Conflicts

Beauty and the Gang

    It’s been about fifteen minutes and I have been debating on how to get away from got7 once again.  Surely they would know how I escaped them yesterday, is there any other way I can avoid them?  I have this impending feeling that something bad will happen if I see them, but something bad will happen if I avoid them.  Maybe I should stay home today, no way, I will not miss school just because of some weirdoes.

 

    Alright, so if I sneak back down and ask for Soojung then maybe I’ll be fine.  It definitely isn’t my best plan, but it’s the only one I can think of right now.  I head down the stairs again and peek around the side to see if they are there waiting for me.  I’m surprised to see the normal people busily heading out to start their day, nothing out of the ordinary.  Maybe they won’t bother me today, wishful thinking

 

    Heading over to the kitchen I ask one of the waiters to get Soojung for me.  When he comes back he tells me that she is out today, great, what now?  I decide to go out the front, maybe because they expect me to leave out the back they won’t be looking for me out front.  Like I said before, wishful thinking. 

 

    When I walk out the door and nod to the doorman I see all seven of them casually leaning against the outside wall.  I try to blend in with the crowd and don’t make any eye contact until a strong hand grabs my arm and spins me around.

 

    “Are you trying to run again?”  Of course it’s Jackson.  He is wearing his signature snapback with matching smirk.  He re-adjusts his grip and holds my hand and begins walking towards school.  The rest follow closely behind, pushing away people that get too close or anyone that stares for too long.  This isn’t weird at all.

 

    I yank my hand out of his and try to get distance between us.  “What are you doing?”  His face is one of pure amusement.  

 

    He leans into my ear and whispers something that I thought I would never hear him say.  “I want everybody to know that your mine.”  Then he does something that I never thought he would ever do to me.  He bits my ear.  I squeal and push him as far away as possible and begin to run to school.  I can not handle this.  I hear them running after me and shouting at me to stop but I don’t care.  Why me?

 

    They are gaining ground on me, I’m not the fastest or the most athletic person in the world, definitely less than they are.  I turn around to see how far away they are and I run into a wall.  Or at least I thought it was a wall until a turned around to see black beady eyes staring back at me.  Before I know what’s happening Jackson hastily grabs me by the waist and pulls me behind him, shielding me from the mystery man.  Is today manhandling day or something?  I punch Jackson in the arm, seriously can he stop touching me.

 

    The mystery man lets out a sinister chuckle and he gives me a look that makes my skin crawl.  “She looks like a fun one.”  I’m pretty sure Jackson is about ready to kill this man.  His eyes are blazing and his arms are tense, outlining the definition of his muscles.  When I turn around I see all the boys in the same state, ready to attack at any given moment.  JB steps forward, “you’re not welcome here, this is our part of the city, now leave.”  

 

    Chuckles, that’s the name I’ve given him, lets out another laugh and nods.  “Alright big boy, just looking for something,” he looks at me with his creepy eyes and his lips, “and it looks like I found it.”  A shiver run downs my spin and before I know what’s happening Jackson grabs my hand and forcefully drags me away.  I turn around and see the rest of the boys looking like they are about to start a fight.

 

    “Jackson what’s going on?”  He doesn’t answer me, just continues to drag me towards the school.  “Who was that?”

 

    “Nobody who you need to worry about.”  His voice is cold and his grip tightens on my hand.

 

    “I don’t believe you.”  He stops in his tracks and turns around.  His face is so close to mine that I can feel his breathe on my nose.

 

    “I will never let anything or anyone hurt you.”  Jackson’s eyes are glued to mine as he takes out something from his pocket.  “Put this on.”  I feel something cold wrap around my wrist and when I look it’s a beautiful shining bracelet.  “I have some business today, if you need anything, text me.”  He pats my head and starts running back the way we came.  Part of me wants to run after him and see what’s going to happen, and then the smart part of my brain is telling me ‘don’t, you’ll get yourself killed.’  I didn’t even realize I was standing in front of the school, along with a hundred eyes on me.  Oh boy, I can’t wait for Minji to tell me all about what I did this morning.

