Past

Missing you

 

Watching the people hopping on the bus was a routine he wasn’t proud of. Daily basis was that after being accepted into Seoul’s University, he must travel around fifteen minutes from his house to the school. And since his Smartphone was broken, he just decided to watch the people before he could hop on.

He asked his brother; ‘when would you fix it?’; receiving just a grin in return, that stupid motioned gesture he hated because it mean, wherever I want. Not that Kyuhyun really hates his brother, is just… unfair. Since he is the youngest, and his parents weren’t in this earth anymore, Kyuhyun must oblige to everything his older brother asked. Once day, Kyuhyun was sure, he’ll work and gain more money than his brother, so he could repay him.

Kyuhyun barked off his thoughts when suddenly, when he was already sat on a seat in the bus; a loud person, a man, was hitting the side of the bus asking the driver to wait. Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes annoyed, taking out his earphones and pretending he was listening music so no one could bother him.

The bus stopped and Kyuhyun didn’t pay attention. He just felt someone poking his arm and closed his eyes tighter. He was so obvious telling whoever was bothering that he didn’t want to talk, why people doesn’t get it quickly and evade the embarrassment of feeling his cold stare.

“Hey!”

Kyuhyun widened his eyes and turned irritated. The man before him was watching him a little exasperated and Kyuhyun raised his brow, he had manneres and wasn’t going to snap so loud that he was mad at this stranger.

“I have been calling you since minutes ago! I even stop the bus!!”

Kyuhyun scoffed, so that was why, well, he knew he was quite handsome, but to have a stalker in plain light wasn’t something to be delighted, so he remained silent.

“Anyway, this.”

Kyuhyun blinked a little lost and vexed. A wallet? The man was asking him to buy his body or for a date, how ert people could be, and gross.

The man sighed heavenly and sat next to Kyuhyun, feeling embarrassed when he saw people was watching him. He turned to Kyuhyun, cheeks blushing madly and Kyuhyun wasn’t the bit happy.

“Get off, stalker.”

Kyuhyun saw the man’s eyes rounded in surprise and a deeper blush crept on his cheeks, and Kyuhyun blinked, he didn’t saw it before, the man was kind of pretty, doe eyes, snowy skin and fleshy lips, not that it was important, though.

“I-I’m not!”

Kyuhyun cocked his head, still annoyed but feeling a little bad, every person in the bus was silent, as if wanting to know what was happening between them.

“Then?”

Kyuhyun asked cold, he just want this over, get off the bus and forget this incident. The man though, shifted on place and gave the same wallet again, it was one of those kind of stuff you can buy everywhere, the same model wear by many people and Kyuhyun sighed, the man was surely as poor as him to use something like that.

“It’s yours, you dropped it with the ID card inside.” The man must have read Kyuhyun’s mind and see his embarrassment, and flabbergasted expression, as he removed quickly to explain “I-I was waiting for the next bus, when I saw something fell and people stepped on it, I picked it curiously and saw the ID inside the wallet, then I saw you next to the window, and yeah…”

Kyuhyun was feeling the blood on his cheeks and it wasn’t natural, he never show many emotions, but this was over him, how could he feel so clumsy, especially in front of so many people and when he needs money.

“I deduced you drop it after taking out the money to pay the bus’ feed.”

Kyuhyun nodded, finally taking the wallet and sliding it into his pocket, he didn’t even turned to see if people was watching anymore, he just wanted to die in embarrassment and crap, he called the stranger an stalker, when the latter wanted just to help him.

“Huh, thanks?”

Kyuhyun muttered, not daring to see the man that chuckled lightly and told him soft “You’re welcome.”

Finally Kyuhyun raised his eyes, the man, as he said, before, was quite appealing, not a model, but it was okay. His jaw was a little sharp to his like, still was attractive, anyhow, Kyuhyun blinked when the man eyes were on him.

“Yeah?”

The man chuckled again and smiled, usually, when people show his gums, it is weird, this man though, radiate something, charisma? People call it that way, yes, this man was charismatic.

“That’s why I want to ask, since you kept staring at me for a while, two stops to be precise.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

Kyuhyun apologized, and sighed. Being socially awkward was a lack of his self-esteem, but he really didn’t want to get along with people, the only ones he need were his death parents and brother, and maybe friends, talking about friends, he was going to meet one of them; a female friend, she told him it was important.

“No need.”

