Ch 2: Friendship

Between You and Me [imcomplete & inactive]

The next day I woke up feeling disgusting. Although I only had a couple of drinks the day before, it managed to make me feel unwell. I rolled to my side, trying to suppress my headache that was throbbing.  Moments like these are when I question myself why I am friends with Haeryung and Nana, especially for what they put me through with them.

I let out a sigh of relief to find myself in the comfort of my own home again. I reached for my phonearrow-10x10.png on the bedside expectingarrow-10x10.png for messages. There was none.

They are probably hungover, I thought to myself.

Just when I was about to get out of bed, my phonearrow-10x10.png vibrated. I checkedarrow-10x10.png the phonearrow-10x10.png to see a message from a number I could not recognize.

[Hey,] was all it read.

Usually I would not reply to a number I didn't know, but somehow my fingers found its way to texting back.

[Who is this?]

Minutes later, there was a response.

[It's me, Chanyeol.]

Chanyeol? Why would he be texting me? Was he trying to contactarrow-10x10.png me to get Haeryung's number? No that wouldn't make sense because they probably exchanged numbersarrow-10x10.png already. Or was he interested in me? What?  No no no. In no way was that possible..

These were the silly thoughtsarrow-10x10.png that played in my mind before my phone vibrated again.

[Sorry for bothering, but my friend from yesterday's party was interested in getting to know you more. I wanted to ask for yourarrow-10x10.png permission before I give him yourarrow-10x10.png number.]

How did Chanyeol even get my number? Oh. Haeryung duh.

I stared at my phone in disbelief and then recalled the guy I encounteredarrow-10x10.png yesterday night at Chanyeol's front porcharrow-10x10.png. It was probably him. The one that wanted me number.

I slapped myself on the forehead. "God, I'm not interested. How come that guy doesn't understand?" I said aloud to myself.

Suddenly, my phone began to ring.

Please no.

I closed my eyes for a second before I took a look at the phone. It was Nana calling.

Phew.

I hesitated to pick up but I did anyway.

"H-h-hello?" I stuttered.

"Heey! You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm not hungover or anything."

She let out a chuckle. "That's good. Anyways, Sungjae invited me to go out later with his group of friends later. Haeryung's not coming cause she has family plans. So wanna come?"

Before I could decline the invitation Nana continuedarrow-10x10.png on as if she read my mind, "We're not going out to party or anything. We're planning to go the amusement pa-."

"I'm busy later.." I interrupted her mid sentence, trying to make an excuse so that she would leave me alone.

"Busy doing what? Don't try to make excuses Chorong-ah, I know you're not." I could see the smirk on her face behind the phonearrow-10x10.png.

"Busy getting my life together," I flatlyarrow-10x10.png said.

"You can do that once schoolarrow-10x10.png starts again."

"Uhm, have fun with them later alright?"

"Okay.  See you later around 5, we'll come by yourarrow-10x10.png house to pick you up."

"WHAT?" Before I could continuearrow-10x10.png on, she hung up.

Typical Nana, I groaned to myself.

- - -

It was four in the afternoon and I still wasn't sure if Nana was kiddingarrow-10x10.png or not when she said she was going to pick me up.

But just in case she was serious, I got ready anyway. I appliedarrow-10x10.png on a generous amount of bb cream to make my complexion look more lively, filled in my eyebrows, and appliedarrow-10x10.png a lightarrow-10x10.png pink gloss on my lips. Just as I was about to change into some casual clothes, my phonearrow-10x10.png vibrated, signaling that I received a message.

[Coming in about half an hour, so get ready!] Nana wrote.

Yup she wasn't kidding about coming to get me. Funny how part of me didn't want to go but the other part of me wanted to go out to get fresh air; I didn’t want to spend the whole summer living in my roomarrow-10x10.png nor was I about the whole girls-just-wanna-have-fun life.