 

    When I get to class there is a note on my desk “requesting my presence” at the principals office during lunch.  I wonder what that is about.  Class goes by particularly slowly, other than every now and then getting a text from Jackson or one of the boys.  Jackson’s consists of telling me everything that he would like to be doing to me right now, none of them are worth saying out loud, trust me.  The other’s consist of checking in to make sure no one is messing with me.  By lunch time I had ten from Jackson and one from each of the boys asking me how things were going.  This is ridiculous, I didn’t respond to any of them.

 

    Lunch time eventually comes and as I walk to the principal’s office I can see all the eyes following.  I’ve been going to this school for three day’s and I’m already the center of gossip and rumors, great.  I tell the secretary that I’m here ‘as requested’ and she tells me to sit and wait.  This is the first time I actually look at the bracelet Jackson gave to me.  I almost forgot I was wearing it.  It’s a silver chain filled with shimmering gems and a single charm dangling on the end, of course it’s a number seven.

 

    The secretary tells me that it’s time for me to go in.  When I walk in I see Subin leaning over the principal, or should I say, her dad.  I shouldn’t be surprised.

 

    “That’s her daddy, the one that was mean to me.”  She starting to cry alligator tears and hides behind his chair like I’m going to jump her or something.  I raise my eyebrow at the both of them, this is almost comical.

 

    “Ms. Choi, my daughter has informed me that you have been bullying her since you’ve arrived at this school, care to explain yourself.”  Subin gives me an evil smile almost daring me to say something.

 

    “I meet Subin yesterday and I was trying to help her out because I thought she needed a tampon.”  The principal clears his throat and shifts in his seat uncomfortably.  I’ll never understand while the male species gets really nervous when a girl talk about anything that has to do with periods.

 

    “Right, she told me you would say that, we already informed your parents and they said they would take care of everything when you got home right after school.”  Now it’s my turn to hide behind a chair and cry.  I nod and leave his office, I don’t want to show any emotion in front of Subin, I don’t want to give her any satisfaction.

 

    No point in going to lunch now, I lost my appetite after hearing that.  If he really did call my parents then I should start preparing myself for the inevitable.  I decide to go back to my classroom and wait.  I need to think about how to handle my parents.

 

    When I enter the room I see the same guy that was there before sitting and eating his lunch.  He sees me and cringes in his seat.  “Please don’t tell them I’m in here.”  I give him a confused look as he cowers in fear.  What is happening?

 

    “Tell who what?”

 

    “Got7, don’t tell them I’m in here please, this is the only safe place I have.”  This is breaking my heart, he looks so scared of me.

 

    “Why would I ever tell those bullies anything?”  He looks at me, perplexed about what I just said.

 

    “Well, rumor has it you’re Jackson girl and part of the gang now.”

 

    “As if.”  I roll my eyes and sit down next to him.  “So what’s your name stranger?  I’m sure you know mine since you now so much about me already.”  His face turns a deep shade of red and he looks away.

 

    “My name’s Namjoon, and I know you’re Seolhyun.”  I nod and smile at him.  For some reason I have this almost maternal feeling towards him, like I should take care of him.  Thn something clicks in my head.

 

    “Wait, Namjoon, the first day that I was here they were asking where you were, what do they want with you?”  He takes a big bite of his rice and looks around nervously.

 

    “They have been bullying me since the first year of high school, I think it’s part of their hobby now.  I’m in classroom 1-F but they would never expect me to hide out in the smart classroom so this is usually where I hang out when I can.”  His eyes look down at the floor and I can see him holding back tears.  I can’t image being bullied for so long, especially by a group like them.

 

    Since we are talking about our problems I thought maybe if I tell him something about me he will feel better.  “Just a little bit ago I got called to the principal’s office because I stood up to Subin the other day.  She got me in trouble and her dad called my parents and told them who knows what about something that I didn’t do.”  I try to give him a smile but it quickly falls short.

 

    “I heard about what you did to Subin, you’re so cool.”  After he said that he becomes flustered again and looks away quickly.  He is so cute I can’t help but smile.  I laugh and steal a piece of kimchi off of his tray.

 

    “You better get back to class, it’s about to start soon.”  He gets up and slowly starts to walk to the door.  “Oh and by the way, the boys are out on business and won’t be in school all day, enjoy it while you can.”  A smile spreads across his face and he nods energetically.

