Shifting Feelings

Beauty and the Gang

    It is currently seven thirty in the morning and I am still laying in bed, contemplating the pros and the cons of actually going to school today.  If I stay in bed maybe I can avoid Jackson and the rest of the boys, but then again he would probably just come to my house and I do not want a repeat of yesterday.  Heat rushes to my checks and I bury my face under the covers as I remember the events of yesterday.  His touch, that stupid mischievous look in his eyes, his stupid face, ugh!  I bury my face in my people and let out a groan.

 

    Finally I muster enough strength and pull myself out of bed.  I can’t hide from my problems for forever, although it does seem like a reoccurring theme of mine.  Going over to the bathroom I begin getting ready for school, although a little bit more rushed since I am running late.  I never use to be like this, hiding and running away from conflict, and it’s frustrating.  How does a group of guys, specifically one who always wars his hat backwards.

 

    I reach to pull my hair up and a sparkle catches my eye.  It’s the bracelet that was forced on my wrist again.  That’s when it fully hits me, ever since this bracelet was on and ever since I LET that stupid bracelet be on I have been this weak, pathetic excuse of what I use to be.  No more, I will not be pushed around by them anyway nor will I fall for Jackson’s charm anymore.  Feeling empowered and satisfied with my coverage of the bruises and scratch from yesterday I head to school.

 

    Surprisingly when I get to the lobby nobody is waiting for me.  I was expecting the usual calvary to “” me.  A feeling of suspicion rose to my chest but I shake it off and make my way to the school.  

 

    Luckily I make it to class in the nick of time but sadly my suspicions only continue to rise when I don’t see any of the boys at school.  They are so up to something.  Millions of thoughts run through my head as I think of Jackson telling the boys what happened, and there ways of handling it.  Half of the class time goes by without a problem, then the devil himself swaggers in.  His blonde hair is tucked under his usual snapback and I can practically feel his eyes on me but I don’t look.  He sits down in the desk next to me and loudly pulls my chair closes to his.  I roll my eyes and lean as far away from his as possibly, but I don’t try to move my desk back, today I am not looking for fights, I’m looking for a way out.

 

    The teacher turns around and gives Jackson the stink eye.  “Mr. Wang, even though I put up with a lot from you and your troublesome hooligans I will not put up with you being late to class.  You are not welcome in my classroom.”  Jackson casually leans back in his chair and he laughs.

 

    “Are you telling me to leave, Jihoon?”  An audible gasp is heard from my classmates.  For a student to call a teacher by his first name while in class is not only disrespectful but completely unheard of.

 

    “I suggest you head to the principle’s office for your flippant behavior, Mr. Wang.”  His voice shakes and he actually looks nervous.  What is it with everybody in this school fearing for their lives when it comes to dealing with got7?

 

    “Yea, sure, and while I am there I can share with him some very interesting information about you and what you do after school.  I’m sure he would love to hear about that.”  Jackson’s smirk grows while the teacher mutters something under his breathe and turns around, continuing with his lecture.  Jackson leans over to me and whispers in my ear, “you see princess, I always get what I want.”  A shiver run downs my spine as I feel his breathe against by ear.  I try to hide it but Jackson chuckles, acknowledging that he noticed.

 

    “Not this time.”  I mumble under my breathe.  I don’t think he hears me because he simply grabs my hand and starts rubbing his thumb over my knuckles like he usually does.  

 

    Wait a minute, this is exactly what I need to stop doing, letting him touch me and get to me.  I quickly rip my hand out of his and slightly turn my body away.  Of course Jackson did not like that and grabs it right back, rather forcefully this time.  “Princess, what part of ‘I get what I want’ don’t you understand?”

 

    “What part of ‘you’re a psychotic gang member’ do you not understand?”

 

    “I thought that was clear from what happened yesterday.  Perhaps you need a reminder?”  His smirk grew wider and he leans his head into my neck and lightly brushes his lips against a sensitive spot.  

 

    My mind turns to jelly and shivers run down my spine, like electric currents.  Why does he do this to me?  I feel completely helpless.  Suddenly the cold sensation on my wrist brought me back to reality, the bracelet.  I quickly jump up from my seat causing everyone in the classroom to become startled and look at me.  Even Jackson is giving me a concerned look.  

 

    “May I be excused?”  The teacher looks at me with what seems like pity and dismisses me.  I quickly head out of classroom and head for anywhere.  As soon as I get out of the door I break into a sprint because I’m sure Jackson is not far behind me.  Sure enough I hear his voice echoing down the hallway, calling out to me.  So I head for the nearest room and hope for the best.

