First Encounter

Beauty and the Gang

    Most people would think that it is absolutely ridiculous being up at 5 in the morning, in fact my own parents are not even up to start their day.  I on the other hand find it essential to begin the day.  My family just moved from a small town in the middle of no where to the bustling city of Seoul.  Father thought it would be best to enroll me in the most elite prep school so I could fulfill his dream of becoming a doctor and graduating from Harvard Medical School.

 

    Up until this point, I have been home schooled, and no not by my parents but from the best teachers that money could buy.  Since this is my first day I want to make a good impression on the teachers, so I am going in early to catch up on all the work that I missed so far.

 

    Getting out of bed I begin my morning routine.  An hour later I look in the mirror to see myself.  My black hair was perfectly straight, cascading down my back and my makeup looked very natural.  The new uniform fits a little too tightly than I would like but I can’t do anything about it now.  My unusually blue eyes stare back at me.  No one in my family has blue eyes like mine and my parents chalked it up as some genetic mutation.

 

    It’s now six in the morning and school is just a short ten minute walk away so I set off with a bag full of books.  I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bit excited.  My whole life has been staying in the family dining room and having stuffy teachers come in and out.

 

    The commute to school is uninteresting and once you turn on to the school street it’s almost impossible to miss. The school looks like a modern castle with big letters towering over the top reading ‘Namsan Prep.’  I smile and head to the classroom that was assigned to me.  I walk to class 1-A and am glad to see my new teacher sitting at the desk already.

    “Annyeonghaseyo,” I say as I bow to him.  He gives me a warm smile.

 

    “You must be the new student Seolhyun?”  I nod and return his smile.  “I’ll give you the material we have covered so far and if you need any help before class starts at seven just let me know.”  He points me to a place to sit and I begin to review.

 

    People begin to trickle in and take their seats while I flip throw the pages of material.  Calculus, Statistics, Korean, English, Japanese, Chemistry, Biology, History, nothing looks too unfamiliar. In fact, there is nothing new on this list, well that’s a relief   .  I don’t like being behind.

 

    “Good morning class, today we have a new student, so please come up and introduce yourself.”  I cooly standup and head to the front.

 

    “Annyeonghaseyo Seolhyun imnida.  I just moved here form the country with my parents.”  I give everybody a slight bow and go back to my seat.  The teacher begins the lessons for the day and everything is relatively easy.  Nothing that I haven’t learn yet and it’s surprisingly refreshing.

 

    Lunch time comes around and everyone rushes for the lunch room.  I’m not sure where it is so I just follow the crowd.  The cafeteria is packed with teenagers rushing to get their food and socializing with their friends.  I find a secluded empty table and sit down and begin to each my lunch.  Not two minutes later a bouncy short haired brunette comes practically running to my table.

 

    “Oh my gosh are you the new student?  I heard you are in class 1-A, that means you are really smart!  I also heard that your last school had to kick you out because you were too smart.  Oh and I also heard that you already have a fan club on school because all the boys think your really pretty.”  I slowly continued to chew my food as my one eyebrow raised at her.

 

    “Omo you are so cool please please please help me.  If you are really smart I need all the help I can get and it would be so cool if I was friends with you because I don’t have a whole lot of friends in general because I’m like at the bottom of the class and everybody makes fun of people in those stupid classes.”  Wow, I don’t think this girl breathes in between her sentences.

    Then again I should probably try and make some friends.  “After regular school hours I’ll meet you in your classroom to study.”  Her eyes become huge as she takes a dramatic breath in.

 

    “Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!  Okay I’m in class 1-F, oh and I completely forgot to tell you my name, it’s Minji!”  I think she wanted to stay and chat but I was done with my lunch so I headed back to the classroom.

 

    Surprisingly there is somebody eating their lunch alone in the room.  Not even the teacher is in there.  I casually walk in but as soon as the door closes behind me the boy jumps out of his seat and looks like he is ready to run.  Once he sees me he lets out a big sigh.

 

    “Are you okay?”  I give the boy a confused look.  He is a little bit on the pudgy side, with a cute baby face and big square glasses.  He looks like a cute teddy bear.  

 

    “Yea, uh, sorry about that.”  Without even a second thought he goes back to eating.

 

    “Why are you in here by yourself?”

 

    “Uh, please don’t tell anyone about this.”  Just like that he gets up and makes a run for the door.  What in the world?  People begin to come back from lunch and the second part of class begins.

 

    Most of the class is writing down everything the professor says, and before your know it class is over and I’m heading to 1-F to meet Minji.  It’s only down the hall and I can already hear Minji talking.

 

    “Yea so I asked the new girl if she could come and help us because she is really smart and she said she would!  We’re all saved!”  Following that I hear loud cheers erupting.  What have I gotten myself into?

 

    When I walk in everybody becomes quiet and stares at me.  I give them a bored expression and go straight to Minji.  “I said I would help you not the whole class.”  She gives me a nervous look and starts playing with her hair.