 

    The rest of the day is as uneventful as the first part and goes by quickly.  Today I can’t stay for after school hours because I probably should get home as soon as possible to face my doom.  When I leave I get stopped by a perfectly manicured hand that blocks my path.

 

    “I hope this teaches you not to mess with me low-life.”  Subin stands flanked by four other girls matching her looks.  They look like clones of her, with the same color blonde hair and matching accessories.  I can’t help but laugh, everything about them looks artificial, even part of their faces look like they had some work done.

 

    “What are you all trying to be, the fake five?”  She grabs my wrist and slams it against the wall.

 

    “Listen here peasant, this is my school so I suggest you follow my rules or get kicked out.”  If she wants to play, let’s play.  I quickly rip my hand free and slam her shoulder against the wall.

 

    “Did you really just call me peasant?”  I give a pathetic look and laugh.  Then I lean in and stare straight into her eyes.  “If you wanted me to be a bully all you had to do was ask.”  Her eyes fill up with fear and her clones do nothing but stand in shock.  They probably have never seen anybody stand up to their original like that. 

 

    I let go of her shoulder and begin to walk home.  Subin seriously is going to get what’s coming to her, I just need a plan of attack.  That will have to wait for a little bit, right now I have to deal with my own problems.  Last time I got in trouble was during elementary school when I bit someone for playing with my doll and I didn’t see the light of day for a whole week.  I don’t even want to think about what is going to happen this time.

 

    When I reach the front of my building I look up, maybe if I come back later when they are asleep I can just avoid the whole situation.  No, I should just get this over with.  Taking a deep breath I head up to my apartment.  The doors open to reveal my mother standing right in front of me, taping her heel against the floor while my father sits at the dining room table with his arms crossed.

 

    My mother without hesitation seizes my wrist and painfully yanks me over to the table where and forces me down in the chair.  That surely will leave a bruise tomorrow.  My father raises his eyes to mine and I try to remain calm by looking at the centerpiece.

 

    “We got a call from your principal today saying that you have been beating up and bullying another girl.”  Mother comes stomping around to face me.

 

    “We had to leave work and deal with you.  You are such a burden, why can’t you just be a good girl for once.”  There is spit getting on my face from how loud she is yelling, but I know better than to wipe it off.

 

    “Yes mother, I am sorry for my actions and I will work harder to be a better person.”  How many times I’ve had to say those words is uncountable.  It almost sounds like a robot is saying it.  She catches my wrist again and squeezes as hard as she can causing me to wince in pain.

 

    “If we ever get another call from the principal we will send you back to the country where you belong.”  She releases my arm and looks at my father.  “Deal with your daughter Wooyoung, I have to return to work.”  Mother angrily calls the elevator and disappears as the doors close on her.

 

    I have learned not to make eye contact with my dad unless he tells me to, so I continue to look at the centerpiece while he just sits there.  This is almost worse than something happening, just waiting to see what he will do.

 

    “Why would you bully the principal’s daughter?  You know Harvard will not accept bullies Seolhyun.  That is what you are ultimately working towards.”  His voice is very low and I’m not sure how to respond.  Maybe he will believe me if I tell him the truth.

 

    “I didn’t bully her, she made everything up because she is the one bullying me.”  A whole minute passes by before anything happens.  He slowly gets up from his chair and meticulously comes closer to me.

 

    “Look at me,” he says as he leans in.  When I do his eyes are emotionless.  With all of his strength he slaps me across the face.  My surroundings become fuzzy and I can’t see straight.  “Don’t ever talk back to me.”  Somehow I end up on the floor trying to regain my senses.  When I do I realized father has left.  I pull myself back up and asess myself to see if he gave me a concussion.  It would not be the first time.

 

    No tears fall from my face, I don’t let them.  Right now I just want some fresh air.  Luckily it’s dark enough outside now that people won’t be able to see the newly developing bruised skin.  When something like this happens I usually try to find some body of water, for some reason I find the sound of running water very relaxing to me.  After walking for about five minutes I manage to find a small river flowing through an unknown part of town.

 

    Not many people are walking this street and I go to sit close to the water and take my shoes off.  I stick my feet in and lay back looking up at the huge city around me.  I wish you could see the stars but because of all the lights you can’t.  That’s one thing I truly miss about the country, star gazing.