 

    I stumble into what appears to be a dance practice room and quickly close the door behind me.  A confused looking Namjoon stares back at me.  He is wearing his school uniform top but changed into loose, baggy gym shorts and his glasses are on the end of his nose.  Sweat is dripping down from his face and he was obviously in the middle of practicing.  “Is there any place in here to hide?”  I ask, fully knowing that there is a chance Jackson will still come in here and find me.  He furrows his eyebrows together and points to another door which I immediately dart for.  Turns out it is a storage closet for stage costumes.  I burry myself in the back behind many costumes and intently listen.  For a while I can only hear the sound of my unsteady breathe and rapidly beating heart, but then the expected happens.

 

    A loud bang echoes and angry footsteps are heard.  “Ya, nerd, did Seolhyun come in here?”  It’s hard to hear anything but I barely make out a slight mumble.  Namjoon is probably so scared right now.  I sickening crack rings in the closet and then a thud.  “Know your place and speak when spoken too.”  I’m now 95% sure Jackson just hit Namjoon and my blood begins to boil.  I bust out of the closet to see Namjoon sprawled out on the floor with Jackson towering over him, his usual playful smirk is replaced with a malicious one.  

 

    “Did you just hit him!”  Jackson spins around begins to approach me, but I dodge him and go straight to Namjoon and examine his wounds.  Judging by the redness of his cheek and the hand shape slowly forming, Jackson probably slapped him.  “We should probably get you some ice.”  I grab his hand and help him up.  Namjoon’s other cheek begins to grow red and I can only assume it’s because he is embarrassed.  

 

    Jackson forcefully disconnects our hands and pulls me towards him.  Our noses are almost touching and his breathe fans over my face.  “Only I can touch you like that, princess.  Don’t treat anyone else like that.”  His eyes narrow and I can tell he is angry.  

 

    “I am not an object Jackson, I am a person and I can do whatever I want and if that means I want to help my friend after he has been hit by some jerk than I will do so and you will not stop me.”  Taking my hand out of his I grab Namjoon’s again, rather dramatically, and push past Jackson and out the door.  I’m surprise we make it out of the door without retaliation, in fact I’m surprised we made it down the hallway without being dragged away from an irate Jackson who knocks out Namjoon.

 

    “Seolhyun?”  Namjoon’s shaky voice breaks my thought process.  “Uhh, do you know where we are going?”  Suddenly I realized I was just aimlessly dragging him down random hallways without really thinking.

 

    “Oh, uh, no, sorry.  I was just trying to get away.”  He nods in agreement and adjusts his grip, so now that he is leading me down random hallways while holding my hand.  For some reason my heart flutters slightly in my chest.  Namjoon with his dorky smile and glasses, his cute dream of wanting to be an idol, there is just something about him that makes him so… lovable.

 

    We arrive at the lounge area, where I instruct Namjoon to sit down while I go to the ice machine and wrap some ice in a towel.  When I come back over to put it on Namjoon’s head he has a huge smile across his face.  I laugh as I tenderly place it on his cheek.

 

    “Why are you smiling?  You were just hit by a psychotic gangster!”  I can’t help but laugh as I say it, just thinking about how silly it sounds when it is said out loud.  A psychotic gangster does not even being to describe Jackson.

 

    “If I was never hit by a psychotic gangster I never would have had the privilege to hold a pretty girl’s hand and have her take care of me like this.”  Butterflies erupt in my chest but it’s different than before.  This time it’s a warm feeling, a feeling of comfort and happiness.  Jackson makes me feel embarrassed but at the same time excited, that is when he is not making me angry or making me feel like some possession to be owned.  Right now, right in front of me, is an actual nice guy who is making me feel happy.

 

    “If the same psychotic gangster and his other gangster friends did not make me want to find a private place to eat my lunch on the first day of school, then I guess we would have never have met.”  Our eyes meet and a couple of seconds pass by, just the two of us looking at each other with warm smiles on our faces.

 

    “Seolhyun, I was wondering…”  His previously smiling eyes fixated on something in the background and turned to fear.  I quickly turn around to see something that I have been trying to avoid all day.

 

    All seven of the members of got7 are approaching the door to the lounge, all seven looking royally pissed off, and all seven shooting Namjoon and I death glares.  Moving as fast as I can I practically push Namjoon towards the side door.

 

    “For your safety, you should probably find someplace to hide.”  He nods in agreement and starts running toward the other door.

 

    “Are you not coming?”  He reaches his hand out towards me but I push it away.