Kyuhyun smiled when he heard those words, the stranger was kind, asides his small circle of acquaintances, he didn’t consider other people to be nice. Let’s make clear he wasn’t bullied, Kyuhyun’s life was plain normal, it just he always thought people were more bad than good, so he always declined to think negative things rather than nice, that’s why he was always awkward around people, because his paranoid thoughts didn’t let his guard off.

“So, this bus doesn’t take you away from your original route?”

Kyuhyun asked the man, not knowing he was so talkative with a stranger, maybe because he didn’t want to feel awkward anymore.

“Kind of. I was going to Apgujeongdong to buy a gift, and now I’m going to Hongdae.”

Kyuhyun nodded not knowing what to say, he just heard the man chuckling. Kyuhyun felt guilt; it was because him, the man hopped on the wrong bus and sighed. Then he remembered something crucial, his bad manners and how he hasn’t introduced yet.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun, by the way.”

The man smiled nodding slowly “Lee Hyukjae.”

Kyuhyun didn’t knew he was grinning, when Hyukjae move his hand for a shake. After the quick shook of hands, Kyuhyun saw the man retrieving in.

“So, uhm. What kind of present are you going to buy?”

Kyuhyun wasn’t really curious, he just want to make a conversation, so maybe, and as weird as it could be, he want to get this man contact number.

“I don’t know…”

Kyuhyun heard the dejected tone and raised his brow. The man continued immersed in his own world.

“I’m too old to know what a teenager wants.”

Kyuhyun widened his eyes, dumbfounded. This man wasn’t old, and why he talked as if he were really, at most, Kyuhyun was sure, the man had around twenty years old.

“It can’t be, you’re mocking me. How old are you?”

The man turned grinning “Twenty six.”

Kyuhyun gasped slightly. The man shrugged “So, as I said, I don’t know what to buy to a teenager.”

Kyuhyun raised his brow, so maybe this man was a e? It didn’t look like it though. So Kyuhyun push more the topic, already curious.

“How old is that person.”

The man sighed again “My boyfriend told me his brother is nineteen.”

Kyuhyun didn’t see the grimace on his face, well, at least the man wasn’t a e, just taken by someone else, which meant, it was out of his reach, and why think about that, if he just was talking friendly.

“I’m nineteen.”

Kyuhyun confessed and Hyukjae nodded, then chirped in delight turning quickly to Kyuhyun, “I-I know this is sudden, but can you tell me what kids of your age like?”

Kyuhyun frowned and Hyukjae added hurriedly; “please?”

“I don’t know, an Smartphone?” No, that was actually what he wanted, yet, Hyukjae contemplated it seriously, his brows furrowed and Kyuhyun didn’t know when his index finger was rubbing the wrinkles there and Hyukjae was surprised. Kyuhyun just took off his hand.

“Wrinkles, if you frown, it would be more after some years…”

Hyukjae made and ‘o’ shape with his lips while Kyuhyun cursed his hand, and sighed. Actually he wanted to say, it was cute how the eldest frowned and that he just wanted to touch for some reason.

“I see; thanks.”

Hyukjae, quickly hopped off the bus when they reach the next stop and Kyuhyun sighed. He didn’t get the other’s contact number or anything else asides a friend, and he was sure the telephonic guide was full of Lee Hyukjae.

“Sure.”

Kyuhyun said to the air, Hyukjae’s back was everything Kyuhyun saw before closing his eyes and waiting for the next stop to reach the University. Suddenly he remembered something, he must pick something for his brother and cursed, making the driver to stop and he took out his wallet and waited for another bus, to go at the book store and buy a cooking book for his older brother, since the latter wanted it for being the new edition for chefs.

 

Kyuhyun sighed with the book in hands, dragging his steps to his second lecture; he didn’t make it to the first one and sighed painfully. Setting the book inside his bag, he walked inside and sighed.

“I would like to say now, that I will no longer be here. Another lecturer will come, since I’m quitting this job.”

Some made whimper sound and Kyuhyun sighed, his slight crush on his teacher had fade away some weeks ago when he announced was getting married and was going to live in another country. Then Kyuhyun knew his crush was just admiration and that he wanted to be like this teacher, so he nodded, yeah, if he becomes someone like him, then everybody, including the man from the bus, would like to have him as more than a mere friend.

“The new teacher will start next week, so this is our last lecture. Let’s exploit it, okay?”

