was quite the chance meeting as I clumsily ran into him, an unsuspecting citizen as he was hurriedly pressing buttons on his iPhone 6. “!” I exclaimed, falling on my right in front of him. I could hear a deep sigh coming from the other party as he sympathetically looked me up and down mentally debating if I needed any help. Just as he was reaching his hand out, I’ve already gotten up myself and was brushing off my clothes.

Are you alright?” He asked me his voice uninterested but still fulfilling his duty as a polite citizen. I couldn’t help but check out this character in front of me. His hair was strawberry pink if that’s an actual colour but most of it was hidden behind a black beanie. His most prominent feature was his sad, hooded eyes which attracted my sight but as soon as my eyes met his, I turned away my cheeks now resembling his hair colour.

I’m alright. Thanks anyway.” I smiled shyly and then immediately fled the scene, my heart racing and leaving behind a slightly confused male.

The next day I somehow found myself scanning the faces in the subway station searching for him. Soon enough my eyes landed on him as I noticed his well-worn sneakers stomping down the steps that led underground. Around his neck he wore some expensive looking headphones, his phone tightly clutched in his hand. And his eyes. Oh, his eyes looked so sad.

Now that I wasn’t dying of embarrassment I could observe him more closely. Now I noticed his extremely pale skin that looked almost translucent and the dark circles under his eyes. I wondered if he actually slept. The clothes he wore seemed to hand of his body like a hanger and admittedly I felt a little jealous of how thin his legs looked in those black skinny jeans he wore.

It seemed that he sensed my intense stare and looked up in my direction and it took way too much effort to peel my eyes away from him. A relieved breath left my chest when I noticed him looking back down in my peripheral vision. I continued to steal glances at him. He was a lantern and I was a lost moth drawn to his glow. I couldn’t find an explanation for this little fascination but I wasn’t trying very hard.

I almost missed my train that day.

This continued like that up until now. I would be at the station at precisely 7.35am, give or take a few minutes, my heart bouncing up and down inside my chest as I’d nervously look around. He was never there that early but I always looked. Just in case. When I didn’t see him there my eyes became transfixed on the stairway leading down into the line while I feigned boredom. He’d usually come ten minutes later always wearing the same tired and worn-down look on his face. My eyes would then casually follow him like it was the most natural thing to do.

In this time I’d learn to read his body a bit better. I could see when he was having a good morning because then in his eyes you could see and excided glint and he’d walk with his back straighter. If it was a bad day his pink lips would be pressed together in a frown and he would stomp all over the place with his shoulders hunched up making his frame look even smaller than it already was. I liked to make up scenarios about what had happened to make his day so good or bad. Did he sleep in? Maybe stepped in water while wearing his socks? Did he scald his tongue with his coffee? Did he even drink coffee?

Once he’d settle down he’d put on his headphones, there was never a day when he didn’t have them, and pull out his phone. He then proceeded to typing passionately on his phone. He’d completely change when that happened. There would be a fire in his eyes and he’d become so attractive. Not that he wasn’t attractive before but that sight seemed somehow intimate. And whenever he was concentrating really hard, he’d stick his tongue out a little bit just like a puppy.

I always had to leave before him, leaving him standing there in his own little world which by my guess was filled with music.

I wondered if I had fallen for him. Can you even fall for someone you don’t know? I sighed while waiting for his frame to appear as every morning. Now even my friends were starting to make fun of me. I had accidentally mentioned this unhealthy preoccupation to one of my friends and now I couldn’t hear the end of it. “Just go talk to him. It’s no biggie,” I mocked Jimin under my breath. Yeah right, how can I do that when someone is so far out of my league?

Just as I was thinking that ever so familiar face appeared in my line of vision. He’s here, I thought. But his washed out pink hair was now bleached white and honestly my heart stopped for a moment. Thankfully I wasn’t the only one staring blatantly at his new hairstyle. He had also attracted attention from some old ladies that weren’t too fond of his appearance and didn’t hesitate to voice their opinions loudly. Only reaction they got from him though was a grimace and a roll of his eyes.

 Omg, he’s dyed his hair. I REPEAT: HE’S DYED hiS HAIR!!?! I’m dYIng I texted to my friend.

I stg just go talk to him or ill kill you I got a response back almost immediately. It had become our routine to text in the mornings while I was waiting for my train.

I CANT!!! He literally looks like an angel :// I texted back while pouting.

JUST ING DO IT OR ILL TELEPORT OVER THERE AND KICK YOUR !!!!( but like really worst that can happen is rejection but at least ur heart will be calm)) I giggled at Jimin’s response but decided that he was right.  I needed to woman up and confess because this staring thing was on the verge of stalkerish.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes while calming myself. You can do it, trust Shia Labeouf, I told myself. Suddenly, I heard footsteps approaching me. I opened my eyes curiously. It was him. The Subway Guy in all his mightiness his blonde hair blinding my eyes.

Min Yoongi,” he extended his palm in my direction. My eyes kept moving from his face to his hand and back. I couldn’t believe this was happening. Just as he started to let his hand down I grabbed it, surprising myself, and shook it.

Uh.. he..llo!” I stuttered out, my voice gone and my cheeks coloured scarlet.

So, I’ve noticed you’ve been staring at me quite a lot recently.” He casually spat out as if it was no big deal but now the blush had spread all over my face.

Oh, God! I’m sorry.. I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable just.. uhh… well…sorry…” my voice slowly disappeared in utter and total humiliation.

And then he laughed. His smile was all pink gums and small white teeth and it was beautiful. Despite this situation I found myself smiling along to him.

You’re just too cute.” He said. “Truth is: I’ve been watching you too. Since our little run in I’ve been keeping my eye on you. I guess I hoped you’d come and talk to me but it never happened.” Now it was his time to blush. I felt like such a moron at that moment. Jimin was right all along.

After that we fell into a bit of an awkward silence. Determined to break it I opened my mouth “Can I have your number?” I blurted out quickly before my confidence dissipated.

He smiled again “Only if you promise to stop staring at me from the other side of the station like a creep.”

I missed my train.   

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was my pathetic attempt at sorta fluff. Latley, I've had problems with getting anything compleated so I'm quite proud with having finished this even if I know it needs quite a bit of polishing. 

Anyway I hope this brought me out of my writers block and that you enjoyed it <3