 

    “They won’t hurt me, it’s you they want to hurt right now.  Please just go someplace safe, I will find you later.”  I smile at him, even thought I am internally dying, thinking about having to face all seven of them by myself.  He gives me a concerned look but goes out the door anyway.

 

    Literally two seconds after Namjoon makes an escape the door to the lounge practically busts off its hinges and bangs into the side of the wall.  “Do you feel the need to break every door in this building?”  Jackson was of course the one in the front, and he quickly approaches me.  The other six quickly follow in behind him.

 

    JB is the first to talk.  “Mark, watch the door, make sure nobody bothers use, BamBam, watch the other door, don’t worry about Namjoon, we will deal with him later.”  Both Mark and BamBam follow his orders, JB pulls one of the chairs close to him and cooly puts his feet up on the table.  “We have some things to discuss Seolhyun.”

 

    Jackson grabs a chair and roughly places it in front of me.  “Sit” is all he says and points to the chair, like I’m some three year old who is being put into time out.

 

    Of course his actions only make me angry.  “No,” I say and cross my arms.  Okay maybe I am now acting like a three year old who needs to be put on a time out, but if he is going to treat me like one than I am going to act like one.

 

    Jackson throws his hands up in frustration.  “God, why are you so stubborn!”

 

    “I’m not stubborn I just don’t like to be treated like an object!”

 

    “We don’t treat you like an object.”  Youngjae interjects.

 

    “Yes you do!”  Now I’m starting to yell and become really angry, thinking about what they have all been doing to me.  “You me to and from school!  You are deciding who I can and cannot hang out with!  You come to my house and eat my pizza and invade my personal life!  You place this stupid bracelet on me to claim me as your own, like putting your name on a piece of paper!  I am done being the got7 girl, I never wanted to be that girl in the first place!  Find someone else!”  This is usually the part where the girl dramatically makes an exit but when I tried to do it Mark was blocking my path.  He simply shook his head at me and didn’t say anything.

 

    Turning around in a huff my anger only continues to grow.  Jr stands up and approaches me, “it’s not like we can find someone else, we chose you for many different reasons, this being one of them.  You have a strong personality and are beautiful, we need a girl like you to be associated with our group.”

 

    The only reason they are putting me through this kind of torture is for group purposes?  “So is that what I am to you?  Like a public relations person?  Someone who looks good on the outside and can hold up her own?”  I clench my fists by my sides, I can practically feel heat radiating off my body.

 

    Yugyeom is next to approach me and try to calm me down, but it doesn’t work.  “You know we care about you, Seolhyun, we are just trying to protect you.”  He begins to pat my head by I move out of his way before he can.

 

    “I want out.”

 

    “We are not finished with out meeting though.”  JB says.  “We have to talk about your relationship with Namjoon, and your relationship with your parents.”  He leans forward in his seat and motions for me to sit down.

 

    “Those are both personal matters that I would never discuss with people like you.”  I can feel the venom coming out of my mouth as I say these words, each filled with anger and hurt.

 

    JB chuckles lightly, “because you are apart of the group we have to know everything.  We are only doing it to protect you.”

 

    Calmly, I walk over towards JB and give him (or at least try to give him) a wicked smile.  In one swift movement I grab the stupid bracelet and break the chain.  Pieces of the bracelet fall to the floor and scatter everywhere.  Only the sound of the decorative balls rolling across the floor can be heard, everyone else is silent and looking straight at me.

 

    “I am not apart of the group,” I turn to Jackson, “I am not yours,” I say as I point my finger at him, “I belong to no one but myself.”  This time when I turn to approach the door Mark does block me, but with all my might I push him away.  He wasn’t expecting me to do that and is slightly thrown off balance, giving me a big enough window to get out, which is exactly what I do.

 

    My vision is clouded with rage and I don’t have any destination, I just walk as far away as I possibly can.  Of course I don’t get far, that’s what happens when you make the local gang members angry.  One second I’m walking, the next I’m pushed up against the wall, two muscular arms encasing me.

 

    Looking up I see Jackson’s face, looking at me rather intently.  “You’re right, we have been treating you wrongly.”  My brows furrow in confusion, it’s very unlikely for him to admit he did something wrong so naturally I grow suspicious.  “Maybe it’s time we start treating you different.”  His signature smirk spreads across his lips.  “I guess I’ll just have to turn up the charm and make you want to be mine.”  He leans in and gives me a lingering kiss on the cheek and with that turns around and walks back to the lounge were the rest of the group is.  “See you tomorrow, princess.”