Kyuhyun played with his pen, and stared at the whiteboard, his eyes watching the surroundings, his classmates and teacher explaining with a grin.

 

After a long tired lecture, not the second but the fourth lecture, Kyuhyun went to meet his friend. She was standing there, his eyes landing on the grass, dying because the fallen season and Kyuhyun reached her with a soft “Hi.”

She turned to him, eyes smiling and waving happy at him. Kyuhyun watched his wrist-clock and sighed. In an hour he must meet his brother and he was out of time, yet he couldn’t just go. She was a person he could call a friend, she never bothered him or pressure him with frivolous stuff, they got along since he start college, and she was smart, enough for him to mate her in team work.

“Yuri.” Kyuhyun voice was soft and velvet, he always wanted to fix how it sounded, yet he couldn’t. He always talks like that, sometimes, people though he was flirting when he was just normally talking.

Yuri blushed immediately and cleared .

“You came…”

Kyuhyun heard relief in the words and he raised his eyebrow confused, it is time for him to go, he needs to pick the bus, or he’ll be late and his brother would be upset.

“I-I didn’t you would come, omo!”

Kyuhyun watched her weirdly, he didn’t know what was happening, and it was as if Yuri was fangirling over him, which was impossible, because he wasn’t that hot as an idol, just plain handsome, he can’t deny his attributes.

“I-I wasn’t sure, because when I asked you to come, you look uninterested and, I was so shy.”

Kyuhyun was lost, he just remembers receiving a message telling him to come, because she wanted to say something and then he came, or was something more and he didn’t read it?

“I don’t get it. I’m in a hurry, so can you tell me what is it?”

Kyuhyun saw his friend’s face pale and he blinked. “You didn’t read the second message?”

Kyuhyun wanted to say he didn’t, it wasn’t necessary, with his mouth slight open told everything to her, and she forced a smile “I see…”

“My phone is broken, so…”

Kyuhyun checked again the hour “crap! I must go, tell me later, okay?”

Kyuhyun turned to see her and felt lips against his ones, making his eyes to wide, and he freeze shocked. She pulled off with a shy smile.

“I want to ask you out.”

Kyuhyun brain wasn’t working. He blushed, it wasn’t his first kiss, he once dated a cute girl and, she was, every first a man would want. Still, he was embarrassed and shocked.

“I-I…”

Kyuhyun saw her, she was with no doubt; pretty, her hair shone beneath the sunlight and her lips were plump and pink; her eyelashes cute and he sighed.

“I don’t know, I mean. I don’t see more than a friend. I like you that way only.”

She dropped her face and nodded, suddenly feeling awed by disappointment, and Kyuhyun wanted to stayed, he stopped when he knew, could do nothing. Love wasn’t in his main list of things and now, it wasn’t even a priority but to deliver the book in his bag.

“Sorry.”

Kyuhyun turned around not glancing at her, or her teary eyes, he just ran to the bus stop, making the driver stop. He chuckled, remembering this morning and the man he met, it was the same as him, forcing a bus to stop just to hop in. Difference was the man was helping him and he was just now in a hurry.

Kyuhyun glanced quickly at the streets, passing by a park, he saw kids playing with a red balloon and he chuckled. He never played games outside home.

Kyuhyun slowly felt tired, he bent head over the glass and saw by the corner of his eyes the shops and teenagers fooling around, he sighed. Soon the stop he must hop off will be, his eyes slowly drifting close, when his eyes caught a glimpse of a brown hair, and he snapped off his drift, his eyes trailing the owner for some unknown reason.

Kyuhyun wasn’t aware how he set his hands over the window and grinned watching it was the same man from the morning, he just shouted the driver he was going to hop off. The bus didn’t stop quickly, and Kyuhyun grunted when he reached his stop and the brown haired man was nowhere to be seen.

Kyuhyun felt disappointment and relief, because, what could he say to that man? They just met once and that wasn’t enough to start a conversation.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at his silly thoughts. He was a brat after all and he just walked to where his brother was working. Kyuhyun set the strap of his bag straight and cleared his throat, he was always intimidated of the place, even when he entered by the back door. The place was full of expensive furniture and Kyuhyun didn’t like it at all, he always thought those places were for jackass people whom wanted to show off how much money they had. It was a prejudice, yet he didn’t want to know if his thoughts were real or not.

“You’re here!”

