Hollow Point

And the Last Shall Be First

“Turn left in point one miles,” the robotic female voice announced through Kyuhyun’s navigation device.

 

He made the turn and looked down the street, making sure there were no cop cars. He had seen one under the orange glow of a street light a few blocks back.

 

This was his last delivery for the night. He had been driving around town all evening and night, only going back to his house to restock for the next set of deliveries. The crew leader had set his own schedule, not allowing himself to work more than ten hours a day to prevent burnout. His customers would have to wait until the next afternoon to get their fix.

 

Kyuhyun parked next to the curb of the sloped residential street. He walked up to the porch of the address he was given where a full-framed man wearing a black snapback hat waited on the concrete steps. He stood up and motioned for Kyuhyun.

 

“Are you Kyu?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Great. My friend, Tablo sent you here. Come inside.”

 

“No. Out here’s fine.”

 

“Okay. I just thought that you might want to get to know your customer.”

 

“I have your number. That’s enough.”

 

The man pulled out the money he had ready for the purchase. He extended it to Kyuhyun and pulled it back teasingly when Kyuhyun reached for it. Kyuhyun glared at his new customer.

 

“Just kidding. Here you go.” He gave Kyuhyun the money and received a small, black paper bag in return.

 

Kyuhyun continued to glare at him. He wanted to throw a right hook at the man’s chubby cheek but he resisted the urge. ‘It’s best to just call it a night. -motherer is lucky I’m too tired for hell.’ Kyuhyun watched him turn his back and retreat into his house.

 

The guy gave him a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach. Kyuhyun was used to coming into contact with other dealers and drug addicts but it was different this time. He made a mental note to put him on the no-repeat-business list.

 

Kyuhyun shook the uneasiness off and turned to go back to his car. At the same time, a black SUV rounded the corner.

 

There wasn’t any other traffic on the roads to speak of. All activity had ceased hours ago and Heechul doubted he would have another opportunity like this.

 

He rolled the rear passenger side window down as his SUV slowed to a crawling pace next to Kyuhyun’s -out Civic. Heechul fired three consecutive shots at Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun ducked for cover behind his car. He reached behind his back and grabbed his gun. He resurfaced when he heard his assailant’s car speeding away. He fired at the SUV on instinct.

 

Leeteuk managed to drive off some distance but he was having a hard time controlling the SUV as Kyuhyun had hit the back tire on the right hand side, blowing it to shreds. It swerved and clanked clumsily, making it impractical to remain in the vehicle.

 

The three men jumped out of the SUV, abandoning it halfway on the sidewalk, halfway on the side of the road. They scattered in various directions as they heard sirens wailing close by.

 

‘Damn, they make good time when you least expect them to,’ Leeteuk thought as he made a mad dash for the nearest alley. He watched a police car speed by from behind the dumpster in the alley. He stayed crouching silently, letting several minutes go by.

 

Deciding the coast was clear, Leeteuk came out of his hiding spot in the alley. He looked both ways and crossed the street nonchalantly.

 

He was calmly making his way down the sidewalk, planning to find Heechul and Kangin, when a cop car rounded the corner and followed slowly behind. ‘! Play it cool. Play it cool.’ He thought that the officer might leave him alone if he acted like a regular citizen strolling down the sidewalk even though it was almost 3AM.

 

The police officer pulled up next to him and shone a flashlight in Leeteuk’s face. Leeteuk shielded his eyes from the bright light.

 

“Hey, buddy, let me talk to you for a second,” the officer called out. Leeteuk’s stomach sank.

 

“What?” He tried to buy himself some time while he surveyed his surroundings and thought of his next move.

 

The officer parked his car and climbed out. Leeteuk took off running.

 

“Freeze! One-forty-eight southbound at Rose Lane. Requesting backup.”

 

Leeteuk was never much for running. He cut a corner and climbed over a block fence into someone’s backyard. He ran across, grateful there wasn’t a guard dog, and he climbed over the other side of the block fence. Just as his luck would have it, he landed on his feet but right in front of a cop car on the other side. Before he knew it, two more cars screeched to a stop, surrounding him. There was no way out of this one. He put his hands up and knelt in surrender, slowly letting himself down on his belly as they shouted their orders.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Kyuhyun grasped his left shoulder. He stumbled into the basement, where Ryeowook sat at the computer.

 

“Ryeowook. First aid kit.”

 

Ryeowook walked over to Kyuhyun. His eyes widened at the sight of Kyuhyun’s torn, bloody shirt and pale face. He jumped over the couch and ran to the medicine cabinet in the bathroom.

 

He came back and immediately set to cleaning Kyuhyun’s wound.

 

“Shouldn’t we get you to a hospital? You need a doctor, man.”

 

“No! No hospital!”

 

“You have a gaping hole in your shoulder!”

 

“ hospitals! You’ll do fine.” Kyuhyun smiled weakly at Ryeowook.

 

Ryeowook inspected the wound. He carefully inserted his index finger to feel for the bullet. Kyuhyun closed his eyes in pain and let out a whimper even though he bit down hard on his bottom lip. “I know. Sorry but I have to get the bullet. You’re gonna need stitches too. Are you sure you don’t want a doctor?”

 

“Nah. God will guide your hands…” Kyuhyun’s eyes focused on something behind Ryeowook. He raised his good arm and pointed to a corner of the basement. “Why is the banana floating into the vortex?” he asked right before he passed out.

 

“Well, .”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Heechul growled in frustration as he threw his phone across the room.

 

He turned to Yesung. “Have you gotten a hold of Kangin?”

 

“Yes. He’s on his way back with Shindong.”

 

“Leeteuk?”

 

“Not yet,” Yesung replied as he hurriedly dialed Leeteuk again.

 

“I don’t even know if I hit the motherer.” Heechul paced the room.

 

“I’m on that too, boss.”

 

 

I know Heechul misses his target a lot but this wouldn’t be out of the realm of reality. NYC cops, who have extensive marksman training, only hit their intended target 18-30% of the time. Comforting, ain’t’ it?