ONE // DANBI

Don't Let Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DanBi

            “DanBi, send this to table 23!” I hear my manager’s voice despite the noise of business in the kitchen. I quickly turn around and head towards my boss who is standing beside the kitchen counter. I take the tray from him and quickly dash outside to deliver the order. It is Sunday and there is no way to see this restaurant empty on such a day. It will always be full of people that our boss had to expand this restaurant last month. But I guess it causes us to be busier if there are many customers. Why are they not expanding the kitchen and hire more staffs? I puff my mouth and quickly smile as soon as I reach table 23. I place the tray on the table and one of the guys who is sitting at the table helps me to place their food. I guess they are hungry already since their order is a bit late. I smile at them for the last time and walk away to continue my other task.

I scan the restaurant and I can see people are chattering among themselves while enjoying their food and drinks. My fellow colleagues are busy running around to take and deliver the order. Well, let’s not talk about what happen in the kitchen. It is a total disaster when they are trying to speed up. And finally, there is my manager, standing everywhere while giving us orders. Exactly, he is not doing anything and does not even have the heart to help us. He is a jerk and irritates me a lot but nope, I’m not going to complain because I will lose my job later.

            “DanBi, don’t forget to take the order from table 56.” I hear that voice again and roll my eyes even before I step forward towards the mentioned table.

            “Yes, sir!” I say while making my way to table 56. Another thing about my manager is he does not like it when we are not answering to his call. He will nag at us for hours if we do not reply anything to his call or order. Tsk, even my mom never nags at me because of that. See, I told you he is a jerk!

            “Hi, what do you want to order?” I ask and take out my small notebook and a blue pen from my pocket.  The customer nods her head and points at the menu in her hand.

            “Set 2, set 6 and set 3.” She says and I quickly write her order. I feel grateful that I meet this type of customer today. Not many people will usually order as simple as this. They will be like ‘I want this and this, ala carte and this one as a set. I want to add on this… and the list goes on’.

            “2, 6 and 3. Am I right? Anything else you'd like to have?” I ask again and am relieved that she shakes her head. I nod my head and make my way towards the counter and hand the order to the new staff that I do not even know her name. I glance at her nametag and finally know her name. It is SooYeon. I will try to remember her name in the future. But for now, I just want to sit. It has been almost one hour that I’m walking around without even having the chance to sit down. I let out a heavy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter