chapter 2: complete me

is there somewhere?

but your lips hang heavy underneath me.

and i promised myself i wouldn’t let you complete me.

 

the sun shone too bright for someone with a developing hangover, rays finding their way between the pastel pink blinds that only barely covered wheein’s bedroom window. her face scrunched up in distaste, eyes closed, as she turned away from the light, letting the warmth caress her instead. the gradually increasing pounding in her skull made it hard to fall back asleep, so wheein just laid there for a while, blankets covering her from the waist down. when she felt like she would not retch immediately after the soles of her feet reached the floor, she pushed herself up, covering her torso with the blanket. she blinked away the headache, the light, and the loud sounds coming from the bustle outside of her apartment – not like she had much of a choice; her eyes could barely open, although they did just enough for her to realize that she was alone in her room.

 

wheein ran a hand through chestnut brown locks, wincing as she pulled her fingers down to untangle her unkempt curls. when her hand landed on the other side of the bed, she felt paper sticking onto her sweaty palm. her fingers crumpled the piece of paper even further as she lazily picked it up to read.

 

thanks for last night. xo

 

the first thought to wander into her groggy train of thought was to buy more white paper, and less colored ones. the paper in her hand was a shade of mint green. it took a few more moments before wheein realized who the handwriting belonged to, and her eyes widened, her thoughts suddenly way too awake for someone with a hangover.

 

wheein bit her lower lip as she read the four word in her hand over and over again, but was unable to suppress the imminent smile that graced her lips.

 

 

“you don’t even know her.”

 

wheein was sitting on the couch, knees pulled up close to her chest, while hyejin made coffee in the tiny kitchen behind her. it was a little after ten in the morning, and a little after an hour just after wheein woke up. thankfully, she did not end up rushing to the bathroom immediately after getting up as the giddiness she felt in her whole system seemed to keep her dinner in her stomach, and rightfully so. instead, she messaged hyejin, her beloved best friend who had to come over asap because i have something important to tell you also i feel like i’m going to die so please bring advil thank you.

 

“well, what do you think i’m doing now?” wheein replied almost matter of factly, turning to rest her chin on the back of her couch so she could look at her friend, study the facial expressions that clearly told her that what she was doing was an extremely bad idea.

 

hyejin heaved an exasperated sigh as she poured coffee into two mugs on the counter. “sleeping with her does not equal getting to know her,” she said. “you know that right?”

 

with a tiny pout, wheein defended, “i’m getting to know her in some other way.”

 

“wheein.”

 

“look,” wheein added quickly when hyejin looked at her with a gaze so piercing, she felt like it went right through her soul. wheein did a lot of troublesome things, thus the face that hyejin was making at that very moment was not new to her. “i’m taking things slow.”

 

she slid back down to a normal sitting position, letting her legs dangle off the edge of her worn-out but decidedly comfortable loveseat, feeling her toes grazing the soft rug. hyejin walked over to the couch, placing one of the mugs on the coffee table that rested between the couch and the rarely used television. she sat beside wheein, fingers curled onto the handle of her own mug. “you’re taking things slow.”

 

it was not a question. “yeah,” wheein replied simply, reaching out to pick up the mug in front of her. there was smoke emanating from it, and she blew lightly.

 

“you’re taking things slow by sleeping with her,” hyejin spoke slowly, clarifying. “barely exchanging more than a few words, then ing the night away.”

 

“that’s right.” wheein took a sip, regretting it almost instantly as the coffee burned her upper lip, her tongue especially, and . she was not going to admit, however, that she felt a peculiar sense of comfort from the pain despite the fact that she might not be able to properly feel her tongue for a day or two.

 

hyejin hummed. in thought? perhaps, but definitely not in approval. her lips rested on the edge of the mug, her bright, red lipstick leaving a bloody mark on the pristine porcelain. she studied wheein’s face; she looked so young, and so fragile, and oh so inexplicably dumb, but hyejin knew better than to underestimate her best friend and her eccentric ways and thought process. “as long as you know what you’re doing.”

 

wheein offered the other girl a smile, one that proved  that she was strong enough to handle herself. “i do,” she said – lied. “don’t worry.”

 

and while hyejin had heard the exact words from wheein before, she still could not help but worry a little bit. but she quietly pressed the mug harder against her lips, holding herself back from saying any more, and concentrated on the warmth of the coffee as it poured down .

 

 

once more the night greeted wheein with flashing, multi-colored lights, and the deafening sound of the bass resonating through the crowded dance floor. when hyejin left with a warning, leaving wheein to contemplate about the many bad decisions she made in her life, she decided it would not hurt too much to make another one. pounding headache and bright pink stilettos, wheein wandered into the club immediately the next night in the hopes of pursuing the stunning disc jockey once more.

 

it was not hard to find byulyi’s schedule, considering the club was pretty well-known, and so was she. it only took wheein about ten minutes on the internet to check if the disc jockey from the night before would be performing another set at the same club, and another two minutes to make sure by checking the club’s twitter feed and facebook page. sure enough, byulyi was the center of attention once again.

 

wheein arrived a little after ten in the evening, gaining easy access to the club by wearing an outfit that was borderline provocative, but kept her eccentric down-to-earth style – tight floral mini skirt that outlined her hips, and black bustier crop top that showed enough of her waist to leave everyone she passed by gaping at the sight of her. it also helped that she was a regular at the club, and had a naturally friendly nature, constantly making conversation with bouncers and bartenders.

