School

Unmatched

"Come on Mira. One more!" I wheeze, my breath coming out in ragged huffs. I raise my upper body from the floor, using my exhausted muscles to raise my stomach to my thighs. Once the contact is made, I drop my back to the floor, smiling at the release of pain, caused by the strain on my muscles. My sweat drenched body, loves the coolness of the floor. I take out a breath and smile. I lay on the floor thinking about almost nothing. I get up and look at the gym around me, it's empty. No one but the trainers were here so early, trying to fit in their own workouts in a day filled with training. I scan the area around me and look for my bag. I see it on the floor, slumped beside the weight racks. I slowly walk towards my bag, my muscles tinging with pain at the movements. After grabbing my bag I walk towards the women's shower room.

The hot stream of water helps my muscles relax and the sour sweat runs down my almost toned body. I sigh in relief. Look down at myself, I no longer see the layers of fat blocking the front and sides of my body. I smile to myself. My journey had started almost two years ago. Back then climbing the stairs at school was hard to bear. It was hard to look back at those days, when I was way overweight and walking into a room caused every eye in the room to turn towards me, and along with the unfriendly prattle of talk. It had been so much fun to see those same people look at me with surprise, matching another type of face to my voice. That face was not the one they were seeing, they thought it was impossible, to see me fit and healthy, and definitely not fat.

I turn off the tap, and the warm stream of heat stops. I grab the towel and wrap it around me. I brush out my black hair, pushing it out of my unblemished pale face. Walking out I scan the room for people, and almost laugh, no one was here. Smiling I pull on my school uniform after drying myself off. I slowly start drying my hair, not doing anything to protect the thick bundle of hair from the harsh heat of the blow dryer. Once I dry my thick hair, I put on my fake nerd glasses, nudging them up on my nose. I straighten my skirt, pulling it down, hoping that it would cover more of my toned thighs.

Looking into the mirror, the person, so different from the one I had been used to seeing two years ago. Her black hair is down, the thick mass of straight hair reaching almost to the bottom of my small, but visible s. The girls face a perfect oval shape, the stunning blue eyes, enviable to the sapphire they matched. The bright blue eyes were tilted, the only thing that showed her Korean fathers features. I try and stand up straighter, all my 157 cm pathetically trying to stretch taller.

I slump down, tired of trying to be taller. I look at myself in the mirror, fixing my white blouse, tucking it in my skirt. I reach for my tie, and grab nothing. I tare my gaze away from myself and go through my backpack. Nothing. Then go through my gym bag. Again nothing. "Where is it?" I mutter to myself. I dig through the pile of clothing on the counter in front of me. I look for the bright blueness of the tie and once again find nothing. I must have left it at home. I realize, thinking to myself. Shrugging, I start putting away my belongings. While I work on organizing myself I think about how today was going to work. First day of school. I hope I can make myself invisible, without people forcing me into the spotlight. I don't want to end up popular, I just want to read and learn. But mostly read.

Once I'm done going through and organizing my things, I sling my backpack onto my shoulder and my hand holds onto the gym bag. I stare at myself, still standing in front of the mirror. Sighing I wonder about what school will bring on. Challenges, and most likely, unwanted attention.