01/01

Spontaneous

Kyungsoo decides that he hates the number zero. He precisely remembers the TV this morning saying "zero percent chance of rain today! Take the day to enjoy the warm summer sun folks!" How ironic he thinks as he stares at the grey clouds, leaving trails of rain as they move about the city. The dull walls of his office leave him with little to do as he spins around in his seat (he was never good at sitting still). Taking his hand, he places it facing up on the hard desk of his office, cool to the touch and sending a trail of goosebumps up his arm. For the fiftieth time that day, he stares at the timer on his wrist, the numbers engraved on his skin going down by the second. The numbers seem to be tattooed onto his skin, black characters sinking into his skin and demanding attention every moment of his life.

He notices that nobody really questions it, more so embraces how it came to be. "Timers that appear on your wrist from the moment you are born, counting down to the moment you meet your soulmate." ("Dude it's like a GIF on your wrist!" Kyungsoo remembers Jongdae shouting, right before he had smacked the boy on the arm with a glare. Of course he had nothing to worry about anymore, Kyungsoo thought as he stared longingly at his best friend's arm wrapped around Joonmyun in comfort. Lucky bastard he cursed, staring at their wrists, a prominent 00:00:00 emblazoned on their skin to seal their fate). Looking at his wrist again, he sees that another minute has passed, and he can feel his heart clench for a moment. 59... 58... 57... He wonders if his soulmate is doing the same thing, staring at his wrist, willing the time to pass so he can finally meet Kyungsoo. His cheeks warm at the thought. He can't help but think about what they'll look like. Will it be a boy? A girl? What kind of hair will they have, and what color eyes will he fall asleep to and wake up to every morning? A giggle escapes from his mouth, and the people in the neighboring cubicles glance at Kyungsoo as he bounces up and down in his chair. Not even the rain could bring down his mood, and how could it when he's going to see his soulmate today? Three more hours until the timer on his wrist would stop, three more hours until he had someone to come home to, someone to hold in the dark hours of the night. He longed to hold his wrist up to his lover and see the numbers stay still instead of counting down, mocking him in the late hours of the evening (the dark circles under his eyes have become too prominent to be hidden).

"Ahem."

He looked up, only to look back down again and shrink in his seat.

"Mr. Do, I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I would appreciate it much more if it were directed towards your work." his boss says with a stern voice.

Kyungsoo can barely mumble a "yes sir" before he's moving onto the next cubicle, certainly to repeat the same monologue. A sigh escapes his lips, but with one more look at the numbers on his wrist, he straightens his back and faces the piles of papers on his desk. Just three more hours.

-----

Kyungsoo decides that his boss is much worse than zeros as he runs through the building, rushing to get to his car. The bastard decided to hold Kyungsoo back, dropping off piles of paperwork to be finished immediately. "They are of utmost importance Mr. Do." he had said in a haughty tone. Kyungsoo willed himself not to shove the papers down his throat, reminding himself that today was the day.

The rain has subsided a bit, but a few droplets here and there sprinkle onto his neck and dampen his white button down. He's probably going to look like a hobo that tried too hard when he meets the potential love of his life, but he could care less when they're bound to meet in five minutes"," he mumbles under his breath, shoving the keys into his car and starting the engine. He nearly hits his coworker trying to back out of the parking garage, but the most he can manage is a "Sorry Chanyeol!" (which he probably can't even hear) as he speeds out of the building. He doesn't even know why he's rushing home because he's going to meet his soulmate regardless of where he is, but he can't help but to press on the pedal a little harder, willing his old car to go just a bit faster. As fate would have it, he hits nearly all the red lights on his way, and with each second that counts down, more profanities fly out of Kyungsoo's mouth. His eyes bulge when he glances down at his wrist. Since when did five minutes become 30 seconds? His eyes are flying left and right, scanning the people on the streets for somebody, anybody to make eye contact with. The light turns green again, and Kyungsoo stomps on the accelorator, becoming desperate as each second passes.

10 more seconds.

7 seconds.

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

The last thing Kyungsoo sees before he crashes into the other car is a pair of almond eyes and tousled brown hair, sitting in the driver's seat with a shocked expression gracing his flawless face.

-----

Kyungsoo feels rather than sees everything before he wakes up. The left side of his body is aching, and he can hear a faint beeping noise in the background. As soon as he opens his eyes, he's blinded by how white everything is (he misses the grey walls of his office already). He groans as he gets up, and he can hear a slight gasp as he looks around the room.

Beautiful.

That's the first thing Kyungsoo thinks of as he makes eye contact with those same almond eyes, piercing into his soul and filling his body with emotions he never knew he could possess. "I-I wouldn't move if I were you. The doctor advised you to stay still." It takes Kyungsoo a moment to realize that those words are coming from the stranger to his right, lying in a bed and draped in white sheets similarly to him. Kyungsoo thinks that he looks like an angel, wrapped in white and brown hair framing his face in perfect chaos. His tan skin seems to glow against the contrasting sheets, and he's immediately drawn to how plump his lips look. And then it hits him.

He frantically moves about the bed, momentarily forgetting about the gorgeous stranger as he stares at his wrist.

00:00:00

The zeros on his skin are the same black as before, spaced perfectly on his wrist as they seemingly stare back up at him. "Holy ." is what manages to fly out of his mouth, but Kyungsoo was never really elegant. "Can I see your wrist?" Kyungsoo says, or really shouts as he turns to the man at his right, hissing when he feels his side pulse in pain. The man seems to understand immediately what Kyungsoo is thinking, even moving out of his bed and placing himself on the seat next to his bed. Six zeros stand out on the man's sun-kissed skin, and before he can even register what's happening, he feels a pair of soft lips touch his own, barely touching him, yet leaving him with a feeling of bliss running through his veins.

"My name is Kim Jongin," the stranger- no, Jongin, says while moving his hands to caress Kyungsoo's face. "I can't say that that was the most ideal way to meet my soulmate," he says, laughing as Kyungsoo leans forward to lose himself in those lips again, "but I'll make it up to you?" The hopeful gleam in his eyes makes it hard for Kyungsoo not to giggle, and he nods as he introduces himself and wraps small arms around Jongin's neck. With one last glance to their wrists, wrapped together as their hands intertwine, Kyungsoo thinks that he could get used to zeros after all.

 

---

a/n: it's been so long! wow i've been busy. anyways, i've had this on my mind for like...a really long time. if you guys didn't understand, then it's just soulmate!au with a timer on your wrist and like kyungsoo and jongin got in a car accident with each other /LAUGHS FOR TEN MILLION YEARS/ because that's the most romantic way to meet you feel me? hope you guys like it, and i may or may not have more ideas for this au...enjoy! <3