Kyuhyun heard his brother’s voice and smiled, taking out from his back the recipient book and handing it to him. He smelled the delicious food, the only thing he liked about the expensive place, was the free meal, a plus he had for being the brother of one of the chefs there and a part time worker; he grinned his lips.

“Sorry, I was…”

Kyuhyun saw his brother grinning; he smiled too. He was happy watching his brother happy and passing the pages quickly, surely searching for some special recipe.

“Finally, I could make the special cake!!”

Kyuhyun heard his brother say and he frowned. As much as he knew, his brother was a chef of Italian’s food, not a pâtissière. Kyuhyun shrugged and walked to the oldest woman serving food, Kyuhyun set his bag at a clean corner and set an apron, he smiled.

“How can I help?”

The woman smiled and send him to wash the dishes, his payment wasn’t much since he wasn’t an official worker, yet he enjoyed being in this place, side by side with his brother.

“We need help!”

Kyuyun heard when he was already washing the dishes and turned his head up hearing his name, he was lost when someone shoved a uniform and he blinked lost.

“Yesung is sick, so cover him up, wear this and attend the customers, don’t mess it up.”

Before he could protest, the person pushed him into the changing room and he quickly changed his clothes into the uniform as he scoffed, it wasn’t supposed to be like this and he sighed.

Kyuhyun stepped into the front, his eyes scanning the place as his mouth was aghast. It wasn’t as the movies, where every customer was fancy dressed, yet he could see that the fabric of the attires, jeans, coats, or else were brand-name and not cheap as the ones he was wearing.

“Close your mouth, dude.”

Kyuhyun heard some waiter, he didn’t know, telling him and rolling his eyes. Quickly he got a hold of his surprise and nodded, a little lost as to what to do.

He saw the same waiter scoffing and pointing at a random table “Go and ask their orders, du.”

Kyuhyun sighed, fixing his clothes and feeling nervousness traveling all over his body as he breathed deeply trying to calm down and don’t mess around.

Kyuhyun saw a pretty woman, she was dressed with a vest and a loosen shirt, her long hair falling gracefully, and Kyuhyun thought, that maybe it was she just radiated class or maybe he was just stepping into another world where idols were in.

“Oh, I’m waiting for someone.” She said to Kyuhyun when she saw him, before him could open his lips and Kyuhyun raised his brow confused, she giggled “My oppa, so please, can you bring just water for now please, and… uhm, can I call with the Italian chef here, thank you.”

Kyuhyun couldn’t even say a word as he just nodded and walked to the kitchen, quickly telling he wanted a glass of water and talk with his brother.

“Yeah?”

“Someone asked me for you, ehm, is the woman at the window.”

Kyuhyun saw his brother spotting her and grinning, he quickly turned to Kyuhyun. Cheeks blushing and the youngest raised his brow.

“I’ll introduce my fiancé to you later. My beloved is lovely.”

Kyuhyun widened his eyes, startled. And he felt his cheeks burning; he just embarrassed his self in front of his brother’s fiancé. Kyuhyun knows, by what his brother told him. That his brother was engaged with that person before their parents died. At first his brother didn’t want to even meet his fiancé and even was told, between the elders, that Kyuhyun was the one who must be betrothed, he didn’t mind though. One day, after their parents died, Kyuhyun was so in shock that he went mute, and didn’t say anything, afraid of see his older brother, more broken than he was already, when the time passed. Kyuhyun saw his brother being happy again, slowly, and out of the blue, his brother’s school feed was being paid. Kyuhyun didn’t know what happened at that time, but now he figures it was his brother’s fiancé who put a smile on him, and Kyuhyun was grateful.

He turned to see his brother talking excited to the woman and he grinned, taking other customer’s orders. Maybe having a sister in law would be really nice.

Kyuhyun stopped for a moment between his thoughts, then why the woman told him she was waiting for her oppa? Maybe a brother? He was curious and wanted to ask his brother but refrain when another customer called him.

Kyuhyun was serving and order when he saw the woman turning to the exit and he followed her gaze, almost dropping the tray in his hands. He was surprised to say the least; the man stepping inside the restaurant was similar, if not the same he met in the bus. Kyuhyun couldn’t tell, because hours ago, that man was wearing wore jeans and a polo, now though. He was dressed as a model with his clean shiny dress-shoes, neat shirt and hair fixed in place with a coat, so different from the woman.

Kyuhyun gulped hard for some reason and went to that table. She smiled at him, as before and motioned the man to look the menu.