- - -

Half an hour later, my doorbell rang. I fetched my bag and rushed down the stairs to openarrow-10x10.png the doorarrow-10x10.png. In front of me was the person I least expected. There stood Suho. The cellphone-obsessed guy I remembered clearly from yesterday.

Without thinking before I spoke, I asked him, "What are you doing here?" which came out rather defensive than I meant for it be.

"Yourarrow-10x10.png friend, Nana, told me to fetch you. She's in the cararrow-10x10.png with Sungjae already."

Why couldn't she have texted me to come out instead?

"She's busy playing gamesarrow-10x10.png with Sungjae on her phonearrow-10x10.png," he simply stated as if he just read through me.

"Uh okay," I said. I looked into his deep brown eyes expecting for him so say something more but instead he turned around and walked back to where they parked.

Well that was awkward.

I closed the front door and followed him behind.

As I got to the cararrow-10x10.png, Nana and Sungjae were both on the same phonearrow-10x10.png playing a multiplayerarrow-10x10.png gamearrow-10x10.png. When I opened the door to the back seats, they looked up at me.

"Chorong, glad you could make it!"  Sungjae exclaimed happily.

"Yeahhhhh Chorong, glad you could make it," Nana teased, "but you have to sit in the front, there's no more roomarrow-10x10.png in the back."

When I opened the door to the front passenger seat, I realized that there were only four of us in the cararrow-10x10.png. Me, Nana, Sungjae, and Suho.

"Is anyone else coming?" I turned around to look at Nana and Sungjae who were back to occupying themselves in their gamearrow-10x10.png.

"Nah, the other two had plans beforehand and the other cancelledarrow-10x10.png last minute." Nana looked up for a quick second at me and turned back to her game.

Along the car ride it was quiet except for the occasional curses and laughters in the backseat where Nana and Sungjae were playing their supposedly addictingarrow-10x10.png game. The Suho guy still didn't talk much and since I didn't know him that well, it made the atmosphere even more uncomfortable. Was I suppose to start a conversation with someone who didn't seem interested in talking to me?

"Yahhhhh Suhoooo! Talk to Chorong or something, it's so quiet except for us," Sungjae complained. "Or turn on the radio."

Suho let out a quiet cough as he rolled down the windowsarrow-10x10.png and the radio.

Pfft, it's not like I want to talk to you either, I thought as I turned to look out the windowarrow-10x10.png, feeling the cold breeze rush by.

♫ The tickling wind, us laughing, the stars in the night sky, you seem a little drunk. Refreshing beer, cheers, what more can I ask for? 

"This song makes me crave for some cold beer while sitting under the night sky with someone special," Nana said dreamily.

"Ew gross," Sungjae laughed out loud.

Nana nudged him hard in his side.

I laughed along.

- - -

When we got to the amusement park, Sungjae went out first and opened the door for Nana.

Ah I wish someone would do that for me. I enviously looked at them. 

Just as Sungjae was about to do the same for me, Suho walked over and opened it, waiting for me to get out.

"T-Thanks?" I said which came out like a question rather than a statement.

"No problem."

As Sungjae and Nana ran to the ticket booth together, they left Suho and me walking behind. Keeping a distance from Suho, I walked several feet behind him. I let out a soft sigh. I felt like the third wheel tagging along tonight even though there was also Suho who was like our chaffeur (or the fourth wheel).

When we caught up with them, Nana dragged all of us to a souvenir store to buy accessories so that we could take pictures later.

I stood at the side while  I watched Nana pick up several different headbands to try on, while the boys roamed around the store.

"What's wrong Chorong? You don't look too happy."

"It's nothing. I don't know."

"Tell meeee," she said as she looked at herself in a mirror hanging on the wall.

"I don't think I'm going to have fun tonight." I bluntly said.

"Why not? Sungjae, Suho and me are here to entertain you."

"I don’t know.. I'm not really close to them and besides you wanted to go here because you wanted to spend time with Sungjae right?"