 

    A noise snaps me back to reality, I hear footsteps approaching me.  When I look over to see who it is, Yugyeom’s face appears right next to mine.  It’s very dark so I can only make out his outline but I know it’s him.

 

    “What are you doing here?”  His voice is hard and it makes me flinch a little, reminding me of what just happened.

 

    “Thinking.”  I don’t feel like dealing with him or any of the others right now.  I just want to be alone.  Yugyeom surprises me by taking off his shoes and putting his feet in the water too.

 

    “This is where I come to think too.”  He lays down next to me and looks up at the sky as well.

 

    Curiosity gets the better of me and I just have to ask.  “What are you thinking about?”  He lets out a deep sigh.

 

    “I really like this girl and want to ask her out on a date but I think she is too afraid of me.”  I was not expecting him to say that.  Heck, I would not think he would be the one to like a girl like that.  I mean, they all kind of have a reputation for being players who take what they want when they want.  Just look at how Jackson is treating me.

 

    “Show her something to not be afraid of.  Show her someone she wants to love.”  The words roll off of my tongue before I can think about it.  Probably not the best thing to be telling a gang member, show emotion and be loving, but it’s the only thing I can think of.

 

    “The rest of us want to see you.  They are all pretty upset that you didn’t respond all day.  I have to take you back to our house.”  Wait does that mean he was following me.  Does he know?

 

    “How long have you been following?”

 

    “I was on my way to your apartment when I saw you walking towards here, why?”  He quickly sits up and looks closer, “did something happen?”  I cover my face quickly and put some space in between us.

 

    “No.”  I answer too quickly for even me to be convinced.

 

    “Please come into the light.”  Yugyeom walks over to one of the street lamps and patiently waits for me to follow.  I know I can’t outrun him, and I don’t feel like being manhandled or being beaten up anymore tonight, so I do what he wants.  My eyes stay glued to his as I walk more and more into the light.  With every step I take I can see his face filling up with shock and horror.

 

    “I just want to be alone.”  That’s my breaking point.  I can feel a single tear escape my eye and roll down my chin.  Before I can do anything Yugyeom wraps his arms around me and gently hugs me.  I don’t even know how badly I’m crying until I pull away and see his shirt is soaked.  Great, you just showed weakness in front of one of the gang members, way to be.

 

    Almost like Yugyeom reads my mind he wipes away my tears and gives me a comforting smile.  He actually smiled at me.  “Don’t worry, I won’t say that you cried.”  Now it’s my turn to give him a smile.

 

    “Thank you.”  He nods for me to follow him and I do.  No reason to avoid another inevitable thing that is going to happen.  I just hope it goes better than the event with my parents.  I’m surprised to see their place is only a five minute walk away from where we were.  It’s a decent sized building and Yugyeom tells me that all seven of them live together in the apartment.  Going up the elevator I feel a pit at the bottom of my stomach.

 

    The doors open and the six are sitting on the couch watching television.  JB is the first to realize that we showed up and quickly comes over.  “Ya, Seolhyun, we have been trying to get a hold of you all day.  Answer our messages.”  He is yelling and approaching quickly and I unintentionally cringe.  Yugyeom stands in front of me to  block me and he gives JB a look.  Silent words are exchanged between them and the rest of the boys start walking towards me, first with anger clearly written on their face, then one of confusion.

 

    Where we are standing it’s still dark so none of them could fully see my face.  That is until Junior turns on the hall light and the room becomes dead silent.  There is a mirror next to me and I can take my own appearance in.  The side of my face has a nasty red hand print and my check is swollen like a ballon.  The other side is turning a dark purple, I must have hit it when I fell on the floor.  The sound of something breaking causes me to jump.  Jackson has literally punched a hole in the wall.  He is breathing heavily and his face is full of pure rage.

 

    “Whoever did this to you will pay.”  He continues to punch things, almost like he is throwing a tantrum.  Everything happens so quickly, one minute the members are trying to calm him down, the next thing you know he throws a pot of fake flowers that hits me square in the head.  

 

    The last thing I remember is hitting the cold hard floor and seeing the darkness consume me.