“I want spaghetti, not much olive oil. The drink of the house and for dessert I hope to get finally my strawberry cake that chef promised days ago.”

His voice was soft, and to the point as if he was talking about business and Kyuhyun put aside disappointment, because maybe he wasn’t the same man this morning, or because he never turned to look at him and recognized him.

“Hyukjae…”

Kyuhyun heard the woman utter the name, and Kyuhyun felt his brain working faster than before and he suddenly felt nervous, it was indeed the same man, the same name, it was him! and with Kyuhyun’s brother’s fiancé.

Hyukjae gave the menu to Kyuhyun and finally, a glint of recognition was in his eyes. Kyuhyun felt proud. Most when the man smiled at him.

“Oh, hi! You work here?”

Kyuhyun wanted to reply when he saw the man rolling his eyes “Of course you work here, if not why are you wearing those clothes.”

Kyuhyun nodded, his chance of conversation was lost and he sighed, repeating Hyukjae’s order.

“When your shift ends?”

Kyuhyun blushed, feeling something exploiting inside “I-I…”

“Nevermind, I’ll wait for you. I can make another friend and maybe…”

Kyuhyun bowed and quickly went to his brother, telling him Hyukjae’s order, not saying how giddy he felt or else, he wanted to professional in front of his brother.

Maybe he had a chance; Hyukjae trailed a maybe, so it meant more than a friend. Kyuhyun was shocked at his own thoughts, he was never used to man talking him that way, it was weird, so why he suddenly felt so happy out of nowhere, and it was the fact that he just met this stranger. Kyuhyun sighed, maybe love at first sight existed and he frowned, he wasn’t even interested in love.

Disappointment dwells inside him when he heard from his brother’s lips. “Meet my fiancé, Kyuhyun. His name is Lee Hyukjae.”

Kyuhyun forced a smile and watched with a hurtful expression.

“Then what was that ‘and maybe…’”

Donghae blinked lost while Hyukjae grinned “Don’t you know, and maybe we can talk about Donghae-ssi, it was fun how you blushed though.”

Kyuhyun felt played, like he was a kid with a candy that was taken away from him and sighed.

“You’re fiancé is nice hyung.”

Kyuhyun turned around, ready to leave and closed his eyes when he saw the peripheral view Donghae kissing Hyukjae and the woman from before smiling.

“Aish, cheesy as always.” She left them alone while Kyuhyun smiled sadly. He didn’t want this, his first love taken away by his brother.

His chest burned with a feeling never met before and he couldn’t breathe normally. Even if Donghae was his brother, his feelings behold something acid and he didn’t like that.

Deep inside, and after months finally Kyuhyun admitted his feelings everytime he watched Donghae cuddling with Hyukjae on the sofa watching television, or how they held hands.

Jealousy and love, an insane love when he wished his eldest brother was death or never existed so he could be with Hyukjae and at the same time, he felt pathetic and like scum, how can someone wish to have someone so dear death.

He sighed heavily and smiled when Hyukjae approached him the day before the wedding.

“I’m sorry about that time months ago. I already knew you were Donghae’s brother. I just thought you were pretty cute and wanted to tease you. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Kyuhyun nodded while Hyukjae bit his lip and smiled.

“I hope to clear any misunderstanding and let’s be good in laws, okay?” He raised his eyes and Kyuhyun gulped.

How can you ask me that when you look like that?

Kyuhyun instead of saying those words nodded and smiled rubbing sheepishly the back of his neck.

“Yes, in laws.”

Hyukjae grinned extending his hand. The youngest took it and sighed.

“Please take care of me Kyuhyun-ssi.”

Even if I can’t have you, I’ll watch over you.

Kyuhyun nodded. He saw the man he loves walking away and his brother smiling and grabbing Hyukjae’s waist while kissing him softly, if only he would be born before, if only…

Kyuhyun had so many thoughts that day and the days following. He closed his eyes when the thought of Hyukjae being intimated with Donghae, his now husband crossed his mind and he chuckled.

Happines was the only thing Kyuhyun could wish to both of them, because he loved them and wanted the best. Never thinking that love sometimes becomes obsession and that life never has a happy ending.

Not when years after, Kyuhyun only thought was one.

Steal away Hyukjae’s love from his brother.

Didn’t minding what the world could though and what his brother could think if he confessed that Kyuhyun loved Hyukjae since the first sight.

 

 


I'll update the other half next week.