Sound of Sirens

And the Last Shall Be First

“Hey, I heard you might have a phone number that my friend and I are looking for,” a young, flirtatious woman in a short skirt said as she leaned into Eunhyuk’s ear.

“I might,” Eunhyuk replied with a grin.

She produced $20 from her purse and Eunhyuk gave her two MDMA capsules in exchange.

“Thank you, babe.” She kissed him on the cheek and pulled her friend deeper into the club. They turned back to Eunhyuk and giggled as they bounced away happily.

Siwon walked up to Eunhyuk with wide eyes and eyebrows raised. He slapped him on the shoulder and smiled widely at him.

Sungmin’s eyes narrowed as he watched the scene from the balcony. He knew which crew members they had on the floor that night and Shindong had not made mention of changes to the lineup. He walked to where Heechul was sitting with some of his admirers. He leaned in and whispered what he had just seen to Heechul.

A frown made its way onto Heechul’s face. ‘An obvious sign of stupidity. Either that or the motherers have some balls. Could it be…’ Only one crew came to mind that would do something so brazen. Heechul really hoped it was so. He hoped for it to be Kyuhyun and his crew.

Heechul walked to the balcony’s edge. Sungmin joined him and discretely pointed out Eunhyuk and Siwon in the crowd.

The expression of anticipation instantly dropped from Heechul’s face when he saw them. Neither of them were Kyuhyun. Still, he had to make sure they were not Kyuhyun’s men and that they immediately left his turf. He signaled for Sungmin, Kangin, and Leeteuk to follow him.

He had Eunhyuk and Siwon in his sight straight ahead. Every step he took toward them was filled with resolve.

He was all but 10 feet away when a new face came into the frame. Kyuhyun appeared behind Siwon and Eunhyuk. He draped his arms over their shoulders playfully. They began to engage in cheerful conversation with each other. None of them had noticed Heechul approaching. The truth was, they didn’t know they were in his club.

Everything turned to slow motion for Heechul when he saw Kyuhyun’s face. There was no one else in the room with him. All he saw was Kyuhyun and he was filled with a rage that he could not contain. He reached behind his back and drew his gun. He didn’t think of how reckless it was to start trouble in his own club. The only thing that mattered to Heechul at that moment was revenge. He was out for blood and he would get it at all costs.

Siwon saw the movement out of the corner of his eye. He instinctively shielded Kyuhyun with his own body.

Heechul managed to get two shots off before Sungmin pulled him back and away. The sound of the gunshots consumed the music and reverberated throughout the building. Terrified patrons ran to save themselves.

Eunhyuk ducked behind a fallen table. He produced his gun and shot at Kangin, who returned fire while seeking refuge behind a cluster of toppled chairs and tables. Glass and chips of wood from the furniture dispersed in every direction as the bullets flew indiscriminately.

Leeteuk helped Sungmin drag Heechul, who was still struggling to get back into the fight, to coverage. They ended up behind the bar.

Kyuhyun was pinned under Siwon. He felt the hot liquid coming out of him. He knew he had been hit and that they had to get out of there fast.

Kyuhyun wrapped Siwon’s arm over his shoulder. He supported as much of his friend’s weight as he could and Siwon did his best to keep on his feet. They stumbled out of the club with Eunhyuk providing coverage behind them with only a few rounds left in his magazine.

They made it to Kyuhyun’s car. Kyuhyun threw Siwon in the back seat with Eunhyuk. The tires screeched as they sped off leaving behind smoke and the smell of burning rubber.

Heechul successfully threw a punch that connected with Sungmin’s face, finally managing to get him off of himself. He ran out only to see the smoke from the tires dissipating into the air. They got away and he couldn’t help but think it was his own crew’s fault.

“,” he yelled with his eyes closed tightly, trying to let out some of his frustration.

Leeteuk came running out after him. “Heechul, you gotta get out of here,” he said with urgency in his voice.

Sirens could be heard in the distance. They were approaching fast.

“Get me the video,” Heechul ordered, referring to the club’s surveillance video. “The cops will ask questions. The cameras are out of order. We all clear out, pretend we weren’t here tonight. You got that?”

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kyuhyun didn’t stop at red lights.

“Hang in there, Siwon! We’re almost there! You’re gonna make it!” He made a sharp turn. The tires cried as the car drifted.

He didn’t know how they would explain Siwon’s injuries to the hospital staff. They would have to figure it out and make sure they all told the same story as the cops would surely be called in for gunshot wounds.

Kyuhyun eyed Eunhyuk through the rearview mirror. “Don’t let him fall asleep, Hyuk!”

“STOP,” Eunhyuk yelled from the backseat.

“What?”

“STOP, KYUHYUN.”

“What?! Hell no!”

“He’s gone.”