"Yeah, I want to spend time with Sungjae  but only as friends. I invited you cause I also want to spend time with you. Plus, you need to get out of the house more. Don’t forget Suho's here with us, maybe you guys can get to know each other better. He's really nice."

"He seems annoyed by me- by my existence," I added.

"He's not. Sungjae says he's like that with people he doesn't really know. Who knows? Maybe you guys might end up liking each other." She winked at me, hoping to get a reaction out of it.

I shook my head. 

I'm not much of a talker myself so how was I suppose to talk to someone who was the same?

- - -

After several rides on roller coasters, we were drained of energy and so we decided to get some food.

We sat down at a hamburger restaurant with the guys sitting across from us. It felt awkward.

"Soo Chorong how did you get to know Nana?" Sungjae curiously asked out of the blue.

"We met in high school." All eyes were on me, waiting for me to go on but I didn't.

"You guys are like the opposite of each other. She's like crazy and you’re so calm."

Nana teasingly glared at Sungjae.

"Have you had a boyfriend before?"

I looked up at Sungjae, taken back.

"Uhh.. I -"

"I'm just curious." He chuckled softly. "Not trying to imply anything. Maybe I could introduce you to someone."

"She hasn't even had her first kiss yet," Nana said.

Sungjae who was munching on his burger stopped.

Suho who was sipping on his drink and equally surprised also stopped.

They looked at me like I was an alien from outer space.

"Are you kidding? Not even a childhood kiss? Eyyyyyyyy."  Sungjae clapped his hands together, amused.

I sat there, feeling myself get red in the face. I knew plenty of people who hadn't even dated at my age, yet with these people who loved to spend their time socializing, hooking up, or whatever they did (not like I was judging or anything), this seemed like a problem.

Nana saw my embarrassed face and said, "Nah, I'm just kidding I don't know."

After that short conversation, things seemed to get more awkward. As they finished up their food, I sat there quietly.

- - -

When we got outside to the starry night that was waiting for us, we strolled around the amusement park watching kids ride on the small roller coasters. Then we stopped in front of a terrace that faced a tall, brightly-litted water fountain.

"Hey, do you guys want desserts?" Sungjae asked as he looked over at a vendor that sold ice cream.

"Yessss!" Nana squealed excitedly at the talk of sweets.

"Sure," Suho said calmly as he looked the spouting water fountain.

"Anything is fine with me," I politely answered back.

"Okay," Sungjae said as he slowly walked away from us.

"Yah wait for me! I'll go with you." Nana yelled as she ran to catch up with him.

Then there was me and Suho  standing there several feet between us, looking at the illuminated water fountain change color as we leaned against the terrace.

After several minutes of silence, he spoke first.

"So why did you decide to go with us tonight?"

Surprised, I turned to his direction to see his eyes still looking straight ahead.

"Uh, honestly, Nana made me go. I thought there were going to be more people coming." Then picking up the courage to speak my mind, I asked him, "You don't talk much do you?"

He was quiet for a moment and then let out a laugh, the first laugh I have ever heard from him. Turning to look at me with his honest deep brown eyes he said, "I guess." After a moment of hesitation he spoke more, "Sorry if I come off rude or I don't know, mean perhaps?"

It was the most he had spoken so far- at least to me.

"It's okay, I understand," I said as I continued to stare at his side profile as he turned away. He had an intimidating aura, but I couldn’t lie- he was handsome. He had perfect face features that stood against his fair complexion.

Not knowing how to react to the situation, he turned his body to face my direction and took a step closer. "I wasn't able to introduce myself formally before.. uh my name's Kim Joonmyeon but I go by Suho."

"I'm Chorong," I said calmly. I was excited inside that maybe I was actually able to make a friend tonight. "Park Chorong."

 

 

- - - - -

Thanks for stopping by to read. I know there are a lot of mistakes so I apologize. If you have finished this chapter, please leave a comment down below. I want to know if people actually read my story lol :''D