 

    “Well I was thinking that if you were a nice enough person to help me you would help everybody.”  I don’t say anything, just give her a blank stare.  Thats when she basically throws herself on the ground begging me to help them, followed by everybody else in the room.

 

    “Fine, what do you need help in?”

 

    “Everything.”  Great.  Where do I start?

 

    “Start doing your homework and studying, and if you need help with a specific problem ask me.”  After saying that I open my own homework and begin.  That is until a flood of people start asking me questions.

 

    Two hours pass by and the room is full of silent people working.  It almost brings a tear to my eye.  I pull out my sandwich that I packed for dinner and begin to eat.  I was practicing my Japanese when I noticed that everyones attention was on something or someone.  Raising my head I see a group of guys, seven in total, across the front of the room.  Their wearing the school uniforms but modified them to be more black somehow.  Their cold eyes scan the room, searching for someone.  Minji grabs my arm, almost warning me not to move.

 

    “Where’s Namjoon?”  The one with silvery blonde hair asks in a stone cold voice.  It almost runs a shiver down my spine.  Almost.

 

    When nobody answers the black haired one who emits a leader aura picks up the teacher’s pencil holder and chucks in across the room.  It hits the wall and makes a sickening cracking noise, shattering into a million pieces.  “He asked you a question idiots now answer him.”

 

    “Why do you want to know where Namjoon is?”  A guy from the back asks.  Their is an audible gasp from the room and the other blonde one wearing a snapback slowly starts to walk towards him.  Minji grasps my arm even tighter, probably leaving nail marks.

 

    Snapback guy grabs the questioner and starts punching him mercilessly.  My face changes to one of pure horror as I hear the poor man in pain.  Nobody moves to help him and I can see the look of happiness from the guys in the front watching.  Each sickening crunch of knuckles connecting to face brings more and more memories of the past flooding back into my head.  The screaming, the blood, the flash of light, it all comes running back to me and I can’t take it any more.

 

    That’s when I stand up and run to the back and use all of my strength to push snapback guy off.  I stand in between the two, all eyes are glued to me.  Everybody looks either shocked or utterly horrified and on the inside I’m both of those, but I have dealt with guys like these before, and you can’t show them anything.

 

    The boy gives an amused look as he looks me up and down.  “I hear your new here, so you either go on a date with me or join your friend here with a broken face, and I would hate to destroy such a pretty face.”  He reaches out to touch my check but I quickly slap it away.

 

    “Like I would ever even consider going out with someone as sick and disgusting as you.”  Everything happens so fast.  My back was roughly pushed against the hard wall.  His arms are on either side of my head and his face is so close that our noses are touching.  He his lips like he’s a lion deciding which part to eat first.  He lets out a deep chuckle.

 

    “I like you, you’re mine now, don’t forget it.”  He leans in and starts kissing my neck.  It feels gross and completely wrong and I do the first thing that comes to mind.  My knee connects with his little me and he squeals and drops to the floor.

 

    “Don’t touch me you swine.”  I walk past him and gather my things and leave.  Past every look and even the six who also look completely shocked.  I can’t help but walk faster than I normally would.  I just want to get home and as far away from that as possible.  Hurried footsteps can be heard behind me, causing me to pick up the pace as well.  That is until I hear a familiar voice.

 

    “Seolhyun, wait up!”  It was Minji.  “That was amazing what you did back there!  No body has ever stood up to GOT7.”

 

    I turn around and wait for her to catch up before I continue heading home.  “What?”

 

    “They call themselves GOT7.  They are the local gang that basically runs the school.  Even the teachers are afraid of them and do whatever they say.  Nobody knows how they got all the control but they have had it over the school since the leader, JB, entered the school.”  She pulls out her phone and shows me a picture of all of them.  “This is the leader, JB, this is BamBam, the talker, Yuygeom, the one who isn’t afraid of anything, Youngjae, the debt collector, Junior, right hand man to JB, Mark, the silent one, and Jackson, the fighter and player.”

 

    “Why do you have a picture of them on your phone?"

 

    “It’s incase of emergencies.  If you don’t know one of them they also will beat you up.  One time they gave Wooyoung a broken arm because he called Yuygeom Youngjae.”  Wow, that’s a little excessive.  “By the way, nobody has ever turned down Jackson like that!  You should probably be careful.”

 

    I don’t say anything, just turn my head towards her.  We reached the entrance and I was wondering if she was planning on heading home.  “So, it’s ten at night.”

 

    “Oh my gosh ten!  I have never been in school that long, thats fifteen hours!  Holy crap my parents are probably worried sick!”  She then takes off and runs out to door.  I can’t help but laugh.  I decide to head home as well, I have to think over everything that happened.  Hopefully none of this reaches my parents or else they would have a fit and start homeschooling me again.