 

it was a little too early for byulyi’s set to end, but wheein was in no hurry at all. she strutted toward the bar, taking a seat on one of the stools, and asked for a much stronger drink than her usual --  a white russian with an extra shot. she needed a confidence boost, feeling her heart pounding in time with the rhythm of the music. while she had been successful at snagging the girl of her dreams the previous night, wheein was completely unsure if heaven would bestow the same feat to her this time.

 

but she had plenty of time right now, was contented with gradually taking sips from her cocktail, deep brown eyes on the podium where the dj stood – beautiful, breathtaking, alive.

 

 

while wheein was on her third drink, a typical mojito now, to pass the time and calm her nerves, she had not noticed that byulyi’s set had ended earlier than usual, and another dj was keeping the club alive. it was just a little after midnight, and she had taken one sip of her current drink. despite having already loosened up a bit after her second drink, with no intention of getting completely wasted tonight, wheein felt complied to order a third one – just in case.

 

at this point, byulyi had already made herself across the club, settling on a seat beside wheein, ordering herself two shots of tequila, the kind that had a hint of coffee in it. while the bartender prepared her drink, byulyi’s eyes wandered, wanting to observe the night life – only her gaze had almost immediately landed on the girl that sat quietly beside her. it took a moment of staring, and wheein looking up to meet her gaze, for her to realize who it was.

 

and what they did.

 

byulyi could feel her cheeks warming up as she grew flustered at the sight of the girl, and the way her outfit hugged the shape of her body. when the bartender placed byulyi’s shots in front of her, she immediately gulped down one, letting the heat spread to the rest of her body.

 

before wheein could speak, byulyi had managed to silence her with a cheerful, “hi!”

 

while this might be a good sign for wheein, byulyi suppressed the urge to close her eyes, and redo her greeting with a forced act of aloofness. it was too late now, though, as an acknowledging smile had already formed on the other girl’s lips –

 

and suddenly there was only wheein, and no one else in the jam-packed club on a saturday night.

 

“hi,” wheein replied, an airy chuckle escaping. “you’re here.” wheein felt like an idiot for saying that because, of course, byulyi worked there, and so she tried again, rephrasing, “i meant here. at the bar.” that was no better, she decided. “can i buy you a drink?”

 

byulyi grinned, for some reason quite happy at this encounter. she lifted the other shot of tequila from the bar. “fine for now, but thanks.” she gulped her last shot down, and placed the glass back on the table. “i didn’t expect you to be here two consecutive nights.” the expression on wheein’s face turned confused, her smile diminishing into a tiny yet hesitant upward curving of her lips. byulyi quickly added, defensive and embarrassed, “i-i’m quite pleased about it. it’s nice seeing you again.”

 

this time wheein laughed, and despite the loud music blaring all around them,  byulyi could hear the laugh quite clearly, and felt her heart fluttering. it was a unique laugh, and byulyi wanted to hear it again. and again. and again.

 

“had nothing to do at home, so.” wheein lifted her glass of mojito from the bar counter, stared into it for a while before taking a sip. she looked like she was deep in thought for a brief moment, biting onto her bottom lip. byulyi stared, mouth slightly agape as she forgot how to breathe. their eyes met again, and while byulyi wanted to look away, act casually, she found it quite hard to.

 

byulyi noticed that the girl had lost the certainty that simply exuded from her the night before. even though she had suddenly lost the self-assured image, byulyi felt very drawn to her, and unconsciously leaned closer as she spoke. “you okay?” like this, byulyi could scrutinize the girl’s expressions more clearly – the way her eyes naturally sparkled, and how she her lips before she answered. byulyi preferred this, she decided – wheein looked more natural, approachable.

 

“yeah,” wheein replied. “definitely. are you okay?”

 

“why wouldn’t i be?” byulyi asked playfully, her smile a bit teasing. especially now i know you’re here, she wanted to add, but she had not had enough drinks for her thoughts to let loose completely.

 

with a nod of the head, wheein turned back to her drink. she wanted to take byulyi home.

 

no.

 

she wanted to take byulyi everywhere – on dates, and walks, and to faraway places where they could be alone. why did wheein have to rely so much on nights like these, so worrisome and troublesome and complicated, to be able to have the one person she wanted in her arms? despite the fact that byulyi already sat beside her at this moment, wheein began to have second thoughts about pursuing the girl. hyejin’s words echoed in her thoughts, and her head started to hurt again; the loud music not helping the migraine that had returned.

 

wheein felt a hand on her shoulder, making her look up curiously – only to feel soft lips press against hers, familiar ones that made her heart beat so hard she began to feel it in her ears. when the fog of disorientation cleared up, and her eyes focused again, byulyi stood in front of her, looking apologetic.

 

there was a moment of awkward silence between them – wheein’s eyes on the girl who looked away.

 

“sor—”

 

before byulyi could finish, come to the conclusion that this night was different, that wheein had only looked for a one-night stand, the same lips were back on hers. there was no time to think, and although byulyi still felt conflicted, her hands made their way to the curve of wheein’s waist, fingers feeling the warmth of the exposed skin. the kiss was rough, but had a certain recognizable intimacy and longing that byulyi – and even wheein – had only felt when their lips touched.

 

it did not take long for them to reach wheein’s apartment, the glass of mojito half-full and forgotten on the bar counter. they stumbled into the bedroom, hastily kicking of heels, and hands wandering back to the same places they had discovered the previous night.

 

tonight, there was only them.

 

once more.

 

 

a/n: i apologize for the slow updates. i felt totally unmotivated, but suddenly wheebyul muse came slapping me right across the face. expect faster updates! don't worry if you're confused. back stories will be written for the next chapters, so hang tight!